Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Convince me that raising awareness makes any difference

Banned
    Load Metric

Convince me that raising awareness makes any difference

I've seen a lot of hipsters with awful mustaches feeling very good about themselves this month. I'm sure many of them just do it because it's their idea of fun, and more power to them. But I know some percentage of them must feel that they're making a difference in the world; that they're raising awareness for prostate cancer. I suppose the idea is that some people have never heard of this rare disease, so when they notice that all the local baristas suddenly resemble Adam Morrison they might start asking questions.

I feel that it's a hollow gesture, and possibly counter productive. If people think that growing facial hair and posting Facebook statuses are noble deeds, then they'll feel that they've done their part. They'll be less inclined to make any actual productive or charitable contributions. Any guilt they may have carried for doing nothing is alleviated. I have no data to back this claim, but I suspect that the whole awareness movement has been a harmful one. I think it may actually be more helpful to do nothing at all than to encourage these shenanigans.

I pretty much feel the same about breast cancer awareness. In fact, I think Komen may actually be worse by both perpetuating awareness movements and suing charities that do real work.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this, and I hope that I am. If you disagree, please explain why.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Prostate cancer is a rare disease?

Load Metric
    it would be interesting to see how many of these hipsters have actually gone to their doctor to have a prostate exam

today's activism is liking something on facebook

Load Metric

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    it would be interesting to see how many of these hipsters have actually gone to their doctor to have a prostate exam

today's activism is liking something on facebook

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    I've seen a lot of hipsters with awful mustaches feeling very good about themselves this month. I'm sure many of them just do it because it's their idea of fun, and more power to them. But I know some percentage of them must feel that they're making a difference in the world; that they're raising awareness for prostate cancer. I suppose the idea is that some people have never heard of this rare disease, so when they notice that all the local baristas suddenly resemble Adam Morrison they might start asking questions.

I feel that it's a hollow gesture, and possibly counter productive. If people think that growing facial hair and posting Facebook statuses are noble deeds, then they'll feel that they've done their part. They'll be less inclined to make any actual productive or charitable contributions. Any guilt they may have carried for doing nothing is alleviated. I have no data to back this claim, but I suspect that the whole awareness movement has been a harmful one. I think it may actually be more helpful to do nothing at all than to encourage these shenanigans.

I pretty much feel the same about breast cancer awareness. In fact, I think Komen may actually be worse by both perpetuating awareness movements and suing charities that do real work.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this, and I hope that I am. If you disagree, please explain why.
    Hollow gesture? Counterproductive? Hipsters?

Any cause that relies on donations needs one thing besides money. Awareness. Saying it's national Glaucoma week or whatever is fine but the "Movember" campaign is very clever because it is visual. Sure, some grow the stash just to have fun with it but the bigger the net you cast the more fish you can catch.

How can this effort be counterproductive?

It caused you to start this thread.
    Last edited by limitles; 11-22-2012 at 08:55 PM.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

Your comments are noted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i think you should start making/producing rebecca black type vids instead of poker related vids. it's time to cash in on this goldmine before it's too late.

i can advise you

Load Metric
    Well I guess it does work because now i've had my awareness risen that hipsters=colon cancer.

Load Metric
    It doesn't. Spread the word.

SOBCHAK SECURITY 213-799-7798

PRESIDENT JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., THE GREAT AND POWERFUL

Load Metric
    Hipster??? Im not no hipster or most around me aren't either, and I see many men growing one... I would think it is a visual show of solidarity between men, kind of like Harley riders give each othe a nod,
    So many will make fun of this till CC hit you or some one you care about.

SS I saw your pic you may not be able to sprout a movember but give it a go 10 days left!
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Banned
    Load Metric
    To further clarify my thoughts on this matter, I've drawn up a parable.

Load Metric
    HAHA you funny..... There's certanly must be some talent there.

Next can be....... A narrow mind gets narrower
    all hail Hydra

Originally Posted by DanDruff:Since I'm a 6'2" Republican with an average-sized nose and a last name which doesn't end with "stein", "man", or "berg", I can hide among the goyim and remain undetected unless I open my mouth about money matters.

Load Metric
    Raising awareness makes a difference but it's the same kind of difference that one of those anti-drug dipshits or guidance counselor or whatever talk about when they say 'oh as long as it helps just one kid I have done my job.' Look here you fucking douchebag if you have only reached one kid when you are around a couple thousand of them every day it means you are an asshole.

*giggling*
    Load Metric

this is why you are by FAR the best poster on this lame site

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Horrible thought process. Awareness in dealing with breast or colon cancer means early detection. These diseases are easier to fight in early stages. Your car accident analogy is not a good one. Your entire stance on this subject is weak and simply wrong.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    Awareness in dealing with breast or colon cancer means early detection. These diseases are easier to fight in early stages.

Load Metric
    One of the stupidest and most embarrassing threads I've seen in a long while. Even limitles has got this right. Spreading awareness about prostate cancer is about early detection and advising men on how to self examine. The best treatment for prostate cancer is catching it early. Spreading awareness about how to do these things is an integral part of combating the disease. If you had an IQ above a lump of shit, you would realize that.
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Both SrslySirius and Azzclown actually have points here.

It is valuable to spread awareness of preventative measures that can easily be taken to save lives. For example, colon cancer is 100% preventable. If you get colonoscopies every 5 years (every 2 years if they found any signs of possible pre-cancer), you won't get colon cancer. Period.

Obviously women checking for breast cancer (both examinations and self-checking) is very important, as well.

However, Srsly has a point that a lot of people who "spread awareness" are simply doing it to pat themselves on the back and look sensitive, and not really because they care much about the cause itself. But if it helps get an important message out, it really doesn't do any harm.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Esai, does Chico Loco have a mo? Has anyone ever stuck their finger in Chico's Loco's arse?
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Banned
    Load Metric
    If there's one thing we can all learn from this thread, it's that Anal_Hershiser apparently examines his own prostate.

Thread Information