Thread: ICBM LAUNCH - Trip report

Silver
    Load Metric

ICBM LAUNCH - Trip report

Recently I received the honor of being named as an Honorary Commander of one of the squadrons on the base near me. It’s a program designed to build bridges between the military and the civilian communities.

The actual commander of the squadron is a Colonel and he invited me to attend a missile test launch this past Tuesday. They would be launching an ICBM that had been randomly selected from the 400 or so nuclear missiles in America’s arsenal. All of our ICBM’s with nukes are located on bases in Montana, Wyoming or South Dakota. Once a missile was selected, its nuclear warheads were removed and it was shipped to the base here. It was then put back together and readied for launch.

Name:  
Views: 
Size:  . Name:  30B6BB32-DB1F-4B2A-A687-ECF9397F38FA.jpeg
Views: 175
Size:  1.16 MB

Name:  30B6BB32-DB1F-4B2A-A687-ECF9397F38FA.jpeg
Size:  1.16 MB. Name:  96039CF0-0BF9-4C47-9F8A-8C51EF07AA6A.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  35.2 KB

Name:  96039CF0-0BF9-4C47-9F8A-8C51EF07AA6A.jpeg
Views: 171
Size:  35.2 KB. Name:  D219D6D8-579C-4BBE-94F1-1FBEB3A42EC4.jpeg
Views: 176
Size:  29.8 KB

Each one of our ICBM’s has a Missile Launch Control Center that is basically a bunker located 80-100 feet below ground. They are manned 24/7 365 days per year by crews that stay below up to 3 days at a time. The crew assigned to the missile selected for the test launch gets to travel with the missile and be the launch crew for the test. This is a huge deal for them as absent a nuclear war, these crews will never actually get to fire off a missile.

So the event kicked off with myself and 3 friends I was able to invite getting a personal tour from the Colonel in charge of the test launch. His squadron is assigned to a fairly large office building in base. The offices very much resemble the home office of a large corporation. One room is staffed entirely by officers. They are responsible for planning the test launches and for collecting and interpreting the data that the test produces. The walls are lined with pictures of past launches, mission patches, honor coin displays, etc…. They even have a squad room with their own bar. Part of the office serves as sort of a museum with models of the missiles, the war heads and the guidance systems inside the missiles.

Name:  D219D6D8-579C-4BBE-94F1-1FBEB3A42EC4.jpeg
Size:  29.8 KB Name:  D219D6D8-579C-4BBE-94F1-1FBEB3A42EC4.jpeg

Name:  D219D6D8-579C-4BBE-94F1-1FBEB3A42EC4.jpeg
Size:  29.8 KB Name:  D219D6D8-579C-4BBE-94F1-1FBEB3A42EC4.jpeg

Name:  3BE1FB0F-8242-4D57-8CB3-C504CF83583C.jpeg
Size:  38.2 KB Name:  2CA0643A-6789-498E-BA61-03278746DAF9.jpeg
Views: 170
Size:  41.4 KB

Name:  8D63E97D-9308-4237-BACC-6094C0E44E6F.jpeg
Views: 172
Size:  40.3 KB Name:  30A1FA3E-6228-4232-ADEE-140F3DB1C67F.jpeg
Size:  33.5 KB

The guidance system is quite interesting. The Colonel explained that the missiles don’t use GPS to find their targets….there are 3 gyros in the missile that basically report reading to the onboard guidance computer and keep the missile on target. As far as accuracy he explained that if you stood on one side of a football field with a ping pong ball and could throw it to the other side of the field and land it in a cup every time, that’s how accurate they are.

After the tour we were bussed over to an auditorium for the mission briefing. They explained that the missile testing is done from California mainly for safety reasons. The base being on the coast has a 270 degree window to launch directly over water. He explained that Canada would probably be upset if we were launching missiles over their territory. So the missile leaves the base and travels to an atoll (Kwajalein) in the South Pacific. It’s roughly 4000 miles away and takes about 20 minutes to get there. Its path is basically a horseshoe. It reaches an altitude of 750 miles above earth before turning back towards earth. By comparison the Intl Space Station orbits at roughly 250 miles above earth. The current ICBMS are Minutemen 3s but they will be replaced by the end of the decade with the Sentinel missile. The Colonel explained that the missile tests are conducted to prove the viability of our nuclear arsenal and also to send a message to our allies as well as to our foes.

Name:  DB07B82B-8C74-4AC5-906E-AE5C6528BDD6.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  27.5 KB

From the auditorium we were again put on a bus and taken to the viewing site. The site sits about 3 miles from the actual silo. For safety reasons that is as close as anyone is allowed. The viewing site had a very non-descript small building but that building was actually the topside of a deactivated Missile Launch Control Center. We were allowed to enter an elevator 8 at a time and descend 100 feet down. Upon exiting the elevator we walked thru a doorway protected by an 8 ton blast door. It was about 4 feet thick. The room housing the control center has bunks and an eating area as well as the launch controls. The room is actually suspended by four very large “springs” designed to protect the occupants of the site was attacked topside.

Name:  A135B3CB-E9A1-41EE-B4FC-9D0A63CBB357.jpeg
Views: 178
Size:  39.0 KB

The controls look pretty antiquated but are well maintained. They actually still use floppy discs. Nothing is online to prevent any hackers from gaining access.

It was cloudy so the actual launch was difficult to see other than the initial ignition. This is the best picture I was able to get.

