Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    The Orioles have confirmed yesterday’s reports on a sale of the team, announcing Wednesday that a group of investors led by billionaire David Rubenstein of the Carlyle Group private equity firm has purchased the control stake of the team from the Angelos family for $1.725 billion. Notably, former control person John Angelos will remain a “major investor” in the club and will serve as a senior advisor to Rubenstein in his new role. The transaction values the Orioles franchise and assets at $1.725 billion dollars, per the team’s press release on the ownership shakeup.
    I am ignorant on any personal details of Rubenstein. If he is a "fan" and wants to spend and win, watch out. Orioles should be the next Astros.
    Well, guessing that the timing of the sale was not a coincidence, as they immediately trade 2 marginal (marginal to the O's at least) and a pick for 1 year of Burnes. Burnes has already stated he won't sign an extension with anyone, wants to test the market.

O's still have the prospect depth to acquire another ace if they want. They might not need it if G-Rod makes a leap this year.

Yankees vs Orioles will be fun to watch this year. Stars-n-scrubs vs a full 25-man roster of talent and depth. Rays will somehow find a way to win the division.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Dodgers shipped out Margot before he played a game for them... so they could bring back Kike' Hernandez.

They also sent some cash to Minnesota to help deflect some salary, and they got this good defensive SS (plus another SS prospect) in return:

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1762242144151142852

In other news, Kodai Senga, one of the few bright spots for the 2023 Mets, is having issues with his shoulder, and has been shut down for a minimum 3 weeks.

And Jose De Leon, who played in MLB from 1983-1995, died at age 63. De Leon had 201 K in 1989 for the Cardinals, back when high strikeout totals weren't as common. However, he also lost 19 games in both in 1985 and 1990.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Dodgers shipped out Margot before he played a game for them... so they could bring back Kike' Hernandez.

They also sent some cash to Minnesota to help deflect some salary, and they got this good defensive SS (plus another SS prospect) in return:

https://twitter.com/ChadMoriyama/status/1762242144151142852

In other news, Kodai Senga, one of the few bright spots for the 2023 Mets, is having issues with his shoulder, and has been shut down for a minimum 3 weeks.

And Jose De Leon, who played in MLB from 1983-1995, died at age 63. De Leon had 201 K in 1989 for the Cardinals, back when high strikeout totals weren't as common. However, he also lost 19 games in both in 1985 and 1990.
    The Dodgers actually included a SS prospect as well. Consider the trade as basically Margot, Doncon, $6m for Kike', Miller.

Neither of the prospects currently have especially bright futures, unless they start hitting. Both of them have been playing above their age level though, so perhaps it will come.

Load Metric
    You can also read through the lines and see exactly how this trade happened. Kike' let it leak a few days ago that he had offers from 4 teams, the Twins were one of them, the Dodgers were not. Dodgers really didn't have room for him without shedding a non-optionable player. Its obvious Kike' likes playing for the Dodgers, and obviously the Dodgers like him. Dodgers have no ties to Margot, that was eating salary in the Glasnow trade.

So kike' presumably lets Dodgers know he was gonna sign with Minny for 1/$4. Minny is primarily looking for a 4th OF who can play CF. Dodgers Call Minny and say you can have Margot and we'll pay him down to, whattya know, 1/$4! Then they hammer out a prospect swap they feel is equitable and there is the trade.

Load Metric
    Well at least the Red Sox are consistent.

78 wins in 2022. 78 wins in 2023.

Maybe they can go for a trifecta?

Offense doesn't look that bad. Hell, maybe Vaughn Grissom will finally break out after being mishandled for 2 years in Atlanta.

But the pitching... oy vey. Right now they don't have a single starter whose ERA computer-projects under 4.28.
    My guess (and my $$) is going to say they going to finish last in the AL east again.

They are going to sell off the rest of what they got by the break and bring up Mayer, Roman and Teel. They will
    Keep the 3 other kids in tbe lineup.

I have no idea how they solve the pitching problems. They need an entire rotation

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    You can also read through the lines and see exactly how this trade happened. Kike' let it leak a few days ago that he had offers from 4 teams, the Twins were one of them, the Dodgers were not. Dodgers really didn't have room for him without shedding a non-optionable player. Its obvious Kike' likes playing for the Dodgers, and obviously the Dodgers like him. Dodgers have no ties to Margot, that was eating salary in the Glasnow trade.

