Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hows that shutting down Strasburg working out for the Nationals?

Load Metric

Hows that shutting down Strasburg working out for the Nationals?

For 2nd game in a row they are shitting the bed despite having the best record in the NL and all of baseball and you cant blame it all on lack of offense, but when your pitchers give up 20 fucking runs already in the last 2 games (and Game 3 isnt over yet) its a sure sign the GM made one fucking huge mistake. You dont fucking burn your season and a legit shot to win the WS like this. Strasburg sure as hell wants to pitch and I can guarantee alot of the players arent going to be happy with Rizzo when all is said and done if they get thrashed and booted in 4 games which sure as hell looks likely now.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    For 2nd game in a row they are shitting the bed despite having the best record in the NL and all of baseball and you cant blame it all on lack of offense, but when your pitchers give up 20 fucking runs already in the last 2 games (and Game 3 isnt over yet) its a sure sign the GM made one fucking huge mistake. You dont fucking burn your season and a legit shot to win the WS like this. Strasburg sure as hell wants to pitch and I can guarantee alot of the players arent going to be happy with Rizzo when all is said and done if they get thrashed and booted in 4 games which sure as hell looks likely now.
    I love how when they tried to defend the move they claimed that this was "doctors orders", and then recently they asked the doctor. Oh and then that doctor said they did not call him one time to ask him for his opinion.

We all know this has Scott fucking Boras written all over it, because he is the most vile disgusting man in baseball who probably threatened the Nationals with something if they didn't bow down to his demands.

And the Nationals/Rizzo, being the pussies they are, won't admit it and are covering for him.

Load Metric
    Yankees prospect Manny Banuelos, who the last couple years was handled with kiddie gloves with the pitch/innings limits just went under the knife for TJ surgery.

There's no real facts that support the Nationals decision to shut him down. They backed themselves into the nearly impossible corner of having to win the World Series now, or else that decision will be a failure.

One thing we do know is it is not a natural motion to pitch a baseball repeatedly at 90 MPH. Fact is, doctors have no way of determining, as of yet, what bodies can do that for 20 years and what ones cannot. Some people will be Nolan Ryan, others will be Mark Prior.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Anonymous player told Rosenthal they would be up 2-0 if they had Strasburg. Who knows if that is true but you can tell just from the comment players are probably pissed.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...ing-up-quotes/

D.C. talk radio guys accuse Ken Rosenthal of making up quotes

Craig Calcaterra

Oct 10, 2012, 11:40 AM EDT
    56 Comments

I linked Ken Rosenthal’s story from this morning in which he quotes an anonymous Nationals player saying that the Nats would be up 2-0 if they had Stephen Strasburg. A couple of people in the comments who don’t like anyone criticizing the Nats decision in this regard suggested that Rosenthal was simply making it up. Never mind that he’s one of the most respected reporters in the business.

But it’s not just the die hards in comment threads doing it. Two D.C. talk radio hosts had Rosenthal on the air this morning and they did it too:

And so it was that Rosenthal appeared on 106.7 The Fan’s Junkies program Wednesday morning, and was greeted by Eric Bickel, incredulously asking whether “one player on the Nats actually told you that this team would be 2-0 if Strasburg was there?”

“No, I just made that up,” Rosenthal replied.

There was some prickly back and forth, after which Bickel said “You’re kind of being a [jerk], to be honest with you,” Bickel said. “I don’t really understand why.” Some people on Twitter said that, rather than “jerk,” Bickel said “dick.” Rosenthal took the high road and explained in quite compelling terms, I believe, why it’s silly to accuse him of such a thing or of anti-Nationals bias in general.

I’m told by people who are familiar with the show that Bickel and The Fan’s Junkies is not exactly serious media so I guess it’s not terribly surprising that they’d do such a thing. But really, the fact that anyone would accuse Ken Rosenthal of making up quotes is simply unhinged.

