Thread: I've made over $200,000 in the stock market in 2024, its not even end of March

Load Metric

I've made over $200,000 in the stock market in 2024, its not even end of March

No stopping me. Goal is about $700,000 end of year.

Not getting greedy just looking to get mine.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Thanks Biden!

sonatine: fucking gorgeous, get that shit

GrenadaRoger: it's a truth universally acknowledged...

Load Metric

Comments

garrett: ..

Load Metric
    The old bottom set was much more liquid.

Load Metric
    Lol sure, the way you imploded over losing 2k was the real deal.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Lol
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Must be a lonely day drowning his sorrows in Applebee's while another man raises his kids.

Magical stocks > gastritis and a long line of of trailer toilets
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post

Well done.

Only thing id caution is its easy to make money when the entire market is up 10% in 2.5 months.

If the market is flat the rest of the year and you end the year up the same 200K that may not be a bad result. Even more true if its down 10% from here.

Any particular space or investment?

I have some time carved out to look at chips tomorrow. Seems like NVIDA got way extended to me, but like I said I am far from a comfortable understanding.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Well done.

Only thing id caution is its easy to make money when the entire market is up 10% in 2.5 months.

If the market is flat the rest of the year and you end the year up the same 200K that may not be a bad result. Even more true if its down 10% from here.

I have some time carved out to look at chips tomorrow. Seems like NVIDA got way extended to me, but like I said I am far from a comfortable understanding.
    I am mostly attracted to risky biotech tickers. Unfortunately, I missed the weight loss drug mania, otherwise I could have easily added a 0 to the $200,000. This sector is risky and I was very fortunate last year to scratch out a gain when most people got crushed in a biotech bear market, I was lucky to have offset my biotech losses by a couple AI stocks. This year biotech is way in favor and should stay that way when the broader market cools and interest rates come down.

Make no mistake, it's flat out gambling when you hit the buy button but there are trends you can follow.

I am still sick I missed on Carvana when it dropped to $7 last year. It reminded me of Amazon back in the day. People are lazy and hate car lots, to buy and sell a car and they come to you is a great business model long term, I should have listened to my instincts when everyone was saying it was going to go out of business. That's when you buy.

I will admit it is tempting just to take the $200K profit and stick it in a 5.5% CD and just forget about it. To your point, this market is poised for a big drop when you have bartenders and Uber drivers buying NVDA and BTC and have CNBC on their satellite radio.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Well done.

I am mostly attracted to risky biotech tickers. Unfortunately, I missed the weight loss drug mania, otherwise I could have easily added a 0 to the $200,000. This sector is risky and I was very fortunate last year to scratch out a gain when most people got crushed in a biotech bear market, I was lucky to have offset my biotech losses by a couple AI stocks. This year biotech is way in favor and should stay that way when the broader market cools and interest rates come down.

Make no mistake, it's flat out gambling when you hit the buy button but there are trends you can follow.

I am still sick I missed on Carvana when it dropped to $7 last year. It reminded me of Amazon back in the day. People are lazy and hate car lots, to buy and sell a car and they come to you is a great business model long term, I should have listened to my instincts when everyone was saying it was going to go out of business. That's when you buy.

I will admit it is tempting just to take the $200K profit and stick it in a 5.5% CD and just forget about it. To your point, this market is poised for a big drop when you have bartenders and Uber drivers buying NVDA and BTC and have CNBC on their satellite radio.
    Name:  Seagull.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  127.9 KB

Load Metric
    what was your starting roll if you dont mind disclosing

Comments

1marley1: One Billion Dollars!!!
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Platinum
    Load Metric
    My main 401k is up 17%….and my investment choices are a lame group of mutual funds.

Tempting to take some money off the table then dollar cost averaging it back in over time….got at least 6 years til my last kid is out of school.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine View Post
    what was your starting roll if you dont mind disclosing
    This latest stock market volley for me started in August and in October I saw my $50,000 seed money go right to $29,000 in October. Every bear on CNBC was predicting the S&P was going to tank to 3000 or so, but I saw some analyst from JPM say this is precisely the time to buy. So I added $50,000 more to my account, wife obviously was telling me to just take the loss and get out. In some ways she was right as I am too old to start this expensive of a hobby. But I listened to my instincts and bought XBI and Palantier at their near 52 week lows, each went up big from there which started my personal rally. Lately I have been just picking individual biotechs which seem to go up virtually every week. The weight loss drug mania has just propelled the whole sector. You got drugs in phase 2 spiking 40% in a day for no reason, just crazy.

My biggest miss was Carvana and ROOT which is the primary car insurer for Carvana. Each were single digits a few months ago but I stayed away because there was bankruptcy chatter. which obviously was a straight up short lie in retrospect. I'd prefer to find a couple good stocks like those go really long on, because the momentum trading while it's been very profitable the last few months obviously can change on the drop of a dime.

As a rule, I only invest/trade in stocks that have high floats. I get the fact you read about some low float bio going from 5 to 50 in a few hours. They also go from 50 to 5 in a few hours because retail traders get stuck and can get out.

Been a good ride the last few months, but I realize no matter now much research you do on a individual stock there are forces too great in the market to stop a violet upswing or downswing and individual investors generally get fucked. But I am enjoying this ride while it lasts.

Comments

sonatine: fucking a man, great score.

OK2: you almost rage quit this place not long ago and look at you now

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I should have seen the carvana turn around, once the used car market loosened up they would no longer have to buy pieces of over priced crap just to stay in business and can now cherry pick.

