Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Carlos Condit vs. GSP UFC 154 Who do you like?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    If GSP is close to 100% he wins this easy. Condit is tough as hell but he isnt anywhere close to the level of a healthy GSP. In his current streak he has a few nice wins but all of them have been razor close (other than hardy) and he struggles stopping the takedown. GSP by easy 5 round decision with a lot of top control. Of course if GSP's leg isnt what it was and he cant wrestle this will be a long night for him, I'm going to assume he's healthy though.

Hendricks by KO, he is a beast and Kampann can be a bit chinny, that fight will be a beauty no matter what. My close pal Nick Ring is in tough against Philippou, Nick has amazing BJJ but unfortunately he has no wrestling background so taking it to the ground will be tough. If he can get it down I think Nick wins, standing he's in trouble.

Sonatine is a solid poster and knows a lot about many things, MMA is not one of them, he sucks at the MMA talk.
    Good to have you back Peter. I was hoping you'd give us your take on GSP's return.
    Thanks hockey guy, always enjoy the MMA discussion around here.

Chaps, why are you not excited about a Condit fight? He puts on more consistently exciting fights than almost anyone in the sport. I do think GSP will be looking for the takedown and a lot of top control but Condit has also been great at taking damage throughout his career. I think and hope this fight will be more exciting than then Jackson haters think it will be.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Hold on a second here. I didn't say that.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Chaps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadyJ View Post
    2 Jackson fighters that sounds like a great fight ....not. I'm predicting GSP wins a split decision with 4 strikes landed to only 3 for the natural born runner.

LOl you called GSP a Jackson fighter. Fuckin rube.
    lol @ you not knowing hes a Jackson fighter

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    2 Jackson fighters that sounds like a great fight ....not. I'm predicting GSP wins a split decision with 4 strikes landed to only 3 for the natural born runner.
    Jackson wasn't involved with the training of either guy for this one.
    I know it was a joke. Jackson doesnt believe in his fighters fighting each other, but he only takes on top talent. Hes the best mma trainer, but his fighters arent entertaining. Yes of course winning is the most important thing, but if know one watches the fights hell be out of business. Dana called him a sport killer, but on the other hand his fighters are winners that dont take much risk, so its hard to be mad at that.

Load Metric
    Jackson wasn't involved with the training of either guy for this one.
    I know it was a joke. Jackson doesnt believe in his fighters fighting each other, but he only takes on top talent. Hes the best mma trainer, but his fighters arent entertaining. Yes of course winning is the most important thing, but if know one watches the fights hell be out of business. Dana called him a sport killer, but on the other hand his fighters are winners that dont take much risk, so its hard to be mad at that.
    Condit is entertaining. Guida had one boring fight in a monster career of barnburners. Joe Daddy ain't boring. Bones Jones ain't boring. Brian Stann, Tim Kennedy, Cub Swanson, John Dodson, Kyle Noke, Ike Vallie-Flagg, Donald Cerrone, Shane Carwin, Leonard Garcia, Jason MacDonald, David Loiseau, Andrei Arlovski, Nate Marquardt, even the chicks, Julie Kedzie, Michelle Waterson, Gina Carano was from Jackson's... You'd be retarded to call any of those fighters boring, but nobody gives Jackson credit for their awesome fights.

The "Jackson fighters are boring" line is silly, and never really true to any degree. For every boring fight they turn out, they get probably 2-3 fight of the night bonuses, at least.

Load Metric

Condit is entertaining.

The guy has 28 wins with 26 finishes. He executed a perfect game plan against Diaz to avoid getting hit with 200 pitter patter punches and now everyone says he's a runner. I like both guys as fighters, but if the fight ends up being boring there is a 90% chance that it is because of GSP not Condit.

Load Metric

Condit is entertaining. Guida had one boring fight in a monster career of barnburners. Joe Daddy ain't boring. Bones Jones ain't boring. Brian Stann, Tim Kennedy, Cub Swanson, John Dodson, Kyle Noke, Ike Vallie-Flagg, Donald Cerrone, Shane Carwin, Leonard Garcia, Jason MacDonald, David Loiseau, Andrei Arlovski, Nate Marquardt, even the chicks, Julie Kedzie, Michelle Waterson, Gina Carano was from Jackson's... You'd be retarded to call any of those fighters boring, but nobody gives Jackson credit for their awesome fights.

The "Jackson fighters are boring" line is silly, and never really true to any degree. For every boring fight they turn out, they get probably 2-3 fight of the night bonuses, at least.
    All Guidas fights are boring, Joe daddy just gets the shit beat out of him every fight. Condit ran the whole fight vs Diaz thats not entertaining in the least. I'm pretty sure if every person you listed is a Jackson fighter and not boring then Dana White doesnt understand the sport. He called him a sport killer for a reason, but I didnt say I agree just that he coaches his fighters the best game plan to win which alot of times makes it less entertaining. I'm not saying hes wrong you get paid to win, but from a fans perspective alot of Jackson fighters are boring.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post
    Some good commentary except for your remarks about the Condit vs. MacDonald fight.

