Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attempt to deposit on Bovada leads to failure + accusation that I'm a victim of a romance scam

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Attempt to deposit on Bovada leads to failure + accusation that I'm a victim of a romance scam

The below is a great example of why so few fish are still playing online poker, and what a fucking disaster it is to deposit using Western Union these days.

I decided to put $2500 on Bovada (Bodog) today.

The fees they charge on credit cards sucks (it would cost something like $125 in fees to do $2500), so I always deposit there using Western Union. Bovada credits you back the WU fees (deposits only, not withdrawals), so that's the way I do it.

Here is the instructions they always give you:

1) Call up Bovada and tell them EXACTLY how much you want to deposit.

2) Bovada gives you the name of some shady Filipina and tells you to send them money in the Philippines.

3) You are supposed to send the money in US dollars (not Philippines $), and you are supposed to MAKE SURE not to say anything about poker, Bovada, or gambling.

4) You need to go down to a Western Union location and deposit there. I once tried online but it failed.

5) Once you have made the deposit, you call Bovada back with the Money Control Number, and they credit your account within 30 minutes.

This is a bit of a pain in the ass, but once you have it down, you can get the whole thing done fairly quickly, provided you live close to a WU location (which I do).

Up until today, I had always done between $1000 and $2000 with no problem.

Today I got a bit ambitious and did $2500.

The following fails occurred:

Fail #1

The Western Union location I'm close to is a supermarket bank. This bank demanded to see two forms of ID (usually they just ask for one) PLUS my social security card (which I was lucky enough to have on me). The bank later told me that $2500 is the magic number to trigger this.

They had to do all kinds of verification and paperwork, and I stood around for like 10-15 minutes while they were doing this shit. Finally, they got it done.

Fail #2

I walked back to my car with the paper showing my Money Control Number, but I then noticed that they mistakenly sent the money in Philippines $, which would not work for this deposit. (You have to follow the EXACT instructions, or the deposit fails.) I ran back into the supermarket and caught the bankers as they were packing up to leave (it was after closing by this point). I told them of the mistake they made, so they were nice about it and stayed late to fix it.

Basically, they needed to call Western Union, get the transfer refunded, and then re-submit it with the same money, this time in USD.

It took a LONG time to get this done -- like 25 minutes. They put me on the phone with Western Union at one point, and the representative told me that I would have to undergo some sort of "consumer fraud interview" prior to the money going through.

I was told that this interview was unrelated to the USD mistake we had just corrected, but was standard procedure in certain cases. Apparently, again, it was triggered by the amount of $2500.

The bank manager then confided in me that $2500 seems to be the exact amount often requested by foreign "romance scammers". Romance scammers are girls (or guys pretending to be girls) who find lonely, desperate saps, and ask for money either to come to the US or for some sort of emergency (inability to pay rent, medical problems, etc). Of course, after the romance scammers milk their target dry, they vanish into thin air.

Anyway, for some reason $2500 is the amount that is often scammed, so they panic at Western Union whenever they see it.

So I finally got the whole thing resent, and then I was told I would have to call this ridiculous consumer fraud protection number and do an "interview".

Fail #3

So now it's almost an hour later after this whole mess, and I am on what appears to be the last step -- convincing Western Union that I'm not a chump being scammed by some shady Filipina.

They asked me a ton of questions about my relationship with "Flora".

How do you know her? I told them that she was a friend of mine.

How long have you known her? I told them that I had known her for years.

How did I get to know her? I told them that I met her in New York.

What is she going to use the money for? I told them that she is just low on money and I'm helping a friend out, and that I volunteered to do it myself.

Is it a loan? I told them no.

How often do I talk to her? I told them once every few weeks.

How do I communicate with her? I said by e-mail and phone.

They sent these answers to some other department for review, and said they would call me back in 6-8 minutes.

I kept insisting that I knew all about romance fraud and other internet scams, but that "Flora" is a good friend whom I have known for years, and that this is totally safe and legitimate.

