I have a gift card to an online store that I am selling on eBay. These gift cards are not connected to me or anyone (like typical gift cards). This makes me an easy target for fraud, as these gift cards are essentially gift codes, and would be very hard to trace once stolen.

I have listed a few of these gift cards before without a problem.

The most recent one sold in a very suspicious fashion:

- Someone used my "buy it now" button for a ridiculously high price -- 98.5% of the gift card's value. I set it to such a value because I thought it would be easier to detect fraud this way. These gift cards typically go for 88-94% of value.

- The person requested the codes on the gift card instead of the cards themselves. I actually offered this as an option in the item description, but again it indicates a higher chance of fraud.

- The person paid me on Paypal immediately, but Paypal notified me that the payment is on hold for review.

- The Paypal came from a guy named Jimmy in Florida.

- The person communicating with me on eBay is named Michelle, and is from New York, according to eBay.

- The person just created their eBay account on September 30th, and has already made at least 8 purchases since then. They have good feedback, but this could easily be a future chargeback scam. You cannot leave bad feedback to a buyer on eBay (a big flaw, IMO).

- When I asked them to provide me with ID to prove they were the person listed on the Paypal, I got this indignant response:

If you'd like to cancel, feel free. I will leave appropriate feedback. I won and paid for the item immediately. I am both credit card AND bank verified on paypal (that alone took 3 days for the deposits to my bank). I will not share my driver's license with you and would gladly notify ebay if your attempted intrusion into my sensitive personal information which is clearly outside the scope of paypal's seller protection requirements.

you can either email the codes (as you offered) or mail them fedex to my address as listed. I do not trust them being in my mailbox while im at work.
Also interesting that someone who joined eBay on September 30th would know so much about PayPal's seller protection requirements.

So what do you think this person's angle is?

My guess is that they are buying up untraceable merchandise like these gift cards with their friend's Paypal account, and then will claim that they were "hacked" and both will split the proceeds.

Or something like that.

No way I'm sending this person the gift cards. Shady as hell.