Thread: The New Mr Show.. Kinda... not really...

Load Metric

The New Mr Show.. Kinda... not really...

Anyone fucking with the new Bob & David netflix series?

I watched the first 2 eps. Its no Mr Show but even they admit its not supposed to be..

It definitely has moments.

The first thing that concerned me was seeing Tim Heidecker (of Tim and Eric) involved as an executive producer. Tim Heidecker, you see, isnt funny. He was great in Tom Goes To the Mayor if youre into that sort of thing (I actually was), which was produced by Bob Odenkirk actually.

The second thing that concerned me were the opening credits, which was exactly the sort of shitty neo-psychedelic ADD trash that's become Tim Heidecker's bread and butter with the Tim & Eric Great Show Whatever Whatever, which is on a lot of top ten lists which include 'Robot Chicken', 'weed', and 'fart jokes'.

And then the show starts and what becomes apparent pretty quickly is that neither Bob nor David are the same people who did Mr Show. The dynamic is just funky somehow. It's like everyone is there because they secretly feel like they owe everyone else a favor.

That said.

Its funny, more or less. Its not very dumb. It's giving a lot of exposure to actors who richly deserve exposure and gigs and acclaim.

But I still catch myself expecting it to be Mr Show and fighting off a lot of disappointment.

I will now open the floor to comment and peer review.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I've seen a bit. The New Years resolution skit was pretty funny.

Banned
    Load Metric

its free real estate
    Last edited by SrslySirius; 11-22-2015 at 05:11 PM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ToasterOven View Post
    I've seen a bit. The New Years resolution skit was pretty funny.
    Yup. It was pretty funny. And one of the segue scenes had me howling and guffawing IRL. And then... things just... it wasnt UNfunny it just didnt seem to be firing on all cylinders.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I haven't seen it. How are Bob and David not Bob and David anymore. More PC? Just not as funny as they were?

Load Metric
    They used to be super hungry and willing to totally take on weird and extreme rolls, for starters. That seems like its no longer really in the mix.

Also, back in the Mr Show days, they used to mostly write each other's parts; Bob would write David's character in a sketch and visa versa. Pure conjecture here but I think they no longer do that, I think they just decided to kick back and do a very basic, very straight forward comedy sketch show, albeit one with linear plot development and an established team and a few other nice touches.

But I never really feel like this one is coloring very far outside the lines, and with original Mr Show, there were like, no lines at all, it was just full throttle holy shittery from stem to stern.

Load Metric
    Like this? Best skit of all time imo,

Load Metric
    This one too

Comments

Crowe Diddly: an all time great rep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    They used to be super hungry and willing to totally take on weird and extreme rolls, for starters. That seems like its no longer really in the mix.

Also, back in the Mr Show days, they used to mostly write each other's parts; Bob would write David's character in a sketch and visa versa. Pure conjecture here but I think they no longer do that, I think they just decided to kick back and do a very basic, very straight forward comedy sketch show, albeit one with linear plot development and an established team and a few other nice touches.

But I never really feel like this one is coloring very far outside the lines, and with original Mr Show, there were like, no lines at all, it was just full throttle holy shittery from stem to stern.

The 5th ep is pretty cool, and explains the process in play during this series, including (especially?) the writing process. You get to see sketches at the initial idea, then how it changes when others hear it, how it gets cut up, the actual taping, etc. Worth the hour.

i enjoyed the 4 eps, parts better than others obv, but better than most sketch shows, by a good measure. Eps 3-4 are better than 1-2, I think.

Load Metric
    one of my favorites

Last edited by Crowe Diddly; 11-22-2015 at 05:42 PM.

Load Metric
    Ok confession:

I havent gotten past ep 2.

So maybe I roll back in here with a fat mea culpa after I tuck into the second half of the run.

Also that ep 5 description sounds _fucking amazing_.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    this might be my favorite

That was good. How about the one with the band that was gay but they didn't know they were gay?

Comments

Hockey Guy: kinda like you????

dwai: rofl ^

Thread Information