Not surprisingly, I got the call back, and the told me the transfer had been denied.

Now I have to pick up my refund tomorrow, and my Bovada account has $0.00.

Awful.

You can't reason with Western Union, either. You get a bunch of third world monkeys on the phone who just quote you lines off a computer.

Hilariously, while it was 100% clear that they thought I was some rube who got scammed, they claimed that they were denying this only because there was "a high chance of fraud on the other end -- that lots of people use fake IDs to steal the money".

I asked, "How could someone steal the money if they didn't know it was coming in the first place, and how would this scammer get the Money Control Number?"

They couldn't answer that, but just kept telling me that there was a high chance that Flora wouldn't get the money due to these identity thefts. They must tell people this because it's an easier way to shut them up, rather than telling them that it was determined that they're likely chumps who are getting scammed by the woman they think they "love".

Total joke.

I will try again tomorrow, for $1900 instead of $2500.

Load Metric
    Druff -

Go to one of the big-volume WU places like check cashing places, etc.

I have done lots of WU transfers over the years both in and out of poker sites wiring to lots of shady fake-sounding ladies in the PHilippines, and the big WU places don't bat an eye and they make sure its in USD and takes like <5 mins to do the whole thing. Def dont go to the grocery store or whatever - they don't have the experience

I actually sent $3k to bovada few months ago - I needed to show my SS# (funny thing is they refused to tell me the amount that would trigger this) but I was in and out of the building and $ credited to my account within the 1/2 hour.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Wow, that is awful.

You probably know there is a Bovada Rep with a PFA account who lurks here.

That Bovada person was here just a few days ago.

If you want to play on Americas Card Room, you'll get up to $1000 Bonus plus 27% Rakeback.

Load Metric
    I think it was like in 2008 when bodog was having serious processor issues, they had to send WU for all the withdrawals. If withdrawal was $3k or over you had to show your SS card and give your SS#. So i kept getting withdrawals of like $2,998 $2,990, $2,993. Not I guess technically structuring, but I'm glad I never got any grief about this.

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    You might want to have your girlfriend do this because your name will be flagged by the system.

You will also probably get a new female to send the money to and there will be no way to explain that to WU.

I had the US dollars Philippine money screw up once so I am very careful to check that.

The romance scam must be pretty big now because if use MoneyGram the specifically warn you about.

If you have a VISA debit card I would try that. Bovada has pretty high deposit limits. My debit card is from Bank of America which is notorious for rejecting gambling sites and my deposit last week ($300) went through in seconds.

Lastly I would drop the I am Todd Wittles bracelet winner on them through e-mail or by phone and they might be able to help you. On the other hand if they think that indicates you will win a lot they may not.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Corrigan View Post
    Druff -

Go to one of the big-volume WU places like check cashing places, etc.

I have done lots of WU transfers over the years both in and out of poker sites wiring to lots of shady fake-sounding ladies in the PHilippines, and the big WU places don't bat an eye and they make sure its in USD and takes like <5 mins to do the whole thing. Def dont go to the grocery store or whatever - they don't have the experience

I actually sent $3k to bovada few months ago - I needed to show my SS# (funny thing is they refused to tell me the amount that would trigger this) but I was in and out of the building and $ credited to my account within the 1/2 hour.
    this

I actually succeeded on one last week online, tried again last night and WU had me call them to prove my identity. Anyhow they use some gay system where they use a 3rd party to verify a phone # where to reach me. So they say we will call you back @ xxx xxx xxxx and I had to think for a minute. Where the fuck did these guys get that phone # and whose was it then I realized it was a family member. So I spoke with a manager and explained I was sending to the EXACT same person SAME amt as the week before and that had no problems. The guy tried to tell me they do not keep records of previous transactions and I would have to call my cell company and have them unblock my cell so their 3rd party could find it.

They also gavce me the option to go to the store which like Corrigan said is VERY easy. I used to ship stars cash all the time when I was super broke and never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SixToedPete View Post
    Wow, that is awful.

