Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DeSantis OUT, endorses Trump

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

DeSantis OUT, endorses Trump

https://twitter.com/rondesantis/status/1749159384112845285

Horribly run campaign.

Weird endorsement of Trump, too. First he bashed Trump’s policies in the “endorsement”, then he acted as if Trump was just the lesser of two evils versus Biden, then he praised Trump for not being part of the corporate elite.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Name:  CC7DBB85-EF78-446D-BAEB-33B7EF010621.jpeg
Views: 268
Size:  362.3 KB

Comments

desertrunner: Exactly.

Load Metric
    God do I wish picking sports was as easy as this shit. Always drawing dead.

I’ve watched the polls continue to snap back to pre-election levels the further removed from the mid terms we get. I kind of assumed this would happen, but surprised at how quickly. I find these almost hard to believe. I see Fox has it closer to even after having Desantis up 7 a week ago. They’re clearly pro-Ron, so it’s likely more somewhere in the middle.

Last 3 h2h polls among GOP voters. For all the hope Trump wouldn’t run, I think it’s more likely Ron just waits it out given his age.

2024 Republican Presidential Nomination Politico/Morning Consult Trump 47, DeSantis 33, Pence 5, Cruz 2, Cheney 1, Haley 1, Pompeo 0, Hogan 1, Rubio 1, T. Scott

2024 Republican Presidential Nomination Harvard-Harris Trump 46, DeSantis 28, Pence 7, Cruz 3, Cheney, Haley 2, Pompeo 1, Hogan, Rubio 1, T. Scott

2024 Republican Presidential Nomination Emerson Trump 55, DeSantis 25, Pence 8, Cruz 3, Cheney 4, Haley 3, Pompeo, Hogan 1, Rubio, T. Scott Trump +3

They interest me only so far as I’m trying to decide if I’m in a bubble or those who post here are.

When the only people I hear taking about Desantis live in Florida, work for Fox or the National Review, or are suburban Republicans living in the bluest states, that makes me curious where reality lies.

My reality is I know 20 desertunners to every Druff or Daly, while hoping they’re right. I simply don’t think they are.

My position all along is Desantis would be crazy to run. It looks like he will, but it would likely be a mistake and it’s possible he comes to his senses before announcing. You can get behind Trump and enjoy the love of his people or run against him, likely lose, and then become irrelevant.

The added benefit is if Trump loses again, everyone says we should have went Desantis. He wins, you’re set up going forward to inherit his base. No brainer in your 40s. Trump will sing your praises the moment you drop out and endorse him.

I’m guessing he’s getting a ton of pressure from the big $ to run or else.

I think he’d have dropped the notion already if not for that. You get stomped by Trump they’ll forget you’re alive anyway. Have to resist and fight another day. Trump share of GOP base simply too big to beat. It’s his party.

He’s never had a chance unless Trump dies. I still have yet to meet some DeSantis die hard. Conservatives I’ve watched dip a toe into the water and say Desantis may be more electable promptly get that toe cut off by their own friends and called groomers. Talk radio around here, yard signs, social media, all Trump all day.

Load Metric
    Tough beat for that little weirdo but not a person alive could contend with the GOP cult and their golden cow.

Trump is also possibly the only candidate alive that Joe Biden can beat, so about 70% of the country will be voting for a candidate they loathe solely to avoid the alternative.

Tight country,
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Banned
    Load Metric
    President Donald J Trump moving back in the White House one year from today

Name:  CDEED7C1-FB4C-47A6-A0D3-2F7FA5057323.jpeg
Views: 243
Size:  897.9 KB

COPE HARDER

Comments

desertrunner: Correct.

Banned
    Load Metric

Banned
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Ron's issue was really he was so damn unlikable. Yes, he did a good job in Florida but any Governor is going to succeed in Florida because you have every advantage in the book, basically unlimited money coming in through tourism. Then you get an occasional Cat 4 hurricane and you can present yourself as a great leader.

Ron's biggest flaw was he got sucked into this Disney bullshit. Liberal or Conservative, everyone was wondering WTF was he doing. Fuck nobody cared, it was just a bizarre issue to wrap yourself around, basically an amusement park.

His biggest flaw in the end of all this was people just lost interest in him. If he disappears from the national stage for like a decade, he can re-emerge like Nixon did in 1968. People forget he is only 45, plenty of time to reinvent yourself. Grow a beard, get some grey hair and fire some shotguns in a TV ad and he will be back in business 2032.

