Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Biden and Inflation is going to crush him in 2024

Load Metric
    "I wouldn't be Ben Shapiro if I didn't put my balls in Mr Feeny's ass." - Ben Shapiro
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Honestly I had Trump at like 4-1 a month ago. Feels like he’s 9/5 favorite now.

To me, the GOP/conservative media/Trump had a very bad month.

Nothing major, but like 5 things that are small, but it almost feels like no one is really plugged in heavily to one source every night like the old days, and sometimes a bunch of small shit hits different groups and can make up a percent or two.

The Alabama SC ruling. They immediately saw how much trouble it was and did their best to run away from it, but it happened.

Tucker/Putin interview.
    This didn’t play well. Just all of it. Putin mocking him during interview, mocking him after.

It only matters because disliking Ukraine War, being Putin fanboys, being Tucker fanboys are the largely the same group. Not all, but mostly the same group. Anything that splinters a group is a loss.

I thought they misplayed the SOTU big time and in 3 ways that night.

Setting the lowest of expectations of Biden. Dems used to do this with Trump. Make him out to be such a crazy man that if he stayed anywhere near the script, he seemed presidential. Biden not falling asleep and yelling a little bit became a win when you paint a guy as full on Weekend at Bernies. You couldn’t shoot up Bernie with some stimulant.

That Britt response was just beyond bad. Weeks of blaming each other, girl set up a gofundme, etc. Just a huge fail with everyone playing the blame game still weeks later.

Easily the worst though.

Trump being Trump and posting that truth social post wanting credit for the vaccine. It’s like he has no idea how large a percentage of his voters are still obsessed with nonsensical vaccine injury theories and other assorted nonsense.

Worst part is he quoted Biden, but his part of the statement on it was essentially saying he jammed it through regulations. There isn't really a way to spin that.

That’s the entire crux of the anti-vaxxer movement. That it should have went through trials. He says he got though in 9 months what Biden would have taken 12 years to get through. That means it would be 8 years away now.

In other words, Biden would have been more cautious and he fast tracked it. He doesn’t grasp his loons have been arguing about this for years now, obsessed, and always placed blame on Biden. He’s announcing he wants credit for rushing it.

Horrible mistake. This is the one I’ve heard multiple Trump people bitch about the last week. Particularly dangerous when you have a true blue vaccine nutter in RFK running. He’s the OG anti-vaxxer, so if you really believe random quacks and all that antivax nonsense and it’s truly your cause, you now really only have one choice.

If you believe Trump, he should be target 1 of your ire. He rushed it. Biden wouldn’t have according to him. And RFK would have never considered it. He still arguing thimerosal and autism like it’s 2002.

Alex Jones lost his mind at Trump, but more importantly, I saw real people lose their shit. They aren’t going to become Biden voters, but a few might go RFK.

He basically said the J in Donald J Trump is for jab. That isn’t going away.

Nothing horrific as a bunch of minor issues, but these states get decided by a few thousand votes and there is a 3rd party running. Now add in Shapiro going after SS.

Everything was trending his way until the last month. I still think he wins, but the GOP isn’t playing well atm and the Dems have over-performed every poll considerably since the Roe decision. Across the map everywhere including red states.

I’d just be on message of inflation all day long, but they have a lot of erratic individuals with a national platform. They had a bad month and made some true unforced errors.

Comments

Dan Druff:

Sanlmar: + contributing

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by some user View Post
    “The federal government was in fact established in order to provide for the common defense and security of the United St*tes. That is the number one task of the federal government. And yet the federal government is actually under funding defense at this point." - Ben Shapiro
    Meddling in Haiti is not an example of defense.

We just increased defense spending $100b. Shapiro appears to be a hack if this is indeed an accurate quote.

He embarrasses the right wing but then civil war and all that.

Load Metric
    @BCR

Don’t place a bet until you know who the listed pitchers are.

Comments

BCR: True. In NBA, it’s until they get done with shoot around and actually take the court.

Load Metric
    Druff made reference to Shapiro getting rich off of political commentary.

Political infotainment is a bizarrely bloated asset class.

Random association has me thinking of comedian Jimmy Dore. Transitions to politics on the daily and he does very well for himself.

