Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 429

Thread: *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

  1. #1
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    10243
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55,109
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    72727075

    *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2024 Thread

    Max Muncy re-signed for 2 more years, at a pretty good price, of $12 million each.

    He hit 36 HR again. In 4 of his past 5 full seasons, he's hit either 35 or 36 HR. However, he's not hitting for average at all, at .196 and .212 in the past 2 seasons. His defense has also taken a step back, so he will probably DH unless they sign Ohtani.

    Muncy is not young, despite his first full MLB season being 2018. He will be 33 1/2 when the next season starts.

     
    Comments
      
      Sanlmar: Assembling thet post season roster now. $25m for Kershaw next

  2. #2
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Craig Breslow hired to be head of baseball ops for Red Sox, which by itself is a nothing-burger of a story. Whats fascinating, to me, is the people they asked to interview who declined:

    Derek Falvey, Kim Ng, Jon Daniels, James Click, Michael Hill, Sam Fuld, Brandon Gomes, and Mike Hazen are among the prominent executives who have declined to interview for the Red Sox job
    Now half of that list is what you expect, Former heads or current assistants. The 3 that stand out are Falvey, Click, and Hazen....CURRENT heads of ops for the Twins, Blue Jays, and D'Backs!

    Does this current shitshow of Red Sox ownership actually still think their organization is a top-flight destination for any exec??? Everyone saw the throwing of Bloom under the bus.

    They had more people turn them down than actually interview.
    I was trashing L’Chiam Bloom before the first pitch was thrown this year. Bloom and Fraudman are the only two that I targeted.

    As MLB cognoscenti were aware, Red Sox ownership and management were roundly boo’d when that idiot took the stage at the Spring Fanfest. I am not alone and really not as loud as some.

    Bloom was the first fired - and it was done BEFORE THE SEASON ENDED. Do I really have to enumerate his shortcomings?

    Funny Bloom was a Fraudman disciple. C’mon laugh with me.

     
    Comments
      
      Dan Druff:

  3. #3
    Platinum Jayjami's Avatar
    Reputation
    913
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Above Gaza
    Posts
    3,294
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Max Muncy re-signed for 2 more years, at a pretty good price, of $12 million each.

    He hit 36 HR again. In 4 of his past 5 full seasons, he's hit either 35 or 36 HR. However, he's not hitting for average at all, at .196 and .212 in the past 2 seasons. His defense has also taken a step back, so he will probably DH unless they sign Ohtani.

    Muncy is not young, despite his first full MLB season being 2018. He will be 33 1/2 when the next season starts.
    Do you think we can get Corey Seager back too lol?

  4. #4
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Craig Breslow hired to be head of baseball ops for Red Sox, which by itself is a nothing-burger of a story. Whats fascinating, to me, is the people they asked to interview who declined:

    Derek Falvey, Kim Ng, Jon Daniels, James Click, Michael Hill, Sam Fuld, Brandon Gomes, and Mike Hazen are among the prominent executives who have declined to interview for the Red Sox job
    Now half of that list is what you expect, Former heads or current assistants. The 3 that stand out are Falvey, Click, and Hazen....CURRENT heads of ops for the Twins, Blue Jays, and D'Backs!

    Does this current shitshow of Red Sox ownership actually still think their organization is a top-flight destination for any exec??? Everyone saw the throwing of Bloom under the bus.

    They had more people turn them down than actually interview.
    This is not my take but I have to give it grudging respect.

    It's because of Cora's insight. He's not just a manager and everyone knows it. They are almost grooming Cora to take a front office role, and I think many declined because of that. Bringing in Breslow, who has ties to Boston and a previous relationship with Cora is a great move in that aspect.

    Don’t foul this discussion with trash can nonsense. Allow yourself to appear to be a functional adult in the real world. tia

  5. #5
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    741
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,627
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Now even the Dodgers are penny-pinching. They had a 9.5m option to bring back the Joe Kelly Experience, with a 1m buyout. They buy him out. Now, they re-signed him for 1 year 8m. A whopping 500k savings.

    Friedmans got Dave Roberts searching for change in the clubhouse sofas. Anything to tack on to that Ohtani offer.

  6. #6
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Now even the Dodgers are penny-pinching. They had a 9.5m option to bring back the Joe Kelly Experience, with a 1m buyout. They buy him out. Now, they re-signed him for 1 year 8m. A whopping 500k savings.

