Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet question for people who live in the sticks

Platinum
    Load Metric

Internet question for people who live in the sticks

So I am looking at houses to rent with my lease being up, and I went to one today that was a little out there, in a location where they didn't have any underground lines run for internet and what not. They won't be putting any in either as the property is adjacent a state park.

The lady kind of threw that little tidbit in at the end, and I was like....wait what...no internet?? She said it had to be satellite based or some shit, and I guess maybe dial up because there IS a landline running to the house in that regard for a phone line.

Question is are there any other options? I mean this is a like a huge deal, and I have experienced satellite internet (through my phone hotspot) and it sucks dick and there is no way I would do that. There has to be some type of technology to get around this right or no?

That is obviously a dealbreaker if I have horribly slow internet, my office will be ran out of the house and that just wouldn't work.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Satellite would probably be your only option if you can't get cable internet/dsl and satellite internet sucks.

I have a friend who lives in an area they won't run cable lines down his road it's sort of a dead end area and all he can get is satellite tv and internet which he hates it. He has lived in this house for around 10 years now and called the cable company that serves that area probably a few hundred times over the years and they have no intentions of ever putting lines in since it serves such a small amount of people and they don't find it to be a profitable move.

I'd look around someplace else.

Load Metric
    Is there any reliable cell service around? Is a service like Clear an option?

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    What the hell is Clear?

I noticed my phone was roaming when I was out there.

It is odd because it isn't like it is the middle of nowhere, I mean it is out in the country a little bit but not like miles from civilization.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    What the hell is Clear?

I noticed my phone was roaming when I was out there.

It is odd because it isn't like it is the middle of nowhere, I mean it is out in the country a little bit but not like miles from civilization.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Clear&l=1

In short, Clear (used to be Clearwire) is 4g internet. Subscribe, get a modem, and it connects via the same signal-type as a smartphone.

On their homepage, there's an option somewhere to pop your address in and see if their service works in your area. Probably take whatever they say with a grain of salt, tho, because those maps ain't always right.
    Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 11-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I had verizon dsl for 1.5 years and it never went down once and speeds were fine

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Article here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...tions/1613461/

2:51PM EDT October 7. 2012 - Question: I live in a very rural area without cable, DSL or the other usual broadband options. How in the world can I improve my Internet connection beyond the weak Verizon 3G connection I use?

Answer: I get this question dismayingly often -- in the last few weeks, once from a reader quoted above, then from the guy I buy cheese from at my usual farmer's market. And there usually aren't good answers to it.

Hoping that your local telephone or cable-TV monopoly will extend service is unlikely to be rewarded, although Comcast did pledge to extend service to another 400,000 homes as part of its merger with NBC Universal. If a neighbor with broadband lives close enough, however, you can try rigging a souped-up Wi-Fi network to relay the connection; "white spaces" wireless (often, misleadingly, called "super WiFi") running on unused TV frequencies may help with that soon.

The usual option for people beyond the reach of wired broadband is satellite Internet access, which only requires a clear view of the southern sky. Historically, high costs for equipment and the service itself, stringent usage limits, slow connections and the lag induced by the 44,000-mile round trip data must take to and from geosynchronous orbit have made satellite the broadband of last resort.

More recently, satellite services have been offering faster plans with higher data quotas. But you still need to watch the fine print.

For instance, last Monday Dish Network began selling a new DishNet service with download speeds of 5 million bits per second (10 Mbps in some areas, courtesy of "spot beam" targeting of the signal) and uploads of 1 Mbps at an advertised rate of $39.99 a month. That easily beats older satellite services--but if you don't sign up for one of Dish's TV subscriptions, you pay $10 extra. And an "equipment lease fee" adds another $10 a month.

This plan comes with a data cap of 10 gigabytes, but the fine print explains that 5 GB of that limit can only be used between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. Plan on downloading those multi-hundred-megabyte updates from Apple or Microsoft overnight.

For what it's worth, a slightly faster, $49.99 service with a 7.5 GB data cap provided by ViaSat's WildBlue operation on a different satellite from Dish's has similar issues with non-obvious costs and data-usage limits. So does the discounted-to-$49.99 "Gen4" access Dish sells under its HughesNet brand. And neither company clearly says how much it will throttle back a connection if you exceed your data limit.

Wireless broadband from a cellular-data service can be another option, but that too often fades out in the countryside. The reader complained of a slow connection that "at times stalls or sometimes even drops."

