Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gavin Newsom has guaranteed $20/hour to all California fast food workers

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Gavin Newsom has guaranteed $20/hour to all California fast food workers

https://twitter.com/GavinNewsom/status/1707477374785257621

The big problem?

Aside from resulting in layoffs and increased usage of kiosks/apps to take orders, this entire measure hurts the small businessman.

Simpleton Newsom probably thinks that this is coming out of the coffers of the big, deep pocketed fast food corporations. It is not. Most fast food outlets in the US are franchised, and owned by small businesspeople. Many are struggling to get by, or are even losing money. This is simply another assault on small business in California!

Aside from a few gin locations where owners make bank, for the most part owning a fast food franchise is a miserable experience and a money pit.

First, the owner has to invest 6 figures (often over $300,000) in "build out costs" in order to make his new restaurant look like the brand where he bought the franchise.

Next, he is required to purchase all food from the company, and pay various franchise/advertising fees each month.

So he's already got a big monthly burden on his back, PLUS a high initial startup cost, before he sells his first burger. Often times the owner ends up working as the full time store manger, because he simply can't afford to hire one, given all the other costs.

The product being sold is cheap and has low profit margins, so you need to do a ton of volume just to break even.

Now fast food workers are being paid double what they were 4 years ago, and this is just going to be the straw that breaks the back of a lot of these frazzled owners.

Fast food is not meant as a career. It's not like low-end fast food workers were enjoying the American dream 30 years ago, and now aren't able to get by. It's always been a shit job with shit pay, which is occupied mostly by teenagers and life fuckups trying to get back on their feet.

The worst thing here is that Newsom either doesn't understand or doesn't care that this arbitrary law is harming the little guy owner -- and not the big corporations.

It's just another stepping stone to the 2028 (or perhaps 2024) nomination for President. This buffoon is terrible at every job he has, but he keeps falling upward.

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    I agree it’s dumb, but aren’t they paying that already? Every fast food restaurant around me is constantly advertising on their billboard for $18/hr+ or $20 for any 7/11 style place where the cost of living is minuscule. I paid 3.47 for gas yesterday and tyde is talking about $6 gas there. I would have assumed they are already making that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The estimated 122,042 limited-service franchise restaurants (NAICS 722513) make up approximately 54 percent of all fast-food restaurants in the United States, nearly 70 percent of the sales of fast-food restaurants ($185.4 billion), and about 73 percent of the employment of fast-food restaurants (3.6 million).
    This is from 2012, but whatever.

https://www.census.gov/library/stori...ranchises.html

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I agree it’s dumb, but aren’t they paying that already? Every fast food restaurant around me is constantly advertising on their billboard for $18/hr+ or $20 for any 7/11 style place where the cost of living is minuscule. I paid 3.47 for gas yesterday and tyde is talking about $6 gas there. I would have assumed they are already making that.
    I am seeing 17-18 per hour advertised around me.

But fine... if the free market demands that (partially due to inflation, partially due to these workers abandoning shitty jobs for gig work post-COVID), then so be it.

Artificially setting it to $20/hr is bullshit. This especially fucks small towns in California where there are fewer available jobs (and a lot less gig work), so franchise owners there probably don't have to pay 17-18 per hour in those places.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Do most fast food franchisees really end up working at the store full time+ ? Seems not worth it lol. Save up 300k then flip burgers and send checks to $MCD .

Ouch American dream...

How many stores a franchisee needs to make real $ ?

Comments

Mission146:
    "Just Do Your Job"

"Discipline or Regret"

Load Metric
    Gavin really didn’t think this one through. Much like his recently signed gun control legislation.

Gold
    Load Metric
    I wound up in Providence yesterday. On the way home I had to piss and was a little hungry so I stopped at Mcd's and got a small fry and filet o' fish. It cost $9.07. No drink, just these 2 things for fucking $9.07. I'm done with these fast food places and that's going to be the result for a lot of people because of these wages.

Load Metric
    I’ve learned that many Californians are self entitled, poor work ethic, who would rather be broke on the beach all day than have a worthwhile life.

The problem with 20 dollar an hour fast food is that it devalues the low paying but essential jobs that are already making 20 bucks like nursing home workers. Let’s be honest nobody needs more fast food joints. If you need a good burger go to a chip truck which is the same price.