You probably know there is a Bovada Rep with a PFA account who lurks here.

That Bovada person was here just a few days ago.

If you want to play on Americas Card Room, you'll get up to $1000 Bonus plus 27% Rakeback.
    I unspammed your post, Pete.

I don't think ACR has regular limit games 10-20 or higher, do they?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by bukowski72 View Post
    You might want to have your girlfriend do this because your name will be flagged by the system.

You will also probably get a new female to send the money to and there will be no way to explain that to WU.

I had the US dollars Philippine money screw up once so I am very careful to check that.

The romance scam must be pretty big now because if use MoneyGram the specifically warn you about.

If you have a VISA debit card I would try that. Bovada has pretty high deposit limits. My debit card is from Bank of America which is notorious for rejecting gambling sites and my deposit last week ($300) went through in seconds.

Lastly I would drop the I am Todd Wittles bracelet winner on them through e-mail or by phone and they might be able to help you. On the other hand if they think that indicates you will win a lot they may not.
    I have a card that Bovada will take, but they charge like a 4.9% fee (or at least they did last time I checked), and I refuse to pay that.

The grocery store has worked for me for amounts of $2000 or less. Unless they changed something, I think my mistake was going up to $2500.

The guy at the bank refused to tell me the amount that triggered all of the problems, but felt bad for me after all the fail and told me quietly what was really going on.

Load Metric
    Since when?

I assume WU are being hardasses about this because Moneygram just got fined $100M for insufficiently policing that kind of scam.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...d_charges.html

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I just tried to deposit 600 on a site I use and I got a fraud email from my cc. So I called them and they put it through manually as I did the transaction

SFO

Walking Image Library
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Since when?

I assume WU are being hardasses about this because Moneygram just got fined $100M for insufficiently policing that kind of scam.

Weird. The last time I used MoneyGram was a few months ago and they had a recorded message that mentioned this type of stuff along with some other scams like buying a car over the internet.

"The MoneyGram Corporation reported that through the month of November for the year 2011 they refunded 4,870 transactions, amounting to $13.7 million in thwarted romance scams."

From their website:
    Romance

Did you meet someone through a personal ad, e-mail, chat room or an instant message? Did they ask you to send them money for travel or to help them financially? Do not wire the money - this is a SCAM. Any money received by this person cannot be recovered and you will be at loss for any money sent.

Buying a Vehicle

Have you found a great vehicle online or in an advertisement with a price too good to be true? Are you being asked to send the down payment through a MoneyGram money transfer?

Unfortunately, it's a SCAM. Do not send money for the vehicle to the seller or a payments representative. The vehicle purchase scammer may try to convince you to pay through MoneyGram to avoid sales tax and get a great price. They may even send you a letter or e-mail of authentication telling you that you have purchased the item, but in order to deliver it you need to wire funds first. Do not send the money. It is a SCAM. You will not receive a car or truck. Once money is wired and received, it cannot be recovered and, unfortunately, you will be at loss for any money transferred.

http://www.hutchnews.com/Bizag/19BIZ-BBBcolumn--1
    https://www.moneygram.com/wps/portal...KTjY3MTEwRTI!/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    From your issues you could be depositing via WU to Carbon, Lock, or any site still accepting Americans not just Bovada that would run you into this issues.

I dunno, the most I ever sent was $1k but if $2500 is famous amount for a particular scam they are trying to look out for you The questions they asked were too much all they needed to say "Are you sure you want to send this payment to "X" person down in the Philippines? We just want to make you aware of a popular scam going on in case any of these circumstances sound familiar to you prior to you sending it your money." They shouldn't be snooping so heavily into wondering your connection with the person you are sending money to that isn't their business.

I'd call Bovada back and let them know of the situation as they might want to provide you a different name to send they money to after that so it don't flag anything tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    From your issues you could be depositing via WU to Carbon, Lock, or any site still accepting Americans not just Bovada that would run you into this issues.

