Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shohei Ohtani's assistant/interpreter fired for supposedly stealing $4.5m to gamble with illegal bookmaker

Gold
    Load Metric
    In case there was any question about the Ohtani situation, i was speaking to someone very connected to the So Cal sports betting scene, and he confirmed Ohtani is a big soccer betting whale, and it’s a very open secret. And as far as he knows there was no baseball bets. And the interpreter is falling on the sword for him.

Comments

tigerpiper: solid rumor

Sanlmar: beautiful

Dan Druff:

Jayjami: Yep

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalam View Post
    In case there was any question about the Ohtani situation, i was speaking to someone very connected to the So Cal sports betting scene, and he confirmed Ohtani is a big soccer betting whale, and it’s a very open secret. And as far as he knows there was no baseball bets. And the interpreter is falling on the sword for him.

just saw another thread for this, so Druff feel free to move this.
    We will monitor this. The more i think about this story the more questions i have.

I heard Ippei played poker in SoCal and that is how he met the bookie. Druff prolly played with these guys - or wishes he did.

There is no way these two life-long best buddies, Ippei & Shohei, didn’t have shared interests.

As desperately as MLB will want to bury this …. I dunno. Of course, anywhere but California this is a non story.

Unless degen Ippei bet Angels or Dodgers. Here’s a guy who at one time was behind $4.5m and he isn’t gonna be at least a little bit apt to use an advantage to relieve the pressure.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

just saw another thread for this, so Druff feel free to move this.
    We will monitor this. The more i think about this story the more questions i have.

I heard Ippei played poker in SoCal and that is how he met the bookie. Druff prolly played with these guys - or wishes he did.

There is no way these two life-long best buddies, Ippei & Shohei, didn’t have shared interests.

As desperately as MLB will want to bury this …. I dunno. Of course, anywhere but California this is a non story.

Unless degen Ippei bet Angels or Dodgers. Here’s a guy who at one time was behind $4.5m and he isn’t gonna be at least a little bit apt to use an advantage to relieve the pressure.
    I was starting to lean towards Ippei being the beard before that Kalam post.

Maybe me being naive about the big-dollar bookie scene, but now would Ippei get such a high credit line without Shohei, at the very least, backing him?

Load Metric
    Trying to imagine the furious proposals and deal making occurring between the bookie, FBI, MLB, Dodgers, Ippei & the Ohtani camp

They gotta give the bookie a reason not to sing later.

Talk about high stakes

Lol, Ohtani plays soccer for a year

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The more I think about this, the more it really does look like a bearding situation.

If Shohei is a soccer degen like Kalam says, and he lives in CA with no legal betting options, using Ippei makes sense. It’s only surprising they didn’t have a coherent excuse prepared in case this got out. Maybe he figured if he didn’t bet baseball, his penalties would be minimal at worst.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

I was starting to lean towards Ippei being the beard before that Kalam post.

Maybe me being naive about the big-dollar bookie scene, but now would Ippei get such a high credit line without Shohei, at the very least, backing him?

Load Metric
    Andrew Friedman struttin’ his stuff like he’s #1 two weeks ago but he’s a ghost now. Friedman is letting Dave Roberts take the blows publicly. This story is beyond Deputy Dave’s pay grade. This isn’t on the field bizness

Some shameless shit by Andrew.

The billion dollar investment between Yamamoto and Ohtani is on fire and crickets

This has an aroma reminiscent of Puig from a Dodger PR standpoint. Not the human trafficking but Puig’s gambling.

Dodgers consistently deliver top shelf scandals.

Comments

Sheesfaced:

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    The more I think about this, the more it really does look like a bearding situation.

If Shohei is a soccer degen like Kalam says, and he lives in CA with no legal betting options, using Ippei makes sense. It’s only surprising they didn’t have a coherent excuse prepared in case this got out. Maybe he figured if he didn’t bet baseball, his penalties would be minimal at worst.
    Even if it was legal, would non baseball sports betting be permitted under his MLB contract? I assume no, but have no clue. Also, I dont think he payed through Ippei. The money was being payed directly out of his accounts. That is why they had to make up the whole "Ippei stole the money" angle, which still makes no sense.