I've heard others describe the fight as you did but that is not what happened. I watched that fight. Rory did not dominate Carlos during the first two rounds. At best, it was one round each going into the third.

Carlos did dominate Rory in the 3rd round and if the ref hadn't stopped it Rory would have been taken out on a stretcher. Carlos Condit beat Rory to a much greater degree than Rory beat Nate Diaz.
    I also watched the fight several times & thought Rory won the first 2 rounds easily. Maybe it's because I thought Condit was the better stand-up striker before the fight & Rory was in tough but he beat him to the punch the first 2 rounds. I totally disagree it was one round each going into the third. Condit barely laid a hand on him in the first 2 rounds & looked befuddled. I have no idea what happened in the third other than Rory gassed & Condit took it to him. If the ref doesn't stop it(& it was a good stoppage IMO), it's a draw in my books. I re-watched it several time because I first thought it was a bad stoppage but changed my mind.

I give Condit full marks for fighting through adversity & getting a win when it looked bleak for him after 2 rounds but I don't see it happening against GSP.

From what I found out about the judging in that fight (all 2nd hand), had it gone the full 3 rounds you would be correct if all 3 judges scored round three 10-9 for Condit. Rory would have squeaked out a split decision win. However, if at least 2 judges scored round three 10-8 for Condit, Condit would have won the decision. If only one scored the third round 10-8 it would have been a draw.

Rory did get 3 takedowns in the first round but he did nothing after the takedowns, so I gave Carlos round 1. Of course it's a moot point because Carlos destroyed Rory in round 3 to win by stoppage.

Your dispute actually poses a real problem for Condit in the GSP fight. George is a master of takedowns, often ducking under strikes to take an opponent down. Plus GSP knows how to blanket a downed opponent while applying pressure, strikes and submission attempts. Carlos must have an answer for this or it will be a long night for him.

I believe he is prepared for George's takedown attempts. Carlos will keep GSP at bay with his longer reach (punches and kicks) plus I look for Condit to repeatedly knee GSP to the head (although it might only take one).

Should be a good fight.

Load Metric
    All Guidas fights are boring
    Wha?!?!?!

You must mean that other clay guida. You must not have seen Guida-Bendo either, because that was one of the best fights of last year. Clay has won 5 Fight of the Night bonuses and 3 Sub of the Night bonuses. To call him boring is to say you have pretty much the opposite opinion of everyone I've ever heard mention the guy.

Joe daddy just gets the shit beat out of him every fight. Condit ran the whole fight vs Diaz thats not entertaining in the least. I'm pretty sure if every person you listed is a Jackson fighter and not boring then Dana White doesnt understand the sport. He called him a sport killer for a reason, but I didnt say I agree just that he coaches his fighters the best game plan to win which alot of times makes it less entertaining. I'm not saying hes wrong you get paid to win, but from a fans perspective alot of Jackson fighters are boring.
    You realize that Dana White is a Promoter, right? He's not married to the truth, matter of fact the truth has very little to do with anything Dana says. Dana's job is to make the brand excel, and fuck anyone or anything that makes him angry. This isn't a line I take very often, but when you go with the "Jackson fighters are boring" argument, wipe Dana's jizm out of your eyes and take a look at the body of work of Team Jackson fighters. They are some of the most exciting fighters out there. Every few months, one of them plays it safe and wins via ugly strategies, but show after show, Team Jackson fighters show up and put on some of the best fights we get, year after year.

When you trot out the words of Dana White as the basis of your argument, you're not doing yourself any favors, and I'm a fan of Dana. I also know that the truth has no place in his dealings with the media and the fans.

Condit had one fight you consider boring, right? How about his knee decapitating Stun Gun Kim? Was that boring? How about the Dan Hardy fight? Haven't heard anyone ever call that one boring. Same with the Rory Macdonald fight. The Ellenberger fight was 3 pretty solid rounds, not boring even when on the ground. He also never ONCE went to the scorecards in the WEC or Pancrase, which is pretty incredible in itself. Condit was an exciting finisher in an organization full of exciting finishers, and he still stood out.

from a fans perspective alot of Jackson fighters are boring.
    Only if you disregard every single fighter I mentioned, and take the word of Dana as scripture.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Wha?!?!?!

You must mean that other clay guida. You must not have seen Guida-Bendo either, because that was one of the best fights of last year. Clay has won 5 Fight of the Night bonuses and 3 Sub of the Night bonuses. To call him boring is to say you have pretty much the opposite opinion of everyone I've ever heard mention the guy.

