Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HP Envy laptop keyboard failing, is the computer fucked?

Load Metric
    also sloppy joe it was probably 30 years ago

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Here's the situation:

I have an HP Envy laptop. I like this line of laptops, and have had a few in a row. Unfortunately, they seem to have keyboard issues. Every one of them I've owned has eventually had multiple keys on the keyboard start failing (usually within days of each other, and usually close together).

In the past, I was fortunate enough to be under warranty when this happened -- sometimes an extended warranty which I got from some previous fail on their part. An older laptop actually had an easily replaceable keyboard, but those days are long gone.

Now I'm not under any kind of warranty. This laptop was bought 3 years ago. I had it completely replaced in April 2022, when it was having keyboard issues plus some other problems. It was under warranty then, but not now.

Other than the keyboard, it works perfectly. Still fast, screen looks great, basically no other problems except the fan coming on every so often when the CPU is working hard.

To me this looks like a keyboard failure at the motherboard level, and I'm probably fucked... but at the same time, it feels weird to dump a completely good laptop just because of a fucking keyboard. I can use an external one in the meantime, but that's not a solution I want anything beyond short term.

If I do buy a new one, I suppose this laptop can serve as a backup, but I'd really prefer to get some more life out of this one.

Comments?
    Model number? There's a chance you could replace the keyboard or both the motherboard for cheap. Find that model with a broken screen or bad hard drive on eBay.

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

I also have an HP Envy with no working delete key… I am just gonna take it in and pay to get it replaced. I like the laptop too much to replace it (runs Linux) with a new machine running some bill gates new world order bullshit I have to delete in order to install a superior OS.

Just pay the $$ to get it fixed??
    Linux

Windows is beyond awful and pretty much always has been.

Thread reminds me to blow the dust off the WinTel and sit thru hours of updates.

Old school know about the kludge.
    Mint Os or Pop Os or any debian/ubuntu type distros might be 10 touchdowns better than Windows on the desktop.

Not even in the same league these days

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post

I also have an HP Envy with no working delete key… I am just gonna take it in and pay to get it replaced. I like the laptop too much to replace it (runs Linux) with a new machine running some bill gates new world order bullshit I have to delete in order to install a superior OS.

Just pay the $$ to get it fixed??
    I need to talk to HP but I believe replacing the keyboards is no longer trivial, and requires a full motherboard replacement. If you know otherwise, please tell me.
    u are underestimating what a good repair shop can do and u seem to be obsessed with the manufacturer - the repair shops have access to parts - find a good one and call and ask ...

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikke View Post

I need to talk to HP but I believe replacing the keyboards is no longer trivial, and requires a full motherboard replacement. If you know otherwise, please tell me.

Had a similar issue recently, contacted HP through WhatsApp and they immediately quoted me 500+ EUR, most of the time they will just replace the motherboard like you mentioned.
    I started a case with HP today.

Basically I'm going to cite how often the keyboard fails on these Envy laptops, and how I've bought so many, and ask them for an exception to fix it either free or cheap.

If they refuse and quote me something like $500 to fix, I'll tell them to eat shit and give up, and then consider buying from a different manufacturer next time. Unfortunately the other makes of laptops I just don't like as much as HP, so it might be an idle threat. But I'll seriously consider it.

If HP won't help me (which is likely to be the case), I will call some local repair shops and see if they have any experience fixing this stuff, and get a quote from them. If it's not really expensive, I'll do it, as this laptop is just 1.5 years old, since it was replaced on warranty in late April 2022. If they either can't do it or it's too expensive, I'll just designate this a backup laptop and buy a new one.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    They wanted $407 for the keyboard repair.

I talked them down to $189. Not thrilled, but whatever. Now time for the irritating task of backing up and wiping all the data, and then doing the reverse when it comes back.

Comments

FRANKRIZZO: Indian repair

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Well, not so fast.

I was ok with the $189 repair.

Then yesterday they dropped it on me that my computer has actually been “end of service lifed” and can’t be repaired!

They offered me a whopping $75 off a new one!

They reluctantly admitted that they “usually service computers for 5 years” but decided to end this one early for whatever reason. As if that’s my problem.

After I objected to this, I was put on hold while they looked for “other solutions” and came back offering me an external keyboard. For a fucking laptop.

3 years and they’re telling me they won’t repair it, and it probably needs to go in the trash.

Disgraceful.

I put in a request for a manager to call me. Probably the last HP I buy, which is too bad, because otherwise I like their laptops, minus these keyboard issues.

Load Metric
    There is a Carly Florina fetish behind this.

Name:  IMG_7240.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  67.0 KB

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BUMP

After a lot of back and forth, and a lot of lol suggestions on their part (such as a whopping $75 off a new HP system), I was able to come to terms with them.

I suggested they could send me a refurbished system roughly similar to my existing one, and I'll send my existing one back to them. I offered to pay the same $189 that I was going to pay for the repair.

After some time researching if they could accommodate this, middle management agreed, and said they were accepting my offer. However, they decided also not to collect the $189 from me.

I'm now on that system. On the plus side, it has very similar specs, but 32 GB RAM instead of 16 GB.

On the downside, the internal speakers are absolute shit, and bizarrely located on the BOTTOM of the laptop, making everything sound like it's in a tin can when the computer is on a table. Dumb.

But the price was right.

Comments

1dollarboxcar: +++++

Thread Information