Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

Load Metric
    Montgomery is this generations Jack Morris. Not flashy, not cool, just goes out and gives quality innings and wins games.

Would be my main target right now if wanting a SP.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Yamamoto is fools gold. Think a smaller Kikuchi. Would be very Dodger-ish to spend 17m/yr on a 5th starter. He is an appetizer until Sasaki can be posted.
    I think Druff is probably a reflection of current LA fandom by virtue of Facebook groups and such. I find that interesting.

Yamamoto is a real thing out there. This is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Focus on Yamamoto, who is young and might really be something special. Then try to cobble together some starters around him, maybe Jordan Montgomery.
    I respect Druff and I love the Dodger conversation. I’m not being mean.

Load Metric
    On a more serious note.

Mariners trading Jared Kelenic to the Braves is beyond interesting and despite being a Braves admirer I have absolutely no understanding what just happened.

Mariners gave him away.

Do you think …… gosh, I hope not. Sad face

Comments

gut: Hmmmmm right?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    On a more serious note.

Mariners trading Jared Kelenic to the Braves is beyond interesting and despite being a Braves admirer I have absolutely no understanding what just happened.

Mariners gave him away.

Do you think …… gosh, I hope not. Sad face
    Mariners have been washing away their bad contracts so far this winter. Kelenic as bait for the Braves to take Gonzales and White. Suarez to AZ.

Mariners cry poor and say theyre not in on Ohtani. But they are REALLLY acting like they are in. Like i said last season, don't discount the pull of Ichiro.

Ohtani and his Yakuza-like secrecy helps spawn these ideas. I have no read on where he winds up. But the Mariners would be my long shot pick if its not one of the obvious locations.

Load Metric
    Ohtani and his Yakuza-like secrecy
    Dave Roberts is still alive

(SNL Chevy Chase - Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead)

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They said Pedro Martinez was too small, too, and he was shipped off to Montreal for Delino DeShields.

He is far better regarded than Kikuchi ever was.

Maybe his size will be an issue in MLB, maybe it won't, but he has monster numbers in Japan so far.

There also isn't much this year as far as available top flight pitching. That's the other issue. And the Dodgers aren't rebuilding -- they basically semi-tanked 2023 so they can go all in for 2024 and the following few years. Their winning of 100 in the process was accidental.

(BTW, I split this off into a new 2024 thread, since this is all we're discussing now.)

Load Metric
    They said Pedro Martinez was too small, too, and he was shipped off to Montreal for Delino DeShields.

He is far better regarded than Kikuchi ever was.

Maybe his size will be an issue in MLB, maybe it won't, but he has monster numbers in Japan so far.

There also isn't much this year as far as available top flight pitching. That's the other issue. And the Dodgers aren't rebuilding -- they basically semi-tanked 2023 so they can go all in for 2024 and the following few years. Their winning of 100 in the process was accidental.

(BTW, I split this off into a new 2024 thread, since this is all we're discussing now.)
    The age difference between Pedro and Yamamoto is roughly equal to the difference between Pedro and Koufax. Just putting the generational difference in context. Comparing eras never makes me comfortable.

Pedro was bigger - you wouldn’t think that’s possible. It was a different time. A 6’5” pitcher woulda been a an odd sight in 1999. Now it’s routine.

Pedro was a freak. Lincecum was “The Freak”. Maybe Dodgers wanna bet $250m untested you gotta another freak on your hands.

I hope the Dodgers land him. It’ll be fun to see what happens

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Here's the problem.

The Dodgers showed what happened in the playoffs when they had no starting pitching. It went as badly as one would expect.

They will suffer the same fate in '24 unless they do something now. Urias isn't coming back to the Dodgers -- or maybe to MLB. Gonsolin is going to miss most of 2024, and may be useless when he returns. May is going to miss about half of the season, and again may not be particularly effective (or stay healthy) when he returns.

That again leaves Kershaw, young Bobby Miller, and young Ryan Pepiot. That's it. Maybe Buehler if he comes back as himself.

Let's say they add Jordan Montgomery, who by the way is probably going elsewhere. That's not going to get it done. It's a start, but not enough.

They really need two starters they can trust, unless they get lucky with Buehler's return, or if Miller/Pepiot both develop into reliable guys who won't fall apart in the postseason.

In the meantime, Eduardo Rodriguez, who strangely rejected the trade to the Dodgers in midseason 2023, has signed with the Dbacks.

The Dbacks have the rotation the Dodgers wish they had, with Zac Gallen, Merrill Kelley, Eduardo Rodriguez, and young Brandon Pfaadt.