So kike' presumably lets Dodgers know he was gonna sign with Minny for 1/$4. Minny is primarily looking for a 4th OF who can play CF. Dodgers Call Minny and say you can have Margot and we'll pay him down to, whattya know, 1/$4! Then they hammer out a prospect swap they feel is equitable and there is the trade.
    Sounds logical.

Kike' and the Dodgers just kinda belong together. I don't blame him for taking the bag to play for the Red Sox, but he was never a starting caliber player. He's a utility guy with some power and very streaky hitting. He can deliver big clutch hits, and he can also go for long stretches as an automatic out. He and Chris Taylor have some similarities, except Kike' has a bombastic personality and Taylor is quiet.

Everyone was surprised to see Kike' end up back with the Dodgers, though, because the Dodgers were showing zero interest in re-signing him. I think they realized the team needed some personality, as their stars are big on stats but all on the quiet side.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Well at least the Red Sox are consistent.

78 wins in 2022. 78 wins in 2023.

Maybe they can go for a trifecta?

Offense doesn't look that bad. Hell, maybe Vaughn Grissom will finally break out after being mishandled for 2 years in Atlanta.

But the pitching... oy vey. Right now they don't have a single starter whose ERA computer-projects under 4.28.
    My guess (and my $$) is going to say they going to finish last in the AL east again.

They are going to sell off the rest of what they got by the break and bring up Mayer, Roman and Teel. They will
    Keep the 3 other kids in tbe lineup.

I have no idea how they solve the pitching problems. They need an entire rotation
    Yup. You look around the AL now and play "which teams are clearly worse than Boston"....White Sox, A's, Angels....Royals maybe? Tigers might have 5 starters I'd rather have over any Red Sox starter.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    So I got access to the Dodgers opening day presale.

Was considering either going or selling them BACK on Stubhub.

What a fucking fail. Nosebleeds were $188 before fees, and shitty field seats were like $307.

Right now you can get better deals on Stubhub than at the official team presale, which is disgraceful because secondary market prices are always crappy when far in advance.

Waaaaaaaaaay too fucking greedy for Dodgers to be selling $188 nosebleed tickets at face for a regular season game.

I passed on it. I'll go to a game when the hype dies down.

What a fucking fail. Nosebleeds were $188 before fees, and shitty field seats were like $307.

Right now you can get better deals on Stubhub than at the official team presale, which is disgraceful because secondary market prices are always crappy when far in advance.

Waaaaaaaaaay too fucking greedy for Dodgers to be selling $188 nosebleed tickets at face for a regular season game.

Don't see that hype dying down for a while.

I admit, I was bummed when he left the Angels. Angels games were different when Ohtani was there. I saw him hit a few hrs and wow the place was insane. I didn't see him pitch and I definitely fucked up on that

Load Metric

I was thisclose to buying a couple of tickets for me and my brother. I went through the ordering process and was within a millimeter of hitting the submit order button. I haven't missed too many opening days, but I just couldn't pull the trigger on this one. I may be the ultimate sports fan, but I'm no sucker.

Load Metric
    Elderly Mookie Betts named shortstop.

I dunno why the alledged smartest organization is still performing improvisation at the third most important position in baseball.

Lux and Turner on the left side of the billion dollar payroll was just stupid. Why is Friedman attending to his infield now? Ive written countless posts about Turner and Lux defense. Fraudman not a listener? When did the Lux problem become apparent to him?

When all is said and done this is the correct move. Dodgers like to load manage their stars but its win now.

Fun

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

I dunno why the alledged smartest organization is still performing improvisation at the third most important position in baseball.

Lux and Turner on the left side of the billion dollar payroll was just stupid. Why is Friedman attending to his infield now? Ive written countless posts about Turner and Lux defense. Fraudman not a listener? When did the Lux problem become apparent to him?

When all is said and done this is the correct move. Dodgers like to load manage their stars but its win now.

Fun
    “We don’t need a good defensive shortstop”, said no baseball coach, at any level, ever.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

Fun
    Kike' starts 80 games at SS, o/u?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Speaking of 80 games....

Noelvi Marte, currently ranked #40 or so regarding MLB prospects, got an 80-game suspension for roids.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...g-positive-ped

Marte had a pretty good run last year, hitting .316 in 35 games.

