Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Love Animals (More than People)

Load Metric

Why I Love Animals (More than People)

I've always been crazy about animals - not just the fluffy little cute ones, but the wild ones, the reptiles, the weird, scary ones. Let's face it, animals provide hours of entertainment and they are amazing to interact with. But when I was adopted by my first dog, I reached a whole new plateau of animal adoration. My daughter was 5 when she started asking for a puppy. I had always been a cat person, simply by virtue of the fact that my mom always had a cat or two in the house when I was growing up. I love their beautiful eyes, the soft song of their purr, and the way they arch their bodies in absolute pleasure when you scritch their ears or pet them. I found excuses not to get the puppy until my little one was 6, but then I gave in. Miki Tikanni ("Little Wolf" in Eskimo) came home and joined our family. She was a miniature American Eskimo puppy, and at 9 weeks, the size of a baby bunny. This dog immediately stole my heart, and it wasn't long before we had forged some sort of inexplicable soul-bond.

Miki was undeniably my best friend and she made me happy every day. She would play and romp and make me laugh till my sides hurt, and then she'd jump up on the bed and cuddle up much like a cat. She always seemed to sense my mood, and knew when I needed cheering up. She was with me through good times and bad, and I became attached to her more than I have ever been to a feline. She was super smart too - she knew over 100 words and commands, and myriad tricks, even with the minimal training she received.

Losing Miki was truly a soul crushing experience. At age 5, she contracted a rare and unexplained disease called IMHA,
    Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia) also known as auto-immune mediated hemolytic anemia. It's a disease in which the body's immune system, which is designed to attack and kill germs, attacks and kills the body's own red blood cells instead. No one knows why dogs get it, although there are theories. She literally wasted away over a weekend, I rushed her to the hospital, and ended up watching her die, her body convusling violently in my hands. My heart was in shreds and I had nightmares every night after. My husband and daughter kept pushing me to get another dog, but I was not ready for some time. I was just so shook up.

Finally, I gave in and Sasha-Bear came to live with us.

Like most people, I fell in love with the breed I knew, so Sasha is an American Eskimo. She is quite funny and quirky - we call her our little lesbian dog because she likes to hump legs as if she were a boy. I also rescued Maggie-Moo a year later, and the two girls are my constant companions now. They do not of course replace my Miki - no one could. But they make me very happy.

I honestly don't know how anyone doesn't adopt a dog. I can tell you that dogs make your life better. They love you unconditionally, provide hours of entertainment, snuggle and cuddle you just when you need it, and force you to get off your lazy ass and get out and walk or hike. They make a house a home. If I could, I'd have three more. Dogs don't argue with you when they're in a shitty mood. They don't lie to you, cheat on you, or give you the cold shoulder. They are ALWAYS overjoyed to see you. Always. If you treat them right, they will fill your life with sunshine, laughter and companionship in a way that no human can.

Cats are cool too, and we have one in the neighborhood who seems to have latched on to us. She doesn't care for our puppies much, but she comes in at night through the doggie door and sleeps with my daugher, then demands food in the morning. She is pretty damn cute, and has never gone to the bathroom inside the house, so as far as I'm concerned, she can stay. I'll be trying to bring her along when we move.

There are always a bunch of animals needing to be rescued at your local shelter. This is a plug - go get one and bring him home. You'll be glad you did. It's even worth the heartbreak when you lose them. It's worth opening your heart.
    Last edited by Vwls; 03-15-2012 at 08:16 PM.
    ´*•.¸(*•.¸https://twitter.com/RealFckVwls¸.•*´)¸.•*´

http://i.imgur.com/TsBfg.jpg

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Love this dog more than life itself.

Name:  4891529659_7b67757781_s.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  26.8 KBName:  4891730429_58d5aa9534_s.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  55.5 KBName:  4892324910_b5f3580209_s.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  46.0 KBName:  4891885435_4df260383b_s.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  3.5 KBName:  4892485852_4cb7993c07_s.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  3.9 KB

How the fuck you make the pictures so big, these don't do him justice.

I do love dogs and bond with them very quickly.

