Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPIRIT AIRLINES

Load Metric

Question SPIRIT AIRLINES

Looking to hear and share general information about them. I have never flown them, but assume I will some day, maybe out of desperation. I dont think Druff has flown them either, curious. Since they have a negative image, will they improve over time?

So any real life stories or experiences or recommendations?

Also, looks like their potenial merger was denied, interesting.

Spirit Airlines shares plunge after judge blocks JetBlue merger

Load Metric
    Spirit is in no frills a la carte Airline where you pay for everything including upgrades but cheap flights

Great for short flights <5-6 hours

(Flying with only backpack or one checked bag is ideal)

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by desertrunner View Post
    Looking to hear and share general information about them. I have never flown them, but assume I will some day, maybe out of desperation. I dont think Druff has flown them either, curious. Since they have a negative image, will they improve over time?

So any real life stories or experiences or recommendations?

Also, looks like their potenial merger was denied, interesting.

Spirit Airlines shares plunge after judge blocks JetBlue merger
    I think it's fine. The prices on tickets (compared to others) are substantially cheaper. I've flown a few different airlines and have never really seen it as a luxury experience, regardless of which carrier you choose. I've also never had a problem with the customer service at Spirit; of course, that's a very limited sample size.
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Load Metric
    I feel like i have posted this many times in many different airline/travel threads.

The absolute key to flying Spirit airlines is 2 things.

1. Never ever use them unless its non stop.

2. Shoot the lock off the wallet and buy “the big seat up front” seat upgrade.

1 should be obvious.

2 you get for a fraction of the normal cost a first class sized seat and may board first as well as be one of the first off the plane. It is the best value in north American travel and its so popular I cant understand why more airlines dont offer it (and charge more than they do….. because they would get away with it).

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: nice tip

Load Metric
    Ok so got the one big seat, where is mrs San going to sit? You mean the seat next to the aisle door. I could grin and bear it for a 3hour trip.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Daly is correct. If you are going to fly a shit airline like Spirit, at least spring for the (small) extra cost for the big seats in front. Huge value.

However, I am anti-Spirit, in general.

If you get the big seat, don't lose your luggage, and have no customer service fails, Spirit can end up a great value.

But if something goes wrong, take care. You're going to drive yourself crazy trying to get it resolved. I see complaints like this over and over on Facebook. "I've flied Spirit for the past 2 years with no issue, but this time I had a huge problem, and they won't fix it! I'm going nuts! Please don't fly them!!"

In general, I refuse to do business with companies who see their clientele as low class losers who can be abused and dismissed. That's how Spirit views you. You get similar treatment at discount cell service companies, discount hotels, discount cruise lines, and banking services aimed at poor people (such as secured credit cards). In all cases, the level of customer service you get is shockingly bad, and you feel subhuman when dealing with them. And any problem doesn't get solved. They know you won't go elsewhere. The attitude is, "If you could afford better, you wouldn't be doing business with us in the first place."

There is something to be said for paying for at least a reasonable level of customer service. Otherwise you're gambling with a huge hassle down the line.

I learned this same lesson with T-Mobile 20 years ago.

Comments

Mission146:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Daly's approach is not necessarily a bad one.

He's taking the "better to rule in hell than serve in heaven" line.

This is equivalent to getting a nice suite at an otherwise shitty hotel, instead of a basic room at a nice hotel. Or buying a big house in a not-so-great area instead of a small house in a good area. Or getting the most expensive model of a low-middle end car make rather than a midgrade model of an expensive make. You get the idea.

There is definitely value in doing the above. However, you need to be aware of the downsides when you're doing anything like this. Even when you have the top-level service from a company aimed at poorer people, you're still going to be treated like an asshole. If you're okay with that, and you enjoy the value you otherwise get, have at it.

I've tried that approach and decided it's not for me.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Daly is correct. If you are going to fly a shit airline like Spirit, at least spring for the (small) extra cost for the big seats in front. Huge value.

If you get the big seat, don't lose your luggage, and have no customer service fails, Spirit can end up a great value.

But if something goes wrong, take care. You're going to drive yourself crazy trying to get it resolved. I see complaints like this over and over on Facebook. "I've flied Spirit for the past 2 years with no issue, but this time I had a huge problem, and they won't fix it! I'm going nuts! Please don't fly them!!"

In general, I refuse to do business with companies who see their clientele as low class losers who can be abused and dismissed. That's how Spirit views you. You get similar treatment at discount cell service companies, discount hotels, discount cruise lines, and banking services aimed at poor people (such as secured credit cards). In all cases, the level of customer service you get is shockingly bad, and you feel subhuman when dealing with them. And any problem doesn't get solved. They know you won't go elsewhere. The attitude is, "If you could afford better, you wouldn't be doing business with us in the first place."

There is something to be said for paying for at least a reasonable level of customer service. Otherwise you're gambling with a huge hassle down the line.

Lets call it what it is, a gamble. If something goes wrong it turns into a gigantic headache. Two summers ago when the airline industry fell apart there were 4-5 low level southwest airlines employees out front getting yelled and screamed at. Over at the spirit counter they literally hid out back, left to go home a few hours early and hung a sign on the way out to try and tell everyone to call the 1-800 number (which nobody could get through too if you tried). They didnt care even one fuck about it. They don't get paid enough to listen to the worst customer base in the industry scream at them.

If things go sideways it goes downhil fast

*but*

If you do have to talk to someone at spirit do NOT call. Do NOT e-mail.