I can also say from experience in Ontario when we hit 14 bucks an hour for minimum wage fast food prices skyrocketed. Fucking Big Mac meal nearly 15 dollars now…
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    I’ve learned that many Californians are self entitled, poor work ethic, who would rather be broke on the beach all day than have a worthwhile life.
    Yes, we became the 5th largest economy in the world by being lazy.

Comments

BetCheckBet: Many Are Righteous Though Yes
    Last edited by Jayjami; 09-29-2023 at 08:12 AM.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

The big problem?

Aside from resulting in layoffs and increased usage of kiosks/apps to take orders, this entire measure hurts the small businessman.

Simpleton Newsom probably thinks that this is coming out of the coffers of the big, deep pocketed fast food corporations. It is not. Most fast food outlets in the US are franchised, and owned by small businesspeople. Many are struggling to get by, or are even losing money. This is simply another assault on small business in California!

Aside from a few gin locations where owners make bank, for the most part owning a fast food franchise is a miserable experience and a money pit.

First, the owner has to invest 6 figures (often over $300,000) in "build out costs" in order to make his new restaurant look like the brand where he bought the franchise.

Next, he is required to purchase all food from the company, and pay various franchise/advertising fees each month.

So he's already got a big monthly burden on his back, PLUS a high initial startup cost, before he sells his first burger. Often times the owner ends up working as the full time store manger, because he simply can't afford to hire one, given all the other costs.

The product being sold is cheap and has low profit margins, so you need to do a ton of volume just to break even.

Now fast food workers are being paid double what they were 4 years ago, and this is just going to be the straw that breaks the back of a lot of these frazzled owners.

Fast food is not meant as a career. It's not like low-end fast food workers were enjoying the American dream 30 years ago, and now aren't able to get by. It's always been a shit job with shit pay, which is occupied mostly by teenagers and life fuckups trying to get back on their feet.

The worst thing here is that Newsom either doesn't understand or doesn't care that this arbitrary law is harming the little guy owner -- and not the big corporations.

It's just another stepping stone to the 2028 (or perhaps 2024) nomination for President. This buffoon is terrible at every job he has, but he keeps falling upward.
    (Picture Removed)

I don't think that Newsom thinks or cares anything along those lines.

I think Newsom is a little smarter than you're giving him credit for on this one. Let's do a little cause and effect, but first we have to posit #1:

1.) Both Democrats and Republicans fucking LOVE major corporations.

2.) Governor Newsom increases the minimum wage for this category of worker to $20/hour.

3.) McDonald's, and other fast food places (as well as certain gas stations with food) are increasingly going automated. While one can always point to the cost savings, others have made the claim that they simply can't find enough workers willing to take the jobs...which might sometimes be true, depending on the area. Why Republicans are so concerned with the border, I have no idea. I say if Americans don't want the jobs, then let us give them to Mexicans and South Americans who do.

Also, I don't even want to hear shit about drugs. As if drugs wouldn't get in anyway. Shit, the biggest drug problem that has happened in the last thirty years was caused by American drug COMPANIES and our own FDA. Besides, do you guys know how hard it is to find cocaine? I wouldn't mind a key bump every now and then. Dicks.

4.) But, seriously, Newsom almost certainly knows that increasing the cost of employees is going to result in increasing automation and, perhaps, trying to automate tasks that aren't automated already.

5.) In addition to draining the coffers of franchised locations, who, as Druff points out, aren't usually sitting on huge piles of cash---they either have to pay the workers or they have to pay for whatever the automated components/systems are.

6.) Newsome should also know that franchisees don't really own anything, check this out:

https://corporate.mcdonalds.com/corp...-overview.html

The site selection process is separate from our franchisee selection process. We make the decision to develop a location because we believe it will be a success. McDonald’s manages all the site evaluation, acquires the property and constructs the building. After making the decision to develop a site, McDonald’s awards the franchise to the most qualified candidate. If you have a piece of property that you are interested in selling, please contact us at this link.
    See? McDonald's acquires the real estate. The franchisees just come in and run the restaurant. At best, they take a risk to be glorified restaurant managers.

McDonald's even interviews and trains franchise owners. That's their own verbiage. You don't fucking own anything. You're a fucking manager who is not even guaranteed to make money for your work.