I dunno, the most I ever sent was $1k but if $2500 is famous amount for a particular scam they are trying to look out for you The questions they asked were too much all they needed to say "Are you sure you want to send this payment to "X" person down in the Philippines? We just want to make you aware of a popular scam going on in case any of these circumstances sound familiar to you prior to you sending it your money." They shouldn't be snooping so heavily into wondering your connection with the person you are sending money to that isn't their business.

I'd call Bovada back and let them know of the situation as they might want to provide you a different name to send they money to after that so it don't flag anything tomorrow.
    The problem with Bovada/Bodog is that they employ some of the world's biggest morons to answer their customer service number.

It is so difficult to get a straight and accurate answer out of them.

I did tell Bovada to cancel the whole thing, and they did. I tried to ask what the magic number is to avoid these problems, and I kept getting a lot of retarded answers that made no sense. I finally gave up and hung up on them.

I do have a funny Bodog customer service story from 2010, though.

They used to allow railbirds to chat in all of their games. Usually this didn't bother me, but I ended up with one "stalker" (he didn't know who I actually was in real life, btw) who kept talking shit repeatedly at my tables. The guy was very dedicated and would talk shit every time I sat down. Since he was a railtard, there was no way to block his chat, unless I blocked all chat, which I didn't want to do.

So everytime I would lose a hand, I would see him type, "HAHAHAH LOSER YOU SUCK! YOUR GONNA BUST LOLOLOLOL", which you'd think would be easy to laugh off, but it got really frustrating to read when I wasn't running well.

I don't mind when actual opponents talk shit to me, as I consider that part of the game, but I don't think railtards should be allowed to do that, as they are disturbing the game without actually putting their own money on the line.

I called customer service and asked them to ban this guy's chat.

The woman at customer service said her name was Rosa, but refused to do anything about it. The conversation went like this:

Rosa: You can block his chat if you wish.

Me: No, I can't. He's not a player in the game, so the software won't let me.

Rosa: Well, that is true, but you can block all chat.

Me: But I like being able to interact with the other players. So you're telling me that my only options are to either let this guy harass me for eternity, or turn off all chat? Even though he is broke and doesn't pay a dime in rake to you guys, while I am one of the site's highest raking players?

Rosa: Yes, I'm sorry, but I'm afraid that's your only option.

Me: So there is no rule against harassing people in chat?

Rosa: There is a rule, but only if the player is using profanity. Is this player using profanity?

Me: No. But he is harassing me constantly, and he has never once sat in the game himself.

Rosa: I'm sorry, but there is nothing we can do about that. Again, you can block all chat if you do not want to see his comments.

Me: So you are telling me that it is Bodog's policy that it's okay to harass other players, even as a railbird, as long as you don't use profanity?

Rosa: Yes, that is Bodog's policy

Me: Okay, thanks. I just recorded this, and I am going to post this conversation to the 2+2 forums. I am going to tell everyone that Rosa in customer service has authorized the entire forum to harass all high limit games, and that none of our chat will be blocked as long as we harass without profanity. I will then direct them to contact a manager at Bodog and play this recording of you giving permission to harass people if they end up getting their chat blocked. Thank you for clarifying this rule to me. All of my friends on 2+2 are going to have a good time with this.

Rosa: Hold on, sir.... [a few minutes pass]. Sir, we have blocked the chat of the user in question. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Comments

Serial Fail: wtf

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    LOL! Bovada customer support people are definitely bad but sometimes when you call you actually get someone who understands. Their have been a few times I've just hung up on a person then called back to talk to someone else. The positive is that they actually do have people you can talk to at any time instead of through email only communication but the problem with the operators is most are of course underpaid and under trained.

It would be much easier if they would just teach these people the most common 25 issues people run into with deposit/withdraws and other support issues then maybe they will know how to help people better. You simply give them a print out of the common problem and common solutions which it's not going to help every case but a lot of them.