Also unhinged: the degree to which fans in forums and now, apparently, radio hosts have gone to accuse anyone who writes or says things that don’t flatter their rooting interests as “biased,” and suggesting that it calls their factual assertions into question. Of course bias exists, but bias influences opinion for the most part. It does not necessarily call one’s factual reporting or analysis into question.

To the extent it does, it’s almost always more about not seeing the full picture or unconsciously tuning out data that doesn’t jibe with the bias. It does not, outside of the most abjectly partisan news outlets, lead to people actually fabricating things like quotes from whole cloth.

Load Metric
    the cardinals are a superior team

/thread

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMcFML View Post

/thread
    FREESE IS GOD

ALLEN CRAIG IS GOD

Matheny GOD

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by chinamaniac View Post

/thread
    FREESE IS GOD

ALLEN CRAIG IS GOD

Matheny GOD
    why stop there?

Beltran?

GOD

Holliday?

GOD

Jon Jay?

GOD

Chris Carpenter & Wainwright?

GOD

Bullpen?

GOD

Pete Kozma?

TODD (God)

Load Metric
    can't believe i forgot Yadi

God, obv

Load Metric

God, obv
    Better add Yankees Raul Ibanez to that list. Fucking 2 for 2 with 2 HRs to cost the Orioles their first loss all season after leading past the 7th inning. Yes it was a scary streak but it also had to happen sometime. I do have to ask the question though if Ibanez already burned ya once (he came in to replace A-Roid who hasnt played worth a shit all playoffs) why the hell didnt the Orioles consider walking him sure its the go-ahead/winning run but Ibanez was a bigger threat with the stick in his hand then on the bases. Bad bad call by Buck to say the least.

Load Metric

God, obv
    Better add Yankees Raul Ibanez to that list. Fucking 2 for 2 with 2 HRs to cost the Orioles their first loss all season after leading past the 7th inning. Yes it was a scary streak but it also had to happen sometime. I do have to ask the question though if Ibanez already burned ya once (he came in to replace A-Roid who hasnt played worth a shit all playoffs) why the hell didnt the Orioles consider walking him sure its the go-ahead/winning run but Ibanez was a bigger threat with the stick in his hand then on the bases. Bad bad call by Buck to say the least.
    ROFL. You're gonna put the leadoff batter who represents the winning run on base with no outs because he happened to HR in his last at bat? 40Steaks, is that you?
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Fraud View Post
    I do believe Iraq was a huge mistake
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Anal_Hershiser View Post

ROFL. You're gonna put the leadoff batter who represents the winning run on base with no outs because he happened to HR in his last at bat? 40Steaks, is that you?
    Ibanez has proven lately to be a bigger threat repeatedly Pinch Hitting period and him staying in the game I would much rather take my chances with him on base, and take the twig out of his hand then risk doing exactly what happened. Ill bet if Id said Cano, who would have been up next, there would be no argument since he's been hitting nearly .600 since just prior to the playoffs. Look at all the facts Anal before you jump up and down, is all Im asking. The guy did nearly the same thing 2 weeks ago against Boston (yes I know Boston sucked tailpipe this season but its not like the pitchers were playing slow pitch either). Ibanez has proven to be kryptonite to opposing pitchers repeatedly, and hes hardly a speedster on base, so Id much rather force a guy whos less of a threat to knock it out of the park then Ibanez hit. Whats the difference a loss is a loss be it from a solo shot from him or a 2 run homer by somebodyelse and maybe just maybe you get Cano to ground out because Matusz actually has been harder to hit by right handers contrary to the popular notion rightys hit better against left handed pitchers. I stand by my opinion that pitching at Ibanez was a mistake period.

