Thread: Official complain about the new youtube layout thread

Load Metric

Official complain about the new youtube layout thread

It sucks.

They had me as a "beta" tester a few months ago unwillingly. I had no option to change back it just popped up and when I tried with other peoples computers it was the old layout.

I sent feedback probably twice a day telling them to give me the old lay out back.

This is probably the least user friendly interface I've used in a long time. You can't just click on browse and look at videos anymore. You can only click browse channels and look at channels.

This is the death of the viral video because you can't just simply browse random videos anymore.

Banned
    Load Metric
    I like the backend. Analytics have improved recently, and it gives a better overall view of your account.

The front end sucks ass. I'm annoyed that everything is aligned left. I have a large screen and usually maximize my browser, so there's a ton of white space on the right. The only positive (from my perspective) is that subscription activity is more prominent, so the value of having subscribers increases.

I think you're correct that the little guy is getting shoved aside. The recommended channels sidebar is also more prominent, so the heavy hitters will pick up more subs.

Banned
    Load Metric
    However, I strongly disagree that this is the end of viral video. Viral video is mainly driven by social channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and messageboards. Getting a video into the top charts gives you a big boost, but its nothing compared to getting featured on lots of blogs or making the rounds on FB. It was also exploited by botters. Most of the videos in the browse section were either botted, or just the same old crap from bigwigs like Ray William Johnson and Smosh. There was little real value there.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    However, I strongly disagree that this is the end of viral video. Viral video is mainly driven by social channels such as Facebook, Twitter, and messageboards. Getting a video into the top charts gives you a big boost, but its nothing compared to getting featured on lots of blogs or making the rounds on FB. It was also exploited by botters. Most of the videos in the browse section were either botted, or just the same old crap from bigwigs like Ray William Johnson and Smosh. There was little real value there.
    The viral video depends on being able to be discovered though. Without being able to easily browse random videos it's going to be a lot more difficult for those blogs and RWJ to even find the videos.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by anonamoose View Post
    It sucks.
    That's putting it mildly.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Banned
    Load Metric
    The viral video depends on being able to be discovered though. Without being able to easily browse random videos it's going to be a lot more difficult for those blogs and RWJ to even find the videos.
    Discovery doesn't begin at the charts. Videos end up there after they've already been noticed by lots and lots of people. Nor does discovery begin at the "recommended videos" sidebar. Many of videos you see there already have lots of views, as that is part of the algorithm. I'm not sure what you mean by browsing random videos. Was there some sort of timeline that automatically updated the newest uploads?

A video brimming with potential is a cloud of flammable gas. All it takes is a small spark; just a handful of people to notice it. Sometimes just one person. Sometimes it takes a long time for that spark to come along, like Rebecca Black's Friday. But that spark is rarely provided by any section of YouTube. It takes crowdsourcing. One person tweets it, then a handful of others retweet it or post it to FB or Reddit, and it grows exponentially. Truly viral videos build momentum organically. They get passed around by the masses outside of YouTube. It's a true meritocracy.

The videos on YouTube's charts and sidebars work differently. Take a guy like RWJ. I think he has 6 million subscribers now. Even when he had half that many, he was all over YouTube's charts and constantly appeared as a recommended channel by YouTube's algorithm. He keeps sucking in more views and subscribers like gravity, due to his enormous mass. A video that tops the charts will pick up lots of subs and views for a few days, then quietly disappear. A viral video keeps going because it continues to be shared.

The recommended video sidebar is no longer on the front page, but fortunately it's still there when viewing videos. This won't help anything go viral, but it still helps decent videos steadily pick up more views. That sidebar is the reason Messageboard Grinder has so many views.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post
    I suck

Load Metric

Discovery doesn't begin at the charts. Videos end up there after they've already been noticed by lots and lots of people. Nor does discovery begin at the "recommended videos" sidebar. Many of videos you see there already have lots of views, as that is part of the algorithm. I'm not sure what you mean by browsing random videos. Was there some sort of timeline that automatically updated the newest uploads?

