Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taylor Swift -- good or bad role model for girls?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Taylor Swift -- good or bad role model for girls?

There has been some debate on Twitter recently whether Taylor Swift is a good or bad role model for girls and young women.

The points raised in her favor:

- She is a self-made billionaire

- She is authentic, and had a big hand in writing her own songs

- She is known to treat her assistants/staff very well, and is friendly/accessible to fans

- She has a wholesome look, and her songs do not promote promiscuity, drug use, or any destructive behavior

- She will occasionally use her influence to stand up for the little guy, such as when she threatened to pull her music from Apple iTunes unless they treated small artists more fairly

The points against her:

- She is almost 33, childless, never married, and does not seem to be headed to settle down, despite having an insane amount of money already

- Her songs often present a depressing and sometimes hopeless look into romantic relationships

- Despite her wealth and fame, she somewhat projects a perpetual unhappiness and frustration with life

- She has sold out to the Hollywood left and started parroting left wing propaganda, after many years of staying outwardly apolitical

So it's an interesting debate. On one hand, she seems kind, hardworking, immensely successful, wholesome and empathetic -- all great attributes for a role model. However, she also comes with an underlying depression and negativity which isn't healthy to emulate.

I also felt she shouldn't have caved in to the critics demanding she speak up about left wing politics. There's no reason she had to do that, and you can tell she's doing it reluctantly and saying what her friends/colleagues want her to say. Someone so influential and powerful in the industry should have told the political critics to fuck off. I do believe she's probably naturally on the left, but it was clear for a long time that she did not want that to infect her public persona, yet here we are.

But that aside, I think she actually is a good role model -- at least by today's standards, where girls and young women could do a lot worse. I also think her string of failed relationships isn't necessarily a bad thing for people to see. It's better to keep trying relationships and terminating them when they don't work, than to marry quickly and then regret it later.

I do think her critics have a point that she brings somewhat of a depressing presence -- the kind of person who can simply never be happy no matter what good fortunes they find. That's not the best look for a role model, but nobody's perfect, and if that's the biggest knock against her, it's not too bad.

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    you typed 11 pages on this todge my god who is your target audience here put this on twitter or something like what are you doing

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    you typed 11 pages on this todge my god who is your target audience here put this on twitter or something like what are you doing
    Conversation starting is necessary to keep a forum going.

Many guys here have daughters, so I’m interested in their opinions.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    There has been some debate on Twitter recently whether Taylor Swift is a good or bad role model for girls and young women.

The points raised in her favor:

- She is a self-made billionaire

- She is authentic, and had a big hand in writing her own songs

- She is known to treat her assistants/staff very well, and is friendly/accessible to fans

- She has a wholesome look, and her songs do not promote promiscuity, drug use, or any destructive behavior

- She will occasionally use her influence to stand up for the little guy, such as when she threatened to pull her music from Apple iTunes unless they treated small artists more fairly

The points against her:

- She is almost 33, childless, never married, and does not seem to be headed to settle down, despite having an insane amount of money already

- Her songs often present a depressing and sometimes hopeless look into romantic relationships

- Despite her wealth and fame, she somewhat projects a perpetual unhappiness and frustration with life

- She has sold out to the Hollywood left and started parroting left wing propaganda, after many years of staying outwardly apolitical

So it's an interesting debate. On one hand, she seems kind, hardworking, immensely successful, wholesome and empathetic -- all great attributes for a role model. However, she also comes with an underlying depression and negativity which isn't healthy to emulate.

I also felt she shouldn't have caved in to the critics demanding she speak up about left wing politics. There's no reason she had to do that, and you can tell she's doing it reluctantly and saying what her friends/colleagues want her to say. Someone so influential and powerful in the industry should have told the political critics to fuck off. I do believe she's probably naturally on the left, but it was clear for a long time that she did not want that to infect her public persona, yet here we are.

But that aside, I think she actually is a good role model -- at least by today's standards, where girls and young women could do a lot worse. I also think her string of failed relationships isn't necessarily a bad thing for people to see. It's better to keep trying relationships and terminating them when they don't work, than to marry quickly and then regret it later.