The absolute best way to deal with Spirit is via WhatsApp. They have a chat that asks you 4-5 questions and dumps you off to a agent that can help. If you do end up needing second level help the person in the chat room has access to the right people who can help you. That sort of support is next to impossible to get over the phone and it takes a long long time before they will connect you through. Try WhatsApp.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That's actually really useful advice about WhatsApp.

Reminds me of how some companies give you MUCH better support via Twitter than calling or e-mailing. Unfortunately, the days of good Twitter-based customer service are disappearing.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Advice from Bubba the love sponge when flying spirit is to mail your clothes to your destination vs paying their bag fee.

Seems like a hassle.

Load Metric
    Spirit roundtrip prices Miami---> Costa Rica (San Jose)

Name:  Miami2CR.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  84.3 KB

google.com/flights

Spirit has cheap flights

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Advice from Bubba the love sponge when flying spirit is to mail your clothes to your destination vs paying their bag fee.

Seems like a hassle.
    He also advises having Hulk Hogan watch over your house and wife while you're gone.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Fuck paying extra for the big seats in front! I'm flying Spirit for exactly one reason: It's dirt fucking cheap. Aside from paying for my coffee, I have absolutely no interest in spending an extra dollar with them. If you wanted to fly me out to Vegas, on Spirit, on your dime, and offered to pay for the big seats in front, I would ask you not to waste money like that.

I don't really have any luggage to worry about and have heard of these issues. I suppose there would be concerns about luggage were I not traveling alone, but if I am, then if it doesn't fit in my knapsack, I simply don't need it. I can get clothes cheaper than what they want to charge me for checked baggage anyway and just donate the clothes somewhere before I leave.

If Spirit views me as a low-class loser, then I have to say I emphatically disagree with them. I'm a moderately low class loser; I'm not strictly bottom-rung. If they view me as a moderately low class loser, then the fuck am I going to do? Argue with them? If I am flying with them because they are the cheapest airline, then why should I expect treatment as if I am flying with them for any reason than they are the cheapest? They are the cheapest; that is the sell. Customer service is not the sell, amenities are not the sell, quality is not the sell; they are the cheapest. If you're flying with them, then you are doing so because you want the cheapest and that's what they give you. That's all they have any duty to give you...and also generally get you to your destination alive.

It's not even strictly that they are the cheapest; they are often the cheapest by miles (lame joke). Honestly, if something like Southwest was $20 more expensive for the round trip, then I would choose that over Spirit. I'm not so cheap that I'm willing to sacrifice comfort for $20...which is really $12-$14 because I'd have to pay for Spirit's coffee.

With that, when you're talking about a difference of hundreds of dollars, then you get whatever you get and you should be damn well happy with it.

Also, what's wrong with T-Mobile? I love T-Mobile; they've been my provider for nearly a decade. I've never experienced anything short of top-tier customer service with them, cell phone rate is locked in for life and they give you free shit on Tuesdays...a few of the things have actually been useful. A free T-Shirt? Who doesn't like free clothes? I like anything I don't have to pay for. Let's see...a pair of gloves, a hat, umbrella, reusable shopping bags. The best part is we're on a two line plan and they give you two of everything.

ADDED: Yes; I probably am the cheapest son of a bitch alive. Druff can eat his heart out.

Comments

Sanlmar: +++++

Bilbodoggins: Seinfeld: "Just get me to where it says on the ticket. I don't care how you do it."
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post
    If Spirit views me as a low-class loser, then I have to say I emphatically disagree with them. I'm a moderately low class loser; I'm not strictly bottom-rung. [B]If they view me as a moderately low class loser, then the fuck am I going to do? Argue with them? If I am flying with them because they are the cheapest airline, then why should I expect treatment as if I am flying with them for any reason than they are the cheapest? They are the cheapest; that is the sell. Customer service is not the sell, amenities are not the sell, quality is not the sell; they are the cheapest. If you're flying with them, then you are doing so because you want the cheapest and that's what they give you. That's all they have any duty to give you...and also generally get you to your destination alive.

It's not even strictly that they are the cheapest; they are often the cheapest by miles (lame joke). Honestly, if something like Southwest was $20 more expensive for the round trip, then I would choose that over Spirit. I'm not so cheap that I'm willing to sacrifice comfort for $20...which is really $12-$14 because I'd have to pay for Spirit's coffee.
    You can distill the truth in a very funny way. 90 proof

I started bolding one sentence. Then added another and another. It’s all gold Jerry.

Comments

Mission146: Thanks!

Load Metric
    Its an Armani suit Jerry least you could do is buy me a dinner

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by FRANKRIZZO View Post
    Its an Armani suit Jerry least you could do is buy me a dinner

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    I feel like i have posted this many times in many different airline/travel threads.
    I did a quick search prior to posting and didnt see anything, sorry.

Load Metric
    Everything is subcontracted by Spirit. From aircraft maintenance to customer service. 1-800 and WhatsApp are likely two different companies. So yeah, results vary. No one particularly cares about Spirit per se.

Neither customer service outlet is likely U.S. Maintenance is prolly conducted in the same third world country.

The girl with the Spirit uniform and employee badge at the counter is likely a subcontractor too.

Even if you aren’t particularly religious you should take a moment before your flight.

Comments

Dan Druff: lol

have flown them 29 times. 28 times they have been on time or early and the one time they were late it was not their fault as there was a noreaster

I have been extremely lucky and if you read their rules it's pretty easy to figure out what to bring or not in terms of luggage ,

looking at flights on a Tuesday or Wednesday will give you the best price as their deals usually come out Tuesday morning.

yes , its definitely worth owning as a value stock if this is why you created this thread

also only book direct, but that should be a thing with any airline.

Load Metric
    Steal something with the Spirit logo. They will be bankrupt soon.

Thread Information