I almost got a job with Shift which did the same thing as carvana, stock price was around 10 when I interviewed, tried to explain how they were leaving money on the table due to not having robust F&I products or their own financing company…would have gotten 10k options as a sign on bonus.

Those shares would be now worth 0.0….glad I didn’t get that position…but their epic fail soured me on carvana and vroom.

Load Metric
    Not complaining because I have done really well since October, but in addition to Carvana another massive life changing miss I think about all the time was Viking (VKTX). I got a tip from someone I trust when it was below $10 in November. It seemed to me overvalued since its market cap was near a billion. Plus I was on a run with XBI and PLTR and would have had to sell one to buy and I could not do that at the time because they were going up literally every day.

Now VKTX is in the 70s on this weight loss drug mania, you don't even need an FDA approved drug, just good data in phase 2 and it's a 200% gain in a day. Obviously a 7000 share buy when I got the tip would be half a million today.

You can drive yourself insane looking at what you should have bought. To be fair I was also told by same guy when I got back into this stock trading 1st of August EXAS was going to historic highs, it's the company that has those super annoying commercials about cologuard where you mail your shit in for testing on colon cancer. It was in the 80s, but I wanted to buy an AI stock at the time so I went with Palantier and put the other half in XBI. EXAS now looks to be dead money.

It's the really unfair thing about biotechs, you can have an approved drug making money like EXAS and its almost ignored, but simply get good drug data on something unapproved and it goes up 200%.

What do I know, here I am up Monday morning in the middle of the night reading about biotech stocks trying to get an edge premarket at 4am when it opens. Looking outside in my neighborhood, the only light on is mine. I can see why most stock brokers always look like shit, it's stressful thinking about gains and losses every day.

Load Metric
    Not complaining because I have done really well since October, but in addition to Carvana another massive life changing miss I think about all the time was Viking (VKTX). I got a tip from someone I trust when it was below $10 in November. It seemed to me overvalued since its market cap was near a billion. Plus I was on a run with XBI and PLTR and would have had to sell one to buy and I could not do that at the time because they were going up literally every day.

Now VKTX is in the 70s on this weight loss drug mania, you don't even need an FDA approved drug, just good data in phase 2 and it's a 200% gain in a day. Obviously a 7000 share buy when I got the tip would be half a million today.

You can drive yourself insane looking at what you should have bought. To be fair I was also told by same guy when I got back into this stock trading 1st of August EXAS was going to historic highs, it's the company that has those super annoying commercials about cologuard where you mail your shit in for testing on colon cancer. It was in the 80s, but I wanted to buy an AI stock at the time so I went with Palantier and put the other half in XBI. EXAS now looks to be dead money.

It's the really unfair thing about biotechs, you can have an approved drug making money like EXAS and its almost ignored, but simply get good drug data on something unapproved and it goes up 200%.

What do I know, here I am up Monday morning in the middle of the night reading about biotech stocks trying to get an edge premarket at 4am when it opens. Looking outside in my neighborhood, the only light on is mine. I can see why most stock brokers always look like shit, it's stressful thinking about gains and losses every day.

you and i have discussed biotechs a fair bit in the past, its not surprising to see you smashing them.

ive always respected that biotechs are basically the crack of investing. its one of those weird areas where getting lucky a few times can make you wealthy and even if youre god-mode knowledgable about them, a few misses can leave you on the rocks.

shkrelli is the perfect example of that; he was really a global authority on biotechs and managed to blow up not one but two whole ass funds on them. which is legend shit and totally to be expected from a /wsb mod but absolutely speaks to how merciless trying to make money off them is.

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

ROFL ... god the PFA comedy show

Gold
    Load Metric
    I’m up as well but a lot less than 200k

You think it’s a good time to keep buying? I just buy into mutual funds and SP500 every day market or fund is down, taking a while to build sizable positions

Comments

country978: Where you're so young how is it that you're not the biggest bitcoin bull on pfa?

Load Metric

you and i have discussed biotechs a fair bit in the past, its not surprising to see you smashing them.

ive always respected that biotechs are basically the crack of investing. its one of those weird areas where getting lucky a few times can make you wealthy and even if youre god-mode knowledgable about them, a few misses can leave you on the rocks.

shkrelli is the perfect example of that; he was really a global authority on biotechs and managed to blow up not one but two whole ass funds on them. which is legend shit and totally to be expected from a /wsb mod but absolutely speaks to how merciless trying to make money off them is.
    Look, I know nothing about the science of biotechs. Naturally I want them approved because they save lives, maybe mine one day who knows.

Look at SAVA one year chart, Alzheimers. It goes up and down for no reason other than a research article good or bad. Whatever, I might buy it this week. $20K buy for like 1100 shares. It's almost certain to go to $22 and that is $5K.

Yeah its straight up gambling, I get that. I've just been hot lately. I get it I will cool, but I am not taking my chips off the table. At least for now. The sector is hot right now, all I read it will be for a year or so, so make it while you can.

Load Metric

Look, I know nothing about the science of biotechs. Naturally I want them approved because they save lives, maybe mine one day who knows.

Look at SAVA one year chart, Alzheimers. It goes up and down for no reason other than a research article good or bad. Whatever, I might buy it this week. $20K buy for like 1100 shares. It's almost certain to go to $22 and that is $5K.

Yeah its straight up gambling, I get that. I've just been hot lately. I get it I will cool, but I am not taking my chips off the table. At least for now. The sector is hot right now, all I read it will be for a year or so, so make it while you can.

listen.

Thread Information