Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here quit drinking, cold turkey?

Load Metric

Anyone here quit drinking, cold turkey?

If so, did it work?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by devidee View Post
    If so, did it work?
    What do you mean did it work? Whether you quit cold turkey or not it's what you do after you quit. If you're asking about withdrawal I have zero.zero side effects. Probably because I usually have min. two days between drinking(when I was drinking)

Cold turkey from SSRI's and other meds totally different. Complete hell

Load Metric
    If so, did it work?
    I quit for 2 years, not worth it. Unless you're a violent drunk, in which case you need to quit yesterday.

Load Metric
    TAKE IT DOWN!

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Yeah me, but not permanently. About 5 years ago I snap gave up booze on my birthday. I'd had been drinking too much for too long; every day for quite a while, and nearly always at home, for many years. Knew it was going too far and had to stop. I decided to go completely dry until Christmas, a period of exactly 100 days. The first few days were pretty hellish, but by the two week mark I was over the worst and the rest was quite easy. For the whole 100 days I kept a beer in the fridge, cracked it open on Christmas day, was nearly under the table after just the one having lost my tolerance.

Since then I've done the same thing every year, so I'm now 15 days away from the end of this years 100 sober days. Really glad I do it; it makes me appreciate the booze much more the other 265 days of the year, saves money, I feel healthier and lose weight. Also I now know that I control the booze, not the other way round, I was unsure which way round it was 5 years ago.

Banned
    Load Metric
    My Dad's kind of an alcoholic, drinking 6-10 beers every day for the last 30 years or so. I've seen him quit cold turkey for spurts of 1-2 years effortlessly. All it takes (for him, anyway) is a reason to do it.

I'm no alcoholic, but I swore the stuff off a while ago and am very pleased with the decision.

Load Metric
    If so, did it work?
    after being a binge alcoholic for the past 15 years I quit cold turkey 66 days ago. So far so good, best 2 month period I've had in a long time. I was never really out of shape but probably 15lbs heavier than my optimal and Ive shed that off with ease in the past 2 months, I am more effective with work, spend more time with family and my workouts/sports are a lot better.

To the fella who said quitting is not worth it, why do you say that? What benefits do you get from drinking that out weigh the negatives?

Bronze
    Load Metric
    got a dui causing bodily harm, was on probation for year had serve 90 days jail, been sober since

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    If so, did it work?
    after being a binge alcoholic for the past 15 years I quit cold turkey 66 days ago. So far so good, best 2 month period I've had in a long time. I was never really out of shape but probably 15lbs heavier than my optimal and Ive shed that off with ease in the past 2 months, I am more effective with work, spend more time with family and my workouts/sports are a lot better.

To the fella who said quitting is not worth it, why do you say that? What benefits do you get from drinking that out weigh the negatives?
    For me it's just letting go. I can quit and start without issue. I don't drink every day or even every week. I don't pick up a drink and have to finish the bottle. You seem to be coming from a place where you NEED to drink, so you ain't me. Again, if you are an asshole when you drink, stop. I am much happier when I get loaded.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post

For me it's just letting go. I can quit and start without issue. I don't drink every day or even every week. I don't pick up a drink and have to finish the bottle. You seem to be coming from a place where you NEED to drink, so you ain't me. Again, if you are an asshole when you drink, stop. I am much happier when I get loaded.
    yeah, doesnt sound like your drinking is the type that needs to consider quitting. I dont think I need to drink, all my drinking was driven by good moods and a desire to party and chase women. I was a good drunk btw, happy and fun to be around. My issue is that I could not shut it down and just have a few, anytime I drank I would black the fuck out, spend a ton of money and be out of commission for a few days at a time. IF someone can drink moderately and not have it effect their lives in a negative way I agree, not worth quitting, drinking is damn fun. If you can't control it and it's messing with your life you will be fucking happy you quit.

Banned
    Load Metric

yeah, doesnt sound like your drinking is the type that needs to consider quitting. I dont think I need to drink, all my drinking was driven by good moods and a desire to party and chase women. I was a good drunk btw, happy and fun to be around. My issue is that I could not shut it down and just have a few, anytime I drank I would black the fuck out, spend a ton of money and be out of commission for a few days at a time. IF someone can drink moderately and not have it effect their lives in a negative way I agree, not worth quitting, drinking is damn fun. If you can't control it and it's messing with your life you will be fucking happy you quit.
    Similar thing with me. I never drank much more than once a week, but any time I did I really struggled with moderation. Very seldom would I stop at 4 or 5. It's resulted in some very bad decisions and cost me a lot of money, but I'm also very lucky that worse things haven't happened.

