Gold
    Load Metric
    "Predicting the Dodgers stats for Game 7 of the World Series

Ohtani - 2-5 with 2 homers
    Betts - 3-5 with 2 stolen bases
    Freeman- 3-5 with 3 extra base hits
    Kershaw - 2 1/3 innings 8 earned runs

Dodgers lose 10-7"

--The above is a tweet from one of the DFS guys I follow. I chuckled. I hope San would approve.

Load Metric
    The Dodgers and Shohei Ohtani agreed to massive a ten-year, $700MM deal over the weekend, but it was reported that there were significant deferrals. The deal still isn’t official but Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic relays some of the particulars today, most notably that $68MM of Ohtani’s $70MM annual salary will be deferred, leaving him making just $2MM per year in the short term. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043. This will reportedly reduce the CBT hit of the contract to around $46MM per year.
    This is fully within the current rules in the CBA, but I can only imagine the majority of owners will want something changing next time. This is definitely defying the intentions of the CBT, Ohtani's idea or not.

Not sure how other players would feel. Most probably indifferent. Some purist players probably not fans also. But Ohtani still gets his $700m, so the union as a whole probably supports it.

The Nationals have done deferred money deals for awhile now, but obviously nothing at this scale. Scherzer had half of his 210m deferred back in 2015, he's in the middle of getting it now. Last 2 years and this coming season, he takes in $58m a season in combined salary. The Nats got a ring from it so again....competitive balance issues.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    The Dodgers and Shohei Ohtani agreed to massive a ten-year, $700MM deal over the weekend, but it was reported that there were significant deferrals. The deal still isn’t official but Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic relays some of the particulars today, most notably that $68MM of Ohtani’s $70MM annual salary will be deferred, leaving him making just $2MM per year in the short term. The deferred money is to be paid out without interest from 2034 to 2043. This will reportedly reduce the CBT hit of the contract to around $46MM per year.
    This is fully within the current rules in the CBA, but I can only imagine the majority of owners will want something changing next time. This is definitely defying the intentions of the CBT, Ohtani's idea or not.

Not sure how other players would feel. Most probably indifferent. Some purist players probably not fans also. But Ohtani still gets his $700m, so the union as a whole probably supports it.

The Nationals have done deferred money deals for awhile now, but obviously nothing at this scale. Scherzer had half of his 210m deferred back in 2015, he's in the middle of getting it now. Last 2 years and this coming season, he takes in $58m a season in combined salary. The Nats got a ring from it so again....competitive balance issues.
    I haven’t looked into this

My reaction to the story is that my intuition that Ohtani has zero regard for money has been proven true.

Betts is going to make more money effectively than Ohtani after inflation. Duh, ok.

Cementing his legacy as the GOAT in the post season will guarantee whatever Shohei’s and all his future heirs’ dreams. His present salary is secondary. However, as long as it’s the Dodgers and you are at the firehose of unlimited dumb money why not drink?

I can guaranteee the agent who negotiated this didn’t defer his compensation.

No one will say it out loud but Ohtani has to be on the spectrum.

Comments

gut: lol I wonder if the agent can get the 10% of 700 off the top?
    Last edited by Sanlmar; 12-11-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Load Metric
    The deferred money -- totaling $680 million -- will be paid to Ohtani between 2034 and 2043, a source said.

He's 29 now, so will be collecting after he retires. I'm sure endorsements can keep him afloat in the mean time.

This will help the Dodgers spend some more money and add more division championships to their collection.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simpdog View Post
    The deferred money -- totaling $680 million -- will be paid to Ohtani between 2034 and 2043, a source said.

He's 29 now, so will be collecting after he retires. I'm sure endorsements can keep him afloat in the mean time.

This will help the Dodgers spend some more money and add more division championships to their collection.

Its bullshit. All they are doing is avoiding luxury tax. If they had to pay it near up front they would be paying him closer to $130M a year with the tax

Load Metric
    The AL ROY next year will be one of the most exciting chases ever.

Potentially

Jackson Holliday
    Junior Caminerio
    Kyle Manzardo
    Colson Montgomery
    Carson Williams
    Brooks Lee
    Evan Carter

Load Metric

I read somewhere that Ohtani made around $30m in endorsements last season, and the 2nd highest in all of MLB was Trout with like $7m.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post

Its bullshit. All they are doing is avoiding luxury tax. If they had to pay it near up front they would be paying him closer to $130M a year with the tax
    They would be paying him directly the $70m/yr, unless staggered. The CBT would depend on what they spent on the rest of the team, which we don't know yet.

Needless to say, we all know they are signing at least 1 starting pitcher to a hearty deal....and THAT contract may have actually cost them double had Ohtani not done this deferred shenanigans.

Load Metric
    lol i didnt think about this angle, we're all talking about Dodgers....dodging taxes....what about Ohtani? From a little op-ed thing on MLBTR a few mins ago:

Ohtani’s choice on deferrals gives the Dodgers payroll flexibility to add other players and may give him a tax benefit if he isn’t living in California when the $68MM salaries start rolling in.

Load Metric
    According to Ohtani’s agent Balelo the ONLY reason Ohtani is deferring compensation is to allow the Dodgers the opportunity to use the funds for player acquisition.

Not taxes or autism.

Contract language is specific as to how the savings are to be used.

