Thread: Charity poker tournament format - help needed

Load Metric

Charity poker tournament format - help needed

Hey Guys,

I have been put in charge of organizing the format for a charity poker tournament which will help raise money for local junior athletes in various sports. My only tournament experience was when I first started playing and it was sit and gos. All the poker I have played is cash poker so I'm looking for some advice. Here is what I've thought of so far but would really like advice or tips from the more experienced players here. I'd also be interested if anyone could offer a format that would wrap up a tournament of about 100 people in 8 hours or less.

- $100 buy in with some kind of add on - I'm not sure what kind of add on is normal or appropriate, I was thinking $25 to get 25% more chips?
    - a rebuy period, I'm assuming during this period the rebuy is the same as the buy-in. I'm curious how many levels this should last for?
    - What would be a reasonable amount of chips to start with?
    - How long should levels be?
    - If I get around the 100 people range how many people should finish in the money?

There are prizes given as well as money. I am thinking 50% of the buy-ins will go towards the cause and 50% towards the prize pool. I have lined up a couple trips from sponsors, golf packages and other various prizes for the event as well.

Thanks for any help.

Load Metric
    Have a look at this site: http://blindvalet.com/

They have a free non-kessler approved structure calculator that works well. http://blindvalet.fr/en/blind-structure-calculator

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    Hey Guys,

I have been put in charge of organizing the format for a charity poker tournament which will help raise money for local junior athletes in various sports. My only tournament experience was when I first started playing and it was sit and gos. All the poker I have played is cash poker so I'm looking for some advice. Here is what I've thought of so far but would really like advice or tips from the more experienced players here. I'd also be interested if anyone could offer a format that would wrap up a tournament of about 100 people in 8 hours or less.

- $100 buy in with some kind of add on - I'm not sure what kind of add on is normal or appropriate, I was thinking $25 to get 25% more chips?
    - a rebuy period, I'm assuming during this period the rebuy is the same as the buy-in. I'm curious how many levels this should last for?
    - What would be a reasonable amount of chips to start with?
    - How long should levels be?
    - If I get around the 100 people range how many people should finish in the money?

There are prizes given as well as money. I am thinking 50% of the buy-ins will go towards the cause and 50% towards the prize pool. I have lined up a couple trips from sponsors, golf packages and other various prizes for the event as well.

Thanks for any help.
    I'd say no more than 8 is reasonable.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    9 should be in the money.

Thread Information