They always say you can't deposit WU online either probably because they don't want to refund a higher fee but if they allowed this it would be so much easier since in about five times of depositing on their site either the WU clerk at the store misspelled the receiver's name, city, or I couldn't understand the support that I misspelled it on paper when I went down to the WU location to send the money. Online just saves time though you must always use the debit card option otherwise WU is accepted as a cash advance on your credit card charging you interest fees immediately which is something no sites will tell you about.

I guess a lot of these issues along with shitty software has kept pros off the site. Even with the annoying anonymous player names the site still has enough horrible recreational players to make people tempted to play there. They likely have sports and horse bettors chasing their losses too which helps.

BTW, if you get money on there I'm not sure if they still have it going but they were giving away a free 40% sports bet on a deposit which I'm not sure what they cap it at but if it's still going you definitely want to check it out. They gave me one of them a few weeks back when I deposited and it lasts until the end of the year so I'm waiting for a game I feel very comfortable using it on.
    Last edited by BeerAndPoker; 11-10-2012 at 07:05 AM.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Druff, you need to ask yourself "What would Chico Loco do?"

Either move to Mexico where its legal to play on Stars and FTP, or at least phone up WU and ask why they are fucking with his girl Flora.
    When faced with a difficult decision, ask yourself "What would Micon do?", then do the opposite.

PFA Rookie of the Year Awards
    2012: The Templar (unknown)
    2013: Jasep $5000+
    2015: Micon's gofundme legal defense $3k begging for 100k:
    2018: 4Dragons
    2019: Dutch Boyd: Mike Postle
    2020: Covid19
    2021: SMIFlorida and some sort of shit coins for $50k
    2022: BDubs leaks chums club info
    2023: 22nd Feb 4th Dec Youtube channels removed
    2024: Dustin Morgan wins Chrissy's $1000 contest

Gold
    Load Metric
    Why did you never assume the "romance scam" part was a lie.. For some reason I doubt WU is putting a bunch of resources into making sure people aren't falling into romance scams. It is likely the US government is pressuring them on shit to prevent money laundering. I'm surprised I can actually send $300 to a foreign country without ID. Dealing with any foreign bank has become a super headache for Americans because the US government is worried about 'money laundering' and so forth. Lots of foreign banks won't deal with Americans because of this. There is no reason to think WU gets a free pass on this. Really.. I don't think WU is looking out for rubes being roled by scammers. They get paid either way.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyB View Post
    Since when?

Oh well I'll leave my previous post up.. I find it amazing the US is forcing moneygram to play the part of investigators for every money transaction involved. What in the fuck is wrong with this country.

Load Metric
    Oh come on Druff....some guy said dumb shit like LOL YOUR GONNA BUST and you seriously got his chat banned? Did you ever go bust? I am assuming no, why would it bug you that much? tbh I could see why the western union people thought you were some shlleprock that got scammed.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    UPDATE

So now that I got my other issues with Bovada sorted out, I tried to send money again by Western Union.

This time I did $1950, an amount I have successfully sent many times in the past, including as recently as September.

Well, everything seemed fine, and I went through the proper procedure. However, I was supposed to get credited within 20 minutes, and I just checked 2 hours later, and it's not there.

I called Western Union back, and indeed, this was another one of those stupid security holds.

They put me through the interview again.

This time I had a better story:

I said I was sending the money to my father-in-law, who is having health problems.

They asked how I communicate with him. I said I talk to him when my wife calls him.

They asked if I am sure he's really my wife's father. I said yes.

They asked if I have received e-mail from him that could possibly be spoofing him. I said that he doesn't use e-mail.

They snap-accepted this bullshit story, but then told me that another department had "a few more questions" for me, and they transferred me there.

Of course, I ended up at the wrong department, and I was going crazy trying to find my way back to the right place.

Finally I did, and they told me it was approved, and I could have my father in law pick up the money.

I called Bovada back and told them to go get it. In 20 minutes I will know if it was success or yet another epic fail.

Such a fucking pain in the ass. I really hope I don't go busto because this is a nightmare.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, it went through.

Thread Information