This helps me fantasy-wise, as it not only takes Marte out for one of my opponents who got to keep him in "rookie" status, but it will get more at-bats for Christian Encarnacion-Strand, who I have for $1.

The Reds are hoping to win the (still weak) NL Central, via their young core of hitters such as Friedl, Steer, De La Cruz, Strand, and McClain. Marte was part of that group until his suspension. They added Jeimer Candelario in the offseason, who was going to play 1B, 3B, and DH, but now will mostly be at 3B due to Marte's suspension.

The Reds pitching still looks weird, with an inconsistent-looking rotation. Their best pitcher, Hunter Greene, strikes out a ton of people, but otherwise has issues consistently putting up zeroes.

Load Metric
    Speaking of 80 games....

Noelvi Marte, currently ranked #40 or so regarding MLB prospects, got an 80-game suspension for roids.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...g-positive-ped

Marte had a pretty good run last year, hitting .316 in 35 games.

This helps me fantasy-wise, as it not only takes Marte out for one of my opponents who got to keep him in "rookie" status, but it will get more at-bats for Christian Encarnacion-Strand, who I have for $1.

The Reds are hoping to win the (still weak) NL Central, via their young core of hitters such as Friedl, Steer, De La Cruz, Strand, and McClain. Marte was part of that group until his suspension. They added Jeimer Candelario in the offseason, who was going to play 1B, 3B, and DH, but now will mostly be at 3B due to Marte's suspension.

The Reds pitching still looks weird, with an inconsistent-looking rotation. Their best pitcher, Hunter Greene, strikes out a ton of people, but otherwise has issues consistently putting up zeroes.
    Its a tall order, but if the Reds can just get 2 starters to take a jump forward, they should have that division.

IMO

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    In the "players who don't know when it's time to hang it up" category, we have Joey Votto.

He's 40 years old and just signed a minor league deal with Toronto. He played in MLB from 2007-2023. Despite back-to-back seasons hitting just over .200, he still has a .294 career average, 356 HR, and and a .920 OPS.

He believes that his 2022 surgery is what held him back, but in reality he's 40 and it's just time to sit down.

Load Metric
    In the "players who don't know when it's time to hang it up" category, we have Joey Votto.

He's 40 years old and just signed a minor league deal with Toronto. He played in MLB from 2007-2023. Despite back-to-back seasons hitting just over .200, he still has a .294 career average, 356 HR, and and a .920 OPS.

He believes that his 2022 surgery is what held him back, but in reality he's 40 and it's just time to sit down.
    Maybe he got that Pujols workout.

Load Metric
    Padres trading 4 prospects for Cease. San Diego must have the most schizophrenic front office....

LETS SIGN ALL THE SHORTSTOPS

TRADE FOR SOTO

TRADE SOTO

TRADE FOR CEASE

their marketing team should start a campaign called "Wanna see a whole different looking .500 team?!?! Buy tix today"

Load Metric
    Of every five tickets StubHub has sold to Dodgers games this year, one has been bought by a fan IN Japan.
    Thats wild

The Shohei Ohtani Effect: Dodgers ticket prices are soaring, both home and away
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other...ay/ar-BB1jXsiA

ascetic /ə-sĕt′ĭk/
    noun
    A person who renounces material comforts and leads a life of austere self-discipline, especially as an act of religious devotion.

Ohtani got married to a retired Japanese basketball player. Ohtani has led a monk-like existence to this point in his life. This is not hyperbole. It will be interesting to see how his Beatles-like fame, Los Angeles, the Dodgers, money and married life change him… cause it will change him.

Name:  IMG_8134.jpeg
Views: 48
Size:  91.2 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I warned Benjamin about this.

I told him, "Not only are we not going to opening day, we probably aren't going for at least a few weeks".

Fortunately it's an 81-homegame season, so there's plenty of time for the novelty to die down, and the prices to return closer to normal.

I'll be monitoring Stubhub on day-of-game just in case, especially during the week, as perhaps I'll find an outlier pair of tickets.

Usually the way it goes is this:

<pick Ben up from school>

"Ben, would you like to go to a Dodgers game soon?"

"Yes."

"Would you like it to be today?"

"YES!"

"That's good, because I bought tickets while you were at school."

Thread Information