But the Federal Communications Commission is banking on wireless to fill more of those gaps. In the National Broadband Plan it released in 2010, the FCC proposed to shift its longstanding "universal service" subsidy program from telephone service to broadband while freeing up more spectrum for wireless data by reclaiming unused and underused TV channels, among other sources.

All of these things--expanded cable or DSL deployment, upgraded white-spaces wireless or broader mobile broadband--will take a while to accomplish. In the meantime, you can only hope that satellite broadband becomes a last resort with fewer reservations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post
    Article here: http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/p...tions/1613461/

2:51PM EDT October 7. 2012 - Question: I live in a very rural area without cable, DSL or the other usual broadband options. How in the world can I improve my Internet connection beyond the weak Verizon 3G connection I use?

Answer: I get this question dismayingly often -- in the last few weeks, once from a reader quoted above, then from the guy I buy cheese from at my usual farmer's market. And there usually aren't good answers to it.

Hoping that your local telephone or cable-TV monopoly will extend service is unlikely to be rewarded, although Comcast did pledge to extend service to another 400,000 homes as part of its merger with NBC Universal. If a neighbor with broadband lives close enough, however, you can try rigging a souped-up Wi-Fi network to relay the connection; "white spaces" wireless (often, misleadingly, called "super WiFi") running on unused TV frequencies may help with that soon.

The usual option for people beyond the reach of wired broadband is satellite Internet access, which only requires a clear view of the southern sky. Historically, high costs for equipment and the service itself, stringent usage limits, slow connections and the lag induced by the 44,000-mile round trip data must take to and from geosynchronous orbit have made satellite the broadband of last resort.

More recently, satellite services have been offering faster plans with higher data quotas. But you still need to watch the fine print.

For instance, last Monday Dish Network began selling a new DishNet service with download speeds of 5 million bits per second (10 Mbps in some areas, courtesy of "spot beam" targeting of the signal) and uploads of 1 Mbps at an advertised rate of $39.99 a month. That easily beats older satellite services--but if you don't sign up for one of Dish's TV subscriptions, you pay $10 extra. And an "equipment lease fee" adds another $10 a month.

This plan comes with a data cap of 10 gigabytes, but the fine print explains that 5 GB of that limit can only be used between 2 a.m. and 8 a.m. Plan on downloading those multi-hundred-megabyte updates from Apple or Microsoft overnight.

For what it's worth, a slightly faster, $49.99 service with a 7.5 GB data cap provided by ViaSat's WildBlue operation on a different satellite from Dish's has similar issues with non-obvious costs and data-usage limits. So does the discounted-to-$49.99 "Gen4" access Dish sells under its HughesNet brand. And neither company clearly says how much it will throttle back a connection if you exceed your data limit.

Wireless broadband from a cellular-data service can be another option, but that too often fades out in the countryside. The reader complained of a slow connection that "at times stalls or sometimes even drops."

But the Federal Communications Commission is banking on wireless to fill more of those gaps. In the National Broadband Plan it released in 2010, the FCC proposed to shift its longstanding "universal service" subsidy program from telephone service to broadband while freeing up more spectrum for wireless data by reclaiming unused and underused TV channels, among other sources.

All of these things--expanded cable or DSL deployment, upgraded white-spaces wireless or broader mobile broadband--will take a while to accomplish. In the meantime, you can only hope that satellite broadband becomes a last resort with fewer reservations.
    TY sir.

FWIW that Clear service has good reviews.

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Would be surprised if 4g works in the sticks (yet) but worth putting the address in to see if it is coming.

For example I just put in Ann Arbor, MI (pop 344,000) and it shows no coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Do NOT go with a 10 GB cap if you regularly use the internet -- even if you rarely download anything.

That will get eaten up a lot faster than you think. Every time you watch an embedded video, for example (sometimes which you have no choice to watch), it will quickly eat up data.

There are satellite internet services with no cap, but you will have the problem of intermittent slowness, and sometimes it goes out completely when it rains/snows.

You might still have the option of DSL. If you do, it's far from ideal, but it might be doable. It is on the slow side (1.5 Mbps), but you won't notice the slowness unless you're either downloading or loading intense web content (such as videos). Also, keep in mind that DSL has very poor support these days, as it has been largely phased out in favor of FIOS type services.