Comments

desertrunner:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Ron's issue was really he was so damn unlikable. Yes, he did a good job in Florida but any Governor is going to succeed in Florida because you have every advantage in the book, basically unlimited money coming in through tourism. Then you get an occasional Cat 4 hurricane and you can present yourself as a great leader.

Ron's biggest flaw was he got sucked into this Disney bullshit. Liberal or Conservative, everyone was wondering WTF was he doing. Fuck nobody cared, it was just a bizarre issue to wrap yourself around, basically an amusement park.

His biggest flaw in the end of all this was people just lost interest in him. If he disappears from the national stage for like a decade, he can re-emerge like Nixon did in 1968. People forget he is only 45, plenty of time to reinvent yourself. Grow a beard, get some grey hair and fire some shotguns in a TV ad and he will be back in business 2032.
    This is mostly correct.

I disagree with your first statement about Florida. No state is naturally easy to run. Look at all the advantages California has, and yet Gavin Newsom has fucked it up in a million ways.

DeSantis did a GREAT job as governor of Florida -- until the end of 2022. He was conservative enough to appeal to Republicans, yet governed with common sense to where he won over many independents and moderate Democrats. He was also very effective at getting things done, and in handling disasters like hurricanes. That's why he shockingly won heavily blue Miami-Dade County, something thought to be impossible for a Republican gubneratorial candidate.

You are correct that his battle with Disney was ill-advised. I supported what he was doing in theory, and indeed Disney was unfair to him in how they nosed into his education bill and said false things, but it was bad optics what he did. Basically he punished them for speaking out against him, which is a horrible look if you've got Presidential ambitions.

His other problems include having some kind of social anxiety disorder (which unfortunately is not easily fixed), and running a horrible campaign. He announced his candidacy way too late, didn't take on Trump head on until deep into it, and abandoned what worked in Florida and tried to become More Right Wing Trump 2.0. Total fail.

I am surprised he's dropping out now. I had thought he and Haley would stay in for the max time, hoping something happened to Trump. Instead, it looks like he's waving the white flag and hoping to get back into the good graces of the MAGA people for '28. Oddly, he couldn't bring himself to endorse Trump without semi-bashing him in the statement. That's not gonna help his cause.

DeSantis needs to go back to what he was in 2021-2022. If he really wants to run in '28, he needs to kiss Trump's ass hard, and then hope for an endorsement for the next Presidential cycle. Of course, it's possible Trump loses in '24 and runs again in '28! He would still be younger than Biden is now.

Comments

desertrunner:

Banned
    Load Metric
    slightly off topic but this guy slam dunks it

https://twitter.com/4mischief/status/1749239334245458078

Banned
    Load Metric

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

This is mostly correct.

I disagree with your first statement about Florida. No state is naturally easy to run. Look at all the advantages California has, and yet Gavin Newsom has fucked it up in a million ways.

DeSantis did a GREAT job as governor of Florida -- until the end of 2022. He was conservative enough to appeal to Republicans, yet governed with common sense to where he won over many independents and moderate Democrats. He was also very effective at getting things done, and in handling disasters like hurricanes. That's why he shockingly won heavily blue Miami-Dade County, something thought to be impossible for a Republican gubneratorial candidate.

You are correct that his battle with Disney was ill-advised. I supported what he was doing in theory, and indeed Disney was unfair to him in how they nosed into his education bill and said false things, but it was bad optics what he did. Basically he punished them for speaking out against him, which is a horrible look if you've got Presidential ambitions.

His other problems include having some kind of social anxiety disorder (which unfortunately is not easily fixed), and running a horrible campaign. He announced his candidacy way too late, didn't take on Trump head on until deep into it, and abandoned what worked in Florida and tried to become More Right Wing Trump 2.0. Total fail.

I am surprised he's dropping out now. I had thought he and Haley would stay in for the max time, hoping something happened to Trump. Instead, it looks like he's waving the white flag and hoping to get back into the good graces of the MAGA people for '28. Oddly, he couldn't bring himself to endorse Trump without semi-bashing him in the statement. That's not gonna help his cause.

DeSantis needs to go back to what he was in 2021-2022. If he really wants to run in '28, he needs to kiss Trump's ass hard, and then hope for an endorsement for the next Presidential cycle. Of course, it's possible Trump loses in '24 and runs again in '28! He would still be younger than Biden is now.
    There are literally 10 reasons why he flopped, but the real reason is he was incapable of taking the MAGA message away from Trump. Given the immigration disaster at the border, it was always going to be Trump anyway. It's the issue that galvanizes the base and actually now Independents. Outside an anarchist or a severely infected TDS patient such as Jayjami I cannot imagine anyone thinking an open border is a positive development.

