Thread: Norwegian Cruise Line substitutes out mainland Antarctica stop on expensive cruise

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Norwegian Cruise Line substitutes out mainland Antarctica stop on expensive cruise

Antarctica cruises are quite expensive, because it's the only way to get to the earth's uninhabited seventh continent.

The desired Antarctica cruise involves going to the "mainland" area, rather than the outlying areas. The scenery is spectacular in the mainland area, whereas in the outlying bays it is nothing special.

Here is the type of thing you would see in mainland Antarctica, which has been described by some as "Alaska on steroids":

For reasons nobody understands, NCL rerouted the ship after everyone had boarded, changing the mainland Antarctica stop to an area called Paradise Bay. They refused to give any rational explanation for this, and a look at the weather showed nothing unusual.

A woman onboard (whose accent sounds Australian) became outraged and organized a group of over 200 people to gather in the ship's main lobby area, and protest. The security officer attempted to show up to calm everyone down, but it didn't work.

She recorded various Tiktok videos, as seen below:

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7333672444940733742

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7334091107510308138

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7334790902075936042

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7335554986849406250

The only information NCL would give was that this decision was made by their head Miami office, and that a "go slow" order was given, not allowing the cruise to travel at normal speed.

When asked for a statement by the media, NCL said a bit more, but still provided little clarity:

We are committed to providing exceptional vacation experiences, both aboard our ships and by taking our guests to some of the most sought-out destinations around the world. While we try to maintain original itineraries as much as possible, at times modifications are made to optimize the itinerary or to accommodate certain circumstances. To enhance the guest experience, the ship’s current itinerary was revised to allow more time for guests to explore Stanley, Falkland Islands. As such, the cruise by Paradise Bay, Antarctica was replaced with a cruise by Admiralty Bay, Antarctica. In addition, due to a recent regulatory requirement in the area, the ship is operating at a reduced speed, also impacting its original itinerary.

I find it highly unlikely that people who paid big money to see Antarctica were clamoring to have more time in the Falkland Islands.

And while they blame the "go slow" order on a regulatory requirement, note that they said "it also impacted" the original itinerary, but stopped short of blaming that for the change. If this really had to be changed because regulatory requirements forced them to travel too slowly to get to mainland Antarctica, this would have been an easy statement to make (and prove). But they're not saying that -- just throwing that in to complicate the message.

So why would they do this?

My guess is that they noticed the ship has some kind of safety issue, which makes it unsafe for them to travel to mainland Antarctica, which often runs into huge and dangerous waves. So perhaps the ship was fit to do a revised itinerary, but could not be trusted with the rigors of a mainland Antarctica trip. It's kind of like having the 4-wheel drive break on your SUV. You can still drive it, but you can only handle paved roads and good quality dirt roads.

Why don't they just admit this? They probably are afraid to scare the passengers, and also perhaps admitting this would trigger some sort of right to refund in some countries.

These are just guesses on my part, but there's no way NCL just did this for the sake of fucking people over. There had to be a reason, and their explanation is extremely bullshitty.

Unfortunately, the cruise lines cover themselves in their passenger contract, allowing them to modify itineraries at any time for almost any reason.

If this happened to me, I would still attempt a chargeback on my credit card, alleging fraud.

Comments

Tellafriend:

Bilbodoggins: Damn! I was going to take my new Paki girlfriend on the cruise of her life!

Load Metric

Norwegian Cruise Line substitutes out mainland Antarctica stop on expensive cruise

Good topic Druff, thanks.

Add- this might be the reason for the sudden change?

Comments

Tellafriend:
    Last edited by desertrunner; 02-15-2024 at 07:08 AM.

Load Metric
    I can see why they didnt tell the passenger now, did want them freaking out over Iran.

Load Metric
    I can tell you right now they fucked with the wrong people. They going to drop a ton of people next year over this.

You “fuck over” some mid west family who bought a $699 inside cabin for the husband and 2 kids to go hog wild at the Buffett for a week while stoping at a glorified beach - honestly it don't matter. Good chance they wouldnt be back soon anyway and if another cruise line offered $599 next time they would “Jump ship”…. Literally.

What you dont do is fuck over white social security collecting 55-80 year olds. There are people in this age bracket that have 400-500-800-1200 days at sea and spend tens of thousands of dollars a year. Pro tip: the only people on this cruise were in this bracket of client. Nobody takes their first cruise to south America and Antarctica. Pro tip #2. All the white upper middle age women all know each other and have cruised together before and they all post at cruise fraud alert or cruise critic or some other forum. They are literally worse than 15 year olds.

All of these people on this boat will not cruise with Norwegian for at least 2-3 years. All of their friends the same. All the others on message boards will not book there.

Id sell the stock. It wont bankrupt them, but the expensive port of calls that retirees go to will be hard to sell for them.

Comments

gut: "Cruise fraud alert" rep. Druff buying the domain now

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I respect the woman who put the protest together.

NCL was out of line.

After people pay a lot of money to see mainland Antarctica, you can't just change the itinerary for seemingly no reason and say, "Sorry, this is what we're doing now, can't tell you anything further, read your contract which allows this."

It's nasty and a borderline scam.

If the ship has safety issues which prevent it from making that journey, just say so, and then give passengers fair compensation for what happened.

This isn't like skipping some minor Caribbean port. They're literally leaving out the port everyone was paying all that money to see. That's not something you just hand wave away as if it's standard.

Daly, I think you're right that this will have an impact, at least on future NCL Antarctica cruises.

Load Metric
    Lol cruises.

Load Metric
    After reading this thread, I seriously want to do the Antarctica cruise now. 2025 would be the ideal time line for me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

NCL was out of line.

After people pay a lot of money to see mainland Antarctica, you can't just change the itinerary for seemingly no reason and say, "Sorry, this is what we're doing now, can't tell you anything further, read your contract which allows this."

If the ship has safety issues which prevent it from making that journey, just say so, and then give passengers fair compensation for what happened.

This isn't like skipping some minor Caribbean port. They're literally leaving out the port everyone was paying all that money to see. That's not something you just hand wave away as if it's standard.

Daly, I think you're right that this will have an impact, at least on future NCL Antarctica cruises.

It wont have any impact on garden variety cruises out of Fla/Ca/Tx or even British Isle or Mediterranean. These are filled with family and couple travelers with jobs on both side of the pond.

Where they are absolutely fucked is repositioning cruises that are 14+ days and longer destination cruises. Alaska, south America, the northern lights, Singapore/far east…. And even the “around the world” fares. All the 10K and up cruises.

If they are smart they will come clean and make a big announcement that everyone is getting thier money back and another free cruise.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

NCL was out of line.

Royal Caribbean and Carnival pulling the same bullshit with various Red Sea rerouting

Thread Information