Joe daddy just gets the shit beat out of him every fight. Condit ran the whole fight vs Diaz thats not entertaining in the least. I'm pretty sure if every person you listed is a Jackson fighter and not boring then Dana White doesnt understand the sport. He called him a sport killer for a reason, but I didnt say I agree just that he coaches his fighters the best game plan to win which alot of times makes it less entertaining. I'm not saying hes wrong you get paid to win, but from a fans perspective alot of Jackson fighters are boring.
    You realize that Dana White is a Promoter, right? He's not married to the truth, matter of fact the truth has very little to do with anything Dana says. Dana's job is to make the brand excel, and fuck anyone or anything that makes him angry. This isn't a line I take very often, but when you go with the "Jackson fighters are boring" argument, wipe Dana's jizm out of your eyes and take a look at the body of work of Team Jackson fighters. They are some of the most exciting fighters out there. Every few months, one of them plays it safe and wins via ugly strategies, but show after show, Team Jackson fighters show up and put on some of the best fights we get, year after year.

When you trot out the words of Dana White as the basis of your argument, you're not doing yourself any favors, and I'm a fan of Dana. I also know that the truth has no place in his dealings with the media and the fans.

Condit had one fight you consider boring, right? How about his knee decapitating Stun Gun Kim? Was that boring? How about the Dan Hardy fight? Haven't heard anyone ever call that one boring. Same with the Rory Macdonald fight. The Ellenberger fight was 3 pretty solid rounds, not boring even when on the ground. He also never ONCE went to the scorecards in the WEC or Pancrase, which is pretty incredible in itself. Condit was an exciting finisher in an organization full of exciting finishers, and he still stood out.

Only if you disregard every single fighter I mentioned, and take the word of Dana as scripture.
    I agree with this.

Saying 'Jackson fighters' are boring is just not supported by the truth, the facts...the actual fights.

Load Metric
    I like Guida personally because I met him and in a bad situation that most people would have snapped he kept his composure he's a good guy, but he jumps around and acts all hype and gets everyone all fired up, and he tries to lay on people. I shouldnt have said all because awhile back he was an exciting fighter that went toe to toe, but Jackson turned him into a boring fighter that lays on guys. I dont think of danas word as the bible or whatever you said in fact I cant stand most things about the guy.

In the Hendo fight he landed 11 strikes and thats a great fight? He got beat up because he couldnt hold him down for 3 rounds like he did to Pettis.

Load Metric
    Wha?!?!?!

Agreed its hard to believe anything he says because he lies so often, but he gains nothing by talking shit about Jackson. I agreed with Jackson that JBJ shouldnt have took that fight on short notice. Any trainer wouldnt care about his fighter to tell him to take a lose/lose situation that was offered. Regardless if he wins that fight from a strategic point of view its just stupid.

Load Metric
    I like Guida personally because I met him and in a bad situation that most people would have snapped he kept his composure he's a good guy, but he jumps around and acts all hype and gets everyone all fired up, and he tries to lay on people. I shouldnt have said all because awhile back he was an exciting fighter that went toe to toe, but Jackson turned him into a boring fighter that lays on guys. I dont think of danas word as the bible or whatever you said in fact I cant stand most things about the guy.

In the Hendo fight he landed 11 strikes and thats a great fight? He got beat up because he couldnt hold him down for 3 rounds like he did to Pettis.
    If you didn't like the Henderson-Guida fight, if you didn't think that was entertaining, I got nothing for you. There's a lot more to a good fight than a punch count.

Speedster Out of Clemson adamantium's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Wha?!?!?!

I dont give a shit about your argument but are you saying that people doesnt know what a boring fight is?
    break it down any way ouy want people wanna see hailmarys and knockouts, not tecnical jabs and circle to your rights

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by adamantium View Post
    Wha?!?!?!

I dont give a shit about your argument but are you saying that people doesnt know what a boring fight is?
    break it down any way ouy want people wanna see hailmarys and knockouts, not tecnical jabs and circle to your rights
    Who are you even talking about? Condit has 28 wins, 26 of them KO's or Subs.

Load Metric
    Wha?!?!?!

Im talking about jackson having boring fighters, or are all the fans just clueless compared to you eXXXpets

Load Metric

Guida Henderson fight was excellent, and your numbers are off, as well. Gotta be a different fight youre thinking of.

Load Metric

Im talking about jackson having boring fighters, or are all the fans just clueless compared to you eXXXpets
    Say it often enough and it must be true, right? Is that what you're telling me?

I listed over a dozen fighters a few posts up who are never boring, by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody looks at a Donald Cerrone fight and says "What a boring Jackson fighter." People have said a ton of shit about Leonard Garcia and his fights, but never once boring. Same with every other guy I named, but all you give in return is "Jackson fighters are boring." On the whole, its just not true, no matter how many people say it.

Load Metric
    they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true

Load Metric

I listed over a dozen fighters a few posts up who are never boring, by any stretch of the imagination. Nobody looks at a Donald Cerrone fight and says "What a boring Jackson fighter." People have said a ton of shit about Leonard Garcia and his fights, but never once boring. Same with every other guy I named, but all you give in return is "Jackson fighters are boring." On the whole, its just not true, no matter how many people say it.
    Oh so Cerrone wasnt more exciting before he went to UFC? so Dana just took shit out of thin air calling out jackson? him being a promotor and all should really praise jackson wouldnt you say if what you say is true no?

Thread Information