Also, I think you might not appreciate how 'in the open' all of this is, and 99.9% of the time no one cares and no authorities ever get involved. Pretty similar to the prostitution in Asian massage parlors. Most bookies generally accept and pay out through Zelle or Venmo, which the FBI could easily track if they cared, but they generally dont.

Looks like probably because he was booking action with Ohtani, who obviously is betting WAY BIGGER than guys like me and Druff, and so much money was flowing into the accounts, the FBI took notice. The bookie may have also been involved in some other shady stuff, and discovering he was receiving money from Ohtani and it getting leaked to the media during the investigation was just bad luck on Ohtani's part.

Load Metric
    Ohtani now can’t speak to the press because he doesn’t have an interpreter.

Lol

Gold
    Load Metric
    Amazing he wired that type of money from his personal account

Big mistake

Load Metric
    LOL at California not allowing online sports betting. Here is a state that wants to force failed EV vehicles on everyone, but won't allow a grown adult to place a bet on a game like 40+ other states.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    LOL at California not allowing online sports betting. Here is a state that wants to force failed EV vehicles on everyone, but won't allow a grown adult to place a bet on a game like 40+ other states.
    There is the whole Indian tribe thing but more importantly Vegas is now a LA suburb like never before so legalization ain’t never gonna happen if i understand money and politics correctly.

But yes, Ohtani’s gambling might never surface if he wasn’t in Cali.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Lol
    He cannot lie to the Feds. Thats serious stuff even the MLB can’t manage. Better to zip it.

But yeah, lol

Load Metric

It's always surprising when the user rich have such dumb schemes happen. He could have covered his tracks in any number of ways.

Like when Peyton Manning's wife was getting prescribed HGH or a baseball player got caught with steroids in a stupid way.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Even if it was legal, would non baseball sports betting be permitted under his MLB contract? I assume no, but have no clue. Also, I dont think he payed through Ippei. The money was being payed directly out of his accounts. That is why they had to make up the whole "Ippei stole the money" angle, which still makes no sense.

Also, I think you might not appreciate how 'in the open' all of this is, and 99.9% of the time no one cares and no authorities ever get involved. Pretty similar to the prostitution in Asian massage parlors. Most bookies generally accept and pay out through Zelle or Venmo, which the FBI could easily track if they cared, but they generally dont.

Looks like probably because he was booking action with Ohtani, who obviously is betting WAY BIGGER than guys like me and Druff, and so much money was flowing into the accounts, the FBI took notice. The bookie may have also been involved in some other shady stuff, and discovering he was receiving money from Ohtani and it getting leaked to the media during the investigation was just bad luck on Ohtani's part.
    MLB allows non-baseball sportsbetting, but only via licensed and regulated books.

As you know, there is no way to legally sportsbet in California.

This left Ohtani needing a beard to do his betting if he so desired, as he spends most of his time in California.

I liked the people asking, "Why didn't he just go to Vegas to do it?"

Yeah, as if he'll just hop on a plane from LA to Vegas every time he wants to place a sportsbet during the MLB season. They don't understand how regular gamblers operate. Betting a few times a year while in Vegas isn't gonna cut it.

The bookie was already in the process of being busted, and they were going over the evidence. It was found that Ohtani send those big wires, and it blew up from there.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Lol
    He cannot lie to the Feds. Thats serious stuff even the MLB can’t manage. Better to zip it.

But yeah, lol

Puig is in trouble for lying to the feds about a bookie. Not just any bookie, but Wayne Nix, who is associated with the guy who just got busted in relation to Ohtani.

And Wayne Nix is the same bookie who blew a bunch of $$ at MGM Grand when then-CEO Scott Sibella was there, and knowingly let it happen, despite knowing the dude was an illegal bookie. And then Sibella got charged and fired from his new job at Resorts World.

All connects here.

But yeah if you are being questioned by the feds about something where you won't get charged yourself, the dumbest thing you can do is lie. The feds often have all the goods before they question you.

Load Metric

MLB allows non-baseball sportsbetting, but only via licensed and regulated books.

As you know, there is no way to legally sportsbet in California.

This left Ohtani needing a beard to do his betting if he so desired, as he spends most of his time in California.