The Don Lemon chronicals. Sure he failed in his ridiculous demands but he is in the neighborhood. Wrong guy for that purse but it’s conceivable.

People take comfort in being told their views are correct and having their self worth affirmed every day. All these personalities preach to the converted. These are not thought leaders. It’s feel good entertainment and it pays good.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    Honestly I had Trump at like 4-1 a month ago. Feels like he’s 9/5 favorite now.

To me, the GOP/conservative media/Trump had a very bad month.

Nothing major, but like 5 things that are small, but it almost feels like no one is really plugged in heavily to one source every night like the old days, and sometimes a bunch of small shit hits different groups and can make up a percent or two.

The Alabama SC ruling. They immediately saw how much trouble it was and did their best to run away from it, but it happened.

Tucker/Putin interview.
    This didn’t play well. Just all of it. Putin mocking him during interview, mocking him after.

It only matters because disliking Ukraine War, being Putin fanboys, being Tucker fanboys are the largely the same group. Not all, but mostly the same group. Anything that splinters a group is a loss.

I thought they misplayed the SOTU big time and in 3 ways that night.

Setting the lowest of expectations of Biden. Dems used to do this with Trump. Make him out to be such a crazy man that if he stayed anywhere near the script, he seemed presidential. Biden not falling asleep and yelling a little bit became a win when you paint a guy as full on Weekend at Bernies. You couldn’t shoot up Bernie with some stimulant.

That Britt response was just beyond bad. Weeks of blaming each other, girl set up a gofundme, etc. Just a huge fail with everyone playing the blame game still weeks later.

Easily the worst though.

Trump being Trump and posting that truth social post wanting credit for the vaccine. It’s like he has no idea how large a percentage of his voters are still obsessed with nonsensical vaccine injury theories and other assorted nonsense.

Worst part is he quoted Biden, but his part of the statement on it was essentially saying he jammed it through regulations. There isn't really a way to spin that.

That’s the entire crux of the anti-vaxxer movement. That it should have went through trials. He says he got though in 9 months what Biden would have taken 12 years to get through. That means it would be 8 years away now.

In other words, Biden would have been more cautious and he fast tracked it. He doesn’t grasp his loons have been arguing about this for years now, obsessed, and always placed blame on Biden. He’s announcing he wants credit for rushing it.

Horrible mistake. This is the one I’ve heard multiple Trump people bitch about the last week. Particularly dangerous when you have a true blue vaccine nutter in RFK running. He’s the OG anti-vaxxer, so if you really believe random quacks and all that antivax nonsense and it’s truly your cause, you now really only have one choice.

If you believe Trump, he should be target 1 of your ire. He rushed it. Biden wouldn’t have according to him. And RFK would have never considered it. He still arguing thimerosal and autism like it’s 2002.

Alex Jones lost his mind at Trump, but more importantly, I saw real people lose their shit. They aren’t going to become Biden voters, but a few might go RFK.

He basically said the J in Donald J Trump is for jab. That isn’t going away.

Nothing horrific as a bunch of minor issues, but these states get decided by a few thousand votes and there is a 3rd party running. Now add in Shapiro going after SS.

Everything was trending his way until the last month. I still think he wins, but the GOP isn’t playing well atm and the Dems have over-performed every poll considerably since the Roe decision. Across the map everywhere including red states.

I’d just be on message of inflation all day long, but they have a lot of erratic individuals with a national platform. They had a bad month and made some true unforced errors.

Excellent analysis.

I am one of the GOP's harshest critics when it comes to strategy. There are rah-rah idiots in my party who always try to spin why conservatives are going to crush whatever the next election is, and how the Dems are on the ropes. Of course, the Dems have their own version of those same delusional idiots. But when I see the GOP fucking up when it comes to electoral strategy, I am frustrated by it, because I want them to win. And I never like living in a world of delusion.

Much like the GOP snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in 2022 with the Roe ruling (plus the subsequent state law changes) and the horrible Trump-endorsed candidates, they might do the same in 2024 if they aren't careful.

When the Dems give you loads of easy softballs to smack out of the park, and when people in general are unhappy, you seize upon that.

They need the reverse of the Reagan question from 1984: "Are you happier now than you were 4 years ago?" For Reagan, the answer for most Americans was YES, and it resonated big time. He almost swept all 50 states.

