Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Ohtani 1-for-1 trade for Trout right now, who says no?

I think Druff would say yes.
    Its becoming clear Trout is a curious kink of yours. Hey, I got mine too.

Your imperfections make you more endearing sweetie

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Ohtani 1-for-1 trade for Trout right now, who says no?

I think Druff would say yes.
    Its becoming clear Trout is a curious kink of yours. Hey, I got mine too.

Your imperfections make you more endearing sweetie
    More a baseball economics kink, thank you.

Ohtani now could quickly become the worst contract in baseball, and hardest to trade...at least being that year 1 he is a $70m DH.

Stanton has 4 more years with Yanks, that's actually the worst. Trout probably 2nd, though you could argue any of the Padres big contracts. Ohtani in top 10 now though.

EDIT:somehow forgot Rendon, Yelich, and Bryant. Point still remains.

Comments

Sanlmar: Made me chuckle. Funny. More sir

Load Metric
    leeeeets goooo doyers the fucking tickets are gonna be stupid when he comes to town against az next year but im going

Load Metric
    todge buy benji a little a and pm dog on the way to the stadium or hit those mexicans up for peanuts when youre pulling into parking this is awesome

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lol wow View Post
    leeeeets goooo doyers the fucking tickets are gonna be stupid when he comes to town against az next year but im going
    Gonna knock you out of first place?

Load Metric
    plz its doyers por vida snakes were a great side story this year but we back up

Load Metric
    700m is fucking crazy. Even crazier, he might be worth it.

Please keep Prior far away.
    I don’t want to say this too loudly but $70m is gonna look like $35m before you know it with long term inflation.

The Dodger owners had to approve Fraudman’s deal - they are insurance guys and that world is all about managing funds. They know things.

I’m still gonna ride the Dodgers nuts
    Word is deal involves deferred comp. It’s post inflation money. Guggenheim knows things

Fraudman is an idiot but the $700m is Guggenheim and they aren’t as dumb

Load Metric

I don’t want to say this too loudly but $70m is gonna look like $35m before you know it with long term inflation.

The Dodger owners had to approve Fraudman’s deal - they are insurance guys and that world is all about managing funds. They know things.

Word is deal involves deferred comp. It’s post inflation money. Guggenheim knows things

The Lerner strategy. Nationals are paying Scherzer and Strasburg til like 2035.

Gay sex

Comments

lol wow: heard that dude is all in on this

Silver
    Load Metric
    todge buy benji a little a and pm dog on the way to the stadium or hit those mexicans up for peanuts when youre pulling into parking this is awesome
    Pricing at Dodger Stadium is already crazy. I think it’s $30 to park. I bought a polish sausage and a coke it was $25. No cash is accepted in the stadium so once you whip your card out they literally ask you how much you want to tip them. The tall Modelo cans are $16.00 each.

A friend of mine buys one of the 1/2 season ticket plans. His seats are decent but not spectacular. When he goes to games, however, he pulls up one of those sites that show the available seats and offer last minute pricing. He sits in better seats that haven’t been sold yet. As soon as it shows the seats have been sold he moves along. He says he usually lasts until the 5th or 6th inning in much better seats.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    Pricing at Dodger Stadium is already crazy. I think it’s $30 to park. I bought a polish sausage and a coke it was $25. No cash is accepted in the stadium so once you whip your card out they literally ask you how much you want to tip them. The tall Modelo cans are $16.00 each.

A friend of mine buys one of the 1/2 season ticket plans. His seats are decent but not spectacular. When he goes to games, however, he pulls up one of those sites that show the available seats and offer last minute pricing. He sits in better seats that haven’t been sold yet. As soon as it shows the seats have been sold he moves along. He says he usually lasts until the 5th or 6th inning in much better seats.
    $30 to park was 2013 in Boston. Is that a Newsom subsidy? He’s always thinking of you guys.

Load Metric
    saaaaaaaaallllllllllllll

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

I think they're expecting to get some BACK via merchandising and increased general interest in the team.

So it's not the same as just spending $700m to make the team better.

Still, this contract is gonna be real painful if he gets injured or declines early due to said injuries.

Also, keep in mind the Dodgers will be paying $102,500,000 to a 40-year-old Betts and a 38-year-old Ohtani in 2032.

These long contracts are a real danger, especially to injury-prone players like Ohtani. Betts at least has a fair chance of still playing effectively into his late 30s (though at 40 I assume he'll be pretty bad, if not released by then).

