Thread: Dumb things small businesses do that cause them to fail

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Dumb things small businesses do that cause them to fail

1) Overspending on startup costs: Paying a fortune for an elaborate website when your business has nothing to do with the internet? Over-decorating your place of business when basic, no-frills ambiance would serve just as well? Renting a large space for a lot of money when you are unlikely to need it all? Spending way more on advertising than is likely to ever result in sales? These are all big mistakes small business owners make up front, and even if they can afford the initial "hit", it gives them little room for error down the road, and greatly increases the chance of failure.

2) Letting ego get in the way: Do you see your customers as doing you a favor by patronizing your business, or are you doing them a favor by providing your services? If it's the latter, there's a high chance your business will fail. If you are gruff, inflexible, and untrusting of your customers, they won't come back. Remember the Subway franchise owner who told me I could only have my tomato in the sandwich, and not on the side? That's letting your ego get in the way.

3) Pinching short-term pennies: It's tempting to buy low-quality food or materials, refusing to give complimentary meals/services when you or your employees screw up, and to skimp on otherwise inexpensive items that will just annoy your customers. (For example, I know a McDonald's franchise owner who only lets people have just 2 ketchup packets per food item ordered!) Like the ego situation, this will drive people away, and you will be left wondering where all of your customers went. While cutting waste is always important in any business, skimping in essential areas will kill you.

4) Not hiring or empowering competent managers: Unless you are actively running your business every day, you will need to hire managers to do the job for you. These managers need to be ego-free, and capable of handling requests and issues that are outside the box. It is tempting to hire inexperienced or unintelligent managers and pay them very little, but your business will suffer royally when they fail to rise to the everyday challenges of dealing with customers and their complaints/issues. You need to have faith that your managers can handle everything as well as you can. Otherwise, you are letting someone else destroy your business.

5) Blaming the customer for your own failures: This goes along with the "ego" item in #2, but is a bit more specific. Basically, if a customer is complaining about something, and you know he's right, you should blame yourself (or your employees) and not the customer for raising the issue. I'll give an example. About 10 years ago, my then-girlfriend and I tried a new breakfast place. They messed up her order really badly. She returned it, and the replacement order was also flubbed badly. The owner was present, who apologized, made sure it was made right, and gave us a free meal certificate for next time as compensation for the trouble. So far, so good, right? Except when we came back, AGAIN they messed up the order badly. The owner came out, and instead of profusely apologizing for this occurring the second visit in a row, he decided he was simply done with us as customers. "I can't offer you guys anything again," he said. "It just seems like it's not working out for you as customers here." He fully admitted that his kitchen staff was botching the orders and that none of this was our fault, but he simply didn't want us as customers because our meals were screwed up in both of our visits, and we were unhappy about it. Not surprisingly, the place closed about a year later.

6) Over-couponing: Some businesses think they are clever by jacking up their base prices, and then regularly offering coupons in local magazines to bring the price back down for value-minded patrons. They think this is brilliant because the Jewish people like me feel like they're getting money off, while the non-frugal customers are paying more than they otherwise would. Unfortunately, this model only works if you make coupons readily and easily available at all times. Otherwise, you train your regular customers to simply avoid your business (especially if it's something non-essential, like a restaurant) if you don't have a coupon out, or if they can't find one. It's best to keep coupons fairly infrequent and more promotional, and to just lower your base prices to something more reasonable.

7) Anal-retentive coupon policies: The point of offering coupons is to attract new business and encourage repeat business. It is NOT to make people get into your doors by an arbitrary date, or to force them to exercise their printer. Unless it's some kind of special promotion, you are a fool to refuse to accept coupons that expired last week. Unless you have a real problem with your cashier falsely claiming coupons were used and pocketing the difference, you should accept a cell phone display of a coupon just as well as a printed-out coupon. Basically, use common sense, rather than being a pointless stickler for rules. If someone brings in a $2 off coupon that expired 3 days ago, let them use it, and make sure your managers understand the same. Otherwise you're just pissing people off and actually shooting yourself in the foot by offering these coupons in the first place.

8) Overpricing: It's hard to succeed with a small business, especially with a limited customer base. Often times, business owners attempt to make up for this by raising their prices to ridiculously high levels. While you will always find your share of stupid consumers who will pay too much, you will eventually lose most customers (or fail to get them in the first place) if your prices are too high. Often times, small business owners believe that their service is special or of such high quality that their high prices are justified. Usually that is delusion, and even if true, the customers won't realize or appreciate it. While charging too little can also hurt a business (for obvious reasons), charging too much can be even worse.

9) Overhiring: Sometimes you only need 3 employees to get the job done, but you're hiring 10. That's not going to work. If you have employees that spend a lot of time standing around and not having any work to do, you have probably hired too many people.