7.) Newsom doesn't care that individual franchisees might fail.

It really doesn't matter to him because McDonald's can just swoop in and run it as a corporate store until such time that they can find another, 'Franchisee.' If they can't find another franchisee for a location, and they don't believe the location can be made to run profitably as a corporate-owned store, then they can either lease out the property (which they own) or they can sell the property if they think they can do so at profit.

8.) And, they should be able to sell the property, at profit, because they never took the risk of operating a restaurant there to begin with. Not to mention the half million they get:

Can You Still Get a McDonald’s Franchise (in the United States) and How Much Does It Cost?
    Yes, McDonald’s continually seeks qualified individuals to become franchisees. Since the total cost varies from restaurant to restaurant, the minimum amount for a down payment will vary. Generally, we require a minimum of $500,000 of non-borrowed personal resources to consider you for a franchise. For more information about purchasing and financing a McDonald’s Franchise, please see the U.S. Franchising Home Page.
    What? You thought that you could be interviewed and trained to be a potentially unpaid manager for free? Fuck no. Half million.

Here's a quote:

https://www.wallstreetsurvivor.com/m...nd-the-burger/

A lot of us don’t realize that McDonald’s isn’t really a burger-flipping restaurant chain. Well, it is, but not purely. Peel back the layers and you’ll find that the corporate entity is actually one heck of a real estate company. Former McDonald’s CFO, Harry J. Sonneborn, is even quoted as saying, “we are not technically in the food business. We are in the real estate business. The only reason we sell fifteen-cent hamburgers is because they are the greatest producer of revenue, from which our tenants can pay us our rent.”
    See? The franchise 'owners' who don't actually 'own' anything except for the name of their (probable) LLC aren't even partners; they're tenants. If the restaurant fails, then you simply can't afford to be a tenant anymore and McDonald's has to find someone new, or alternatively, do something else with the property.

9.) Long story short---McDonald's CAN'T lose. It's almost impossible for them to lose on an individual location. They simply need to select locations where the supposed 'owners' can, at a minimum, tread water long enough to make the location profitable for them. Aside from the initial real estate investment, McDonald's has almost no risk.***

10.) So, yes, this is bad for franchisees. Both Newsom and McDonald's are well-aware of that. Neither of those entities care.

11.) Because you can make it so that Democrats have absolute control and people must fall in line and vote for them if they wish to eat. But, in order to do that, you must first price out all jobs and all opportunities. You have to eliminate the middle class.

---I consider all of this very unfortunate. At the same time, when you agree to be a franchisee to anyone, you're basically telling Ronald to wipe off his clown makeup, because you're bent over with your cheeks spread ready to take his Big Mac.+++

***Really, it IS no risk, accounting for inflation. McDonald's can afford to wait to sell properties that they'd be selling at a loss during a downturn.

+++Damn it. Quarter Pounder would have been better.
    Last edited by Mission146; 09-29-2023 at 08:22 AM.
    Don't Tread on Anyone, mothafucka!

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BCR View Post
    I am seeing 17-18 per hour advertised around me.

But fine... if the free market demands that (partially due to inflation, partially due to these workers abandoning shitty jobs for gig work post-COVID), then so be it.

Artificially setting it to $20/hr is bullshit. This especially fucks small towns in California where there are fewer available jobs (and a lot less gig work), so franchise owners there probably don't have to pay 17-18 per hour in those places.
    If the small towns can no longer take care of themselves, pray tell, what is the only entity left that can, 'Take care of' the small towns?

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by aayjay View Post
    Do most fast food franchisees really end up working at the store full time+ ? Seems not worth it lol. Save up 300k then flip burgers and send checks to $MCD .

Ouch American dream...

How many stores a franchisee needs to make real $ ?
    One, if it's actually profitable.

See my post above. They don't OWN anything. They are managers who get to call themselves owners and may, or may not, make money.

If I, 'Owned' one, I'd sure as shit be spending time there because anything I am doing means I don't have to pay someone else to do it.

Load Metric

The problem with 20 dollar an hour fast food is that it devalues the low paying but essential jobs that are already making 20 bucks like nursing home workers. Let’s be honest nobody needs more fast food joints. If you need a good burger go to a chip truck which is the same price.

