Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Huge high school crush of mine developed a thing for me in the weeks before the 10-year Reunion -- did it work out?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Huge high school crush of mine developed a thing for me in the weeks before the 10-year Reunion -- did it work out?

A recent thread about confusing someone years later with the same name reminds me of something from the year 2000.

My parents informed me that they had received a letter addressed to me, at their home address. I got it from them, and it was an invitation to my high school's 10-year reunion. I hadn't expected a 10-year reunion, so I hadn't really considered prior to that whether I would like to go to such a thing.

Keep in mind that I had not yet played poker in 2000, so my "poker life" was not something which would have come up at the reunion. I was just a boring software engineer at the time.

I went to a different high school than most people from my junior high, due to a weird way they drew maps for the school district. There was a high school 2.5 miles away, and another 6 miles away, and I was sent to the one 6 miles away. Both were good schools, and I wasn't in the awful LA district, so there was no gang problem or anything like that (this was a big concern in the '80s).

However, the downside was that I didn't know many people at the school. It was almost like moving to a new town. Everyone already had their groups of friends, and it was hard to integrate myself into them. I definitely would have been better off going to the other high school, at least socially.

With that in mind, I didn't have much of a desire to go to the reunion. I didn't know most of my classmates well, hadn't gone to elementary or junior high school with them, so why would I give a shit what they were doing 10 years later? And why would they give a shit about me?

I was about 90% decided to skip it, but then emails started arriving. This is because I gave my email address to the reunion organizer, upon receiving the letter requesting it. She started firing out group emails to gage the level of interest in the reunion, which wasn't even 100% happening yet.

Caring little what any of these people thought, I gave a few joke responses to the emails. A few people played along with me and joked back, which I'm sure got to irritate everyone else on the list. However, one notable name seemed to be enjoying my remarks, and then sent me a private email telling me how entertaining she was finding me. I'll call her "Ann" (not her real name).

Why was Ann notable to me? Because I had a gigantic crush on her in high school, but never said anything about it. Now, 10 years later, she was taking notice of me enough to privately email me and tell me how much she was enjoying my banter in the group messages.

Despite really liking Ann in high school, I didn't know much about her. She was one of those students who hadn't gone to my other schools. She was in some of my high school classes, and I thought she was both really pretty and really smart, and also had a quiet, down-to-earth personality. But at the time I didn't really have an opening to get to know her, so we barely spoke during our entire time in high school.

But now here she was. I pretended it was no big deal to get the email from her, and of course did not tell her anything about liking her in high school. I thanked her for complimenting my remarks in the group, and then just kinda made small talk with her. It worked really well. She was emailing me several times per day, and was really opening up to me. She even told me about her struggles with depression, doubts about her career, and other personal stuff. But it mostly wasn't downer stuff like that. The general tone of the emails were fun, upbeat, and two people getting to know one another.

I acted very attentive and supportive in the emails, but was careful not to come off too asskissy. At no point did I ever make reference to my 1980s crush on her. She had absolutely no idea, and I figured I'd wait for her to express some kind of romantic interest in me before revealing this. I did find out that she was single and had no children. She also sent me a then-current picture of herself, and she was still very pretty.

My peak of optimism came about a week before the reunion. She wrote something like, "I have very little interest in the reunion itself. I don't really care about any of these people. If it weren't for you being there, I'd skip it entirely. But I really want to see you, and I'm excited about it!"

I wanted to take that email, travel back 10 years, and show my 18-year-old self.

The reunion night came. It was boring, as expected. But what about Ann?

Well, that was my question. She wasn't there. I searched the entire room, and while the event got pretty good attendance, Ann was nowhere to be found.

"Maybe she's just running late", I thought to myself.

Nope. An hour in, still no sign of her. Damnit. Did she get cold feet? That would have surprised me, because I never said anything implying any kind of romantic or sexual interest in her. I was going to wait to see how things went at the reunion before possibly trying to take it in that direction.

Finally, about 90 minutes into it, Ann showed up. She was with a female friend (also in my high school class), and hiding in the corner of what was already a darkish room.

I said hi to her. She looked at me like I was from another planet. Thinking perhaps she had me confused for someone else, I said, "I'm Todd.. the one you've been emailing with for the past month."

She kind of nodded her head and let out a very quiet "Hi", then just kinda stared out into space. I had remembered her being very shy in high school, so perhaps this was what was going on, but it was so weird. I didn't even think this was due to any disappointment in how I looked, or anything like that. I hadn't changed that much since my senior year of high school, other than looking a little bit older.

Highly disappointing, to say the least. I attributed this whole thing to her possibly being nervous that she was leading me on in the emails, and then was too shy to actually show up and see it through. So she probably almost skipped it, and then showed up and hid in the corner with her friend. I walked away and didn't interact with her for the rest of the night. I observed that she remained in the corner the entire time and didn't interact with anyone else, either. So weird.

That was the last time I heard from her. I considered emailing her and asking wtf happened, but there was really no point, so I didn't.

So what does this have to do with confusing two people with the same name?

I'll get to that in the next post.

