Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Mechanics In The House ?

Banned
    Load Metric

Any Mechanics In The House ?

So a few days ago I was pulling out of a Wendy’s parking lot flipping a u-turn and POW…I slammed my car into this big ass concrete divider hitting it super hard

I didn’t even see it…it was on a gradual slope and I was partially blinded by the bright exterior lighting. There were a bunch of dings and chips on it, so obviously a lot of other people have done the same thing

Name:  0652F1DA-4122-4A7F-898E-643A987A65FD.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  2.85 MB

anyway, the tire obv went flat immediately and I heard it grinding when I pulled into a parking spot to survey the damage

I called a tire shop a couple of miles away and he came right out to replace the tire but the entire wheelbase (front right) was still jacked up clearly off center and it was still grinding with the alignment all fucked up

I left it parked overnight and came back the next morning to get it to the shop to replace the control arm

These guys did their job and fixed the control arm and alignment for $350.00 which seemed reasonable enough, but as soon as I drove away now this is happening…

The traction control light starts flashing and the left side ABS starts grabbing and lurching and then will stop again

I managed to get it home after creeping along in the slow lane with my hazards on for almost 11 miles, but I can’t figure out what the problem is. It will go like 1/4 mile no problem and then the traction light starts blinking and it lurches hard multiple times

I’m thinking an electrical issue with the ABS sensor or the wheel bearings who the hell knows…its also grinding hard when I pull the wheel all the way to the right

fucking weird

advice welcome

TIA

Comments

Serial Fail: HAHAHAHA

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    So a few days ago I was pulling out of a Wendy’s parking lot flipping a u-turn and POW…I slammed my car into this big ass concrete divider hitting it super hard

I didn’t even see it…it was on a gradual slope and I was partially blinded by the bright exterior lighting. There were a bunch of dings and chips on it, so obviously a lot of other people have done the same thing

Name:  0652F1DA-4122-4A7F-898E-643A987A65FD.jpeg
Views: 228
Size:  2.85 MB

anyway, the tire obv went flat immediately and I heard it grinding when I pulled into a parking spot to survey the damage

I called a tire shop a couple of miles away and he came right out to replace the tire but the entire wheelbase (front right) was still jacked up clearly off center and it was still grinding with the alignment all fucked up

I left it parked overnight and came back the next morning to get it to the shop to replace the control arm

These guys did their job and fixed the control arm and alignment for $350.00 which seemed reasonable enough, but as soon as I drove away now this is happening…

The traction control light starts flashing and the left side ABS starts grabbing and lurching and then will stop again

I managed to get it home after creeping along in the slow lane with my hazards on for almost 11 miles, but I can’t figure out what the problem is. It will go like 1/4 mile no problem and then the traction light starts blinking and it lurches hard multiple times

I’m thinking an electrical issue with the ABS sensor or the wheel bearings who the hell knows…its also grinding hard when I pull the wheel all the way to the right

fucking weird

advice welcome

TIA
    Don’t drink and drive

Comments

tyde: useless as usual

Serial Fail: Truth offset for Tyde

Gold
    Load Metric
    Did you call or take the car back to the place that charged you $350 only to make it worse? Also, do you have collision insurance? Because while its unlikely you damaged the entire suspension its entirely possible a tie rod and/or a ball joint were damaged. A hit like that can also damage the strut and axle. I don't think you bent the frame but if you did its a covered claim for a collision and if you have coverage you may as well make 2 claims at once and get them to pay for your seat.

Its also possible the abs isn't functioning properly because the wheel bearing is damaged. It can't be driven in its current condition.

You can also have someone steal it and torch it for you.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post
    Did you call or take the car back to the place that charged you $350 only to make it worse? Also, do you have collision insurance? Because while its unlikely you damaged the entire suspension its entirely possible a tie rod and/or a ball joint were damaged. A hit like that can also damage the strut and axle. I don't think you bent the frame but if you did its a covered claim for a collision and if you have coverage you may as well make 2 claims at once and get them to pay for your seat.

Its also possible the abs isn't functioning properly because the wheel bearing is damaged. It can't be driven in its current condition.

just dropped it off at another shop

crept along in the slow lane on the coastal highway doing like 25

It only starts freaking out over 30 mph

just to run diagnostics $150.00

I’m considering writing a sternly worded letter of intent to recover damages to the Wendy’s regional manager because 100% that stupid concrete slab has jacked up many other cars before mine

Name:  D650F7DE-261E-4741-8900-25C66A34FD5F.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  464.7 KB

Comments

1marley1: I wonder what he thinks the yellow lines mean

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by country978 View Post

just dropped it off at another shop

crept along in the slow lane on the coastal highway doing like 25

It only starts freaking out over 30 mph

just to run diagnostics $150.00

I’m considering writing a sternly worded letter of intent to recover damages to the Wendy’s regional manager because 100% that stupid concrete slab has jacked up many other cars before mine

Name:  D650F7DE-261E-4741-8900-25C66A34FD5F.jpeg
Views: 254
Size:  464.7 KB
    I'd check the catalytic converter. Did you check that Tyde? It's an easy fix. Maybe an hour, just need a wrench, some oil and elbow grease. It's easy.

