Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling backyard mechanics- anyone with an opinion on the following contract work?

Load Metric

Calling backyard mechanics- anyone with an opinion on the following contract work?

Ok, so the skinny is a guy not far from me has a 1997 Camaro v6 with some engine problems. Recently he blew a head gasket running the motor without water, swapped for a newer engine (an oem 1998 v6) and recently he red lined the thing and blew a rod (he suspects, but is not sure. he says the engine def has a rod knock and it will start but is so loud he is terrified of driving it.) so he has two bad motors right now, each with it's own problems.

Needless to say he needs to get the car on the road asap, he asked me what I thought would be best and most affordable and I have an idea but also some concerns.

My idea- since I cannot be sure the heads are not warped or worse on the old motor, obviously putting a new head gasket on and putting it back in the car is a pretty bad idea without taking the heads to a shop and having them magnafluxed to look for cracking/warping etc. The newer motor has most likely fried internals and would need serious fucking work (well beyond what I can do and what the car is worth) but I can be reasonably sure the heads are good so.....

Pulling the new motor and swapping heads with the old one and putting the old motor (now with the new heads and head gasket) seems ideal I think. I don't even want to fuck around with the rod knock, fuck that his car isn't worth it (though he claims it is a show car and has tremendous sentimental value) so I am thinking my approach is best.

The reason I am posting- I have never worked on a camaro in my life, though I have done head gasket jobs on several american cars so I know roughly what I am getting myself into. I'd like to hear from anyone here what experiences they have with camaro's from this time period, what amount of work am I looking at here for an experienced but amateurish mechanic? I have the chiltons already, but that's never the same you know?

Am I way off base in thinking a quick motor swap and head exchange and new head gasket will solve the situation? I am thinking I need to figure out why on earth he has now a rod knock in a new motor (well, new relatively speaking, it has 100k miles on it) since he just blew a head gasket from overheating the last engine.

Is the old motor going to need a valve job after the overheating before it can function reliably or not? I mean, I should be able to take the valves and rocker assembly out of the new block and if anything is damaged from the red lining incident just take what I need from the old block.

I bid the job at $600 to start, as that is normally what I charge for a head gasket job, is this sounding like a $600 job to anyone with experience or should I bid this a bit higher? I basically charge half what most shops would charge, being an amateur mechanic.

I can do a head gasket job in like 4-5 hours typically, sometimes it takes longer depending on crazy shit happening, like the sunbird I did the head gasket job on took me three days because it was fucking IMPOSSIBLE TO EVER REACH ANYTHING AT ANY TIME EVER. It drove me INSANE, but in hindsight i could do it a lot faster now.

Thoughts/0pionions/Input greatly appreciated(please, for the love of all that is good in the world, no trolling this one time)

Having given this some thought, I can do two things- #1 pull the heads off the old motor and run them to a mechanic to check if they are warped or cracked, inspect the block etc. and assuming the heads are ok and the block is intact, put a new head gasket on and check for compression, if the compression checks out yank the new motor and swap for the old one.

-OR- assess the damage on the motor in the car now (unsure if I can do this without pulling the heads off and getting down into the motor, which would take 1-2 hours I estimate) and look to see what needs to be done- I would have to charge the guy for the work needed to assess damage for the new motor up front, so I think in terms of keeping costs down (he is on a fixed income so $$$ counts here for him and I understand that) the cheapest route would be to get the old motor working.

ugh...not sure what to do. I've never been put to the test like this before, this is where it pays to have the car done by a shop with experience but he cannot afford that so he needs a person to get the job done right for as little as possible...
    Last edited by 408Mike; 12-03-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    I can do a head gasket job in like 4-5 hours typically
    You are so full of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    I can do a head gasket job in like 4-5 hours typically
    You are so full of shit.

Attention whore

Load Metric
    mikey is also a crack shot at 60 yards with a 9mm

Load Metric
    "Banned from Build a Bear"

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post
    "Banned from Build a Bear"

where did his undertitle go?

this is a travesty.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This is one thread that I don't call Mike out on. I know nothing about cars(mechanically) and anyone

who can even talk about them like he does in this thread I bow to. No one has spoken to the topic.

A real gear head would have an opinion one way or another....but no one has.

Nerds don't do cars?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    This is one thread that I don't call Mike out on. I know nothing about cars(mechanically) and anyone

who can even talk about them like he does in this thread I bow to. No one has spoken to the topic.

Nerds don't do cars?
    408 knows a lot of stuff, but he understands almost none of it.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

Nerds don't do cars?
    No I can't agree with you here. Mechanics attracts certain people. They seem to be born into it.

Just talking about it requires a certain knowledge......it's not like having an opinion on the latest movie...

I was waiting for a gear head to respond...they would know if Mike was on track or not.

Load Metric
    Taking apart two engines? Sounds like a meth head wet dream.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    what kind of deli meat does this resemble
    ?

Name:  big-pussy-4.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  60.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I am no longer hungry

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post

No I can't agree with you here. Mechanics attracts certain people. They seem to be born into it.

Just talking about it requires a certain knowledge......it's not like having an opinion on the latest movie...

I was waiting for a gear head to respond...they would know if Mike was on track or not.
    The time it takes a CERTIFIED mechanic to do a head gasket job varies A LOT depending on the engine. There is no "typical" head gasket job as Mike likes to think, and he sure the fuck isn't a certified mechanic. There is no way of knowing how damaged that engine is until you get it apart. If I recall from my automotive days, V6 Camaros are a bitch. Probably looking at 10 hours minimum (for an actual mechanic).
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post

The time it takes a CERTIFIED mechanic to do a head gasket job varies A LOT depending on the engine. There is no "typical" head gasket job as Mike likes to think, and he sure the fuck isn't a certified mechanic. There is no way of knowing how damaged that engine is until you get it apart. If I recall from my automotive days, V6 Camaros are a bitch. Probably looking at 10 hours minimum (for an actual mechanic).

That's all fine....probably what kind of info he needs. At least it's a start

Load Metric
    I have never worked on a camaro in my life,
    Then why are you offering to work on one? You must literally have shit for brains. That, or this is just another one of your pathetic lies. Like your pepper mafia. Like your "connections" at the local CC. Like the Navy Seals. Like nursing. Like everything else you manage to dream up in your nightmare of a mind. You and limitles are alive only because it is illegal for others to kill you.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Mike before you tear down the engine, try replacing the RAM in the car. Could just be a super virus.

Load Metric
    This is how 4PoeSteaks mind works.

Name:  confusing-street-sign1.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  29.2 KB
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Pass on this whole mess because you'll be a sorry sapp if you don't...In the time it'll take you to get it fixed you could of made ten times more doing something else...

Mechanic here for over 40 years...

Name:  50614411_8dbe6ca0c3_z.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  122.4 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by son of lockman View Post
    Pass on this whole mess because you'll be a sorry sapp if you don't...In the time it'll take you to get it fixed you could of made ten times more doing something else...

Mechanic here for over 40 years...
    Exactly. He could be flipping burgers at McDonald's making a steady income. It may only be $9.00 an hour, but it's money. Instead he posts on forums looking for hand outs and goes on Craigslist trying to find ways to make a quick dollar. You would think at his age he would know better......what a pathetic fuck.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Who tagged this thread salami fleshlite?

Thread Information