Thread: Flashback 2009: Phil Hellmuth busts me with Qh2h under the gun, slowrolls me

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Flashback 2009: Phil Hellmuth busts me with Qh2h under the gun, slowrolls me

Go to 1:55:53

Note that this was fresh off the UB scandal. I tried to talk shit to Phil about it while the cameras were rolling. ESPN cut it, and also I was warned by the floor that I'd get penalized 20 minutes if I did it again. I was short stacked and obv couldn't afford such a thing, so I had to go quiet. That's why I almost didn't shake Hellmuth's hand on the way out, but realized at the last second that viewers likely wouldn't see the prior argument, and would see my refusal as bad sportsmanship.

Still not sure if the slowroll was Phil forgetting what he had (how could he though?) or if malicious (probably the latter, due to the UB trolling I did to him earlier).

At the 2010 WSOP, Phil came up to me in the hallway and said he didn't blame me for hating UB, but didn't want me to hate him. Was very shocked at the time that Phil gave a shit what I thought, given he was a huge name and I was a Z-list poker pro.

Comments

sah_24: Even Norm thought you got slowrolled

Load Metric
    How much did you get paid for the Maven VT patch.

I believe this was a training site lead by David "The Maven" Chikotski & Ari Engle right?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post

I believe this was a training site lead by David "The Maven" Chikotski & Ari Engle right?
    It was a training program. It was run out of The Maven's house. I went over and observed a little bit of it once. I was even offered to do it for free but I didn't bother. Wasn't interested enough in tournaments.

The Maven ended up not making it in poker, and now sells real estate in Texas. Nice guy though. Ari obviously has made it, and is a nomadic tournament player, who literally has no home.

I got paid $5k from The Maven and $5k from Doyle's Room, but had to pay $750 to the lol "agent" who was stalking the TV table and set me up with the Doyle's sponsorship. I was at first offered UB, but obviously turned it down, so then he offered Doyle's, which I accepted after checking with the Maven that it was okay with him.

I had an agrreement that Doyle's wouldn't pay me if I didn't get the patch on TV for more than X number of seconds, but 100% it well exceeded that, due to the hand above. Maven did not make me agree to this, and was paying no matter what.

Therefore, I had to wait until the TV broadcast before asking the agent for the $4250.

That agent, who was a sibling of someone still in poker (who I will be kind and not name), then slowpaid me. He was managing the payment so I couldn't just go to Doyle's about it. From what I remember, I believe they paid him and he was supposed to pay me (minus his $750). Weeks and weeks went by, and not only didn't I get paid, but the guy was acting increasingly annoyted that I was asking for it.

Finally, after about 2 months of no payment and no updates, I sent the guy a warning that I was about to blow up the story on NWP and expose him as a scammer if he didn't pay. Of course right then he quickly sent me the $4250. However, his sibling (someone in poker then, and stilll is now) told my then-girlfriend Miri that I was "threatening" them, which was of course bullshit. My only "threat" was to expose the lack of payment and lack of updates on the situation!

Still not sure if the dude had just chunked off my money or if he was just lazy. Either way, I wasn't going to let this go.

Maven paid his $5k right away. No issue with him at all.

When the whole thing was said and done, I recovered $9250 of the $10k buyin, so that was nice, given that I busted out of the $.

Gold
    Load Metric
    There is nothing worse than somebody owing you money and then acting annoyed when you ask for it

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post
    There is nothing worse than somebody owing you money and then acting annoyed when you ask for it
    The 2000s unfortunately featured a lot of shady characters on the fringes of the community. These people had no poker skill and couldn't make money through the game itself, but they attached to the community like leeches and found ways to make money from it.

I have no issue with people jumping on opportunities they find, but unfortunately a lot of these people were near broke and were extremely unreliable, to say the least. Pretty sure that was the case with this guy, who was like 25 and I'm guessing spent my money and then figured he'd dodge me for as long as possible. I wonder if he was even telling me the truth about the TV time requirement, or if this was some way for him to keep the whole thing for himself. Anyway it was moot because I got the required TV time, which he never disputed.

But yeah the guy and his sibling telling my girlfriend I was "threatening" them was complete bullshit, when the only "threat" was to expose what was going on.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AhoosierA View Post

That agent, who was a sibling of someone still in poker (who I will be kind and not name), then slowpaid me. He was managing the payment so I couldn't just go to Doyle's about it. From what I remember, I believe they paid him and he was supposed to pay me (minus his $750). Weeks and weeks went by, and not only didn't I get paid, but the guy was acting increasingly annoyted that I was asking for it.
    wow he slow paid you and then acted annoyed whenever you asked him about the money holy fuck what an everlasting cocksucker

Load Metric
    the balls on the guy taking weeks and weeks to pay you

Gold
    Load Metric
    Phil Hellmuth is the Top G

I read his book and really liked it, his life story is very interesting

I also used to like to Phil hellmuth interviews

Everyone criticizes him for being arrogant and he is but he is far more interesting than 99% of poker guys

I’m just here for entertainment

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post
    Phil Hellmuth is the Top G

I read his book and really liked it, his life story is very interesting

I also used to like to Phil hellmuth interviews

Everyone criticizes him for being arrogant and he is but he is far more interesting than 99% of poker guys

I’m just here for entertainment
    I’ve never found him interesting, good for some laughs but that’s about it. However, I haven’t read his book, any good anecdotes?

Gold
    Load Metric
    I read it years ago sitting by a pool on Flagler drive in west Palm beach

I can’t remember any specific details that stand out

It’s undeniably interesting to be the youngest wsop main event winner ever and a poker legend during the boom etc

These type of achievements come with interesting stories and associations

I read a couple of these poker memoirs all pretty good I like the degen style

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Hellmuth's strategy is timeless and still holds up well today. That Q2 hand notwithstanding.

He's good at getting people to trap themselves. In my case, there wasn't much trapping to be done because I had a set and was short stacked, but that's his general style. It's a defensive style which can be tough to counter if he has a good read on the situation. The best you can do against him is play cautiously.

Phil and I don't have a personal issue today, but we did at that table in 2009.

Thread Information