Load Metric
    What purpose did that concrete serve? Why was it poured? It certainly is a weird detail.

It can’t be intended as a sidewalk extension with that drop.

Comments

Sheesfaced: That’s what I was thinking. What the hell is the point of that thing?

Banned
    Load Metric
    paging wrenchjockey

whatever happened to that guy anyway ?

I vaguely remember some kind of beef with him being de-modded on donkdown for something or other

Load Metric
    you know a tyde handwritten letter to olivia gomez the manager is gonna be fire also this would never have happened at an arbys

Load Metric
    we take parking lot layout customer comfort and ease of access veeeeeeeeerrryy seriously

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    What did that concrete serve? Why was it poured? It certainly is a weird detail.

here’s a better angle

Load Metric
    but real talk i think you can run down a private mechanic and pay them 100 an hour without paying the dealership diagnostic fee i have heard of such things

Load Metric
    tyde turning into a 79 year old grandmother who cant drive is the arc todgepoker needs for 2024

Load Metric
    listen tyde sleeps in that parking lot hes gonna hit it again we need a professional on this

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The weird piece of concrete is there because the parking lot was built on ground which wasn't flat, and you can see there's a stair next to it on the sidewalk.

They put the concrete there in order to prevent cards from driving over that "bump" in the parking lot, and bottoming out.

I ran into the reverse problem many years ago at the Carl's Jr in Mammoth. They had a big drop-off in the lot which was hard to see coming, and suddenly I felt my car go down and bottom out. Fortunately nothing was damaged, but boy was it a big drop, and very unnerving. Something could have been easily damaged, but I got lucky and drove away without issue or body damage. I wondered at the time why they didn't block it off in some way.

Well, that's apparently what they did here, except it wasn't done well, thus causing people like you to drive over it.

You can't do anything to the Wendy's, as it's not a blatant enough hazard to be legally actionable. I agree it's a very poor design.

Where you might have a claim is against the first mechanic. If the second mechanic diagnoses it differently, and it shows they didn't really fix the problem, you can request a refund from them (and any money it cost to fix anything they made worse), under threat of complaint to the state if they refuse.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Also now I see why you wanted a $1k freeroll here so badly.

Don't worry though, I'm "not trolling" when I say this.

Comments

Tellafriend: ouch

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    What did that concrete serve? Why was it poured? It certainly is a weird detail.

here’s a better angle

Some kind of traffic control designed by a college intern.

I’d throw a planter on it and fill it with some bushes or other plantings to reduce harm to my customers and beautify the concrete jungle that is your state

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

how many times do I have to say that I don’t play the freerolls

I think I’ve played the PFA freeroll once in 10 years and totally dominated winning it

I seem to recall you taking like 3 months to cough up the 40 bucks I won via PayPal lol

good times

Load Metric
    tyde dropping reverse burn facts todgegomery

Banned
    Load Metric
    The weird piece of concrete is there because the parking lot was built on ground which wasn't flat, and you can see there's a stair next to it on the sidewalk.

They put the concrete there in order to prevent cards from driving over that "bump" in the parking lot, and bottoming out.

I ran into the reverse problem many years ago at the Carl's Jr in Mammoth. They had a big drop-off in the lot which was hard to see coming, and suddenly I felt my car go down and bottom out. Fortunately nothing was damaged, but boy was it a big drop, and very unnerving. Something could have been easily damaged, but I got lucky and drove away without issue or body damage. I wondered at the time why they didn't block it off in some way.

Well, that's apparently what they did here, except it wasn't done well, thus causing people like you to drive over it.

You can't do anything to the Wendy's, as it's not a blatant enough hazard to be legally actionable. I agree it's a very poor design.

Where you might have a claim is against the first mechanic. If the second mechanic diagnoses it differently, and it shows they didn't really fix the problem, you can request a refund from them (and any money it cost to fix anything they made worse), under threat of complaint to the state if they refuse.
    I spent 45 minutes on the phone this morning with the first shop and the guy was correct in saying that he was paid to replace the control arm and do the alignment

I wasn’t happy he didn’t diagnose the issue I’m having now, but it seems to be a completely separate problem triggered by slamming into the curb

the control arm was trashed and would have had to be replaced regardless

granted the first shop was only a tire, wheel and alignment shop so I can’t expect him to have the necessary diagnostic equipment for sensor/warning light issues

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

how many times do I have to say that I don’t play the freerolls

I think I’ve played the PFA freeroll once in 10 years and totally dominated winning it

I seem to recall you taking like 3 months to cough up the 40 bucks I won via PayPal lol

good times
    Don't worry, I take 3 or more months for everyone.

Another batch coming soon.

Thread Information