Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CM Punk slugs spectator

Load Metric

CM Punk slugs spectator

http://deadspin.com/5950095/cm-punk-...robably-worked

Can someone please explain to me how something can be described as a "work", and also what is a "shoot"?

I hear these words used in this manner, which I have NEVER heard before, so I am assuming that a "work" is something that was staged for entertainment, and a "shoot" is when the person decides to give his commentary on something. Am I close?

<note: I had enough trouble figuring out what a "level" was four years ago...thought it was something I put up against the wall when I wanted to figure out where to hang a poster>

Load Metric
    A work is a storyline angle that is presented as real.

A shoot is a legitimate event that occurs during a scripted segment.

If done properly the best "worked" events seem like shoots.

Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    http://deadspin.com/5950095/cm-punk-...robably-worked

Can someone please explain to me how something can be described as a "work", and also what is a "shoot"?

I hear these words used in this manner, which I have NEVER heard before, so I am assuming that a "work" is something that was staged for entertainment, and a "shoot" is when the person decides to give his commentary on something. Am I close?

<note: I had enough trouble figuring out what a "level" was four years ago...thought it was something I put up against the wall when I wanted to figure out where to hang a poster>
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    Here is an example of a shoot. This bozo decides that he is going to no-sell Antonio Inoki. Watch what happens.
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    thanks LLL

Is it me, or are those two terms used in just Wrestling? I have never heard them used this way, and then all of a sudden, people are doing "shoots" (especially Canadian DJ's with joints in their hands). Is it just recently when people have used work and shoots like this?

Load Metric
    thanks LLL

Is it me, or are those two terms used in just Wrestling? I have never heard them used this way, and then all of a sudden, people are doing "shoots" (especially Canadian DJ's with joints in their hands). Is it just recently when people have used work and shoots like this?
    Originated and used in pro-wrestling. Although I'm sure the term "shoot-fighter" was an influence. All of Chaps' "shoots" are extra funny if you have an understanding/appreciation of pro-wrestling.

Load Metric
    OK, again, I suck. What do you mean by "no-sell"?

I (painfully) watched the video, and then at the point where Razor started hitting the Japanese guy in the back (where it didnt look fake), the Jap dude then slapped him hard and kicked him in the head until he probably actually bled.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    Here is an example of a shoot. This bozo decides that he is going to no-sell Antonio Inoki. Watch what happens.
    anymore vids along these lines, that was terrific!

Load Metric
    OK, again, I suck. What do you mean by "no-sell"?

I (painfully) watched the video, and then at the point where Razor started hitting the Japanese guy in the back (where it didnt look fake), the Jap dude then slapped him hard and kicked him in the head until he probably actually bled.
    No-selling is basically not reacting to a move. You can also over-sell much like Shawn Michaels did in this match against Hogan.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by peter mcneil View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL View Post
    anymore vids along these lines, that was terrific!
    That is really the best that I've seen. There are others but I'd have to think about it.

Here are 2 great ones involving journalists.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Can't believe this is still on YouTube in it's entirety.

CM Punk: Best In The World 2012 - Full Documentary

Was LOL when I saw that Lars Frederiksen is besties with Punk and appears throughout the documentary.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    he hit the wrong guy lol

Load Metric
    I'm not a wrestling fan, but I read cracked daily, these two articles may help Drk understand what they are talking about....

http://www.cracked.com/article_20006...-too-real.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_20029...character.html

Load Metric
    thanks LLL

I dunno but I hardly call DJ Chaps infamous video on webcam smoking a blunt as a shoot. Was more like just some guy doing a vlog posting while he was baked.

Nova Scotia's #1 Party Rocker!!!!11 DJ_Chaps's Avatar
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    thanks LLL

I dunno but I hardly call DJ Chaps infamous video on webcam smoking a blunt as a shoot. Was more like just some guy doing a vlog posting while he was baked.

So, you don't know what a shoot is. Got it.

Load Metric
    Thanks guys!

Actually, I used to watch wrestling 30 years ago. I was front row for an event at UIC Pavillion in Chicago, that by todays standards, made no sense, due to the people involved.

I saw Hulk Hogan lose to George the Animal Steele, but on the same card, was Baron Von Raschke and Ivan Putski, who were from the AWA. Kabuki was there, along with the Wild Samoans (got spit on by them and their "loose teeth" hit me), Kamala the Ugandan Giant was there as well. It was essentially wrestlers from 3 different leagues, which I never remember seeing again on tv.

Load Metric
    Thanks guys!

Actually, I used to watch wrestling 30 years ago. I was front row for an event at UIC Pavillion in Chicago, that by todays standards, made no sense, due to the people involved.

I saw Hulk Hogan lose to George the Animal Steele, but on the same card, was Baron Von Raschke and Ivan Putski, who were from the AWA. Kabuki was there, along with the Wild Samoans (got spit on by them and their "loose teeth" hit me), Kamala the Ugandan Giant was there as well. It was essentially wrestlers from 3 different leagues, which I never remember seeing again on tv.
    That was right before Vince came in and pretty much destroyed territories. At the time the NWA would share talent. It was a true alliance of indy promoters. It is kind of sad that it happened but without Vince doing what he did pro-wrestling wouldn't have become nearly as big as it did.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Just going by what I saw in the clip obv it definitely don't look scripted but more of an impromptu, heat of the moment mistake.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Just going by what I saw in the clip obv it definitely don't look scripted but more of an impromptu, heat of the moment mistake.
    Got the wrong guy too.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerAndPoker View Post
    Got the wrong guy too.

Hmm, now I'm not sure from actually watching the slowmo perhaps the guy taps Punk to give the signal when to throw the back arm. I think I'll have to retract my first comment and think they are just playing it off like it was legit but how likely is it this "fan" puts his glasses on the same time Punk swings at him?

Thread Information