Here's my 2 year old little man.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    i done had a job onced - at tyson chicken in blountsville AL - i stayed for 6 years and done a good job hand cleaning them critters - then one day i done had liver failed colapsed - couldnt work none for 5 months - during that time i was so broke i done lived off dog food cause tyson done had a weird clawse saying i was alkeholic and no insured me - so i done ate the dog food and got better - i go back and they wont give me me old job back or a new one - i go home - a few months later i am eating dog food and i done caught a flyer from the blountsville baptist church - it done had a story in it about a miracle - how a goldon retrever done been riscued by a family - but the dog done had cancer and it was gone die - but it did not die cause it got a $119000 surgery done by the doctors - 119 thousand 4.3 years of my old salry - and the article done gone on to claim that the miracle was donated by a member of tyson family - i done cried for many days - after i quit cried i done started wining in life - i dont eat no more dog food but i aint scared to - i will always love any person more than any animal - slim t

Load Metric
    We have a dog and 2 cats--they're more important to us than most anything--people included. Non-animal lovers would never understand.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Angel I <3 you for starting this awesome thread.

Winnie
    : The Early Years

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Love this dog more than life itself.

Name:  4891529659_7b67757781_s.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  26.8 KBName:  4891730429_58d5aa9534_s.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  55.5 KBName:  4892324910_b5f3580209_s.jpg
Views: 678
Size:  46.0 KBName:  4891885435_4df260383b_s.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  3.5 KBName:  4892485852_4cb7993c07_s.jpg
Views: 697
Size:  3.9 KB

How the fuck you make the pictures so big, these don't do him justice.
    Instead of attaching your pic, upload it to an image repository like Imgur or Photobucket - then post the link between image tags. Would love to see more of your beast.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cleatus View Post
    I love animals more than people because they are not people. I remember when you got Maggie, how is she. Looks a little heavy.
    Yes sir - she was heavy when we brought her home. She'd had an unsettling life, and possibly some abuse. They had definitely overfed her. When she first arrived, her little paws were bright pink from chewing - she still exhibits "allergic" behaviors with no explantion - most likely from emotional trauma. But she has lost a lot of weight and is doing much better with the self-chewing. I give her a lot of love to remind her daily that everything's alright now.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardBrodiesCombover. View Post
    I do love dogs and bond with them very quickly.

Here's my 2 year old little man.

OMG what a cutie pie.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
    i done had a job onced - at tyson chicken in blountsville AL - i stayed for 6 years and done a good job hand cleaning them critters - then one day i done had liver failed colapsed - couldnt work none for 5 months - during that time i was so broke i done lived off dog food cause tyson done had a weird clawse saying i was alkeholic and no insured me - so i done ate the dog food and got better - i go back and they wont give me me old job back or a new one - i go home - a few months later i am eating dog food and i done caught a flyer from the blountsville baptist church - it done had a story in it about a miracle - how a goldon retrever done been riscued by a family - but the dog done had cancer and it was gone die - but it did not die cause it got a $119000 surgery done by the doctors - 119 thousand 4.3 years of my old salry - and the article done gone on to claim that the miracle was donated by a member of tyson family - i done cried for many days - after i quit cried i done started wining in life - i dont eat no more dog food but i aint scared to - i will always love any person more than any animal - slim t
    :HOF

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by GOD View Post
    Angel I <3 you for starting this awesome thread.

Winnie
    : The Early Years

Absolutely adorable.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    i give up
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by NaturalBornHustler; 03-15-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Load Metric
    LOL at the 1st cute pic of smiling sasha-bear!

my buddy & his pal

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Test

where are the image tags?

LOL I am so clueless about computers.
    Just use the little icon that looks like a picture.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by XteraveX View Post
    LOL at the 1st cute pic of smiling sasha-bear!

my buddy & his pal

Aww so cute!

Yeah she was always a funny little puppy... loved to get dirty and jump in water. She used to empty out her water bowl splashing and playing in it, then run outside and roll in the dirt. She's grown out of it now, but she still likes digging and stinky thiings. She's a real DOG's dog.

Banned
    Load Metric
    It was a bleak, wet, and ice-cold Winter day in December of 2003 and I was depressed about being in a job I hated with a passion.