Today, most people will answer NO, and Trump needs to ride that one hard. There are lots of sound bites of Biden saying that inflation in 2021 was "transitory" and "will last one or two months". They need to dig all of those up, play them over and over, and show price differences of various basics in 2019 versus 2024.

Run with that, run with the border stuff (though the GOP voting down the border bill complicates that a bit), run with the deterioration of major cities regarding crime/homelessness/theft, and run with the gender identity bullshit (but don't obsess too hard over it). Show examples of Biden looking really confused and old.

That's a winning strategy. Remind everyone how expensive things are and how things have gone downhill since Trump was in office, and how the Dems are too busy worrying about respecting 100 pronouns and making sure that dudes are entering women's sports.

Then just stop all the unforced errors. All of the things you mentioned are accurate. Nothing major, but various unforced errors which have dragged Trump and the GOP's chances down. The SOTU thing was indeed a big mess. Not sure how they didn't see it coming that Biden would be on major uppers and appear lively, because anything else would mean sure defeat. Not sure why that response video -- always a challenge for the GOP for some reason -- wasn't vetted by smart people within the party before submitting it.

Comments

splitthis: Biden worst president in history by far

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, I used to not watch Ben Shapiro at all.

I remember people being surprised by that, as most people pictured Ben Shapiro -- an educated, conservative Jew who likes to talk -- as someone who would appeal to me.

However, I found his show to be boring, and his camera/speaking presence to be off-putting. So I didn't hate him, but I couldn't get into it. At the time (I'm talking mid-late 2010s), I was a Steven Crowder fan, and watched almost every episode.

It's hard to believe when looking at current Crowder, but the mid-late 2010s Crowder was very good. He was funny, great at ad-libbing, had surprisingly good production value in his little comedy skits, and would often engage in entertaining remote appearances which would make the libs look really stupid. He also wasn't over-the-top conservative, and seemed to take reasonable positions. He wasn't even a Trumper at the beginning, and in fact was critical of Trump's candidacy. Despite being born in 1987, and having no memory of the world prior to the '90s, he had a fascination with '70s and '80s pop culture, and many of his skits reflected that. This especially appealed to me, as strangely a guy born in '87 was making skits referring to things from my childhood -- and seemingly understanding the era well.

But then things changed. I started getting the impression that Crowder was an asshole and had some kind of personality disorder. I figured that I still liked his show, and didn't have to be friends with the guy, so his off-camera personality shouldn't matter. But it seeped into the show and ruined things. Key people were fired or quit. He started to replace his funny remote segments with repetitive and banal "Change My Mind" bullshit. The final straw for me was his going full retard into the election conspiracy shit. That was it for me, and I quit watching. That's when I moved over to Shapiro. It took about 2 years for the rest of the conservative world to catch up with my impression of Crowder.

Once I gave Shapiro a chance, I liked him. I got used to the nasally voice. I found him to be conservative, yet logical and measured. Also, unlike Crowder, I got the impression that he was a good guy, and not someone I'd hate being around in real life. He was also very good at explaining his issues with the left, without resorting to lies, exaggeration, manipulated stats, or extreme viewpoints. I noticed that his views of the left matched mine to a large degree, whereas a lot of other conservatives did not.

I think Shapiro unfairly gets a lot of shit, and there's a lot of assumptions about him which simply aren't true. Oddly enough, aside from this social security debacle (where he DOES deserve the criticism), the few areas I have an issue with him have really gotten little play.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Crowders wife was on twitter begging for a job

I thought of offering her one but I’m not trying to hire some lady with 2 kids to take care of at home, who would?

Steve Crowder isn’t paying her enough to avoid this? Why he’s rich?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    They need the reverse of the Reagan question from 1984: "Are you happier now than you were 4 years ago?" For Reagan, the answer for most Americans was YES, and it resonated big time. He almost swept all 50 states.

Today, most people will answer NO, and Trump needs to ride that one hard. There are lots of sound bites of Biden saying that inflation in 2021 was "transitory" and "will last one or two months". They need to dig all of those up, play them over and over, and show price differences of various basics in 2019 versus 2024.
    Just between you and me the President usually doesn’t have that much control over the economy. That being said, Trump and his reign over the pandemic resulted in $6 trillion dollars of deficit. Fed printers running overtime.

