Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling backyard mechanics- anyone with an opinion on the following contract work?

Load Metric
    since when have there been tags on this site

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

408 knows a lot of stuff, but he understands almost none of it.
    This is what's wrong with kids these days. They saw a video on youtube about it, then they list it on their resume.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post

No I can't agree with you here. Mechanics attracts certain people. They seem to be born into it.

Just talking about it requires a certain knowledge......it's not like having an opinion on the latest movie...

I was waiting for a gear head to respond...they would know if Mike was on track or not.
    The time it takes a CERTIFIED mechanic to do a head gasket job varies A LOT depending on the engine. There is no "typical" head gasket job as Mike likes to think, and he sure the fuck isn't a certified mechanic. There is no way of knowing how damaged that engine is until you get it apart. If I recall from my automotive days, V6 Camaros are a bitch. Probably looking at 10 hours minimum (for an actual mechanic).
    I can do head gaskets in 4-5 hours if the engine is situated right and I have a helper (I rarely do big jobs alone)

I learned early on having a digital camera and lots of plastic bags and all the right tools lined up labelled and ready to go makes all the difference. I download chilton's manuals from autozone (shout to bobby bitch ass toddler faggot wong for that one) and plan ahead. The only reason a head gasket takes any longer than a few hours is either ineptitude or running up the bill on a customer, a competent mechanic with a shop full of tools and years of experience can do them in 2-3 hours working fast. Most of the time they move like molasses, and that's not just so they can be careful...

I am going to check out the car tom morning, having spoken to the guy three times now he is very confident there is no major damage to the block, the concern I had being a piston had become damaged and broken through it's cylinder wall. He says no, and he has experience working on cars most of his life.

What concerns me is WHY the engine red lined in the first place, his story is that he was on the freeway getting a pizza and the engine randomly redlined, which sounded to me like a frozen torque converter as the transmission was stuck in a low gear. He assured me it was in high gear and when he took his foot off the gas pedal is was still red lining. So, I have to determine what caused the malfunction and what, if any, major engine damage there is to fix and go from there.

For the moment I have no plans to resurrect the old motor, the guy claims he knows one head is warped very badly from the blown head gasket, but the internals might be good for swapping, and that's the route I am going now.

I will take pictures and a video to capture sound and report back tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

408 knows a lot of stuff, but he understands almost none of it.
    This is what's wrong with kids these days. They saw a video on youtube about it, then they list it on their resume.
    I have over a dozen head gasket jobs completed in my lifetime, how many have you done?
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    mikey have you ever been tempted to try to fuck a head gasket?

will only accept honest answers

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deal View Post

I have over a dozen head gasket jobs completed in my lifetime, how many have you done?
    Why don't you become a mechanic then? Probably because you are full of shit. You know everything about everything but can't get a job? When are you moving to North Dakota?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    mikey have you ever been tempted to try to fuck a head gasket?

will only accept honest answers
    I am missing a LOT of required girth tbh. If I had coffee can thickness sure, but I am not up to par sadly or I probably would.

Ever fuck around with engine grease? It's nice and slick, has a grimy, yet loving feel to it, just perfect for...I have to go.

Load Metric

Why don't you become a mechanic then? Probably because you are full of shit. You know everything about everything but can't get a job? When are you moving to North Dakota?
    I don't want to be a mechanic you moron. Learn to fucking read you idiot. Notice where I pointed out CLEARLY why mechanics take so fucking long to do a 4 hour job? Jesus you are lazy, just shut the fuck up in the future or I will block you.

I don't want to be a mechanic you moron. Learn to fucking read you idiot. Notice where I pointed out CLEARLY why mechanics take so fucking long to do a 4 hour job? Jesus you are lazy, just shut the fuck up in the future or I will block you.
    God you're fucking pathetic.

Load Metric

Well you are only in your 30's so you have plenty of time to find a way out of mama's house.

Load Metric

I'm lazy? Lol. Ok Mike. Still taking advantage of your elderly neighbors? You are a pile of shit.
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike
    a competent mechanic with a shop full of tools and years of experience can do them in 2-3 hours working fast.
    I managed a shop for 2 years. I had 3 master certified techs working for me. Once again, you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.

Load Metric

I'm lazy? Lol. Ok Mike. Still taking advantage of your elderly neighbors? You are a pile of shit.
    I am pm'ing you my home number muck, by all means contact the people I live with and express your concerns. Mike could use a good laugh and you are a moron he won't mind laughing at. If you genuinely are concerned for the well being of a couple senior citizens it is your civic duty to follow through to prevent elder abuse. If you do not call I will consider filing a complaint with your local law enforcement and yes I know where you live.

Load Metric
    a competent mechanic with a shop full of tools and years of experience can do them in 2-3 hours working fast.
    I managed a shop for 2 years. I had 3 master certified techs working for me. Once again, you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
    Don't give a fuck what some random on the internet claims he did or knows or whatever. I worked as a diesel mechanic when I was 19 and changed hydraulic over hydraulic brakes in under 3 hours could any of your bumblefuck mechanics boast such a thing? I highly doubt it. Never underestimate me, if you're smart.