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post

Tell your friend that he should stop buying season tickets, and just bring up Stubhub 4-48 hours before the game, and he'll get a much better deal (and way way more flexibility). And he won't have to play these seat hopping games, which I used to also play when I was much younger.

Dodgers Stadium is so big (56,000 seats) that there's always good deals to be found on Stubhub, including in the best locations to sit.

Those last minute deal sites actually suck. For his purpose (identifying unsold seats) they're fine, but they're basically pretending like they're giving people a bargain when in reality the price has just fallen anyway.

Here is a blog I wrote in 2017 about getting cheap MLB tickets (especially the Dodgers) which still applies today: https://toddwitteles.com/blog/2017/1...model-is-dead/

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Prices do suck at Dodger Stadium itself though.

Parking prices are terrible, though you get a discount if you buy in advance on dodgers.com. I always get preferred parking so at least I'm guaranteed not to be pushed to the dreaded Lot 15, which is far, uphill, and you can get stuck there.

Food prices also suck. I bring my own little snacks, but I also buy a Dodger Dog for both me and Benjamin, and usually a hot pretzel for each of us too. They only let you bring food/water in clear plastic bags, which is annoying. I take gallon Ziplok bags and mostly fill them with water bottles. I'll buy some ice cream type thing if it's a hot night, though I try to avoid going if the weather sucks, and in the spring it's never hot at night.

Still costs a good deal of $$ to go, between the tickets, food, and the parking, but I get about as good of value as possible on the tickets, which are the biggest expense, and we always sit in some of the best seats in the house.

Some games I get great seats at the same price as what others paid to sit in RF or the bleachers. It's all about having a feel for the market and looking for outlier cheap tickets, and not panicking and fearing a sellout. It will never sell out on the secondary market.

Load Metric
    Mookie playing in late 30’s What?

Mookie’s wheels will never last that long. He’s already showing signs.

He’s going to second which is technically loss of value when he was signed by Dodgers at record money as a gold glove outfielder with a bat. Now he’s … well… a second baseman. I guess that helps the wear and tear

Value really isn’t the point though, is it?

Although, I have an intuition I might be wrong about Mookie at 2nd base.. Nothing makes sense at the moment.

2 year window on this crew - 3 max. We said it really was win now last year. I’m not hedging.

I said last year that I don’t care about Ohtani’s longevity. I don’t think it’s important to his legacy or anything else. He plays hard and he does it all. Hair on fire.

That is like beating on your sports car. But you didn’t buy the sports car to get great mileage.

All we need to see is Ohtani in the playoffs a few times and he’s locked as greatest ever. It’s the Dodgers though. How fucked up talking about Dodgers playoffs and greatness.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Mookie playing in late 30’s What?

Mookie’s wheels will never last that long. He’s already showing signs.

He’s going to second which is technically loss of value when he was signed by Dodgers at record money as a gold glove outfielder with a bat. Now he’s … well… a second baseman. I guess that helps the wear and tear

Value really isn’t the point though, is it?

Although, I have an intuition I might be wrong about Mookie at 2nd base.. Nothing makes sense at the moment.

2 year window on this crew - 3 max. We said it really was win now last year. I’m not hedging.

I said last year that I don’t care about Ohtani’s longevity. I don’t think it’s important to his legacy or anything else. He plays hard and he does it all. Hair on fire.

That is like beating on your sports car. But you didn’t buy the sports car to get great mileage.

All we need to see is Ohtani in the playoffs a few times and he’s locked as greatest ever. It’s the Dodgers though. How fucked up talking about Dodgers playoffs and greatness.
    Mookie doesn't need to play gold glove defense into his late 30s or steal bases. He just has to continue hitting well. I could see him managing that.

Ohtani it is hard to believe will hold up 10 years, or anywhere near that, especially if the Dodgers try to pitch him, which will greatly hasten his body's wear and tear. It's been a very long time since a pitcher also swung the bat 4-5 times per game on his "off" days. Not easy, no matter how talented or athletic you are.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Oh, and Joe Kelly, who is returning to LA, has agreed to give up #17.

Load Metric
    shutup todge this is gonna be great

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Oh, and Joe Kelly, who is returning to LA, has agreed to give up #17.
    Ohtani probably offered that 500k that would have been in the option....

Thread Information