Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mcdonalds. Pretty interesting stuff.

Load Metric

Mcdonalds. Pretty interesting stuff.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/17-fac...210043704.html

one of every eight members here should have worked at a Mcd's.

I personally have. I flipped burgers at 16. Who else?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've just applied

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/17-fac...210043704.html

one of every eight members here should have worked at a Mcd's.

I personally have. I flipped burgers at 16. Who else?
    Worked there from age 15-16.

Stole all types of shit on the regular, would pretend like I was taking trash out and take a bag full of danishes to my car mixed in.

Met my best friend to this day there through his girlfriend(at the time) that was a manager (and she still is now).

Load Metric
    I worked at Safeway when I was 16.

95 percent of my friends who were told how awesome they were, and were given everything growing up, now have no skills. They either have shitty jobs or no jobs. Getting into the work force early on helps you get a higher paying job later. Or in my case made me realize there is no fucking way I am going to work for someone and better figure something else out.

Sadly, given the amount of free money the government doles out, in many cases it is better to sit on your ass than get a low paying job.

GG government

Load Metric
    I worked summers and winter holidays at the McDonalds French Fry cart at Disneyland when I was in high school. I never figured out why Disneyland didn't just put in an actual McDonalds there. In all honestly I think that McDonalds french fries are pretty overrated.

Load Metric
    I worked at Krystal's when i was 15.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    15. McDonald's delivers – in 18 countries!

lol

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    I worked at McDonalds when studying at university from 18 to 20.

I did a science course so only had about 12 hours of lectures a week, so it was pretty easy to fit 12 - 15 hours a week at McDs.

Used to work the late shift 6pm to close (in those days opening hours were 10am - 11pm). Once we got the last customer out we put the stereo on and did all the cleaning and re-stocking. Pretty easy money, not much brain power required. Some of the jobs were a bit shitty but overall its not a bad place to work in small doses.

There was a lot of skill working the old-style grill where you had to flip the burgers, especially when it was busy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Did not read the link. I will say this. The best sandwich on the planet is the egg McGuffin with sausage.

Feelin' Stronger Every Day tony bagadonuts's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Didn't work at McDonalds, worked at Arby's when I was 15-17.

American Roast Beef Yes Sir!

Load Metric
    never did real fast food but I did deliver for Dominos

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I used to work at Starbucks, but I got tired of the daily grind.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbuspoker View Post
    never did real fast food but I did deliver for Dominos
    I delivered Dominos and Pizza Hut for 10 years. At 18, the $20 an hour mostly cash was great. At 28 not so much.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here was my job history from high school:

Shortly after I turned 17, I took a job in a computer store, building computers in the back. I worked with a 25-year-old who loved country music, so I was forced to listen to country all day. I hated it, but oddly enough, I got to enjoy country myself about 4 years later. Even though this was a semi-skilled job, I was paid a shit wage (like $6 or $7 per hour) because I was only 17.

That job ended when they moved to Compton (yes, THAT Compton), and it was too far for me to drive for such a low paying position.

Then my senior year in high school came, and I realized I could get away with taking just 4 classes and going home at 12pm every day. I could do this by taking a "work experience" class 5th period, which you really don't have to go to, and you were allowed to take that class if you were expecting to work at least 90 hours in the semester.

I took a new computer store job, for slightly higher pay. The owner was both a scumbag and extremely disorganized. He did not have any kind of real payroll system, so he just withheld 20% from my check for "taxes", without any intention to send the money to the IRS. He also abruptly shut down the store at one point for "inventory" (in reality he was too broke to continue paying anyone), and never told me. The store was just shut down and he wouldn't answer the phone. Needless to say, that job was over. A few months later he reopened, so I went in there and asked for the W-2 forms about the money he had sent to the IRS. He kept stalling me, and finally gave me a form that represented about half of what he really withheld. I complained, and he basically told me to fuck off. I told my dad about this, who went in and pressured him to fix the situation. Instead of fixing the W2, he just wrote a check for the difference to my dad! Pretty sure he never mailed a dime to the IRS, but at least I had a W2 claiming he did, so it was no longer my problem.

However, I had a different problem. I no longer had a job! I had 90 hours of work, so I was fine for that semester, but the new semester started in February. The teacher in charge of the work experience class called up my job to verify I was working, and of course the guy said I was no longer working there, so the teacher called me in and threatened to give me an F if I didn't get a job immediately. I came close to getting some decent computer-type jobs, but nobody wanted to trust a high school kid with anything serious (even though I had turned 18 by then).

Finally I took a supermarket box boy job out of desperation. I was going to work 90 hours exactly and GTFO. I was paid minimum wage.

It was at this job where I learned how awful most low wage employees are treated.

This supermarket was a high-end market in a wealthy neighborhood. If you got "written up" 3 times, you were automatically fired.

I got written up FOUR times, and literally none were my fault.