Anyway, if anyone cares I have decided the following course of action- The engine noise I am hearing is so fucking loud this guy has a broken rod, there is no way this is a bearing or anything similar. As the motor itself has cast iron block and heads we are in luck in some respects as the iron heads though heavy as fuck (sucks for performance) are pretty much bulletproof with regard to heat tolerances. Unless this guy is really fucking unlucky his heads and block are fine as the gasket itself is designed to fail before too much heat accumulates warping the heads. sooooooo logically two things are important-

The newer motor likely has toast for lower internals, would need a full rebuild and the pricing is roughly $500 and car owner cannot afford more than about $600 total for the job including my labor. I bid this job at $600 so the guy is coming up with cash for parts at under $150

The older motor probably just needs a head gasket replaced and whatever the cost for oil and fluids etc.

It makes the most sense to swap engines after head gasket replacement, check the compression and replace any piston rings/bearings if any of the cylinders are not checking out via compression test. New spark plugs keep the old wires unless he can afford to buy them, whole job takes less than a day if I work fast.

I will probably get some video/pictures uploaded if I feel like it, but lately I've really been given the middle finger by the denizens of this forum as well as skatz so I wouldn't hold my breath. Special requests pm me.

No I will not do the job in my underwear despite the cash offer...

Also muck my customer here is 69 with copd and his daughter has alpha 1 deficiency...big words I know, just read the wiki. You had better learn to watch your tongue because a LOT of people depend on the kindness of others for survival, and I am a kind person. People like you depress people like me and push many to suicide. You are doing the community from which you depend on for survival a disservice being a jerk when it is uncalled for, especially with regard to nice, giving people like myself. I just did a big IT job for a local defense attorney who does a shitload of casework (over 80% of his work load) pro bono to help the poor receive legitimate legal assistance and to not get fucked over. In fact right now he is helping a small group of elderly persons fight a guy who has been an elder abuser for over a decade, defrauding some 6 couples of close to 4 million dollars, effectively robbing them blind.

You have no idea who or what you are flapping your gums about when you talk about me, and I suggest you stop.

Load Metric

Don't give a fuck what some random on the internet claims he did or knows or whatever. I worked as a diesel mechanic when I was 19 and changed hydraulic over hydraulic brakes in under 3 hours could any of your bumblefuck mechanics boast such a thing? I highly doubt it. Never underestimate me, if you're smart.

Anyway, if anyone cares I have decided the following course of action- The engine noise I am hearing is so fucking loud this guy has a broken rod, there is no way this is a bearing or anything similar. As the motor itself has cast iron block and heads we are in luck in some respects as the iron heads though heavy as fuck (sucks for performance) are pretty much bulletproof with regard to heat tolerances. Unless this guy is really fucking unlucky his heads and block are fine as the gasket itself is designed to fail before too much heat accumulates warping the heads. sooooooo logically two things are important-

The newer motor likely has toast for lower internals, would need a full rebuild and the pricing is roughly $500 and car owner cannot afford more than about $600 total for the job including my labor. I bid this job at $600 so the guy is coming up with cash for parts at under $150

The older motor probably just needs a head gasket replaced and whatever the cost for oil and fluids etc.

It makes the most sense to swap engines after head gasket replacement, check the compression and replace any piston rings/bearings if any of the cylinders are not checking out via compression test. New spark plugs keep the old wires unless he can afford to buy them, whole job takes less than a day if I work fast.

I will probably get some video/pictures uploaded if I feel like it, but lately I've really been given the middle finger by the denizens of this forum as well as skatz so I wouldn't hold my breath. Special requests pm me.

No I will not do the job in my underwear despite the cash offer...

Also muck my customer here is 69 with copd and his daughter has alpha 1 deficiency...big words I know, just read the wiki. You had better learn to watch your tongue because a LOT of people depend on the kindness of others for survival, and I am a kind person. People like you depress people like me and push many to suicide. You are doing the community from which you depend on for survival a disservice being a jerk when it is uncalled for, especially with regard to nice, giving people like myself. I just did a big IT job for a local defense attorney who does a shitload of casework (over 80% of his work load) pro bono to help the poor receive legitimate legal assistance and to not get fucked over. In fact right now he is helping a small group of elderly persons fight a guy who has been an elder abuser for over a decade, defrauding some 6 couples of close to 4 million dollars, effectively robbing them blind.

You have no idea who or what you are flapping your gums about when you talk about me, and I suggest you stop.
    Simply mind boggling that this fucking idiot is still allowed to bukkake this place with his awful fucking nonsense. Just more incoherent ramblings mixed in with some exaggeration, all tied together with a few good lies. A typical 40dumbfuck post.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    If you do not call I will consider filing a complaint with your local law enforcement and yes I know where you live.
    Good fucking God you're a stupid pile of shit. Truly a waste of oxygen.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Did someone leave a window open or door or what? I feel a draft, not sure where it's coming from but it's very warm.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I used to work at an orange juice factory, but I was canned because I couldn't concentrate.

Load Metric

I used to work at an orange juice factory, but I was canned because I couldn't concentrate.
    You seriously pollute my thread with this trash and yet have the audacity to insinuate you are more intelligent and better liked than me elsewhere?

Some fucking nerve you have, not what I'd expect from a canadian. The canadians I know tend to be reserved and intelligent, you clearly were adopted.

Load Metric

I used to be a deli worker, but any way you slice it, I couldn't cut the mustard.

Thread Information