Thread: Calvin and Hobbes

NoFraud Poker Room Manager Belly Buster's Avatar
    Load Metric

Calvin and Hobbes

Enjoying Hockey Guy's current avatar

Name:  image.gif
Views: 2475
Size:  22.1 KB

Calvin and Hobbes was a great cartoon strip.

Despite huge success, Bill Watterson never allowed any merchandising of the characters, although many unauthorised items did (and still do appear).

Someone circulated what was described as the last C&H strip, just called "Calvin", which shows Calvin growing up and more interested in homework than playing with his stuffed tiger. In fact it was a fake but it is actually quite poignant.

Name:  Last_Strip_Satire.jpg
Views: 4765
Size:  129.6 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    BTW JACKDANIELS is the first one banned from the thread. He is accusing me of being "duped by a middle aged man who dresses like John Cena"
    #FREEJACK #NEVERFORGET

NoFraud Online Poker Room: http://nofraud.pokerfraudalert.com:8087. For password resets and reload requests PM me.

Load Metric
    My second fave after the Far Side.

Banned
    Load Metric
    This was the last strip.

I used to own one of the C&H collection books, in which Watterson wrote a few lines of backstory under each strip. It's one of the better gifts I've received, and I wish I still had it. In it, he wrote a lot about his licensing disputes with Andrews McMeel.

I know a day will probably come when Watterson is dead and someone unscrupulous will have control of his estate. And we'll start seeing Calvin and Hobbes cartoon shows and movies pop up, with Pixar style animation and characters voiced by celebrities. It's going to be weird, Watterson will be rolling in his grave, and I will take no part in it.

Load Metric
    Here's a few more C&H gifs I'm going to get re-sized for avatars:
    Name:  Calvin Making Faces.gif
Views: 1675
Size:  120.8 KB
    Name:  Dance 2.gif
Views: 2714
Size:  342.1 KB
    Name:  Dance 3.gif
Views: 3375
Size:  593.6 KB
    Name:  Goodbye.gif
Views: 1450
Size:  244.5 KB
    Name:  Hobbs 2.gif
Views: 2048
Size:  145.3 KB
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Banned
    Load Metric
    This has been my desktop background the past 3 years or so.

Higher res link: http://i.imgur.com/LfP5v.jpg

Load Metric
    On a related note I was a big fan of this strip for probably a month before I realized Hobbs was a stuffed tiger. I just thought it was like snoopy & when I come to that revelation it made it even funnier for me.

By far my favorite comic strip of all time & when I saw this gif I knew I had to make it my avatar. I, at one time, owned every book. I still have them somewhere but I'd have to look for them after a couple moves.

Good times.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by SrslySirius View Post

I had something similar on my old computor. Great strip.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post

Despite huge success, Bill Watterson never allowed any merchandising of the characters, although many unauthorised items did (and still do appear).

Someone circulated what was described as the last C&H strip, just called "Calvin", which shows Calvin growing up and more interested in homework than playing with his stuffed tiger. In fact it was a fake but it is actually quite poignant.

Blech, insinuating Calvin was just another ADD kid in need of ritalin is really meh overall, what a shitty end (if true) to one of my favorite childhood characters. Far side is tits btw, the humor is weird and the drawings are and were very unique. Much love.

Load Metric

Dude that's amazing, looking at the picture brought back a few memories, it's amazing how a simple picture can do such amazing things instantly like revisiting childhood hobbies etc. Way cool.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    I own every book as well as the sepcial collections. To me, there is no comic even close to the Genuis that Waterson had, with Outland/Bloom County a very distant second.

I still remember this one as the first one i read that hooked me instantly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Belly Buster View Post

Blech, insinuating Calvin was just another ADD kid in need of ritalin is really meh overall, what a shitty end (if true) to one of my favorite childhood characters. Far side is tits btw, the humor is weird and the drawings are and were very unique. Much love.
    I think the cartoon is saying that putting kids on Ritalin ruins their childhood.

Load Metric
    Just in time for the holidays...
    The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
    http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Calvi...vin+and+hobbes
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    This was the last strip.

I used to own one of the C&H collection books, in which Watterson wrote a few lines of backstory under each strip. It's one of the better gifts I've received, and I wish I still had it. In it, he wrote a lot about his licensing disputes with Andrews McMeel.

I know a day will probably come when Watterson is dead and someone unscrupulous will have control of his estate. And we'll start seeing Calvin and Hobbes cartoon shows and movies pop up, with Pixar style animation and characters voiced by celebrities. It's going to be weird, Watterson will be rolling in his grave, and I will take no part in it.
    I've got that book. Watterson is gangster as fuck, probably the only successful comic strip writer to fight against merchandising.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There was some player on Stars who was obsessed with Calvin and Hobbes. He was mainly a tournament player, but occasionally came into 100-200. I used to say bad things about the characters just to piss him off, including a line that Hobbes should have been put to sleep. It actually worked, as the guy went on tilt whenever I said things like that.

In reality, I never had a problem with Calvin and Hobbes, and I respect Watterson for sticking to artistic principles and refusing the very lucrative merchandising opportunity.

At the same time, I was never a big fan of the strip. I read it, but it wasn't a strip I looked forward to.

Thread Information