10) Poor choice of location: What can appear to be a great location can actually be a disasterous one. Are you on a major street with lots of traffic? You might think that's a great location for a business, but not if that street is primarily used for commuting rather than locals traveling within the immediate area. Perhaps you think you've found a great location for your burger place, neglecting the fact that a highly successful chain burger place is 1 block away. Maybe you're selling merchandise aimed at people 50 and over, in a town where most residents are young. Maybe you're trying to sell high-end stuff in what appears to be a wealthy neighborhood, but is in reality a place where people are house-rich but cash-poor. Maybe you just opened up in a place where parking is such a pain in the ass that they don't feel like coming to you. Always do research about the location of your business. Figure out why the previous businesses in your spot are no longer there. For example, if you are opening a restaurant in a spot where 3 other restaurants have failed in the last 8 years, you are almost surely going to fail, as well.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I agree with most of this. However I would argue that it's pretty important for most businesses to have a website (or at least online presence), and you don't have to spend a fortune getting a basic one.

If these are in any particular order, location should be higher.

Load Metric
    worst thread druff ever made, cut and past garbage.

you and the idiot who wrote this know nothing about owning your own business.

to many chiefs and not enough indians is #1
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    This really sounds like small restaurant businesses ..

The main thing that sinks a small business or any business for that matter is not providing what the market wants. The idea that you can "sell" as a small business is goofy. You cannot create a market - all you can do is serve the market that is there. Then you have to be competitive in pricing and quality and especially reliable in delivery. And then when you make a mistake - you fix it promptly. A funny thing actually happens when you goof and fix it promptly - you actually cement a relationship in many cases. But the second time you goof - you have lost them - maybe not right away, but as soon as they can easily switch.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I agree with just about all of this.

For example their is money to be made in the restaurant market but it's very competitive. An individuals first impression helps dictate whether the customer will be back for repeat business and if their experience is bad the fact is they tell like ten times as many people of that horrible experience compared to a good one.

Over-advertising and putting out tons of coupons isn't necessary but within reason can help bring people into the place which if their experience is good they likely will come back.

A lot of new restaurant owners need to see what places in their area are successful and really think about why they are. This might seem so basic yet they don't do this.

The key is an overall pleasant atmosphere which includes service, quality food/drinks, cleanness, and pricing which is "fair" that can be determined by these business owners just looking into what prices are common among their area. You want to charge the most you can that people will pay and be fine with. So much money is lost in the bar business as well from stupid staff over pouring and giving out free drinks. I've been to local bars that I had the hook up getting tons of free shit from them and while I'll gladly accept it the bartenders are really killing the owners bottom line.

Too much over-spending goes on all the time in small business and people are terrible at seeing reality until it's too late.

Some owners are not active enough in the everyday operations. Once the business gets going if it's off to a fast start they sort of step back as if it runs on auto-pilot which it don't. You should always be looking for new ways to increase your profitability.

Load Metric
    Druff, if you were to open a chain restaurant, which one would you pick?
    TRUMP 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by verminaard View Post
    Just non-stop unrelenting LGBT propaganda being shoved down our throats.

Load Metric
    Druff been reading too many WSO's.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    worst thread druff ever made, cut and past garbage.

you and the idiot who wrote this know nothing about owning your own business.

to many chiefs and not enough indians is #1
    I wrote this myself.

It was not a cut and paste of anything.

This list was not in order of importance. I admit that the location thing should be at or near the top.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I agree with most of this. However I would argue that it's pretty important for most businesses to have a website (or at least online presence), and you don't have to spend a fortune getting a basic one.
    I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Having a website is important for any business.

Spending a ton of money on an elaborate website (say, for a small restaurant) is a waste.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear enough.

Having a website is important for any business.

Spending a ton of money on an elaborate website (say, for a small restaurant) is a waste.
    There is more cost in marketing the website than the cost of the website itself. Say if you have a new pizza place in Sacramento, you want everyone who pulls up their mobile and googles 'pizza in Sacramento' for you to pop up right on top - that doesn't happen by accident. Then there is SMS marketing which is separate but integral to getting people to respond to offers. If it's more high end then say a take away chip shop then you may want a reservation system for online bookings and maybe something to digitally print Gift Certificates with QR Codes.

For the same price you could have a couple of kids flyer the neighborhood with some 4 color handbills.. once.

Load Metric
    Weird list Druff...You left out

Failing to properly develop customer relationships from day 1 (a customer can be kept happy, might compromise, but once they walk out that door unhappy you lost a customer for life)

Failing to properly value the merchandise (I worked for a guy who literally ran a nutrition store like it was a bargain basement used car lot right out of a comic strip and he never ever sold anything to anyone without giving a heavy discount. Obviously discounts kill sales because people start to think the things the store is selling might be worthless or close to it...)