I guess it was a Saturday or a Sunday and I opted for some alcohol to pass the idle time with nothing to do than play PS2 and get stoned

I threw some sweats and a windbreaker on and jumped in my 325i to take the short trip to the Shell station across from the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento.

I parked in front of the store, climbed out, and started walking towards the entry, when I couldn't help but notice 3 of the rattiest looking homeless people you can imagine all huddled around a 1/2 full shopping cart in front of the entrance

I kept walking toward the entrance and noticed in the front of their cart this shivering and miserable 6-8 week old puppy covered under a wet blanket with the saddest look in her eyes. I could tell she was a female instantly.

I just stopped in my tracks and started asking these poor guys about their puppy. What kind of breed was she ? They were rather vague and started saying she was a purebred Ridegback and wanted $400.00 for her. lol I just laughed and said come on you guys can't be serious. I'll give you 40 bucks for her and buy you a nice 12 pack of Bud

they jumped all over the deal of course. We made the swap and I gathered her soaking wet and shivering little 8 pound body into my car and handed them their 12-pack and two 20 dollar bills and we said our goodbyes. I doubt my new pup missed their caretakers too much. She didn't seem to mind me taking her away from them.

We got back to my 'no pets allowed' apartment near Cal Expo and she was scared and didn't trust me. Pretty obvious that she was traumatized from her turbulent first weeks of life and didn't know what to do. We both sat there on the carpet for hours just sitting together as I tried to forge a bond.

It occurred to me that she was probably malnourished, because homeless people typically aren't that savvy when it comes to pet care. So I put her up on my bed with a pillow and headed over to Petco.

I must have spent over 200 bucks on a nice new bed and some puppy food and toys and all kinds of other puppy stuff. But I started to realize that I had just made a huge commitment to this cute little homeless wonder. She was all by herself and probably missing her mother and barely done weaning. I can imagine how freaked out she was

So I get home from Petco (this is about 3 hours after taking her from the homeless guys) and set up her little 75 dollar sheepskin puppy bed and make her a bowl of wet/dry food and just layed face-down on my carpet and waited.

she had been parked in a corner of my apartment scared to death, literally shivering. Not from the cold, but from the uncertainty of who I was and why she had been moved from her shopping cart and wet blanket in front of a Shell station to this confusing new place.

So we both sat there for at least an hour. I was on my stomach with my face close to hers, letting her know she could trust me and that she had a warm bed and some food to eat. But she was stubborn

I drifted off while laying on the carpet next to her bowl of food I set out, and she actually woke me up licking on my ear after she had devoured this huge bowl of puppy chow.

that was the most amazing feeling bonding with her. That moment where she realized I was going to take care of her and she trusted me after being in such a state of shock in this terrible environment

Adopting Winnie is one of the best choices I've ever made in my life. It's been a HUGE trade off and I have sacrificed a lot of my own freedom by raising her and keeping her for almost 9 years now, but it's been worth it. She is a beautiful animal with a great demeanor and loves to play and explore and I'm blessed to have her in my life.

Load Metric
    It was a bleak, wet, and ice-cold Winter day in December of 2003 and I was depressed about being in a job I hated with a passion.

I guess it was a Saturday or a Sunday and I opted for some alcohol to pass the idle time with nothing to do than play PS2 and get stoned

I threw some sweats and a windbreaker on and jumped in my 325i to take the short trip to the Shell station across from the Arden Fair Mall in Sacramento.

I parked in front of the store, climbed out, and started walking towards the entry, when I couldn't help but notice 3 of the rattiest looking homeless people you can imagine all huddled around a 1/2 full shopping cart in front of the entrance

I kept walking toward the entrance and noticed in the front of their cart this shivering and miserable 6-8 week old puppy covered under a wet blanket with the saddest look in her eyes. I could tell she was a female instantly.

I just stopped in my tracks and started asking these poor guys about their puppy. What kind of breed was she ? They were rather vague and started saying she was a purebred Ridegback and wanted $400.00 for her. lol I just laughed and said come on you guys can't be serious. I'll give you 40 bucks for her and buy you a nice 12 pack of Bud

they jumped all over the deal of course. We made the swap and I gathered her soaking wet and shivering little 8 pound body into my car and handed them their 12-pack and two 20 dollar bills and we said our goodbyes. I doubt my new pup missed their caretakers too much. She didn't seem to mind me taking her away from them.