    Friedmans got Dave Roberts searching for change in the clubhouse sofas. Anything to tack on to that Ohtani offer.
    I enjoy every one of your baseball posts.

    the joe kelly experience. Lol

    I do enjoy a good Friedman story.

  7. #7
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    10243
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55,109
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Now even the Dodgers are penny-pinching. They had a 9.5m option to bring back the Joe Kelly Experience, with a 1m buyout. They buy him out. Now, they re-signed him for 1 year 8m. A whopping 500k savings.

    Friedmans got Dave Roberts searching for change in the clubhouse sofas. Anything to tack on to that Ohtani offer.
    Kelly is the same age as Kershaw.

    Strange but true.

    They seemed to want to bring some personality back to the team, as the three main names associated with the club (Friedman, Betts. Kershaw) are all quiet guys.

    They got Kike' back from the Sawks, and then they grabbed Kelly.

    Kike' isn't back yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they sign him, as well. He's popular with the fans, as is Kelly ever since he threw at Carlos Correa and mouthed off at him.

    He can still be very effective if going well, but not sure if that's going to decline during his age 36 season.

    It is funny how they declined his option just to re-sign him for $500k less than had they picked it up. I'm guessing they took an "if he leaves, he leaves" attitude and tried to save a few million, and then ended up only saving $500k/

    There's talk about bringing back Justin Tuner, but I don't see where there's room for him if they sign Ohtani or bring back JD Martinez.

  8. #8
    Platinum Jayjami's Avatar
    Reputation
    913
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Above Gaza
    Posts
    3,294
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Now even the Dodgers are penny-pinching. They had a 9.5m option to bring back the Joe Kelly Experience, with a 1m buyout. They buy him out. Now, they re-signed him for 1 year 8m. A whopping 500k savings.

    Friedmans got Dave Roberts searching for change in the clubhouse sofas. Anything to tack on to that Ohtani offer.
    Kelly is the same age as Kershaw.

    Strange but true.

    They seemed to want to bring some personality back to the team, as the three main names associated with the club (Friedman, Betts. Kershaw) are all quiet guys.

    They got Kike' back from the Sawks, and then they grabbed Kelly.

    Kike' isn't back yet, but it wouldn't surprise me if they sign him, as well. He's popular with the fans, as is Kelly ever since he threw at Carlos Correa and mouthed off at him.

    He can still be very effective if going well, but not sure if that's going to decline during his age 36 season.

    It is funny how they declined his option just to re-sign him for $500k less than had they picked it up. I'm guessing they took an "if he leaves, he leaves" attitude and tried to save a few million, and then ended up only saving $500k/

    There's talk about bringing back Justin Tuner, but I don't see where there's room for him if they sign Ohtani or bring back JD Martinez.
    Rumor on the street is that the Dodgers are making a play for Trout, not Otani.

  9. #9
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Rumor on the street is that the Dodgers are making a play for Trout, not Otani.
    Why would the Dodgers pay Trout $400m for Center Field (part time) if they have a young Outman for $400m less.

    Trout’s playoff experience - that last great Dodger hurdle and boogie man?

    It’s stupid so it’s in Friedman’s wheelhouse. He’s all about summer fun and filling seats. I wouldn’t.

  10. #10
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    741
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,627
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Rumor on the street is that the Dodgers are making a play for Trout, not Otani.
    Why would the Dodgers pay Trout $400m for Center Field (part time) if they have a young Outman for $400m less.

    Troutís playoff experience - that last great Dodger hurdle and boogie man?

    Itís stupid so itís in Friedmanís wheelhouse. Heís all about summer fun and filling seats. I wouldnít.
    Yeah I highly doubt that is real.

    Trout has barely any trade value right now. He's played in less than 50% of the possible games over the last 3 years, and his production has naturally tailed off because of the injuries. He's owed another 7 yrs/260m for his age 32-38 seasons.

    There's something to be said about his fame level..."spend money to make money" and etc. Dodgers don't need that, they always have stars.

    I wouldn't trade Outman 1-for-1 for Trout right now. Greatest player of a generation, but that time has seemingly passed.

  11. #11
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    741
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,627
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Sports Guy Simmons has a category in his NBA trade value columns he calls something like "he's worth more to us than to you" and those tend to be aging stars with a big fanbase. That is basically Trout/Angels right now.