Load Metric

When I quit I was a blackout drunk. People had to tell me what I did the night before, most of it was trying to impregnate people I had no business doing that with. Too many apologies later I just had to stop and reset. Now if I drink 4 beers i'm wasted, used to take 18.

Load Metric
    Im actually concerned about the fact that I dont get addicted to anything....booze, pills, golf. I've always been able to quit anything at anytime, with no regrets.

I just tell myself I dont want that thing and I dont need that thing.

Not sure If I am just a strong willed person, or a whackjob.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Im actually concerned about the fact that I dont get addicted to anything....booze, pills, golf. I've always been able to quit anything at anytime, with no regrets.

souless ginger syndrome

Load Metric

It's a chemical thing, has nothing to do with will power. You are balanced, thus your body and mind are able to perceive that the alcohol is an invader and foreign invaders upset homeostasis, no bueno.

I think you will find your drinking to be the polar opposite of a guy like me for example. I need to drink, you need to find a reason to drink. Big-WORLDS APART- difference. The few times I have taken medications like zoloft and worked out at the gym, I have gotten to the point where I needed to really have a reason to drink otherwise I had no desire for it. My life not being the most stable thing in the universe however tends to put me into bad depressions and in those periods I will steal lie lose jobs it doesn't matter. There is an unquenchable thirst in my chest, right where my heart should be there is this gaping black hole that I have to fill, and nothing on earth can fill it. That is the best description I can give you....

Be thankful you are you. You could be me, and that would be a damned shame.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    While we're at it, what goes good with cold turkey? (google down here)
    Last edited by limitles; 12-10-2012 at 02:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I drink my fair share but I never crave it. I know people who get up at 7am and instead of getting some caffeine or water they pop open a beer. I couldn't ever imagine doing that when I wake up but have drank at 7am obv when I haven't gone to bed yet.

People who need something to go on about their everyday life are going to have a hard time quitting whatever it might be. I can quit drinking for days or weeks anytime I want and have done so. Some days I'll drink 2 beers and some days several beers along with shots it's just whatever I choose to do.

I'm glad I don't smoke cigs and never really have. I like having control of my life and not needing to take several breaks in my day to light up a cancer stick to relax.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post

It's a chemical thing, has nothing to do with will power. You are balanced, thus your body and mind are able to perceive that the alcohol is an invader and foreign invaders upset homeostasis, no bueno.

I think you will find your drinking to be the polar opposite of a guy like me for example. I need to drink, you need to find a reason to drink. Big-WORLDS APART- difference. The few times I have taken medications like zoloft and worked out at the gym, I have gotten to the point where I needed to really have a reason to drink otherwise I had no desire for it. My life not being the most stable thing in the universe however tends to put me into bad depressions and in those periods I will steal lie lose jobs it doesn't matter. There is an unquenchable thirst in my chest, right where my heart should be there is this gaping black hole that I have to fill, and nothing on earth can fill it. That is the best description I can give you....

Be thankful you are you. You could be me, and that would be a damned shame.
    I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as what you're referring to, but I recently learned of a Russian word that describes something similar. Toska.

"No single word in English renders all the shades of toska. At its deepest and most painful, it is a sensation of great spiritual anguish, often without any specific cause. At less morbid levels it is a dull ache of the soul, a longing with nothing to long for, a sick pining, a vague restlessness, mental throes, yearning. In particular cases it may be the desire for somebody of something specific, nostalgia, love-sickness. At the lowest level it grades into ennui, boredom.”
    I've experienced very mild cases of this, where I feel like I want something but I don't know what. I consider eating something, but I'm not really that hungry. Maybe it's a nicotine craving? No, I just smoked 5 minutes ago. It's a very irritating sensation.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Name:  4332495588_50515_387240569680_7529558_n_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg
Views: 1033
Size:  15.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I have 1 to 2 drinks every evening and maybe 3 or 4 at the weekend. I think I've institutionalised my drinking to the point where I don't even consider not having an alcoholic drink with an evening meal; but not to any excess.

So I just heard someone talk about a "Dryathon" for January and I think I'll give it a go - not for any charity reasons but will be a good test of will power. http://www.dryathlon.org.uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Thread Information