Thread: Proper playing style, high rake

Platinum
    Load Metric

Proper playing style, high rake

Thinking about playing at a Houston card room for fun but according to alpha1243s trip report the rooms all rake $10 vs the old time charge.

Without knowing anything about the players for at least a couple orbits…I assume a rock tight style would be best…?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Thinking about playing at a Houston card room for fun but according to alpha1243s trip report the rooms all rake $10 vs the old time charge.

Without knowing anything about the players for at least a couple orbits…I assume a rock tight style would be best…?
    In general, yes. You want to avoid playing a lot of small pots with a high % rake.

Is it a flat $10, or 10% up to $10? The latter isn't as bad, obviously.

It does of course depends on playstyle though. If the game is very passive, and they let you take control of hands, it's more lucrative to play that way than to wait for premiums.

Load Metric

Wait Im confused. I thought Texas card rooms could only charge seat rental based on the law thus essentially timed rake charge

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post

Wait Im confused. I thought Texas card rooms could only charge seat rental based on the law thus essentially timed rake charge
    That is what i always thought as well…his trip report said they raked the pot.

I went to on room today and they said the time charge is $5 per hour per player, they had these weird $5 chips that only the dealer touched…I really didn’t know how much they raked. Had to pay a lifetime membership fee.

Played some $1/$3 NLHE but it played much bigger due to some loose aggressive players. I thought the max buyin was $300 but everyone had more than that and guys were reloading for much more. I played tight as a drum and won $334. Was pretty card dead most of the time but then got AK 3 times in one orbit.

Every time a new dealer came in theyd play a PLO Bomb pot which I lost every time, no clue what hands are good in a bomb pot and wasn’t willing to risk $250 to see the river.

Place was surprisingly nice, free drinks and food for players and the food was legit. Druff would have grinded through 5 entrees for sure. Atmosphere was also good as everybody was watching the playoff games.

Comments

Ricky: Good trip report rep

Platinum
    Load Metric
    I always come out of wins like this with the delusion that I’m good at poker, literally one different river card and I’d have been busto.

Was down to $82 after the flop with KJ and I had top pair on the board, turn gave people a flush draw so I jam and get 3 callers…so I am screwed. River is a blank and I win.

So really, I am not that good but others are just dumb? Implied odds kept a couple players in?

That’s poker.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Also, when I say the food was legit…I saw guys eating steaks with grilled shrimp, grilled Salmon with rice, street tacos, tortilla soup.

Wish I had known before I went.

These dudes at the table tipped way too much to be long time winners, $50 tip is going to lead to busto ville my biggest tip was $10, yeah I’m cheap but $10 a hand to me is really good pay for the job.

The place must split the tokes between all workers and the place probably takes some as well.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Went back to the local card room and lost $45, table was much tighter this time.

Bought in for $160, super card dead for an hour, even joked with the guy who took the seat I thought I was going to get that moving to that seat vs the shitty one I got was the best decision he ever made. I flopped a Jack high flush in the BB and tripled up, but gave half of it back when I called a guys all in, I had AK he had AQ….Q on the flop…oof.

I got Quad Kings but couldn’t get paid off. Went almost bust when my trip 10s lost to a turned straight….reloaded for $100 more and had just ordered a steak so I figured I’d at least play tight until I ate. Steak was really good and I doubled back up when I flopped a full house with pocket 10s, the villain hit a full house on the turn but had 3 2s….he was the guy who almost busted and he apologized for his full house before seeing mine…haha.

They were clearly raking the pots, looked like $5 per.

I still haven’t won a single bomb pot…meh….If I had sat them all out I would have been a small winner.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also, when I say the food was legit…I saw guys eating steaks with grilled shrimp, grilled Salmon with rice, street tacos, tortilla soup.

These dudes at the table tipped way too much to be long time winners, $50 tip is going to lead to busto ville my biggest tip was $10, yeah I’m cheap but $10 a hand to me is really good pay for the job.

The place must split the tokes between all workers and the place probably takes some as well.
    Wait are you tipping $10 when you win pots???

There's no need for that, and it will eat you up quickly. Or am I missing something here?

Comments

garrett: $1 per pot won..

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Wait are you tipping $10 when you win pots???

There's no need for that, and it will eat you up quickly. Or am I missing something here?
    I tipped $10 on a $450 pot….normally I tip $2 on a decent pot $1 on a small pot and $0 on a shit pot….the tables exuberance got the better of me.

Thread Information