    Ignore the fact that I probably spent half this thread last season making fun of Angels ownership/front office. But lets assume Ohtani signs with a team outside of the greater LA area. Maybe Friedman does take a stupid swing, and even offers like Outman + 2 decent prospects.

    Moreno probably says no in a heartbeat. Trout only thing left putting butts in seats.

  12. #12
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Sports Guy Simmons has a category in his NBA trade value columns he calls something like "he's worth more to us than to you" and those tend to be aging stars with a big fanbase. That is basically Trout/Angels right now.

    Ignore the fact that I probably spent half this thread last season making fun of Angels ownership/front office. But lets assume Ohtani signs with a team outside of the greater LA area. Maybe Friedman does take a stupid swing, and even offers like Outman + 2 decent prospects.

    Moreno probably says no in a heartbeat. Trout only thing left putting butts in seats.
    That’s some stupid I didn’t even consider.

    To be clear, are you calling Trout the greatest player of a generation? He never played in the playoffs just to start off the argument.

    Maybe “one of” a group of elite talent

  13. #13
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    741
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,627
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Sports Guy Simmons has a category in his NBA trade value columns he calls something like "he's worth more to us than to you" and those tend to be aging stars with a big fanbase. That is basically Trout/Angels right now.

    Ignore the fact that I probably spent half this thread last season making fun of Angels ownership/front office. But lets assume Ohtani signs with a team outside of the greater LA area. Maybe Friedman does take a stupid swing, and even offers like Outman + 2 decent prospects.

    Moreno probably says no in a heartbeat. Trout only thing left putting butts in seats.
    That’s some stupid I didn’t even consider.

    To be clear, are you calling Trout the greatest player of a generation?
    For the previous decade at least. 2010's its hard to argue anyone else was more dominant. Kershaw I suppose pitching would be the closest.

  14. #14
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post

    That’s some stupid I didn’t even consider.

    To be clear, are you calling Trout the greatest player of a generation?
    For the previous decade at least. 2010's its hard to argue anyone else was more dominant. Kershaw I suppose pitching would be the closest.
    Oh, ok. Kershaw grade regular season “great”. There is a category for that.

    We will never know how he would stack up against the best in the playoffs. It’s not his fault entirely. But we don’t know. Trout never seemed to committed to finding out how he would stack up either. Ohtani does - bet your life on that.

    We had that question resolved with Kershaw.

    I was a Trout guy when Harper and Trout came out. Harper is more important to his generation.

  15. #15
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayjami View Post
    Rumor on the street is that the Dodgers are making a play for Trout, not Ohtani.
    Dave Roberts apparently violated the one simple condition Shohei’s team requested. Dodgers are out.


  16. #16
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    10243
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55,109
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    72727075
    I hope the Dodgers brick the Ohtani pursuit. Would be the best thing to possibly happen to them.

    Their two big spends recently were relatively safe ones -- Mookie and Freddie. Mookie's contract might suck on the back end, but he should at least produce throughout most of it. Dude was #2 in MVP voting in 2023, and Freddie was #3, so you can't complain there, even with their playoff choking.

    Ohtani is a disaster waiting to happen. Why is a 2-way player so exciting if he's going to cost the same as two excellent single-way players? And he does nothing to address the Dodgers' biggest 2024 need -- starting pitching.

    How often did you watch the 2023 Dodgers and say, "Wow... if only they could hit better..."

    The offense basically won them 100 games despite failpitching.

    So what's the solution? More offense and the prayer that player can pitch well after a series of major injuries? Oooooooooooook.


    Dodgers should let Ohtani walk, and not even consider always-injured Trout.

    Focus on Yamamoto, who is young and might really be something special. Then try to cobble together some starters around him, maybe Jordan Montgomery.

  17. #17
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    I hope the Dodgers brick the Ohtani pursuit. Would be the best thing to possibly happen to them.

    Their two big spends recently were relatively safe ones -- Mookie and Freddie. Mookie's contract might suck on the back end, but he should at least produce throughout most of it. Dude was #2 in MVP voting in 2023, and Freddie was #3, so you can't complain there, even with their playoff choking.

    Ohtani is a disaster waiting to happen. Why is a 2-way player so exciting if he's going to cost the same as two excellent single-way players? And he does nothing to address the Dodgers' biggest 2024 need -- starting pitching.