Load Metric
    DeSantis bailed before he got his ass kicked in his own state

He is/was irrelevant by any measure.

Load Metric
    I guess it's going to take more than marketing yourself as "Trump light" and Elon Musk promoting you on Twitter (X) to win the Republican nomination.

Load Metric
    I am not letting a grudge get in the way of voting for Trump. I still think Trump has problems in the general. He has some number, where that number has to be at least 33%, of the voters in the USA that wouldn't vote for him if he was the only person on the ballot. That is going to hurt his chances down the road.

That said - the mission is to get Biden the fuck out of the Oval as quickly as possible. Right/wrong/indifferent the person with the best overall chance at this point and time is Trump.

Time to focus on that truth and make it happen

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    Ive seen that argument comparing DeSantis to somebody running against an Incumbent. Even if that holds weight.

In 1976 Ford was the Incumbent and faced a challenger named Ronald Reagan. He went on to win the Nomination and the election in 1980 against Carter and relelected in a landslide in 84 against Mondale.

I wouldn't discount DeSantis in 2028 necessarily depending on who's running and who Trumps VP is. If, as alot suspect that Commiefornia shitpile pretty boy is the nominee in 2028 for the Dems it might very well require somebody like DeSantis to keep hold of the White House. (Not one for conspiracies but that debate on Fox was sure potentially an inkling for 2028).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    Ive seen that argument comparing DeSantis to somebody running against an Incumbent. Even if that holds weight.

In 1976 Ford was the Incumbent and faced a challenger named Ronald Reagan. He went on to win the Nomination and the election in 1980 against Carter and relelected in a landslide in 84 against Mondale.

I wouldn't discount DeSantis in 2028 necessarily depending on who's running and who Trumps VP is. If, as alot suspect that Commiefornia shitpile pretty boy is the nominee in 2028 for the Dems it might very well require somebody like DeSantis to keep hold of the White House. (Not one for conspiracies but that debate on Fox was sure potentially an inkling for 2028).
    This is classic recency bias.

We have no earthly idea what the world and domestic politics will be like 4 years from now. DeSantis has not proven to be the least bit consequential. We will see who appears downstream.

DeSantis will be just as awkward, a little uglier and likely a tad shorter.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

This is mostly correct.

Have to disagree if Trump doesnt win in 24 they will bury him in some gulag in 25 and beyond just like they have the J6 folks. He will die in prison if they win. The kangaroo farce of a legal proceedings are very clear. The NY case is exhibit 1A in that regard.

The left has so lost it defending that corrupt cunt Fani Willis for her actions with her lover as the 'special' prosecutor when the dude is an ambulance chaser with no real criminal law experience let alone as a prosecutor on any level I can find.

The left shitpiles on X only defense is deflect with bringing up Florida or Clarence Thomas whataboutism BS. Even if there is legitimate concerns (I have none) about Thomas it doesnt make what Fani Willis has done any less unethical and dare i say criminal as she essentially paid her lover hundreds of thousand of dollars for a farce investigation and directly benefitted herself from those payments with trips they took togetherl

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post

This is classic recency bias.

We have no earthly idea what the world and domestic politics will be like 4 years from now. DeSantis has not proven to be the least bit consequential. We will see who appears downstream.

DeSantis will be just as awkward, a little uglier and likely a tad shorter.
    Dont disagree at all 4 yrs could be huge. My point was some of these Trump Supporters have it in their minds that challenging a sitting President (which Trump isnt at the moment despite what they think) is a death sentence politically that was the extent of it. If you look at the actual delegate totals Ford might have been even fortunate to even win the nomination due to the relatively close count compared to some GOP conventions. (delegate count was 1121-1078 Ford Vs Reagan).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Republicans will need SOME candidate in 2028, unless Trump loses and chooses to run again (and is in good enough health to do so).

Primary season is only about 3 years away for 2028, believe it or not. I don't see any Republican superstar waiting in the wings right now. Nikki Haley will probably try again, but too much of the base hates her. She won't make it. DeSantis probably has the best shot for the '28 nomination right now, even though a lot can change.

So we might just get that Newsom/DeSantis 2028 contest after all. Benjamin is looking forward to voting in it.

Thread Information