Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dutch Boyd - Lead Developer, SealsWithClubs.com

Load Metric

Dutch Boyd - Lead Developer, SealsWithClubs.com

Over at Mason's place, there's a thread about a thread Dutch Boyd started on Reddit. (Makes this a thread about a thread about a thread, kinda.)

forumserver.twoplustwo.com/29/news-views-gossip/dutch-boyd-vents-reddit-about-getting-turned-down-minimum-wage-job-1269565/
    http://www.reddit.com/r/jobs/comment...n_turned_down/

The gist is that Boyd needed a job quick, so he went to a Sprint call center to pick up some work. They turned him down because of a lack of a HS degree or equivalent, even though he has plenty of higher education, as the story goes.

Most interesting part of the thread on 4 is that someone found a Boyd resume in another reddit thread and posted that in Mason's Haus. This is the 2nd entry under Experience.

Lead Developer, SealsWithClubs.com
    (April 2012 to Present) Programmed the back-end and lead development efforts for the largest Bitcoin poker site online. Got down and dirty with PHP and MySQL to build the affiliate program and player tools that run the current site. Integrated the back-end with the current Wordpress-based front-end design.

Also, shout-out to WillieStole for the top-rated comment in the reddit thread.

View on scribd here: https://www.scribd.com/doc/114045274/  

Also, it should be noted that 408 would type circles around this cat. 100 wmp? Playa please.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I saw that last night and was about to post it, especially with the HOF williestole best comment.

Load Metric
    Damn. Resume includes being a poker pro, designing software for an illegal bitcoin poker site, and founding a poker site where he stole hundreds of thousands from the players.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    "Gotdown and dirty with PHP and MySQL"

lol @ phrasing it that way

Load Metric
    If Dutch Boyd has to get a job, I wonder how Micon thinks he can make a living being a poker player. I think even Micon would agree that Dutch is an infinitely better poker player than he is.

Load Metric
    I could swear I put this in Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness. I mean, Dutch Boyd and Bryan Micon and Sealswithclubs... Plenty of scams, scandals, AND shadiness with those three.

It's like I can't start a thread about a member of the crew, micon, and bitcoins without it getting moved.

I could be wrong, too. Maybe I did put this in Flying Stupidity. If so, I didn't intend to.

Banned
    Load Metric
    As someone noted in the Reddit thread, the HS Diploma requirement was most likely a BS excuse on their part. It's easier to say that than to give certain other reasons.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post
    As someone noted in the Reddit thread, the HS Diploma requirement was most likely a BS excuse on their part. It's easier to say that than to give certain other reasons.
    Depends, if I read that resume for any position at all I would toss it for other reasons. Look at how much weight he puts on his trophies versus his abilities to do the job he is applying for. Clearly an egomaniac that would not take direction or work well with others.

However, that resume would never make it to my desk as HR would filter it out based on lack of a high school diploma.

Load Metric
    Oddly, no mention of drinking man-piss.

Gold
    Load Metric
    That resume is pretty LOL. My take is that he probably had nothing to do with sealswithclubs but was talking to micon and micon offered to help him create a fake job to help flesh out his resume a bit more. Software development is in some ways harder now than 10+ years ago. The number of technologies that are actively used has gone way up. Used to be you learned a few things and it'd cover 50% of the jobs out there.... not anymore.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by donkdowndonedied View Post
    My take is that he probably had nothing to do with sealswithclubs but was talking to micon and micon offered to help him create a fake job to help flesh out his resume a bit more.
    False.

Load Metric
    That resume is pretty LOL. My take is that he probably had nothing to do with sealswithclubs but was talking to micon and micon offered to help him create a fake job to help flesh out his resume a bit more. Software development is in some ways harder now than 10+ years ago. The number of technologies that are actively used has gone way up. Used to be you learned a few things and it'd cover 50% of the jobs out there.... not anymore.
    Exactly. It has especially become harder for American programmers as php/web programmers are a dime a dozen and it can be easily outsourced. His skill set can be outsourced for around 10 bucks an hour. There are good programming jobs for Americans but you need to know a bunch of skills. For example, I have three programmers and they needed to know the following before I even considered hiring them: Adobe Flex, Flash, AIR and ActionScript, Java/J2EE and C#/.NET. Also they need experience integrating Flash and Flex with Java, .NET, and PHP server applications.

If they dont have even one of those skills, it is a no go because every skill is so critical. It has been hard to find good programmers with all those skills, but they are paid well if they do have them. 100-150 an hour.

Load Metric
    My take is that he probably had nothing to do with sealswithclubs but was talking to micon and micon offered to help him create a fake job to help flesh out his resume a bit more.
    False.

Did you have more shares in sealswithclubs than Dutch?

Banned
    Load Metric
    I plead the 5th.

Load Metric
    I plead the 5th.
    answer the question or i will keep posting this pic

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    I plead the 5th.
    answer the question or i will keep posting this pic

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Exactly. It has especially become harder for American programmers as php/web programmers are a dime a dozen and it can be easily outsourced. His skill set can be outsourced for around 10 bucks an hour. There are good programming jobs for Americans but you need to know a bunch of skills. For example, I have three programmers and they needed to know the following before I even considered hiring them: Adobe Flex, Flash, AIR and ActionScript, Java/J2EE and C#/.NET. Also they need experience integrating Flash and Flex with Java, .NET, and PHP server applications.

If they dont have even one of those skills, it is a no go because every skill is so critical. It has been hard to find good programmers with all those skills, but they are paid well if they do have them. 100-150 an hour.
    I've never even heard of AIR or Flex. I ported an app to learn android dev then realized people with android phones don't like to spend money.. but their marketshare keeps growing. These days I'm not sure what the best skills to have are.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    You're 100% right about software development.

I saw on Reddit that someone said Dutch received an offer at one point to bail out Pokerspot AND make a profit, and that he refused it. Is that really true? Link to that story?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, Crowe, while this is an entertaining thread, I did NOT move it from Scams, Scandals, and Shadiness.

You posted it here in the first place.

Load Metric
    Lead Developer, SealsWithClubs.com salary range

0.0-0.0

Thread Information