The Dbacks still don't have a very good offense, but they have the playoff ready rotation, and the Dodgers do not. This is why it's worth taking a chance with Yamamoto.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Here's the problem.

The Dodgers showed what happened in the playoffs when they had no starting pitching. It went as badly as one would expect.

They will suffer the same fate in '24 unless they do something now. Urias isn't coming back to the Dodgers -- or maybe to MLB. Gonsolin is going to miss most of 2024, and may be useless when he returns. May is going to miss about half of the season, and again may not be particularly effective (or stay healthy) when he returns.

That again leaves Kershaw, young Bobby Miller, and young Ryan Pepiot. That's it. Maybe Buehler if he comes back as himself.

Let's say they add Jordan Montgomery, who by the way is probably going elsewhere. That's not going to get it done. It's a start, but not enough.

They really need two starters they can trust, unless they get lucky with Buehler's return, or if Miller/Pepiot both develop into reliable guys who won't fall apart in the postseason.

In the meantime, Eduardo Rodriguez, who strangely rejected the trade to the Dodgers in midseason 2023, has signed with the Dbacks.

The Dbacks have the rotation the Dodgers wish they had, with Zac Gallen, Merrill Kelley, Eduardo Rodriguez, and young Brandon Pfaadt.

The Dbacks still don't have a very good offense, but they have the playoff ready rotation, and the Dodgers do not. This is why it's worth taking a chance with Yamamoto.
    Well take solace in the fact that the Dodgers will 100% be signing Max Fried after this season and stealing away another Atlanta Braves fan favorite. I wish I could find odds and bet on which team Max Fried signs with after this season as it’s definitely going to be the Dodgers.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Max Fried's injury profile was concerning in 2023. He made 14 starts.

If he doesn't come back the same guy, or if he can't stay healthy in 2024, his value will be much less. He's been excellent since 2020, but those injuries can change things fast.

Load Metric
    Carlyle Group founder David Rubenstein is in talks to acquire the Baltimore Orioles, according to a report from Gillian Tan of Bloomberg.
    Huge news if it happens. No team in baseball is better setup to immediately spend an extra $50 million or so on payroll.

Its a delight whenever I picture John Henry and Steinbrenner sitting there wondering how their teams became the bottom-feeders of the division. I wonder if they even recognize that yet.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Max Fried's injury profile was concerning in 2023. He made 14 starts.

If he doesn't come back the same guy, or if he can't stay healthy in 2024, his value will be much less. He's been excellent since 2020, but those injuries can change things fast.
    He’s been a million times more durable than Jacob Degrom who signed for 5/185. Fried is getting paid either way. And it’s going to be by the Dodgers. Hopefully he wins another WS Ring with Atlanta this year first.

Load Metric
    And it appears the Toronto Blue Jays have won the Ohtani sweepstakes.

Maybe…..

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

Maybe…..

Not doubting the possibility, but I won't believe anything until official word. These writers are grasping at straws.

OMG HE FOLLOWED LOGAN WEBB ON INSTA, MUST BE BECOMING A GIANT

Load Metric
    To Dodgers for 10/700. Staggering amount of $.

Comments

Sheesfaced: Insane considering he’s coming off 2nd TJ

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I’m going on record saying this is a mistake.

You don’t pay $700m for any player, especially not one who is 29 years old with an injury history.

I can only imagine what they’re going to charge for a Dodger Dog now.

Load Metric
    Druff has taught me that Friedman is the savvy deal maker and never overpays so I assume this is a bargain.

Even with the lol 13% California state income tax ($75m premium?) this is nowhere close to the next offer.

I can’t wait. Dodgers have been a constant source of humor for PFA

Dodgers will insure this to the hilt cause Dodgers pitching coaches

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post

Maybe…..

Not doubting the possibility, but I won't believe anything until official word. These writers are grasping at straws.

OMG HE FOLLOWED LOGAN WEBB ON INSTA, MUST BE BECOMING A GIANT
    I participate every year in MLBtraderumors FA prediction contest. Number 1 I just went with the ploppy pick:
    Name:  Screenshot_20231209-124429.png
Views: 84
Size:  140.9 KB

700m is fucking crazy. Even crazier, he might be worth it.

Please keep Prior far away.

Load Metric
    Ohtani 1-for-1 trade for Trout right now, who says no?

I think Druff would say yes.

Load Metric
    700m is fucking crazy. Even crazier, he might be worth it.

Please keep Prior far away.
    I don’t want to say this too loudly but $70m is gonna look like $35m before you know it with long term inflation.

The Dodger owners had to approve Fraudman’s deal - they are insurance guys and that world is all about managing funds. They know things.

I’m still gonna ride the Dodgers nuts

Thread Information