Comments

NickyPipes: PUA

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    About 10 years ago, I was reading some news articles, and I came across Ann's name. She had a fairly common name, so obviously that didn't mean much. However, in the article she was pictured, and she looked a hell of a lot like the girl I had remembered (especially the 2000 pic she had sent me).

The Ann in the article had a very prominent position in a very major company which was in the news at the time. That company had been discussed a lot on PFA at the time, as well.

I did a little bit of research and simply could not figure it out. I was wavering back and forth regarding whether or not I believed it was the same Ann. There were certain reasons to believe it was her, and certain reasons to believe it was not. One big reason to believe it wasn't had to do with Ann's 2000 emails about her career. She was in an artistic field, and this woman in the news in 2014 had the opposite of an artistic position. So either she completely reinvented herself between 2000 and 2014, or it was a different person. Still, the woman in the pictures (and I even saw some videos of TV coverage of her) looked a lot like an early-40s version of the Ann I remembered.

I gave up and just figured I'd never know the answer.

However, about 5 years later, that company was in the news again, and there was Ann's name again. This time I tried a different method to verify it and...

It was the same Ann I knew. 100%. At this point, she was married, but was using her maiden name professionally.

So I guess she really was unhappy enough in 2000 to completely reinvent herself, and it apparently worked out. Her name was common so I was pretty shocked it really ended up being the same person.

The end.

Comments

garrett: "the End." loll

NickyPipes: PUA

Load Metric
    Garrett is still trying to figure out how the Fresh prince is playing catcher for the Dodgers rn tbh.

Load Metric

Load Metric
    Some of the strongest self-ownage in years.

Poor Ann thought she was talking to someone else only to realize it was the guy who called himself a programmer and who hassled the lunch ladies about tater tot portions.

Such mistakes unlikely to happen since Facebook.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

Poor Ann thought she was talking to someone else only to realize it was the guy who called himself a programmer and who hassled the lunch ladies about tater tot portions.

I knew you'd come back with a dumb comment like that.

I'm sure you're just doing your usual miserable trolling, but just to clarify any possible confusion, Ann knew exactly who I was the whole time. We just didn't know each other well in high school, on a personal level. She showed up 90 minutes late (about halfway through the reunion) and hid in the corner the entire time once she got there. It's not like she showed up enthusiastically and on time, and then went to a frown once she saw who I was.

Whatever happened there was a result of her own issues at the time. I thought that then, and still believe that now. From what I saw of her in the news coverage in the 2010s, she looked like she's doing much better, so good for her.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: Interesting read

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
    Please do not derail Garrets thread about Jon Dagastino's transition from poker to owning COINBASE.
    I waited for that to conclude before moving on to discuss the heartbreak of my potential "reunion girlfriend" going belly up in 2000.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I enjoyed your story

Weird you didn’t talk to her more at the reunion

100% Nicky pipes is fucking

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

I knew you'd come back with a dumb comment like that.

I'm sure you're just doing your usual miserable trolling, but just to clarify any possible confusion, Ann knew exactly who I was the whole time. We just didn't know each other well in high school, on a personal level. She showed up 90 minutes late (about halfway through the reunion) and hid in the corner the entire time once she got there. It's not like she showed up enthusiastically and on time, and then went to a frown once she saw who I was.

Whatever happened there was a result of her own issues at the time. I thought that then, and still believe that now. From what I saw of her in the news coverage in the 2010s, she looked like she's doing much better, so good for her.
    Of course that's delusional thinking.

I know your ego won't allow it but of course I'm right. Your own typed out intrepretation suggests as much.

Why would she even show up if these 'issues' were so serious? Probably just successfully avoided you for the first 90 minutes and feigned illness when you showed up.

Maybe she didn't code you as the awkward Jew but she definitely thought you were someone else.

Toguh beat champ. At least you both found happiness.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post
    I enjoyed your story

I've always had a good sense if a girl is interested in me or not. In the emails, the interest level seemed to be rapidly increasing on her end, but somehow she developed doubt/nervousness/shyness about the whole thing, and likely almost no-showed the reunion.

She very much gave the "I don't want to be here but I came anyway because I said I would" vibe. Not only was she very standoffish with me, she sat in the dark corner the entire time with her friend, and didn't mingle with anyone. And that was after coming 90 minutes late.

Also, desipte repeatedly telling me how excited she was to see me at the upcoming reunion (and stated she was only going because I would be there), she did NOT attempt to find me at all. She arrived in the middle and just hid in the corner. I found her just because I was moving around the room a lot and talking to different people I'd encounter. My first reaction was, "Wow she's here... but why so late and why didn't she try to find me?", but the answer to that became clear very quickly.

No point to make it awkward after that. I just moved on and left her alone.

Recall that she was depressed with her life and career at that point. My emails probably provided a nice escape from that for a month or so, and she really enjoyed them. I'm guessing that shortly before the reunion, she got cold feet about the whole thing and wasn't ready to date anyone due to her depression, and really didn't want to have the awkwardness of seeing me and having me possibly ask her out. I didn't think it was personally about me, so I wasn't even mad. I just thought it was a bizarre and unexpected ending to the whole thing.