I do think her critics have a point that she brings somewhat of a depressing presence -- the kind of person who can simply never be happy no matter what good fortunes they find. That's not the best look for a role model, but nobody's perfect, and if that's the biggest knock against her, it's not too bad.
    Shes a good role model for girls to aspire to in general. I wouldnt expect or suggest anybody be a role model for relationships too many variables out there and yeah she's proven she's a little emotionally unstable in the relationship department especially after some of the things she did with that Kennedy guy she was chasing after that bordered on stalking. Reality is though Druff some of the most artistic people have a history of mental illness challenges and I suspect shes among those. I mean look at Van Gogh dude cut his ear off due to unrequited love. Theres a fine line between passion and madness at times. Beethoven was well known besides being deaf of having signficant challenges as well as other well known classical composers. They use that energy be it positive or negative to be creative. I mean hell country music is filled with crazy relationship stuff. Its a running joke but it is somewhat true. Play a song backwards the guy gets his dog, his wife and his kids back.

Let me add one thing to this. Think about another well known musician. Self made billionare type. Dude is clearly got mental health challenges. Yeezy aka Kanye West aka Kanye or whatever hes going by today. Dudes a musical genius made himself and others filthy rich but hes definitely not somebody I would suggest use as a role model (and yes theres irony in me mentioning him considering the incident between him and Swift several yrs ago)

Load Metric
    Cause domestic bliss ain’t the recipe for writing hit songs.

Look at Adele.

You end up doing a Caesar’s residency in Vegas. No one wants that.

Tweener girls seem to have this instinct for what is kinda safe. At least they used to.

Load Metric
    sorry you want these idiots opinions i have a daughter she has some good songs get ur act together tbone this is beneath you

Load Metric
    also as someone who has a great forum at skatzpoker.com.org.edu all we have to do is come up with another way to call sonatine fat and we get pages in the admin forum thats where the rubber hits the road kid

Load Metric
    that and also calling you gay getsssssssssssss hits like been will pop out of nowhere with a todge thread where im like pretty sure we saw him eating noodles in a weird way bang 13 pages 12 dedicated to calling vaughn a pussy but you start it

Load Metric
    and thats literally how you run a forum dangeabell druffsina

Load Metric

Taylor Swift -- good or bad role model for girls?

I recently saw her do some hand slap dance with a friend at a football game after a team scored and it looked totally set up, immature and staged by the NFL. After that, totally lost any interest in Swift.

Load Metric
    rofl there you go druff thats the engagement you were looking for

Load Metric
    Does she fish?

Load Metric
    Bitch is an agent for the NWO.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Silver
    Load Metric
    Taylor Swift is a good role model for girls. She's not singing sex about sucking dick and fucking multiple guys at the same time because she's a whore, she's not singing about how money rules her world, Cardi B has songs celebrating being a whore and how money rules her world. Taylor's only real downfall is making songs about multiple failed relationships, but Adele also made an album that was basically all songs about her failed relationship. Dan you claimed her being childless at almost 33 is a point against her, but it really isn't. This isn't 1953 where a childless 32 year old Woman would be considered an old maid, society is now okay with 32 year old childless women. Heck, Janet Jackson was around 50 when she had her baby and no one really judged her for being a 50 year old first time Mom. Naomi Campbell was in her 50's when she had her children and no one really judged her either.
    People paid thousands of dollars for the Fyre Festival only to end up living like Refugees! I feel sorry for them! How could anyone NOT feel sorry for them?

Gold
    Load Metric
    I don't think she's either good or bad but there is no denying her talent and success. My daughters have been listening to her since they were little, little and now my youngest is 20 and they still love her. Even I can't help but sing along from time to time. She's probably the biggest music talent ever.

Load Metric
    Druff weren't you basically Taylor Swift 20 years ago (minus a couple 0's and right instead of left)?

-had success at poker. Won WSOP bracelet.
    -wealthy
    -childless, not married
    -no drugs, alcohol
    -occasionally uses influence when encountering bad customer service or helps people fight scandals in poker
    -sold out to the right and parrots right wing propaganda

Comments

BetCheckBet: You forgot fan of country music

dmndkutr: Does Druff want her to have a kid out of wedlock like he does? He would lose his shit.

Load Metric
    I get cardi b and Megan the stallion as more empowering role models.
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Have to imagine we'll be seeing some shifts in her persona to bolster her approval rate amongst the coveted 8th tier antisemitic hate forum demographic.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    rofl there you go druff thats the engagement you were looking for

holy shit, i snorted. that was good.

i can't believe this thread is here. my god todd

Comments

Pablo:

Load Metric
    I’m glad Druff made this thread because I’m curious about the (possible secret) contract between Swift and the NFL. Was there one? I do t follow Swift or the NFL, but I’f this was some fake deal, just curious.

Thread Information