WRITEUP #1: I was asked by a stocker to help unload some egg cartons from the boxes into the display case. I did it exactly as he asked. I was then called into the manager's office and yelled at. "You didn't fill the display case! It looked very unprofessional to the customers!", he barked. "I filled it up with as many egg cartons as there were. We didn't have any more." He responded, "You should have gotten the stocker and asked him to give you more boxes," he said. What?! This was never told to me, nor was filling these displays my job. I was just asked to help out when they were shorthanded, and I did exactly what was asked of me. While everyone agreed that I followed the instructions given, I was still written up.

WRITEUP #2: This one was the most bizarre. I was called to the back and told that I was "rude" to an old lady, and that it happened "20 minutes ago". Not only had I not been rude to anyone, I literally hadn't spoken a word to anyone in an hour outside of "Paper or plastic?" They told me that the old lady pointed me out and said that I was extremely rude to her. I told them to verify with the cashier that there had been no altercation of any kind. They didn't feel like doing that, and instead wrote me up. Strike 2.

WRITEUP #3: There was a complete bitch (I'd say early 20s) who managed the front end on weekends. Everyone hated her. On a busy day, she refused to let me take my break. The government mandated a break for hourly employees every two hours. It had been 3 1/2, and she still wouldn't let me take a break because we were "too busy". Finally I just took one anyway. She wrote me up. I told her that she broke the law, and she didn't give a shit. Keep in mind that it's not like I was an essential employee walking away from the job for 10 minutes while shorthanded. Box boys weren't at every checkstand, and the cashiers just bag in their place when they aren't there. This was Strike 3, and I was just 10 hours short of completing my 90. There were also only 2 weeks left in the school year, so I was likely fucked. I wouldn't be able to get another job in time, and would get an F, which could retroactively hurt me in college acceptance (they can actually de-accept you). I went into a real panic over this.

However, for some reason, because Writeup #3 was on the weekend, the paperwork got lost, and nobody realized I was ever written up. The girl who wrote me up didn't work again until Saturday, so I kept working as normal, and knocked out my last 10 hours.

I did still have one more day to work -- Saturday -- a day I didn't need for the hours, but I wanted to go in, just so I could laugh in this bitch's face if she tried to mess with me again.

Sure enough, after I "went to the bathroom without permission" (LOL), she wrote me up.

Rather than let her I know I was done working there, I let her do the long paperwork, with a smug smile on her face that this was likely my 3rd writeup (she didn't realize it was actually my 4th!), and I would get canned.

Then as she was almost finished, she called me over.

"Why are you crossed off for next week?!", she asked.

"Because I'm done. This is my last day. I hope you enjoyed writing me up."

"Uh...uh... uh....", she stammered, looking furious, "Just go home right now then!!!"

I said, "Okay, bye!" and walked out.

From that moment on, I realized the shit that the average minimum wage worker deals with, and came to appreciate more what they go through every day.

I still don't take bullshit from them (as that's still no excuse to abuse ME, as the customer), but I can definitely feel for anyone stuck working in a job like that.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Worked at a deli for a yr to pay for my sr spring break

Load Metric
    Never worked fast food but worked retail, grocery etc starting at 15. I actually enjoyed the work most times but the pay was shit

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    I've just applied
    flip not flipped out

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Here was my job history from high school:

Shortly after I turned 17, I took a job in a computer store, building computers in the back. I worked with a 25-year-old who loved country music, so I was forced to listen to country all day. I hated it, but oddly enough, I got to enjoy country myself about 4 years later. Even though this was a semi-skilled job, I was paid a shit wage (like $6 or $7 per hour) because I was only 17.

That job ended when they moved to Compton (yes, THAT Compton), and it was too far for me to drive for such a low paying position.

Then my senior year in high school came, and I realized I could get away with taking just 4 classes and going home at 12pm every day. I could do this by taking a "work experience" class 5th period, which you really don't have to go to, and you were allowed to take that class if you were expecting to work at least 90 hours in the semester.

I took a new computer store job, for slightly higher pay. The owner was both a scumbag and extremely disorganized. He did not have any kind of real payroll system, so he just withheld 20% from my check for "taxes", without any intention to send the money to the IRS. He also abruptly shut down the store at one point for "inventory" (in reality he was too broke to continue paying anyone), and never told me. The store was just shut down and he wouldn't answer the phone. Needless to say, that job was over. A few months later he reopened, so I went in there and asked for the W-2 forms about the money he had sent to the IRS. He kept stalling me, and finally gave me a form that represented about half of what he really withheld. I complained, and he basically told me to fuck off. I told my dad about this, who went in and pressured him to fix the situation. Instead of fixing the W2, he just wrote a check for the difference to my dad! Pretty sure he never mailed a dime to the IRS, but at least I had a W2 claiming he did, so it was no longer my problem.

However, I had a different problem. I no longer had a job! I had 90 hours of work, so I was fine for that semester, but the new semester started in February. The teacher in charge of the work experience class called up my job to verify I was working, and of course the guy said I was no longer working there, so the teacher called me in and threatened to give me an F if I didn't get a job immediately. I came close to getting some decent computer-type jobs, but nobody wanted to trust a high school kid with anything serious (even though I had turned 18 by then).

Finally I took a supermarket box boy job out of desperation. I was going to work 90 hours exactly and GTFO. I was paid minimum wage.