An incredible gamble on the Dodgers in the hope of cementing himself as the greatest ever with the last piece of the puzzle - post season. He chose the club with singularly unique historic post season fail.

Of course, Ojtwni will be making less than Ausitn Barnes who Fraudman will no doubt keep despite his negative WAR.
    Gambling on Fraudman and the Dodgers with his only few years in the MLB is the height of lunacy.

Fraudman is about to cement his own legacy. I will be proven right at the expense of my love of Ohtani.

It’s all a damn shame

Ohtani and his agent should have signed with Atlanta. Who knew this loophole existed?

Can the contract be voided by MLB? I do not think it’s been inked. Let’s see.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    According to Ohtani’s agent Balelo the ONLY reason Ohtani is deferring compensation is to allow the Dodgers the opportunity to use the funds for player acquisition.

Not taxes or autism.

Contract language is specific as to how the savings are to be used.

An incredible gamble on the Dodgers in the hope of cementing himself as the greatest ever with the last piece of the puzzle - post season. He chose the club with singularly unique historic post season fail.

Of course, Ojtwni will be making less than Ausitn Barnes who Fraudman will no doubt keep despite his negative WAR.
    Gambling on Fraudman and the Dodgers with his only few years in the MLB is the height of lunacy.

Fraudman is about to cement his own legacy. I will be proven right at the expense of my love of Ohtani.

It’s all a damn shame

Ohtani and his agent should have signed with Atlanta. Who knew this loophole existed?

Can the contract be voided by MLB? I do not think it’s been inked. Let’s see.
    Atlanta?

You mean the big playoff chokers of the '90s and early 2000s, who once again are big playoff chokers, aside from one year?

Honestly they haven't been any better than the Dodgers, postseason-wise.

The Ohtani deferred payment news actually makes me feel better about his signing. First, it isn't fucking the team for the next decade, but instead does the reverse -- gives the Dodgers virtually free services from him during his tenure in LA, as well as time to plan to pay him off later.

Might this fuck the team somewhat when I'm in my golden years, watching the Dodgers front office prepare for 2043, at age 71? Possibly, but there's ways around this. They could even offer him ownership in the team at that point, in lieu of payment.

This is a MUCH better situation for Dodgers fans than what I thought -- 10 even payments of $70m per year, starting immediately, concurrent with Mookie's big contract, terminating near the same time. That would've sucked, especially about 5 years from now. This situation is much better.

Ohtani can also take up residence in another country starting 2034 (when he is assuming his career will be over anyway), and avoid taxes on this $700m. That's huge. He can avoid BOTH US federal income tax AND California income tax. Yes, resident aliens have to pay income tax on money earned in the US.

This deal benefits both Ohtani and the Dodgers. I do wonder if the US will change tax law regarding this matter, as it's a big loophole for athletes -- especially foreign ones -- to avoid paying US tax while playing for US teams.

I now believe there's a high chance they grab Yamamoto. They are also apparently talking about acquiring Tyler Glasnow from the Rays, who will make $25m in the final year with the Rays before he's a free agent. Glasnow has never pitched more than 120 innings, so I don't really love that plan, but I guess for one year, why not?

As it stands, the Dodgers only have 3 pitchers in the rotation -- Kershaw (maybe), Miller, and Pepiot, so they're 100% going to spend to improve that.

2024 is supposed to be the year they really go after it.

Comments

Sanlmar: Not one breath about inflation. Please fix

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Atlanta?

You mean the big playoff chokers of the '90s and early 2000s, who once again are big playoff chokers, aside from one year?
    Dodgers have surpassed the legendary Braves benchmark for postseason fail. It’s been quite an achievement. That you now appreciate the company the Dodgers keep is an achievement for you.

Last post season the Dodgers achieved historical fail. Like in the history of the sport. Another 100 win regular season and another humiliation.

Don’t belittle the Dodgers post season run. It’s singular and it’s special.

Of late, the Braves (2021 World Series Champions) are a vastly superior team operating under better management.

1988. Landing Ohtani and still getting no ring will make the Dodgers streak as playoff chokers one that will never be touched in any sport.

Yes Atlanta

Load Metric
    I think it is important for you, Druff, to maintain the perspective that this is something Ohtani has chosen to do for the Dodgers.

This is not some stroke of genius executed by the Dodgers organization. This is a strategy or a gamble made by Ohtani. The Dodgers are the passive beneficiaries.

Accept your gift and see if Fraudman fucks it up.

Load Metric
    Joe Kelly switching to #99 this year, to free up #17 for Ohtani.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers reported to have acquired Tyler Glasnow and Manuel Margot for Ryan Pepiot and Jonny Deluca.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Dodgers reported to have acquired Tyler Glasnow and Manuel Margot for Ryan Pepiot and Jonny Deluca.
    This is one of the worst trade ideas I’ve ever heard if the goal is 2025 and beyond

I bet this isn’t true

Maybe Pepiot made a bigoted remark.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

A post shared by on

https://instagram.com/p/C0x8dI5OGY7/

Maybe this could be in the mix too.

Just posted tonight.

Load Metric
    Ohtani only taking small % next 10 years (deferred) wont pay Taxes on it, very smart and Dodgers on board

Ohtani's young nice long-run play here, well played

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1734598490527855072

Thread Information