I liked the people asking, "Why didn't he just go to Vegas to do it?"

Yeah, as if he'll just hop on a plane from LA to Vegas every time he wants to place a sportsbet during the MLB season. They don't understand how regular gamblers operate. Betting a few times a year while in Vegas isn't gonna cut it.

The bookie was already in the process of being busted, and they were going over the evidence. It was found that Ohtani send those big wires, and it blew up from there.
    Excellent thoughts

A person like Shoehei, Kalam or myself bets for entertainment. It’s a regular diversion.

If you travel a great deal regulated sports books are of next to no use to you. If you signed up in Nevada you can’t use that account in Massachussets or any other state.

Illegal or off shore books suit you much better.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    There's one other possibility which hasn't really been discussed.

Ippei might have lied to the bookie about whose bets these were.

Picture Ippei having a gambling problem, going to a bookie he met through sports circles, and claiming he's placing secret bets for Ohtani. Knowing the dude is Ohtani's close friend and interpreter, the bookie would figure the guy has to be telling the truth. It's not like some random approaching and saying, "Give me a huge credit line because I am doing it for Shohei Ohtani."

So then Ippei chunks off $4.5m and the bookie wants his money. At this point Ippei has to go to Ohtani, but instead of admitting he lied to the bookie that these were Ohtani's bets, he just says that he got in over his head and racked up a gigantic gambling debt. Ohtain is annoyed, but since he can easily afford the $4.5m and likes Ippei so much, he pays it off and lets Ippei reimburse him later -- much like how I've bailed out Master Scalir from stupid shit he's done in the past.

Then Ohtani gets over his annoyance and maintains his friendship with Ippei, only to find out a few days ago that Ippei lied to the bookie to get the credit in the first place, claiming it was a bearding situation. This infuriates Ohtani, who then changes the story to this being a "massive theft", to where he's no longer feeling bad about throwing Ippei under the bus.

Comments

Sanlmar: Trying to imagine a life where $4.5m is an annoyance

Gold
    Load Metric

Picture Ippei having a gambling problem, going to a bookie he met through sports circles, and claiming he's placing secret bets for Ohtani. Knowing the dude is Ohtani's close friend and interpreter, the bookie would figure the guy has to be telling the truth. It's not like some random approaching and saying, "Give me a huge credit line because I am doing it for Shohei Ohtani."

So then Ippei chunks off $4.5m and the bookie wants his money. At this point Ippei has to go to Ohtani, but instead of admitting he lied to the bookie that these were Ohtani's bets, he just says that he got in over his head and racked up a gigantic gambling debt. Ohtain is annoyed, but since he can easily afford the $4.5m and likes Ippei so much, he pays it off and lets Ippei reimburse him later -- much like how I've bailed out Master Scalir from stupid shit he's done in the past.

Then Ohtani gets over his annoyance and maintains his friendship with Ippei, only to find out a few days ago that Ippei lied to the bookie to get the credit in the first place, claiming it was a bearding situation. This infuriates Ohtani, who then changes the story to this being a "massive theft", to where he's no longer feeling bad about throwing Ippei under the bus.
    I mean if you want to entertain this for your own amusement that is fine. But if you ask anyone in Orange County connected to the illegal sports betting scene they will tell you the simplest explanation is the correct one; and that is Ohtani is just a soccer sports betting whale, which came to light because of a FBI investigation into his bookie that got leaked to the press, and now everyone is in spin control.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I mean if you want to entertain this for your own amusement that is fine. But if you ask anyone in Orange County connected to the illegal sports betting scene they will tell you the simplest explanation is the correct one; and that is Ohtani is just a soccer sports betting whale, which came to light because of a FBI investigation into his bookie that got leaked to the press, and now everyone is in spin control.
    That is very possible.

I will ask you about your source's statement, though:

Have the confirmed that Ohtani himself was betting on these games, or just that someone bearding for him SAID it was for Ohtani. Because you can see how the latter can lead to misunderstandings, if the supposed beard is really just a degen himself.

I still think it is more likely this was done on Ohtani's behalf, but I do think my scenario is a possibility. It does not seem that Ohtani ever had direct contact with the bookie, except perhaps to pay off the debt.

Thread Information