Thread: Guess The Race - Sandwich Scammer Edition

Load Metric

Guess The Race - Sandwich Scammer Edition

Will link to the article after a few guesses.

Busted! Scamwich Artist Unmasked by Local Restaurant Owners

On September 26, Johnson opened his newest venture, Sugarfire Smokehouse. On the evening of the 27th, as he was cleaning up after a bustling second day of business, his phone rang. On the other end of the line was an unsatisfied customer who said the restaurant had botched his order when he'd stopped in to pick up lunch.

Specifically, the caller said the sides he'd chosen to accompany his sandwiches had been "all messed up." He demanded compensation.

"This guy tells me, 'I was in there earlier and got a carry-out order,'" Johnson recounts. "It was busy, so I didn't remember him."

Johnson was also puzzled. The man said he'd ordered three grilled-chicken sandwiches. But there's no chicken sandwich on Sugarfire's menu.

"Are you sure you didn't have the turkey?" Johnson says he asked.

No, the caller insisted, he'd ordered grilled-chicken sandwiches.

"Are you sure you're calling the right place?" Johnson persisted. "I don't have chicken, and I don't have a grill here."

At this point, Johnson says, the caller corrected himself. "It was the turkey sandwich," he said.

In spite of the dubious details, Johnson agreed to compensate the man for the mixup and told him to come by after lunchtime the next day.

Later that same evening, Natasha Creel and Emily Matthes, owners of one of Johnson's previous projects, Roxane (12 North Meramec Avenue, Clayton; 314-721-7700), stopped in to have a look around their friend's new place. When they overheard Johnson telling his executive chef about the strange phone conversation, they couldn't help interrupting.

The scenario, you see, sounded uncannily familiar. A man had been alleging similar snafus and demanding compensation from other area restaurants -- including Roxane.

What's more, Creel and Matthes said, thanks to their phone's caller ID they knew the man's name: Was Johnson's unsatisfied customer by any chance a Mitchell Kerman?

Johnson checked his caller ID log. Sure enough, there was the name: Mitchell Kerman.
    tl;dr - guy runs around stl scamming restaurants getting free food by saying they fucked up his order (lol outback steakhouse - jsearlesstole), several restaurant owners figure out same guy is doing this to all them so they confront him

article also lists where he works - bonus points for guessing his occupation

druff i called one his office and left his boss a message, could be a good one for finklestein

Load Metric
    just realized i made this too easy by leaving in a bit of info

my bad

Load Metric
    I take umbrage at the thread title. /thread

Load Metric
    since no one wants to play and i've already offended sandwich

Name:  Scamwich-Artist-thumb-280x373.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  81.5 KB

mitchell kerman 52 and a resident of olivette, MO can be contacted at Hughes Wilner & Wolfe, a Ladue accounting firm

(314) 991-2260 or 314-993-6902

i made sure to call and let the partners know i would never trust my money with a CPA who defrauds local businesses out of lunch

edit:

lol forgot to link to article

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/gut...st_unmaske.php
    Last edited by WillieMcFML; 10-24-2012 at 03:03 PM.

Banned
    Load Metric

Thread Information