Platinum
    Load Metric

Ibanez has proven lately to be a bigger threat repeatedly Pinch Hitting period and him staying in the game I would much rather take my chances with him on base, and take the twig out of his hand then risk doing exactly what happened. Ill bet if Id said Cano, who would have been up next, there would be no argument since he's been hitting nearly .600 since just prior to the playoffs. Look at all the facts Anal before you jump up and down, is all Im asking. The guy did nearly the same thing 2 weeks ago against Boston (yes I know Boston sucked tailpipe this season but its not like the pitchers were playing slow pitch either). Ibanez has proven to be kryptonite to opposing pitchers repeatedly, and hes hardly a speedster on base, so Id much rather force a guy whos less of a threat to knock it out of the park then Ibanez hit. Whats the difference a loss is a loss be it from a solo shot from him or a 2 run homer by somebodyelse and maybe just maybe you get Cano to ground out because Matusz actually has been harder to hit by right handers contrary to the popular notion rightys hit better against left handed pitchers. I stand by my opinion that pitching at Ibanez was a mistake period.
    There is a ZERO PIONT ZERO chance that ANY manager in the major leagues puts the winning run on base in extra innings. NONE. NADA. ZILCH.

Especially when lefties are hitting .172 of Matusz, the guy who was pitching.

Load Metric

It's easy to say that after we know he hit a GW HR. No manager. Not from LL to ML is gonna walk ANYBODY in that spot. Let alone a .240 hitter who didn't manage to hit even 20 HR's and didn't even start in the fucking game. No manager is gonna walk the leadoff batter with no outs in the bottom of the 12th. I can't believe someone is trying to argue otherwise.
    Vegas is there any chance I can buy you some steaks and mail them to you or something?
    Why the fuck is the world (cough US) allowing these backward fuckers have nukes.

Load Metric
    Can anyone post a situation where a manager has intentionally walked the leadoff batter? Not saying it has never happened. I'm genuinely curious as to whether it has ever happened and what the circumstances were. It certainly wasn't in the bottom of the 12th in a series tipping playoff game.

Ill bet if Id said Cano, who would have been up next, there would be no argument
    Yes. There would be. Because intentionally walking the leadoff batter is insane regardless of who the hitter is.

Load Metric
    Even if it's the reincarnation of Babe Ruth, you NEVER walk the lead off batter in extra innings, I don't care how hot they are. Even if the hitter is batting .400, he is still going to be an out 6 out of 10 times.

As far as Ibanez, I am a huge Phillies fan, so I know Raul... He is a streaky hitter, and there is no way in Hell anyone in their right mind walks him in that spot. Yeah, he is shit on the bases, that's why they have pinch runners.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by vegas1369 View Post
    Even if it's the reincarnation of Babe Ruth, you NEVER walk the lead off batter in extra innings, I don't care how hot they are. Even if the hitter is batting .400, he is still going to be an out 6 out of 10 times.

As far as Ibanez, I am a huge Phillies fan, so I know Raul... He is a streaky hitter, and there is no way in Hell anyone in their right mind walks him in that spot. Yeah, he is shit on the bases, that's why they have pinch runners.
    You never intentionally walk the leadoff batter. The heart of the Yankee lineup is right behind him which makes it even dumber.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric

If someone argues for intentionally walking the leadoff batter. Is called on it and still argues for it, there is one of two things going on:

A. They have less than an elementary understanding of the game. We're talking 5 year old girl knowledge. With the probability of the 5 year old laughing at them at some point.

B. The person has a mental handicap.

There is no other explanation.

Load Metric
    Gotta think a 6 run lead wouldn't have been blown tonight with Strasburg on the mound.

Epic fail in DC.

Load Metric
    Gotta think a 6 run lead wouldn't have been blown tonight with Strasburg on the mound.

Epic fail in DC.
    Agreed and then some. (See other thread I just started for my true venting. Fuck what a shitty night for the Greater DC Metro area.. First the Yankees put their foots down on the Orioles throats and then this epic fail with the bullpen wheels coming off)

Load Metric
    I've started to hate the Cardinals more than any MLB team besides Boston.

Fuck this 'scrappy', 'find a way to win' team.

Thread Information