A video brimming with potential is a cloud of flammable gas. All it takes is a small spark; just a handful of people to notice it. Sometimes just one person. Sometimes it takes a long time for that spark to come along, like Rebecca Black's Friday. But that spark is rarely provided by any section of YouTube. It takes crowdsourcing. One person tweets it, then a handful of others retweet it or post it to FB or Reddit, and it grows exponentially. Truly viral videos build momentum organically. They get passed around by the masses outside of YouTube. It's a true meritocracy.

The videos on YouTube's charts and sidebars work differently. Take a guy like RWJ. I think he has 6 million subscribers now. Even when he had half that many, he was all over YouTube's charts and constantly appeared as a recommended channel by YouTube's algorithm. He keeps sucking in more views and subscribers like gravity, due to his enormous mass. A video that tops the charts will pick up lots of subs and views for a few days, then quietly disappear. A viral video keeps going because it continues to be shared.

The recommended video sidebar is no longer on the front page, but fortunately it's still there when viewing videos. This won't help anything go viral, but it still helps decent videos steadily pick up more views. That sidebar is the reason Messageboard Grinder has so many views.
    So then please, show me how to browse random videos on the new youtube, so I can find these videos and give them those sparks.

Yeah, I'll be waiting until the next update before you give me that reply.

Banned
    Load Metric
    So then please, show me how to browse random videos on the new youtube, so I can find these videos and give them those sparks.

Moose, I understand it's a bit tl;dr, but I did ask you about this. What part of the old layout allowed you to browse random new videos? I don't recall such a feature.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post
    I'm a whiny bitch
    Me too.

Banned
    Load Metric
    The more I look at it, the more apparent it becomes that the purpose is to put way more emphasis on channel subscriptions. YouTube wants us to subscribe to more channels and watch more videos on our subscription lists.

My guess is that they have data showing that users with channel subscriptions spend more time on the website watching the latest videos from their favorite uploaders. They probably had the same thing in mind when they implemented the recommended videos sidebar. The idea is to reduce bounce rates and keep you clicking around.

Another reason may be that the people aggressively recruiting subscribers typically have monetized videos or are in the partner program.

These changes are good for people like me that want higher engagement and more subscribers. For the users, I agree it's a bad thing overall.

Load Metric

Moose, I understand it's a bit tl;dr, but I did ask you about this. What part of the old layout allowed you to browse random new videos? I don't recall such a feature.
    The browse button let you do this. It wasn't all recommended videos and top videos when you used to browse function. I found a lot of the people I watch, which are far off different genres from other things I watch by using the browse feature.

Banned
    Load Metric

The browse button let you do this. It wasn't all recommended videos and top videos when you used to browse function. I found a lot of the people I watch, which are far off different genres from other things I watch by using the browse feature.
    Oh, right. Split into categories and such, somewhat based on your viewing history.

Well it's no longer linked on the front page, but I managed to find it: http://www.youtube.com/channel/HCtnHdj3df7iM/featured

EDIT: Unsurprisingly, this is now a channel itself! Well played, YouTube. Subscribed.

EDIT 2: Each invididual category is subscribable too. Neat.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    The more I look at it, the more apparent it becomes that the purpose is to put way more emphasis on channel subscriptions. YouTube wants us to subscribe to more channels and watch more videos on our subscription lists.

My guess is that they have data showing that users with channel subscriptions spend more time on the website watching the latest videos from their favorite uploaders. They probably had the same thing in mind when they implemented the recommended videos sidebar. The idea is to reduce bounce rates and keep you clicking around.

Another reason may be that the people aggressively recruiting subscribers typically have monetized videos or are in the partner program.

These changes are good for people like me that want higher engagement and more subscribers. For the users, I agree it's a bad thing overall.
    i subscribe to a couple things and i find its soooo much hard n confusing since they changed it. was alot easier before

Load Metric
    it's like they took gmail and put thumbnails everywhere where the emails should go.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric

This is the death of the viral video because you can't just simply browse random videos anymore.

the ability for any random person on the street armed with a cellphone camera to record a video and have it seen by millions is a threat to the monopoly control of the corporate media/government over our information. the viral video is a threat to the powers that be so they decided they had to put an end to it. they want to control what news and information we can see and the viral video is a threat to that control.
    Last edited by weststation; 01-23-2013 at 06:13 AM.

Thread Information