Not aggressively pursuing customers in the hopes of establishing repeat business (out of sight out of mind. I used to write down every persons email address at a minimum and every 2-3 weeks I would send out a mass emailing of whatever crap I wanted to talk about and discount. The point was, people knew we still existed, which is crucial! people are stoopid and easily swayed to a cheaper competitor who offers worse service unbelievably)

Allowing bills to pile up which ends up damaging inventory and thus sales (my employer owed the state franchise tax board 15k and no joke they came to the store and asked I shut it down and we could not operate until he coughed up all the cash at once. What the guy had been doing was when sales were sluggish he would pinch the tax account because if you order from corporate say a $5k order you might get 15% off, but if you buy 10k at a time the discount jumps to like 35% etc so my boss reasoned lowering the purchases because sales were slow would kill the business so he "borrowed" tax money from the state to pay whatever was missing from the orders. His name is not micon I swear on my life.

Not advertising effectively. Shockingly many many businesses do very little to no advertising at all.

Not staying cutting edge with regard to technology and whatever the latest trends are.

I can't say I ever printed or accepted one single fucking coupon, in fact if any customer of mine waltzed into my store one day and proudly began to snip a .12$ coupon out of a little booklet so they could buy some protein, I don't know what I would have said.

Coupons?
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Most of Druff's ideas are on the customer service/marketing side.

I would add controlling costs, and for any kind of fast food business, making sure you employees aren't comping thier friends.

Also not keeping enough cash/capital in reserve to last through buisness fluctuations although that only matters after the company's product/service proves viable (poker players know this as having an adequate bankroll)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GrenadaRoger View Post

I would add controlling costs, and for any kind of fast food business, making sure you employees aren't comping thier friends.

Also not keeping enough cash/capital in reserve to last through buisness fluctuations although that only matters after the company's product/service proves viable (poker players know this as having an adequate bankroll)
    I literally just said that.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

Failing to properly develop customer relationships from day 1 (a customer can be kept happy, might compromise, but once they walk out that door unhappy you lost a customer for life)

Failing to properly value the merchandise (I worked for a guy who literally ran a nutrition store like it was a bargain basement used car lot right out of a comic strip and he never ever sold anything to anyone without giving a heavy discount. Obviously discounts kill sales because people start to think the things the store is selling might be worthless or close to it...)

Not aggressively pursuing customers in the hopes of establishing repeat business (out of sight out of mind. I used to write down every persons email address at a minimum and every 2-3 weeks I would send out a mass emailing of whatever crap I wanted to talk about and discount. The point was, people knew we still existed, which is crucial! people are stoopid and easily swayed to a cheaper competitor who offers worse service unbelievably)

Allowing bills to pile up which ends up damaging inventory and thus sales (my employer owed the state franchise tax board 15k and no joke they came to the store and asked I shut it down and we could not operate until he coughed up all the cash at once. What the guy had been doing was when sales were sluggish he would pinch the tax account because if you order from corporate say a $5k order you might get 15% off, but if you buy 10k at a time the discount jumps to like 35% etc so my boss reasoned lowering the purchases because sales were slow would kill the business so he "borrowed" tax money from the state to pay whatever was missing from the orders. His name is not micon I swear on my life.

Not advertising effectively. Shockingly many many businesses do very little to no advertising at all.

Not staying cutting edge with regard to technology and whatever the latest trends are.

I can't say I ever printed or accepted one single fucking coupon, in fact if any customer of mine waltzed into my store one day and proudly began to snip a .12$ coupon out of a little booklet so they could buy some protein, I don't know what I would have said.

Coupons?
    Pay Vegas you bag of shit.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Allow me.....shut the fuck up you bald headed leprechaun...no one cares whether you breathe another breath....I would personally step on your jugular if you asked a simple question.

While I'm at it HockeyGuy has proven to be the biggest bitch on this forum....If you go back to the onset of this forum you will see HockeyGuy telling the world

that he is out of here on page one.......because he is so sensitive and can't deal with anything other than women issues. What a fag

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

Allow me.....shut the fuck up you bald headed leprechaun...no one cares whether you breathe another breath....I would personally step on your jugular if you asked a simple question.

While I'm at it HockeyGuy has proven to be the biggest bitch on this forum....If you go back to the onset of this forum you will see HockeyGuy telling the world

that he is out of here on page one.......because he is so sensitive and can't deal with anything other than women issues. What a fag
    You're nothing but a drunken phony/fraud.

I've yet to apologize the next day & blame alcohol intake to excuse my actions. That make you the weak bitch, bitch.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

Coupons?
    You own a protein store?

Load Metric

oh really??

....well i normally don't read your stuff

Load Metric

oh really??

....well i normally don't read your stuff

Don't feel too bad. Nobody else does either.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information