    How often did you watch the 2023 Dodgers and say, "Wow... if only they could hit better..."

    The offense basically won them 100 games despite failpitching.

    So what's the solution? More offense and the prayer that player can pitch well after a series of major injuries? Oooooooooooook.


    Dodgers should let Ohtani walk, and not even consider always-injured Trout.

    Focus on Yamamoto, who is young and might really be something special. Then try to cobble together some starters around him, maybe Jordan Montgomery.
    I completely agree with you. (except Yamamoto)

    I’m conflicted on the subject of Ohtani going to the Dodgers.

    The Sanlmar that enjoys seeing the team annually ordained “best team in baseball” fail wants to see Ohtani signed to a $500m contract in LA.

    The Sanlmar who has soaked in every moment appreciating the greatest player of my lifetime play wants Ohtani to go to a team that will go deep in the playoffs and cement Ohtani’s legacy forever. I’m sure he would crush the post season. The post season run needs to happen quickly for him too.

    There ought to be a court ordered restraining order preventing the Dodgers pitching coaching staff within 500’ of his injured arm. It’s a human rights issue.

    I don’t subscribe to the metric of needing a decade to somehow be important. Sadly, I don’t think Ohtani will last that long. That’s ok. I am still thunderstruck by Bo Jackson.

    Ohtani is not going to the Braves. Would be spectacular but his salary would screw up every previous signing. He would be 2x Acuna, for instance. I think Albies would finally snap. Etc.

  18. #18
    Owner Dan Druff's Avatar
    Reputation
    10243
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55,109
    Blog Entries
    2
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Why don't you agree about Yamamoto?

    I actually drafted him as a reserve keeper in fantasy before anyone knew who he was. This will pay off big time in 2024 -- provided he goes to the NL, as it's an NL-only league!

    Do you not think he's real? He's completely and totally dominating in Japan, and is young, so he has many good years ahead. Perhaps he will come to MLB and get crushed, but I really do think he is going to end up the third best Japanese player to come to MLB, behind Ohtani and Ichiro.

  19. #19
    Plutonium Sanlmar's Avatar
    Reputation
    4357
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    21,388
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Why don't you agree about Yamamoto?

    I actually drafted him as a reserve keeper in fantasy before anyone knew who he was. This will pay off big time in 2024 -- provided he goes to the NL, as it's an NL-only league!

    Do you not think he's real? He's completely and totally dominating in Japan, and is young, so he has many good years ahead. Perhaps he will come to MLB and get crushed, but I really do think he is going to end up the third best Japanese player to come to MLB, behind Ohtani and Ichiro.
    I haven’t dug deep tbh.

    He’s likely 5’9” 175lb. (adjusted for inflation). He’s Lincecum except Lincecum was from another era. College pitchers are all 6’4” and above now.

    He appears not to be a power pitcher. He’s a craftsman. The Dodgers would find it irresistible to get out the weighted balls and break this kid too.

    I think your first year could be a real learning curve. Careful with fantasy

    For some number obviously he’s valuable. The Dodgers have endless resources. Maybe value isn’t the issue. Dodgers obviously have (desperate?) pitching issues. For most teams it’s not wise.

    I heard a funny comp to current Japanese Bauer somewhere. I was amused.

  20. #20
    All Sorts of Sports gut's Avatar
    Reputation
    741
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    4,627
    Load Metric
    72727075
    Yamamoto is fools gold. Think a smaller Kikuchi. Would be very Dodger-ish to spend 17m/yr on a 5th starter. He is an appetizer until Sasaki can be posted.

     
    Comments
      
      Sanlmar: Not gonna lie. I was anxious to read your take.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2020 Thread
    By mulva in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 462
    Last Post: 12-12-2020, 12:25 AM
  2. *** OFFICIAL 2020 MLB THREAD ***
    By GambleBotsChafedPenis in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2020, 10:18 AM
  3. ***OFFICIAL MLB 2016 THREAD***
    By gut in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 173
    Last Post: 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM
  4. ****Official MLB Thread****
    By BCR in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 99
    Last Post: 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM
  5. *** OFFICIAL *** MLB 2012 Thread
    By Dan Druff in forum Flying Stupidity
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-27-2012, 07:35 PM