In general, I would avoid moving to any place that has lousy internet service, as the situation is only likely to get worse as the years progress and the typical web user is expected by the designers to have faster and faster internet.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Would be surprised if 4g works in the sticks (yet) but worth putting the address in to see if it is coming.

I have to agree with this theory.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    No coverage for Clear in my area either.

Google turned up this though....

Filed Under Wireless
    Verizon's HomeFusion LTE to the home now available nationwide
    By Terrence O'Brien posted May 2nd 2012 1:44PM

Verizon's HomeFusion LTE to the home now available nation-wide Verizon is trying to put the final nail in the coffin of its DSL service. Of course, that's still a long way off but, for those outside of reach of its FiOS tentacles, Big Red is pushing HomeFusion. The LTE to the home solution, which started rolling out in early March, is now available nationwide... provided your definition of "nationwide" jibes with Verizon's. Still, with a claimed two-thirds of the US population covered by 230 distinct 4G markets, VZW is hoping to expand its residential broadband footprint without running those costly and ugly wires. The five to 12 Mbps down, and two to five Mbps up speeds aren't going to beat a fiber to the home connection, but it should run circles around your average DSL line. One thing it wont do, though, is save you money. With plans starting at $60 a month for 10GB of data and climbing to $120 for 30GB (not to mention the $10 per GB overage fees) HomeFusion isn't exactly a bargain. For more info check out the PR after the break.
    Have to buy a $200 transmitter that mounts on the outside of your house, and monthly service. I would run through 10gb of data in a week, and even the 30GB at $120 probably wouldn't be enough. Bill could be $150 every month easy.

Are those speeds good though?

More...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-new...-the-home/7910

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r271...tall-scheduled
    Last edited by NaturalBornHustler; 11-14-2012 at 05:34 PM.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Filed Under Wireless
    Verizon's HomeFusion LTE to the home now available nationwide
    By Terrence O'Brien posted May 2nd 2012 1:44PM

Verizon's HomeFusion LTE to the home now available nation-wide Verizon is trying to put the final nail in the coffin of its DSL service. Of course, that's still a long way off but, for those outside of reach of its FiOS tentacles, Big Red is pushing HomeFusion. The LTE to the home solution, which started rolling out in early March, is now available nationwide... provided your definition of "nationwide" jibes with Verizon's. Still, with a claimed two-thirds of the US population covered by 230 distinct 4G markets, VZW is hoping to expand its residential broadband footprint without running those costly and ugly wires. The five to 12 Mbps down, and two to five Mbps up speeds aren't going to beat a fiber to the home connection, but it should run circles around your average DSL line. One thing it wont do, though, is save you money. With plans starting at $60 a month for 10GB of data and climbing to $120 for 30GB (not to mention the $10 per GB overage fees) HomeFusion isn't exactly a bargain. For more info check out the PR after the break.
    Have to buy a $200 transmitter that mounts on the outside of your house, and monthly service. I would run through 10gb of data in a week, and even the 30GB at $120 probably wouldn't be enough. Bill could be $150 every month easy.

More...

Edit - Nope, that isn't available either just checked with Verizon. Sucks because reviews are off the charts, notwithstanding the gun they have to your head with the cost.

Load Metric

More...

Edit - Nope, that isn't available either just checked with Verizon. Sucks because reviews are off the charts, notwithstanding the gun they have to your head with the cost.

Check this out might be an option since it has unlimited overnight downloads http://www.exede.com/internet-packages-pricing

Banned
    Load Metric
    Wow, that is an interesting dilemma.

One possibility is to discover if your potential neighbors' have wifi/connection. If so, how did they get it?

Plus if one close neighbor has it, you can offer to split the cost for his PW. It's so EZ to 'borrow' your neighbor's connection (that's why mine is so secure) but if he has it....just ask him how he got it.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post

One possibility is to discover if your potential neighbors' have wifi/connection. If so, how did they get it?

Plus if one close neighbor has it, you can offer to split the cost for his PW. It's so EZ to 'borrow' your neighbor's connection (that's why mine is so secure) but if he has it....just ask him how he got it.
    How would my neighbors have it/access to it yet I wouldn't??

Here is the google map of the address.....

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&cl...ed=0CCsQ8gEwAA

Load Metric

did you really just release your address?

Banned
    Load Metric

Not sure how you're getting 344,000 people in A2? Maybe during game days?

Banned
    Load Metric

Simply because you're new there. You think there's no internet service yet you have plenty of neighbors. I just thought it prudent to make sure.

Thread Information