Thread: Best House Temperature

Load Metric

Best House Temperature

One year we went to Vegas at Thanksgiving. It was 68 degrees there. The cab that picked us up had the heat in his car blasting to 85. It was unbearable coming from a cold climate.

My daughter and I swam every day, the only ones in the pool, with the locals in disbelief.

It got me to thinking. Humans must has some level of acclimating to different temps so I started an experiment this year.

I keep the thermostat at 58 degrees. Sleep is amazing with a heating blanket on low. Otherwise long sleeves do the trick and a blanket when relaxing watching tv.

Currently relaxing in bed with the window open and temp outside at 48 degrees. Am comfortable.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: I also seep well when its nice and cool no heating blanket though
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    True story- every time I go to a hotel room anywhere, I always set the room to 69. It just works.

Load Metric
    58 degrees is a psychopath move holy shit like a light 74 is optimal

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Men don’t have hot flashes so we keep the thermostat above polar bear.

Load Metric
    get her ass bro thats an insane take like 58 is not a real choice

Gold
    Load Metric
    58 is a little cold. My thermostat is set at 62. Its cold. I'm under a blanket with a sweatshirt and winter hat on. I'll sleep with at least 2 blankets but heat is expensive so you adapt a little. Snow tires going on the car next week or two.

Its winter. You get cold. Jimmy Carter told us just put on a sweater.

Load Metric
    Lol splitthis living alone in a 50 degree dungeon with an indoor koi pond, that's objectively darker than when Tyde was homeless and sleeping in Wal Mart parking lots.

That Bible must be powerful shit to keep you going.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    lets not blame the bible for this she obviously has multiple decomposing corpses

Load Metric
    Winter: 64
    Summer: 65

Like, I have to have this or it won't be knock out sleep.

If I wake up and cannot fall asleep again for some reason, I just play this sound of a DC-3 aircraft:

Sometimes I crave the sleep brainwave induction DC-3 sound immediately and play it right when I'm crashing.

Load Metric
    dont get me on sleep music i listen to so many crackling campfires with rain its egregious

Load Metric
    asmr never works somehow give me the snow and the fireplace

Platinum
    Load Metric
    My electric bill would be $1000 at your temps.

75 in the summer, 69 in the winter. Will drop the summer temp to 73 at night.

Load Metric
    68 when permissible

Load Metric
    Usually 76 in the summer time sometimes 78 but I have to clarify my house is a split level so if I don’t it’s either hot in the master bedroom or it’s freezing in the living room which is the lowest level and where 2 of the 3 bedrooms are at.

Usually do 72 in the winter which means definitely needing at times something warmer downstairs but things can get weird I’ve had to turn on the AC sometimes even in Jan or Feb when it pops into the 80s as the top level gets smashed by the sun in the AM facing E/W overall nothing like the in between where it’s heat at night and then potentially the AC later in the day sometimes because it can get to 80 quick sometimes mid afternoon inside the house even if it’s only 70 outside.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Unlike other animals, humans seem to have an almost random preference for comfortable temperatures. Some people, like my girlfriend and father, enjoy colder temperatures and don't like running the indoor heat more than a minimal amount. Others, such as Master Scalir, love the heat and despise the cold. Ken told me he never runs the A/C in the summer, despite the San Fernando Valley reaching as high as 110 degrees at times, but spends a lot of money on heat in the winter.

I had long wondered where I was in that temperature preference range, though I knew I liked it a lot warmer than my dad did.

I finally got my answer thanks to a very large sample size and varied indoor temperatures -- the WSOP! As I've talked about before, the Rio (and to some degree Paris/Horseshoe as well) had huge variance in indoor temperature, depending upon the room size, A/C power, time of day, and number of people. At times it would be uncomfortably hot, at times surprisingly cold, and others somewhere in the middle. I noticed that I seemed to be about exactly in the middle, judging from the comments of other players over the years. When I felt hot, so did the majority at the table. When I felt cold, same thing. And sometimes when I felt good, I noticed a few complaining about it being too hot or cold, but the majority agreed with me that it was fine.

With that said, I have more tolerance for a hot room than a cold room. While I enjoy neither, walking into a cold room instantly bothers me, whereas a hot room tends to be more of a cumulative effect.

I also can sleep when it's too hot, but not when it's too cold. In fact, if the room gets too cold, I actually wake up and have trouble falling back asleep. If I wake up feeling too hot, often I am able to fall back asleep anyway, without getting up to turn on the A/C or open a window.

Thermostat settings don't mean much, as they are not always accurate, and also different rooms of the house heat/cool at different rates. Your thermostat can read 70, but another room could be 77, while yet another could be 64. This especially occurs in larger homes, where the air often struggles to make it through the ducts to the farthest point.

In hotels, forget about it. The thermostats are notoriously inaccurate, especially if near the window, where it can sometimes be cooler or warmer than the rest of the room. In some hotels I have the thermostat all the way down to 62, and in others I have it as high as 78.

In general I prefer an indoor temperature of around 72-74. I will prefer it cooler if I'm doing something active (or just returned from something active outside, such as hiking), and I prefer it warmer if I'm about to get in the shower.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Wars View Post
    Winter: 64
    Summer: 65

Like, I have to have this or it won't be knock out sleep.

If I wake up and cannot fall asleep again for some reason, I just play this sound of a DC-3 aircraft:

Sometimes I crave the sleep brainwave induction DC-3 sound immediately and play it right when I'm crashing.
    Thanks this is SOLID
    "Just Do Your Job"

"Discipline or Regret"

Load Metric

Best House Temperature

FWIW- I stay at hotels often and like to bring my own portable fan. Just much easier to control to an ideal temp vs fighting with an old AC combo unit.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by ftpjesus View Post
    Usually 76 in the summer time sometimes 78 but I have to clarify my house is a split level so if I don’t it’s either hot in the master bedroom or it’s freezing in the living room which is the lowest level and where 2 of the 3 bedrooms are at.

Usually do 72 in the winter which means definitely needing at times something warmer downstairs but things can get weird I’ve had to turn on the AC sometimes even in Jan or Feb when it pops into the 80s as the top level gets smashed by the sun in the AM facing E/W overall nothing like the in between where it’s heat at night and then potentially the AC later in the day sometimes because it can get to 80 quick sometimes mid afternoon inside the house even if it’s only 70 outside.
    Raised my kid in a split level. In winter you close the upstairs registers and in summer you close the downstairs registers. This will even the heating and cooling.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Thread Information