Thread: Vision Quest -

Load Metric

Vision Quest -

did anyone else here wrestle in the 80s in high school? Football was a joke by comparison. Hard stuff. Will never forget the lessons and work.

Just stumbled back across this movie on YT. my god, what memories of getting jacked up watching this before the season or a big meet. kids are so weak now. good flick for anyone interested in traveling down memory road of a better time in the 80s.

Banned
    Load Metric
    one of the greatest movies ever made

Comments

Tellafriend: gd better believe it

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Tyde, I love that actor in your clip, J.C. Quinn. He plays a good working-class avuncular alcoholic mentor type. I am a big fan of Vision Quest. It's an inspiring 80s sports movie with a great soundtrack. I like this opening sequence, with the voice-over "This is the year I make my mark."

Comments

Tellafriend: i forgot how great that clip is; makes me want to go run

Load Metric
    Great flick. Wrestling, dad moves a chick in to statutory rape you. Linda Fiorentino. She was hot in Vision Quest, but Last Seduction, just wow.

I didn’t wrestle. Started it a few times, but I was never an indoor sport kid. Running around that mat in heated wrestling room. Spitting in cups. I liked to party too much.

I’ve been immersed in that world for last five years with girls kids. Takes incredible discipline, and it’s religion in PA. If you’re the best in PA, it’s fairly likely you’re the best in the country.

You’re certainly amongst the best. Just constant trips all over, then to Tulsa or Iowa. Never anywhere desirable. All for a sport that, at best, you might get a scholarship from and a coaching job some day if you reach the top. Really have to love it.

The parents suck for the most part. Just a lot dumb people living vicariously through their kids. That’s true of all the sports I played also, but when you’re putting that much time and money into an under-appreciated sport, they are really off the hook. Fights at hotels at every other tourney. The kids wrestle hard and then are friends immediately after. The parents are trash.

Load Metric
    Linda was also hot as hell is another 80’s forgettable movie called “Gotcha” starring Anthony Edwards.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Linda was also hot as hell is another 80’s forgettable movie called “Gotcha” starring Anthony Edwards.

wow I forgot all about Gotcha that was a good movie too

Can we just reverse the clock about 30 years and get Hollywood back the basics when movies weren’t all CGI and woke bullshit ?

that would be just great

hard to believe we’ve fallen so far so fast

I can’t even remember the last time I went to the theater to see a new release

Load Metric
    I never even knew a wrestler until I was an adult. A fellow hockey parent and former college wrestler became a pal of mine. We spent endless hours over the years sitting in rinks watching our kids practice and swapping lies.

This guy wrestled HWT class in college on scholarship. Before the 90’s you had your weight classes but then there was unlimited heavyweight. My buddy is a scary big boy.

I can tell wrestling made him what he is today. The wrestling training stories are incredible. He has a discipline and matter-of-factness that makes for a unique guy. He shies away from nothing that is hard. It’s like he doesn’t feel pain. Reminds me of the character in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

He marries a little woman. She was a jock too but is 5’7” max. Their offspring were small. Don’t marry a little girl I always told my son.

Wrestler’s kid was phenomenal on the ice. The best kid year after year. That fucking kid worked hard too. How much was nature vs nurture is hard to say but his father was no nonsense and that family breathed competition.

The wrestler bought a place near us on the lake. I will get a phone call telling me he will be at my dock at 4:45am to go water skiing. “Oh, come on”, I think to myself. Can’t show weakness. Fun to punish my son though. Wrestler has been up since 3am for this. The lake is mirror smooth in the early hours before the recreational traffic.

I often can’t sleep the night before either. It’s gonna be intense. I’m not that good. He has a race ski boat. These things are purpose built. Nothing casual here. His little wife is a phenomenal water skier. Watching the huge ex wrestler on skis is wild too. So fucking strong.

We played hockey on backyard rinks with the kids and he could have ended my life with just one check.

Never saw the movies and they have never come up in conversation but I will now.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Madonna before she was a huge star in this one too.

Great movie. Lunatic Fringe is a great song.

Comments

Tellafriend: really is

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    I never even knew a wrestler until I was an adult. A fellow hockey parent and former college wrestler became a pal of mine. We spent endless hours over the years sitting in rinks watching our kids practice and swapping lies.

This guy wrestled HWT class in college on scholarship. Before the 90’s you had your weight classes but then there was unlimited heavyweight. My buddy is a scary big boy.

I can tell wrestling made him what he is today. The wrestling training stories are incredible. He has a discipline and matter-of-factness that makes for a unique guy. He shies away from nothing that is hard. It’s like he doesn’t feel pain. Reminds me of the character in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

He marries a little woman. She was a jock too but is 5’7” max. Their offspring were small. Don’t marry a little girl I always told my son.

Wrestler’s kid was phenomenal on the ice. The best kid year after year. That fucking kid worked hard too. How much was nature vs nurture is hard to say but his father was no nonsense and that family breathed competition.

The wrestler bought a place near us on the lake. I will get a phone call telling me he will be at my dock at 4:45am to go water skiing. “Oh, come on”, I think to myself. Can’t show weakness. Fun to punish my son though. Wrestler has been up since 3am for this. The lake is mirror smooth in the early hours before the recreational traffic.

I often can’t sleep the night before either. It’s gonna be intense. I’m not that good. He has a race ski boat. These things are purpose built. Nothing casual here. His little wife is a phenomenal water skier. Watching the huge ex wrestler on skis is wild too. So fucking strong.

We played hockey on backyard rinks with the kids and he could have ended my life with just one check.

Never saw the movies and they have never come up in conversation but I will now.

the guy sounds like a man's man. the kind of man we all want as a friend. i'm unsurprised he gravitated to you.

Comments

Sanlmar: Diversity

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Technically Heavyweight in Wrestling was never truly unlimited the limit was 285 at least when I did it. What's scary is they have a heavyweight class for girls now and its a whopping 235. Yikes those chicks must be about the size of Piper Niven or just a bit smaller then that gal in WWE in Nia Jaxx

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post
    Madonna before she was a huge star in this one too.

Great movie. Lunatic Fringe is a great song.
    The whole soundtrack is great, though I think they play the Madonna song 3 times.

Thread Information