Thread: Jeff Madsen is now a poker coach

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Jeff Madsen is now a poker coach

From his Twitter:

Jeff Madsen ‏@JeffMadsenobv
    peeps! message me for interest in private poker lessons; have been doing it for couple months now, client base growing. guaranteed results!!

Jeff Madsen ‏@JeffMadsenobv
    one of my poker students just made a final table in Tahoe when I met her she was a beginner now she's already getting results! could be u!

Watch out, Maven?

https://twitter.com/JeffMadsenobv

Load Metric
    Did you ever do any poker coaching Druff?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Did you ever do any poker coaching Druff?
    No.

I should have back in 2005, when Limit Holdem was still cool and I was fresh off that WSOP success.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    According to Hendon Mob he hasn't cashed for over $100k in a donkament since January 31st, 2010 which for someone who "specializes" in live tournaments you can bet he's pissed away a lot of his own money and backers over the past 3 years.

Load Metric
    prank call madsen as potential client on tonight's show?

Load Metric
    heard he grinds 6-12 mix at the venetian now

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I have no facts to back this up, but I think Madsen's struggles in recent years are actually a result of loss of confidence.

Tournaments are very streaky, and you can go through long and frustrating dry spells, which make you question every move that doesn't turn out well. It can be even worse when you KNOW you made the wrong move that might have cost you a higher finish, and unlike when you're running well, you can't just shake it off and move on.

This is why I believe it's a mistake to be a tournament pro unless you're in the very top elite of tournament players who consistently kill it year after year.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I have no facts to back this up, but I think Madsen's struggles in recent years are actually a result of loss of confidence.

Tournaments are very streaky, and you can go through long and frustrating dry spells, which make you question every move that doesn't turn out well. It can be even worse when you KNOW you made the wrong move that might have cost you a higher finish, and unlike when you're running well, you can't just shake it off and move on.

This is why I believe it's a mistake to be a tournament pro unless you're in the very top elite of tournament players who consistently kill it year after year.
    He plays tourneys staked anyway I'm sure. Smart thing would be to keep playing the lotto tickets with somebody elses money like hes doing, and beat cash games with his own money. I doubt there are any cash games that he can beat tho. Also I think asian spa's bad juju is what crushed his confidence. That stuff tilted the shit out of him lol

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by rickastley View Post
    prank call madsen as potential client on tonight's show?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Maybe loss of confidence but I would point more toward Variance and tougher competition. From what I have heard the pools for the WPTS etc are MUCH MUCH smaller and the competition is so much better. Even the best of the best have a very small edge.

There is really nobody who will crush these things year in and year out. It just doesn't happen and if it does they are just running hot more than likely. You can't get a big enough sample on the bigger events to know whether u are good or not. Best bet with these things is to quit after a score or 2 unless someone is backing you

Load Metric

Just listened to this show. I've heard that very few pro players can survive predominately by playing mostly tournaments because of the extremely high variance. I've read that most big pros play a mix of cash and tournaments, with the lower variance of cash games reducing the overall variance on one's bankroll.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by MumblesBadly View Post

Just listened to this show. I've heard that very few pro players can survive predominately by playing mostly tournaments because of the extremely high variance. I've read that most big pros play a mix of cash and tournaments, with the lower variance of cash games reducing the overall variance on one's bankroll.

welcome to 2 and 1/2 years ago

sick bump

better late than never I guess

Thread Information