Thread: Just saw ARGO in the theater within the last couple hrs

Load Metric

Just saw ARGO in the theater within the last couple hrs

Definitely a Go see movie. Always had trepidation with Affleck with some of the movies he's been behind but this one is definitely a great movie and worth the price of Admission. It lives up the hype and tells the story many of us were barely old enough to remember the Hostage crisis or for some not even born yet. If anything it shows how the mess with Iran all got started ,and its not kind and explains at least partially, why Iran has the animosity it had towards us initially and likely still does to this day based on our meddling in their country back in the 50s, under Eisenhower by inciting a coup de tat, that took down the Democratic elected government in 1952 (who apparently didnt like being used by the British and American governments and oil companies) from 2 years prior, to return the Shah to the Throne (who was much more Pro-USA) and who's actions were as brutal and menancing as anything the Mullahs have done since they came to power in 79. While one cant be sure of the dramatic ending being as it was shown as it was primarily based on declassified information from records as well as personal details from Tony Mendez himself its likely not too far off the truth that they were very very close to being caught and shot (which would have been as big if not bigger a PR disaster for Carter then the epic fail of a rescue mission that they attempted to mount).
    Last edited by ftpjesus; 10-12-2012 at 12:27 PM.

Load Metric
    so you're saying his haircut isn't an insurmountable distraction?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post
    so you're saying his haircut isn't an insurmountable distraction?
    Hmm I dunno we'd have to get OSAs opinion on Afflecks looks in the movie Id dare say. Im not one to pass judgement but remember this was the end of the 70s going into 1980 when disco was king and longer hair was common. He essentially looked the part I would guess, Ops guys had to be able to blend in and not stick out like some "G-man type" (once ya see the movie you'll understand that reference).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Definitely a Go see movie. Always had trepidation with Affleck with some of the movies he's been behind but this one is definitely a great movie and worth the price of Admission. It lives up the hype and tells the story many of us were barely old enough to remember the Hostage crisis or for some not even born yet. If anything it shows how the mess with Iran all got started ,and its not kind and explains at least partially, why Iran has the animosity it had towards us initially and likely still does to this day based on our meddling in their country back in the 50s, under Eisenhower by inciting a coup de tat, that took down the Democratic elected government in 1952 (who apparently didnt like being used by the British and American governments and oil companies) from 2 years prior, to return the Shah to the Throne (who was much more Pro-USA) and who's actions were as brutal and menancing as anything the Mullahs have done since they came to power in 79. While one cant be sure of the dramatic ending being as it was shown as it was primarily based on declassified information from records as well as personal details from Tony Mendez himself its likely not too far off the truth that they were very very close to being caught and shot (which would have been as big if not bigger a PR disaster for Carter then the epic fail of a rescue mission that they attempted to mount).
    He's 2-0 with me in terms of the movies that he has DIRECTED. Glad to see that this one is no different. Everything I have seen regarding it has been excellent.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Saw it yesterday. Awesome.

This thread has a link to the Wired story that it is based on.
    http://pokerfraudalert.com/forum/sho...highlight=argo
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    He's 2-0 with me in terms of the movies that he has DIRECTED. Glad to see that this one is no different. Everything I have seen regarding it has been excellent.
    Yup, Gone Baby Gone and The Town were both excellent movies. FTP, which movies that Affleck was behind (not just an actor in) were you unhappy with? Will be seeing Argo this week, looking forward to it.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post

Yup, Gone Baby Gone and The Town were both excellent movies. FTP, which movies that Affleck was behind (not just an actor in) were you unhappy with? Will be seeing Argo this week, looking forward to it.
    Look up the movie FEAST.. Affleck was Exec Prod on it. Was a wretched horror movie my guess is either he was drunk or something when he agreed to be a part of it. The plot was simply people locked in a bar fighting monsters (basically it was a fucked up version of the much better Dawn till Dusk).

Another is The Battle of Shaker Heights where he also was EP. (Movie had Shia Lebouf and Amy Smart as stars in the movie). Just wasnt a good movie.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Feast was spawned from the reality show project green light, come on now braheemmmmmm

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post

Look up the movie FEAST.. Affleck was Exec Prod on it. Was a wretched horror movie my guess is either he was drunk or something when he agreed to be a part of it. The plot was simply people locked in a bar fighting monsters (basically it was a fucked up version of the much better Dawn till Dusk).

Another is The Battle of Shaker Heights where he also was EP. (Movie had Shia Lebouf and Amy Smart as stars in the movie). Just wasnt a good movie.
    Kind of a stretch. Those were both part of that reality show "Project Greenlight".

EDIT: What Lew said. I was typing post then got interrupted.

Load Metric
    It was apparent to me after "The Town" the guy definitely has real talent being a director. Will Def check out Argo.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    It was apparent to me after "The Town" the guy definitely has real talent being a director. Will Def check out Argo.
    well worth seeing in the theatre, just saw it tonight and it was terrific.

Load Metric
    Ar go fuck yourself.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Dragons View Post
    Ar go fuck yourself.
    Over/Under on amount of Oscar noms it gets?

I'll set the line at 4.

Load Metric
    Grey Cup Champs!

Load Metric
    Ar go fuck yourself.

I'll set the line at 4.
    Affleck with the non-performance. Guy just showed up. Hostages were a motley lot. Goodman did what he could with what he was given. Arkin should get a nod, he was near perfect. The Iranian guard at the airport should probably get a nod too, guy was real life scary. Best Screenplay, shoo in for Best Director because everything this year has been ass. Best Production Design, Best Costume Design... Yeah maybe 4.

Load Metric

I'll set the line at 4.
    Affleck with the non-performance. Guy just showed up. Hostages were a motley lot. Goodman did what he could with what he was given. Arkin should get a nod, he was near perfect. The Iranian guard at the airport should probably get a nod too, guy was real life scary. Best Screenplay, shoo in for Best Director because everything this year has been ass. Best Production Design, Best Costume Design... Yeah maybe 4.
    Original screenplay maybe but its going to be competing with Lincoln for that. Adapted Screenplay will likely be Life of Pi which will probably run away with cinematography and might see a nomination for the younger Pi actor (dude and the CGI tiger only for half the movie literally takes a hell of an acting job to pull it off and he did well). I still suspect that the big winner will be Les Mis which has yet to open for another 3 weeks.

Load Metric

Original screenplay maybe but its going to be competing with Lincoln for that. Adapted Screenplay will likely be Life of Pi which will probably run away with cinematography and might see a nomination for the younger Pi actor (dude and the CGI tiger only for half the movie literally takes a hell of an acting job to pull it off and he did well). I still suspect that the big winner will be Les Mis which has yet to open for another 3 weeks.
    Oh, buddy jesus, I didn't say wins, just nominations. I think it should blank except maybe best supporting actor.

Thread Information