Thread: local vs web based poker clients; both equally secure??

Load Metric

local vs web based poker clients; both equally secure??

I, just for curiosity sake, logged on to sealswithclubs poker site, and when I went to view a game in progress, I was surprised to find that their poker client is web based. I've never run across this before, but it did make me think, is it safe?? Obviously it must be, but it piqued my interest on the pros and cons between the two. Is it a simple answer?? One thing for sure, there would never be that occasional and inconvenient "updating client" wait (and sometimes fail) that local clients experience.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sitting Out View Post
    I, just for curiosity sake, logged on to sealswithclubs poker site, and when I went to view a game in progress, I was surprised to find that their poker client is web based. I've never run across this before, but it did make me think, is it safe?? Obviously it must be,
    Seals is about as low rent a room as you can find. While I have no idea what the inherent flaws are in the browser-based games, I do know that many people from the same IP can sit in the same cash games without so much as raising an eyebrow. So, in cases like that, it really doesn't matter if it's browser-based or a downloaded client.

Shitty security can take many forms.

Load Metric
    I wouldn't even bother with Seals.

Like CD said, the fact you can log on from the same IP and play at the same tables should scare people off.

Plus, Bitcoins......I mean, really? It's all about the dolla!

FWIW, a lot of the sites you can play on over here offer flash/in browser play. Party being the main one probably. But again, why bother with it when you can download the client and get the full features?

Load Metric
    If you live in the states there are decent options that will get you up on pstars pretty quickly. Look into that. Bitcoins and low rent poker skins=:badecision

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There isn't really any security difference between the two.

The web-based clients are also executing locally on your computer, just in a different way.

But yeah, stay away from Seals, for the reasons mentioned in this thread. There is literally zero security there.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Ask yourself "What would Micon do?"

Then do the opposite.

Load Metric
    seals with clubs is a joke. like literally. so why even bother

Load Metric
    browser based applications are infinitely less secure than binary clients, if only because of the attention web/browser based attacks get from weaponized code developers.

but above and beyond that, code sanitation issues are legion in web application.

oh and the only two browser based platforms ive seen online poker sites use are java and flash.

i believe something like 90%+ of all malware right now is Getting There using either java or flash.

and then you have IE itself; IE might not run as Administrator, but it can certainly execute code as Administrator.

its just a total shark tank right now. people *generally* write application/binary based poker apps more securely because they cant rely on bullshit APIs to accomplish huge swathes of functionality, so they have to do it by hand and often, but not always, do it right-ish.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    browser based far less secure. Obviously if you are playing from a shared computer then you might not want to DL one (or you can't).

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    If you live in the states there are decent options that will get you up on pstars pretty quickly. Look into that. Bitcoins and low rent poker skins=:badecision
    I trying my first game, but lost at all

Thread Information