Thread: Replacement referee's call leads to $725,000 payout on a $5 bet!!!

Load Metric

Replacement referee's call leads to $725,000 payout on a $5 bet!!!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--re...-a--5-bet.html

For millions of NFL fans the refereeing lockout is already ancient history, with the right men in the middle having returned to police Sunday afternoons with an iron, and thankfully precise, fist.

Replacement officials rule Golden Tate scores the winning touchdown against Green Bay. (AP)
    Yet while that sorry epidemic of blown class and red-faced moments is a thing of the past, a Canadian man will always have cause to remember those few weeks of mayhem with nothing but fondness.
    Gino DiFelice of Brantford, Ontario, turned a cheeky wager of $5 into the life-changing windfall of $725,254 when he correctly picked the outcome of 15 NFL games a week ago, with that 15th win coming courtesy of the highest-profile and most debated decision laid down by any of the stand-in refs.
    When the substitute crew controversially ruled that the Seattle Seahawks' Golden Tate had scored a game-winning touchdown to beat the Green Bay Packers, DiFelice secured a payout big enough to fund a few referees' retirement plans.
    As he collected his check from the Ontario gaming authority's headquarters, DiFelice didn't care that the majority of the viewing audience – the ones with functioning eyesight – believed the Packers' M.D. Jennings had secured a legitimate interception on the game's final play.
    Neither was the lucky winner's delight tempered by the fact that it was his 12-year-old daughter who provided the expert analysis needed to secure the blockbuster check.
    "When the play was under review I couldn't believe what was happening," he told reporters. "When the call was made, I went nuts. I ripped open the envelope.
    [Related: NFL Power Rankings: The Vikings continue their march toward the top 10]
    "Every week I do a ticket with my picks and then I ask my kids who they like. I do one ticket each with their picks. The winner was the ticket my daughter consulted me on. The funniest part is, the ticket I made all of the picks myself, I only got four right.
    "I watched the last 1:48 and that's about it. I couldn't watch the rest of the game."
    Tales of big wins on football bets are nothing new, with the heavy-hitters of the gambling world putting their money where their mouth is each week on the Vegas line. However, DiFelice's win is extraordinary because of his relatively small outlay, now worth around $5.08 U.S. dollars thanks to last week's slump in greenback value.
    Multi-game accumulators are allowed as part of the lottery system in Canada, with the money pooled together and distributed among any winners. DiFelice was the only winner that week and the payout was the third largest in the game's history.
    "Players use a card that list the games in the NFL that week and they have the chance to pick who they think will win," a spokesman for the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Commission told Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday. "The game has a 60-percent payout, so three dollars from every five goes into the prize pool. Obviously, the pool will be much bigger if there is a solo winner."
    So while the replacement officials have gone back to, well, wherever they came from in the first place, they will be largely forgotten and occasionally ridiculed in moments of nostalgia. Except for in the home of Gino DiFelice, for whom the silliest call of the NFL season was mightily welcome.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I want to hear the other side of this -- people whose lives were ruined by that blown call.

Load Metric
    They made the right call....The Packers lost....there is a heaven!!!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFFTURF View Post
    That "call" reminded me of this "call"

Name:  IMG_0404.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  426.3 KB

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I want to hear the other side of this -- people whose lives were ruined by that blown call.
    I doubt there will be many stories the other way. Such as this story a man turned $5 into $725,00, similarly, if other people are betting small amounts their lives will not be ruined by a blown call and losing $5. I doubt there are many people out there that unloaded a life changing amount of money on the Packers or in a parlay that included the Packers.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post
    I doubt there will be many stories the other way. Such as this story a man turned $5 into $725,00, similarly, if other people are betting small amounts their lives will not be ruined by a blown call and losing $5. I doubt there are many people out there that unloaded a life changing amount of money on the Packers or in a parlay that included the Packers.

Stupid question but did he simply have to be on the right side of the spread on every game to hit 725k from 5 dollars or was this a combo of hitting everyone and picking some big dogs to win.

I understand that going 15 for 15 is amazing in itself

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoney View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stamos View Post

Stupid question but did he simply have to be on the right side of the spread on every game to hit 725k from 5 dollars or was this a combo of hitting everyone and picking some big dogs to win.

I understand that going 15 for 15 is amazing in itself
    He went 15 for 15.

The way it works is your wager($5 in his case) gets multiplied by the odds consecutively for each game that you bet on. You have select at least 3 games to as many as you want, I'm not sure the max but it's obviously at least 15.

His bet would have worked like this & these numbers are just examples:

$5 X 1.75(Game 1 odds of this team winning)= $8.75
    $8.75 X 1.25= $10.94
    $10.94 x 1.3 = $14.22
    He could quit here I believe unless there is a game I'm not aware of that you have to pick all the games but he continued & did pick them all.

He kept on multiplying over 15 games until he reached $700+K.
    I also think the story is wrong, again unless it's a game I'm not aware of, in that if there are multiple winners they all get paid the $700+K and it's not split.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Hockey guy, I think he was playing the "pools" version.

You pick all the teams straight up no spread, and the person / people with the highest # share the prize pool. He was the only one with 15/15 so got the whole pool.

They pay out 60% of the prizepool, and keep 40% rake (ouch).

Load Metric
    lol lives ruined...
    Me defeating Druff 100 BB heads up - http://youtu.be/LmxTH0rZaLk?t=2h12m35s

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

You pick all the teams straight up no spread, and the person / people with the highest # share the prize pool. He was the only one with 15/15 so got the whole pool.

Okay, gotcha. See, this is a game I'm not aware of. 60% payout is pathetic that's for sure. Sport betting is hard enough. Sport Select or this pool thing is basically impossible to win.
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post

Okay, gotcha. See, this is a game I'm not aware of. 60% payout is pathetic that's for sure. Sport betting is hard enough. Sport Select or this pool thing is basically impossible to win.
    100% agree on that, the gov't turns sports betting into a lottery where few win.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFFTURF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Thread Information