I can also say from experience in Ontario when we hit 14 bucks an hour for minimum wage fast food prices skyrocketed. Fucking Big Mac meal nearly 15 dollars now…
    If you say so. I'd rather be broke on the beach than work at a McDonald's, but that's just me. I don't know what reality you live in such that working at McDonald's, by itself, has therefore resulted in a worthwhile life.

Haha. Nursing home workers? Do you have any idea what goes on in nursing homes?

My fiancee is a pharmacy tech. She works in long-term care. One of their nursing homes called with a new admission and gave a smorgasbord of drugs to fill for this person.

That part was superficially fine. There were no contraindications. Also, the nursing home works with the pharmacy, but this lady had never been a retail patient with the pharmacy, so the pharmacy had no reason to suspect anything was off. The prescriptions also made superficial sense, especially given that the pharmacy couldn't have known anything about the patient.

Anyway, this place was a nursing home, but it also has a wing for dementia and a few other things. The intake person asked the new patient what sort of prescriptions she was on; the patient rattled a few off but forgot some of the names, so intake asked, "Well, is it xxxxxx?" The patient said yes.

Intake calls the pharmacy and asks them to fill all of these things, which they do. Again, it happened in such a way that nothing about this is going to raise any red flags with the pharmacy---because none of these prescriptions conflicted with each other.

When you go to a facility, the facility doctor, in effect, becomes your PCP. However, this facility's doctor did not contact the previous PCP. As a result, this geriatric doctor who might damn well have dementia himself kept prescribing refills of these prescriptions.

Skip ahead three months to the facility shipping her to the hospital. Why? Because she'd been given the wrong meds for three months. First, because some idiot in intake took A FUCKING DEMENTIA PATIENT'S WORD for what she was on; secondly, because the doctor continued to just blindly fill what intake told him without ever really examining the patient or contacting the previous PCP.

In summary, bad example. Those people aren't worth the shit they spend the day wiping, more often than not.

No. Literally. More than 50% of the time. That's just an example of a colossal fuckup.

Also, if a McDonald's would hire you to dip fries in oil, then a nursing home would probably hire you as an aide.

Comments

BetCheckBet: Point is nursing home workers should be getting raises not fast food

Banned
    Load Metric
    Mission146 is smoking all you faggots

this guy KNOWS HIS SHIT

not sure why he bothers posting on this toilet, but it’s refreshing to finally see someone contributing here who isn’t a brainless illiterate muppet

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Mission146 View Post

If you say so. I'd rather be broke on the beach than work at a McDonald's, but that's just me. I don't know what reality you live in such that working at McDonald's, by itself, has therefore resulted in a worthwhile life.

Haha. Nursing home workers? Do you have any idea what goes on in nursing homes?

My fiancee is a pharmacy tech. She works in long-term care. One of their nursing homes called with a new admission and gave a smorgasbord of drugs to fill for this person.

That part was superficially fine. There were no contraindications. Also, the nursing home works with the pharmacy, but this lady had never been a retail patient with the pharmacy, so the pharmacy had no reason to suspect anything was off. The prescriptions also made superficial sense, especially given that the pharmacy couldn't have known anything about the patient.

Anyway, this place was a nursing home, but it also has a wing for dementia and a few other things. The intake person asked the new patient what sort of prescriptions she was on; the patient rattled a few off but forgot some of the names, so intake asked, "Well, is it xxxxxx?" The patient said yes.

Intake calls the pharmacy and asks them to fill all of these things, which they do. Again, it happened in such a way that nothing about this is going to raise any red flags with the pharmacy---because none of these prescriptions conflicted with each other.

When you go to a facility, the facility doctor, in effect, becomes your PCP. However, this facility's doctor did not contact the previous PCP. As a result, this geriatric doctor who might damn well have dementia himself kept prescribing refills of these prescriptions.

Skip ahead three months to the facility shipping her to the hospital. Why? Because she'd been given the wrong meds for three months. First, because some idiot in intake took A FUCKING DEMENTIA PATIENT'S WORD for what she was on; secondly, because the doctor continued to just blindly fill what intake told him without ever really examining the patient or contacting the previous PCP.

In summary, bad example. Those people aren't worth the shit they spend the day wiping, more often than not.