Trump wasn’t exactly Winston Churchill.

You wanna wind up the pundits? Does he want to touch the deficit or inflation? Pretty important topics. Third rail issues for Trump if you ask me.

Biden told us the sun was the moon when addressing the economy in 2021. Biden was lying or trying to ease fear by lying. He has made a difficult economic situation worse with idiot policies. Yet, Trump was easing before the pandemic and then flooded the economy with fresh ink … transferring more wealth to the elites than had ever occurred before in human history.

Tricky bizness for a populist.

Stay the course Donald. You are doing fine. Nobody is the wiser.

What a shit show

Load Metric
    we're still paying off the covid cash prints, i have no idea why otherwise intelligent people refuse to frame any convo about the economy with that simple, basic reality.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    we're still paying off the covid cash prints, i have no idea why otherwise intelligent people refuse to frame any convo about the economy with that simple, basic reality.
    fyp “paying for”/doing penance for

paying off? the balance is growing not shrinking and thats whats so damn fun.

what was the original sin and who committed it?

default or print. thanks for playing

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    fyp “paying for”/doing penance for

paying off? the balance is growing not shrinking and thats whats so damn fun.

what was the original sin and who committed it?

default or print. thanks for playing

im not really applying a directional bias towards it as much as im clocking the volatility / deviation from mean. but if you want to apply a pain spectrum to it, the little guys are going to be uncomfortable until both the liquidity is re-absorbed and the second order stabilization tools can be powered down. everything else is just religion.

Load Metric
    I absolutely hate everything Biden's doing, everything.
    But I always remember from when Bush 2 was in office.
    Never vote Republican, ever.

Trump's running on a platform of gutting $750 Billion from Medicare and gutting %2 trillion from SS.
    Bringing back child labor, think 14 y.o.'s in the meat packing plants.
    Eliminating retirement
    All that so he can o he can give that money to his criminal friends on wall street and in the middle east..

The question is can Trump and the GOP keep this hidden until after the election.
    We'll see.
    The GOP's been waiting a long time for someone like Trump in a second term so they can implement their real policies.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Druff has a reasoned response on the conservative side.

Team Retard says Biden is a pedo slave zombie or something. It's just not reasonable to claim your opponent is inhuman, criminal whatever. You need to realize 50% or so disagree with you, and making bonzo arguments makes you appear, uh, bonzo.

I appreciate your perspective Druff, and I am a bed wetting liberal. But that doesn't make me a pedo criminal- arguing otherwise makes your cause unattractive. Druff is not making this argument, let me be clear.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Just between you and me the President usually doesn’t have that much control over the economy. That being said, Trump and his reign over the pandemic resulted in $6 trillion dollars of deficit. Fed printers running overtime.

Trump wasn’t exactly Winston Churchill.

You wanna wind up the pundits? Does he want to touch the deficit or inflation? Pretty important topics. Third rail issues for Trump if you ask me.

Biden told us the sun was the moon when addressing the economy in 2021. Biden was lying or trying to ease fear by lying. He has made a difficult economic situation worse with idiot policies. Yet, Trump was easing before the pandemic and then flooded the economy with fresh ink … transferring more wealth to the elites than had ever occurred before in human history.

Tricky bizness for a populist.

Stay the course Donald. You are doing fine. Nobody is the wiser.

What a shit show
    I mentioned this last week. It’s not like Trump is fiscally responsible. He rang up $4 trillion in debt pre-covid.

Inflation is the situation I’d most like to run against though. People have short memories and the shit hadn’t yet hit the fan with Trumps issues.

You can make a ton of mistakes if your GOP and the next day shit is still expensive. Why hardly matters.

If I was some billionaire Dem donor though, I’d be spending my money specifically on RFK Jr vaccine ads. Biden is known quantity and his shortcomings are glaring.

Just be RFK ads with Trump saying he’s father of the vaccine and claiming credit for rushing it through. They are going to need to win a Perot style race with Biden’s approval ratings.

Load Metric
    its interesting timing, shapiro ringing the bell about sosh security / retirement last week.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1770860978000826442

Thread Information