And I'm not one of those guys who never thinks a rejection is about me. Many times I can definitely tell it was due to an issue with me. But this wasn't one of them.

Load Metric
    I enjoyed your story

I've always had a good sense if a girl is interested in me or not. In the emails, the interest level seemed to be rapidly increasing on her end, but somehow she developed doubt/nervousness/shyness about the whole thing, and likely almost no-showed the reunion.

She very much gave the "I don't want to be here but I came anyway because I said I would" vibe. Not only was she very standoffish with me, she sat in the dark corner the entire time with her friend, and didn't mingle with anyone. And that was after coming 90 minutes late.

Also, desipte repeatedly telling me how excited she was to see me at the upcoming reunion (and stated she was only going because I would be there), she did NOT attempt to find me at all. She arrived in the middle and just hid in the corner. I found her just because I was moving around the room a lot and talking to different people I'd encounter. My first reaction was, "Wow she's here... but why so late and why didn't she try to find me?", but the answer to that became clear very quickly.

Recall that she was depressed with her life and career at that point. My emails probably provided a nice escape from that for a month or so, and she really enjoyed them. I'm guessing that shortly before the reunion, she got cold feet about the whole thing and wasn't ready to date anyone due to her depression, and really didn't want to have the awkwardness of seeing me and having me possibly ask her out. I didn't think it was personally about me, so I wasn't even mad. I just thought it was a bizarre and unexpected ending to the whole thing.

And I'm not one of those guys who never thinks a rejection is about me. Many times I can definitely tell it was due to an issue with me. But this wasn't one of them.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Sloppy Joe easily the best troll on this site

clever, subtle, and creative

and yet has somehow miraculously managed to dodge Todd’s wrath after all these years

kids got mad skills

Gold
    Load Metric
    Surprised to see you are getting such negative feedback

I liked reading the stories

Gold
    Load Metric
    I enjoyed your story

Can you just email her now and ask for some clarification so we all know what happened and why?

Bronze
    Load Metric

I agree, good storytelling Druff. The story ends up being embarrassing but we have all experienced weird moments like that at some point.

Silver
    Load Metric

The real self-ownage is not being able to make new good friends over the course of four full years of high school.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dive_Bar_Dave View Post

I agree, good storytelling Druff. The story ends up being embarrassing but we have all experienced weird moments like that at some point.
    Glad you enjoyed the story. However, I don’t believe the end was embarrassing — just weird and frustrating.

Embarrassing would have been if I persisted at the reunion and kept trying to get her to talk to me. But I took the hint very quickly and bounced.

I’m still almost 100% convinced this wasn’t about me. How could it have been if she showed up 90 minutes late and then hid before even seeing me?

I think the best looking and smoothest dude in the world would have met the same fate I did that night.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheesfaced View Post

The real self-ownage is not being able to make new good friends over the course of four full years of high school.
    Brother now that is unkind.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Dan Druff has gotten a boat load of pussy

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I've got to say I don't understand Sloppy's attitude in this thread.

Were this reunion story a narcissistic-looking form of bragging about the past, and he felt he needed to take me down a peg, I'd understand the trolling and nasty remarks.

But here I told a story from 24 years ago with a depressing ending, where the final result was an unexpected and abrupt rejection.

What was the point of trying to convince me that this was due to something being inherently wrong with me, or that she had remembered me as someone else and became instantly disappointed when she saw who I was?

Just seems like a dick thing to do. Especially because all of the facts point the opposite way, as I’ve already explained several times.

Having introspetion and social awareness means that you can honestly and correctly assess when failures like this are your fault, and when they're not. The person with zero self esteem will always blame themselves. The narcissist or egotist will always blame the other person. I always seek to figure out the truth, whether it's flattering or not. Here the facts point to Ann being depressed and not wanting to be social, but also not wanting to completely flake on the promise to be there, so she showed up 90 minutes late and hid from everyone in the corner.

What's bothering me here is that Sloppy is acting like it's 100% certain this was due to something wrong with me, and not due to this girl suffering from depression or simply changing her mind.

His criticism here isn't constructive or meant to help me understand the situation better, but rather to try and make me feel bad about myself. He's twisting every detail to fit his bullshit negative narrative, no matter how much he has to morph the actual story to do so. And again, this wasn't a brag story. Most people would just keep a story like this to themselves, as I have for the past 24 years. I told it because I thought it was interesting, even though it was a depressing moment for me at the time.

This also was a serious story, and not one meant to get laughs (such as when I post a customer service battle or sometihng like that). I don't give a shit at this point that Ann changed her mind about me in 2000, but what I do give a shit about is that a very regular poster here would read a story like this and think, "Let me think what I can write to make Druff feel like absolute shit."

Maybe next time try and think about the fact that you're a guest on my site that I'm running just to give people a place to talk, and show at least a little fucking respect.

Comments

splitthis: Slops is a troll of the liberal form

Ricky: Flawless victory, druff but fair.

Thread Information