Name:  197FF6E5-C62B-4D2C-A47F-6F6833BB4139.jpeg
Views: 173
Size:  16.8 KB

This video is from the AF Global Strike account

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CoezQ...RlODBiNWFlZA==

The door you see opening on top of the silo actually weighs 110 tons. It serves to protect the silo from attacks as well as from radio waves and electro-magnetic pulses. It sits on a rail system. A ballistic gas generator is used to open the door. The silos used for testing get refurbished after each launch and are used over and over. The silos that house actual nukes are one time use. If one were to be launched the entire silo is destroyed after.

A funny story….while waiting for the launch I was inside the building talking with a couple of Colonels, a 1-Star General and a civilian woman. I asked her what she did and she replied……I’m the Assistant Secretary of Defense in charge of US Nuclear Policy. What about you? I sort of mumbled…..I make pizzas. LOL. Being humbled would be an understatement!

The next launch will be Halloween Night, looking forward to it.

Comments

Dan Druff: Very nice

gut: "I make pizzas" rep

Sanlmar: antiquated - 8” floppies

Tellafriend: good stuff

country978: thank you for sharing

Ryback_feed_me_more: I believe that 10/31 launch is the first testing of the new missile going into service.

Load Metric
    When was the last time you saw a rotary phone hutmaster?

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    Probably in the early ‘80s. It was explained to us that when a crew is living underground in the launch control
    Center that they have many methods to communicate topside. None of them, however, involve anything online that could be hacked. The Colonel said that there was one top secret line. I asked if that was the rotary phone because anyone born post 1990 probably wouldn’t know how to use it without training. LOL

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by hutmaster View Post
    Probably in the early ‘80s. It was explained to us that when a crew is living underground in the launch control
    Center that they have many methods to communicate topside. None of them, however, involve anything online that could be hacked. The Colonel said that there was one top secret line. I asked if that was the rotary phone because anyone born post 1990 probably wouldn’t know how to use it without training. LOL
    The 8” floppies, vacuum tubes, rotary phones and lack of anything online is explained away as a perfect approach to security from our enemies.

I have other theories.

60 Minutes did a piece on the nuke silos like a decade ago and the technology was stark even then.

Silver
    Load Metric

The 8” floppies, vacuum tubes, rotary phones and lack of anything online is explained away as a perfect approach to security from our enemies.

I have other theories.

60 Minutes did a piece on the nuke silos like a decade ago and the technology was stark even then.
    A new missile is in development. I imagine many of the controls will be modernized along with it. The minuteman has been in use since 1970.

Load Metric
    From what I understand the ONLY update thats seriously been done for the MM3s was to speed up the messaging process from the old SW radio transmissions known as Sky King messages sent from East and West coast 1MW broadcast systems. They're still used but its considered backup now. I believe it also speeds up the targeting of the MM3s as well as it can retarget them in short order unlike the old system which required manual keying by the 2 man crews if for example instead of hitting the preset targets, they decided to drop one on KJU in NK. (I think actually I read that for safety reasons in case somebody tried to and somehow succeeded in hijacking a missile and launched it would end up in the Pacific anyway and that targeting is last step prior to launch now but could be totally wrong.)

Comments

tyde: damn son

Load Metric
    seems like biden and this fat guy have it under control

Comments

tyde: rofl

Silver
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryback_feed_me_more View Post
    From what I understand the ONLY update thats seriously been done for the MM3s was to speed up the messaging process from the old SW radio transmissions known as Sky King messages sent from East and West coast 1MW broadcast systems. They're still used but its considered backup now. I believe it also speeds up the targeting of the MM3s as well as it can retarget them in short order unlike the old system which required manual keying by the 2 man crews if for example instead of hitting the preset targets, they decided to drop one on KJU in NK. (I think actually I read that for safety reasons in case somebody tried to and somehow succeeded in hijacking a missile and launched it would end up in the Pacific anyway and that targeting is last step prior to launch now but could be totally wrong.)
    I don’t believe that has been the ONLY update but it is probably the most significant one. The basic minuteman is a 50 year old platform so various updates have been done over the years but nothing that substantial. The actual Missile Launch Control Centers underground have been modernized to some degree over what is seen in the picture I posted. For example they don’t still have a rotary phone. We got to go down into one that was decommissioned and that photograph is representative of the one we saw. We were not allowed to bring our phones / cameras down with us. This was explained as partially for security but mainly for consistency as cameras/cell phones are not allowed in active Control Centers so they want to keep protocols consistent.

Also the 10/31 launch is not the new Sentinel missile but it will utilize an airborne launch control center “The Looking Glass” rather than a ground based control center.

Load Metric
    When the US ran out of Nazis missile development waned.

Paperclip

Proud German “dueling scar”

Name:  233D9594-AA25-441F-BC71-7C383366A051.jpeg
Views: 72
Size:  34.9 KB

Gold
    Load Metric
    That's interesting, nuclear annihilation never looked so exciting. Based on those pictures you can get a sense of the culture of those on the nuclear font lines
    and it should be alarming to every reasonable person.

Hutmaster tell them their budget needs to be redirected toward the establish of a Dept of Peace asap.
    “They have surpassed all nations in impertinent fables, in bad conduct and in barbarism.”—François-Marie Voltaire

Load Metric
    When looking for the Pentagon’s missing 2.3 trillion evidence indicates it wasn’t spent on nuclear missiles

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Not sure what happened, but some of the pics got corrupted and are no longer showing up. I think it was on PFA's end.

If you repost the missing pics here in order of what's missing, I'll edit them into the OP.

Load Metric

Comments

Sanlmar: Gold
    POKER FAG ALERT! FOR BLOW JOB SEE SLOPPY JOE THE TRANNIE HO.

Thread Information