It was at this job where I learned how awful most low wage employees are treated.

This supermarket was a high-end market in a wealthy neighborhood. If you got "written up" 3 times, you were automatically fired.

I got written up FOUR times, and literally none were my fault.

WRITEUP #1: I was asked by a stocker to help unload some egg cartons from the boxes into the display case. I did it exactly as he asked. I was then called into the manager's office and yelled at. "You didn't fill the display case! It looked very unprofessional to the customers!", he barked. "I filled it up with as many egg cartons as there were. We didn't have any more." He responded, "You should have gotten the stocker and asked him to give you more boxes," he said. What?! This was never told to me, nor was filling these displays my job. I was just asked to help out when they were shorthanded, and I did exactly what was asked of me. While everyone agreed that I followed the instructions given, I was still written up.

WRITEUP #2: This one was the most bizarre. I was called to the back and told that I was "rude" to an old lady, and that it happened "20 minutes ago". Not only had I not been rude to anyone, I literally hadn't spoken a word to anyone in an hour outside of "Paper or plastic?" They told me that the old lady pointed me out and said that I was extremely rude to her. I told them to verify with the cashier that there had been no altercation of any kind. They didn't feel like doing that, and instead wrote me up. Strike 2.

WRITEUP #3: There was a complete bitch (I'd say early 20s) who managed the front end on weekends. Everyone hated her. On a busy day, she refused to let me take my break. The government mandated a break for hourly employees every two hours. It had been 3 1/2, and she still wouldn't let me take a break because we were "too busy". Finally I just took one anyway. She wrote me up. I told her that she broke the law, and she didn't give a shit. Keep in mind that it's not like I was an essential employee walking away from the job for 10 minutes while shorthanded. Box boys weren't at every checkstand, and the cashiers just bag in their place when they aren't there. This was Strike 3, and I was just 10 hours short of completing my 90. There were also only 2 weeks left in the school year, so I was likely fucked. I wouldn't be able to get another job in time, and would get an F, which could retroactively hurt me in college acceptance (they can actually de-accept you). I went into a real panic over this.

However, for some reason, because Writeup #3 was on the weekend, the paperwork got lost, and nobody realized I was ever written up. The girl who wrote me up didn't work again until Saturday, so I kept working as normal, and knocked out my last 10 hours.

I did still have one more day to work -- Saturday -- a day I didn't need for the hours, but I wanted to go in, just so I could laugh in this bitch's face if she tried to mess with me again.

Sure enough, after I "went to the bathroom without permission" (LOL), she wrote me up.

Rather than let her I know I was done working there, I let her do the long paperwork, with a smug smile on her face that this was likely my 3rd writeup (she didn't realize it was actually my 4th!), and I would get canned.

Then as she was almost finished, she called me over.

"Why are you crossed off for next week?!", she asked.

"Because I'm done. This is my last day. I hope you enjoyed writing me up."

"Uh...uh... uh....", she stammered, looking furious, "Just go home right now then!!!"

I said, "Okay, bye!" and walked out.

From that moment on, I realized the shit that the average minimum wage worker deals with, and came to appreciate more what they go through every day.

I still don't take bullshit from them (as that's still no excuse to abuse ME, as the customer), but I can definitely feel for anyone stuck working in a job like that.
    I started working at CUB Foods pushing carts at 15 for a whopping $3.70 an hour. I continued working there changing departments a few times until I had passed my probationary period at the Post Office at the age of 20. I think I was at around $6 an hour when I quit.

CUB was actually a pretty decent place to work. A lot of it had to do with who headed the department you were in. Out of all of the managers there was only one who had the reputation of being a douche to work for and luckily I never had to deal with him. So not all grocery jobs are the house of horrors you experienced, I suspect most are somewhere in between our two experiences.
    "Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed. " -Mark Twain

twitter.com/jvferg72

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Fergie72 View Post
    I started working at CUB Foods pushing carts at 15 for a whopping $3.70 an hour. I continued working there changing departments a few times until I had passed my probationary period at the Post Office at the age of 20. I think I was at around $6 an hour when I quit.

CUB was actually a pretty decent place to work. A lot of it had to do with who headed the department you were in. Out of all of the managers there was only one who had the reputation of being a douche to work for and luckily I never had to deal with him. So not all grocery jobs are the house of horrors you experienced, I suspect most are somewhere in between our two experiences.
    You're probably right.

My actual "boss" at that job was actually a nice woman in her 30s. She didn't do any of the bullshit I described. Unfortunately, HER boss (the store manager) was an asshole and micromanaged down to the box boys. Then there was also that horrible weekend front end manager I described. Between the two of them, that's where all of my four write-ups came from.

The thing that sucks about these low-paying jobs is that you are easily replaceable and given no respect by management. So if you have an asshole boss, your choice is either to deal with the abuse or quit. In a more professional job, you have more recourse against a boss that sucks, and the company suffers more when you leave.

Load Metric
    negative on ever working a fry machine or grill. The only mindless customer facing job I recall having was pumping gas while in University. That lasted about 3 weeks until a gas and dasher cost me my job. I failed to catch his license plate number.

Thread Information