No. Literally. More than 50% of the time. That's just an example of a colossal fuckup.

Also, if a McDonald's would hire you to dip fries in oil, then a nursing home would probably hire you as an aide.
    Better pay would mean better workers. They have to scrape bottom of barrel for candidates because it’s typically the lowest paid sector

Comments

Mission146:
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric

Better pay would mean better workers. They have to scrape bottom of barrel for candidates because it’s typically the lowest paid sector
    Maybe. Sometimes.

When the patient first goes to the facility, the facility contacts the pharmacy and the pharmacy generally fills three days worth. In theory, the reason for that is so that the facility's doctor can do an evaluation of the patient and decide whether or not there should be any adjustments.

That's especially important with what are called, "Maintenance meds," heart related, diabetes, blood pressure...the shit that you're literally going to die if you go a few days without.

Anyway, the facility's doctor, I would assume (who is no longer there, btw, so at least there's that) is being paid better than intake. In my area, Intake Specialist should already be mid-high $20's/hour, low $30's, which is to start. Sure, the ass wipers are probably making less than that, but you wouldn't believe some of the shit that they do with dispensing some of the wrong meds to the wrong patients. Oh, I've got stories, but I wanted to share a colossal fuckup. Like, this is a more than once and the state might actually close your ass fuckup.

But, probably not, because this facility (in particular) is one that hides behind being religiously oriented. In some ways, they're untouchable, but this might be enough. We'll see.

The point is that we're talking about the people who are on the higher end of the facility wage structure than if you came in to mop floors and distribute meals.

The situation with the doctor is it's almost certainly some retired former private PCP, surgeon or hospital doctor who's just sitting back and collecting a paycheck. I don't remember the specific prescription, but there's no way this doctor ever even physically saw this patient, much less did a full evaluation and would ever let this medication be continued. Essentially, he just took intake's word, who took a dementia patient's word...that the dementia patient herself was unsure of, and continued to prescribe the wrong meds for three months.

It's not a money issue. It's a people are shit issue.

Or, maybe it is a money issue. The doctor wanted money and doesn't care who lives or dies. Intake, same. I don't care who lives or dies, but if I'm being paid and part of my job is making sure you don't die because of something I fucked up, then I am not going to fuck anything up that would cause you to die. Not because I care. Because it's my job.

Another thing to consider is this: Do you have any idea how bad of a way that patient had to be in for the facility to actually ship her to the hospital? Spoiler: Brink of death. Why? Because if the bed might be empty that night (or a few nights) and if the bed is empty, the facility does not get paid for the bed that day.

Thank you for the compliment in the other post, by the way. My only reason for posting here is because I feel like it. I also like some of the company; Dan is an example.

Comments

BetCheckBet:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Name:  20bucks.png
Views: 163
Size:  459.3 KB

Comments

splitthis: Rofl

Load Metric
    I speak mainly from experience in Ontario health care system But here we have both public and private long term care homes and no pun intended you wouldn’t want to be caught dead in the public system. There really is a big difference in quality of staff when in come to the private homes who also pay staff much better. Years ago when I worked on political campaigns I remember having to canvass for public nursing homes and ever since then I’ve made sure to contribute to my retirement.

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    Hopefully that meralgia paresthetica (lol) is keeping you from having to make threads about entitled fast food workers serving you stale fries.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    I speak mainly from experience in Ontario health care system But here we have both public and private long term care homes and no pun intended you wouldn’t want to be caught dead in the public system. There really is a big difference in quality of staff when in come to the private homes who also pay staff much better. Years ago when I worked on political campaigns I remember having to canvass for public nursing homes and ever since then I’ve made sure to contribute to my retirement.
    (Sorry, read a sentence wrong)

I've never understood people who donate money to, or volunteer time at, medical facilities. I spoke to someone who volunteered in a hospital's cafeteria once. That person was insured through work, had certain claims denied, paid a deductible, had co-pays...that whole thing. I asked, "When the insurance wouldn't cover everything, did the medical facilities give it to you for free?"

Obviously, he said they did not.

"So, why would you give them yourself for free? Are you angling for a job here? Go volunteer at a soup kitchen if you want to feel good about yourself. Volunteering for these cunts isn't it. Also, maybe consider burning this fucking place to the ground on your way out."

Thread Information