We got back to my 'no pets allowed' apartment near Cal Expo and she was scared and didn't trust me. Pretty obvious that she was traumatized from her turbulent first weeks of life and didn't know what to do. We both sat there on the carpet for hours just sitting together as I tried to forge a bond.

It occurred to me that she was probably malnourished, because homeless people typically aren't that savvy when it comes to pet care. So I put her up on my bed with a pillow and headed over to Petco.

I must have spent over 200 bucks on a nice new bed and some puppy food and toys and all kinds of other puppy stuff. But I started to realize that I had just made a huge commitment to this cute little homeless wonder. She was all by herself and probably missing her mother and barely done weaning. I can imagine how freaked out she was

So I get home from Petco (this is about 3 hours after taking her from the homeless guys) and set up her little 75 dollar sheepskin puppy bed and make her a bowl of wet/dry food and just layed face-down on my carpet and waited.

she had been parked in a corner of my apartment scared to death, literally shivering. Not from the cold, but from the uncertainty of who I was and why she had been moved from her shopping cart and wet blanket in front of a Shell station to this confusing new place.

So we both sat there for at least an hour. I was on my stomach with my face close to hers, letting her know she could trust me and that she had a warm bed and some food to eat. But she was stubborn

I drifted off while laying on the carpet next to her bowl of food I set out, and she actually woke me up licking on my ear after she had devoured this huge bowl of puppy chow.

that was the most amazing feeling bonding with her. That moment where she realized I was going to take care of her and she trusted me after being in such a state of shock in this terrible environment

Adopting Winnie is one of the best choices I've ever made in my life. It's been a HUGE trade off and I have sacrificed a lot of my own freedom by raising her and keeping her for almost 9 years now, but it's been worth it. She is a beautiful animal with a great demeanor and loves to play and explore and I'm blessed to have her in my life.

A great post. So glad you and Winnie found each other.

Please remember folks that when you bring one of these fantastic creatures into your life, they do require care and some expense. Feed them good quality foods, read up on proper training and nutrition information, and put them first. You will never make an investment as good as adopting an animal - I promise you this.

Banned
    Load Metric
    knock on wood I have never had to take Winnie to the vet since she was spayed and got all her puppy shots

I always buy her the premium pet food and mix it with a 1/2 can of wet food.

Obviously she chows down on french fries with me and gets her own single burger (no pickles) when I hit In and Out Burger

This morning I noticed I had some leftover ground beef I made a few days ago for chili and mixed it in with her dry food and she went to town on it

I don't like to feed her big bones because she eats them too fast. She literally EATS massive rib bones and swallows them whole because she is a huge pig.

When I make chicken I will actually hold the bones in my hand and force her to nibble off of it so she doesn't swallow a whole fucking breast bone in one gulp. Winnie is a walking stomach.

She is protective of her food now because I kind of taught her to growl when I feed her ( I know I know that is not good ) But she lunched once at me after I fed her a big ham hock and I thought it was hilarious.

Now I think she growls when I feed her because she thinks I want her to

I want to add that a lot of dog owners are really intent on 'training' their puppies to be obedient and well mannered.

When I was a kid, my dad had an Australian sheep dog named 'G1ACOMO' who was all natural. never on a leash. no training whatsoever. I always liked that about how my dad raised him. I never wanted Winnie to be this treat-trained robot animal.

Over the last 8 years or so she has been all over the West coast. In Sacramento and L.A. and Vegas and making roadies with me all the way up the coast. She is a spoiled dog to say the least, and always eats well, sleeps inside and gets nothing but 5 star service.

here she is Hollywooding it up at breakfastime

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Vwls View Post
    I've always been crazy

Load Metric

No offense but just how much time have you been devoting to the internet lately bro? Seems a LOT more than usual. You do realize this can only lead to anger and depression correct? Going by past events and all, the longer you are online every day the more depressed you are at the time and the more you procrastinate getting some healing time in with Winnie the harder you are going to crash when you finally deal with whatever is bothering you.

Just my .02$

Thread Information