Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A maid wants $80/hour to clean Shaun Deeb's house, and he's big mad

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

A maid wants $80/hour to clean Shaun Deeb's house, and he's big mad

https://twitter.com/shaundeeb/status/1697391693836730568

If you don't want to click "Show more" to see the full tweet, here it is below:

I want to lose my shit on this person but wife is telling me to lay off. So backstory is we tried to hire this cleaning lady before just didn’t match schedule she comes to our house to give quote asking Ashley questions about my bet clearly knows the details. Then gives pricing of 80$hr for just her cleaning

https://twitter.com/shaundeeb/status/1697392323657629915

https://twitter.com/shaundeeb/status/1697393347957059614
    https://twitter.com/shaundeeb/status/1697396935894688085

Because Deeb is borderline illiterate, let me explain what he was trying to say.

First off, recall that Shaun Deeb has a large weight loss bet with Bill Perkins, where he can win $1 million if he makes the target weight.

Some cleaning woman was aware of this bet, and when Deeb's wife was interviewing her for the job, she mentioned it and asked how his weight loss was going. Then, when they inquired about her rate, she said she charges $80/hour to clean the house.

Shaun was so mad about this high price that he almost "lost his shit" on the woman, but his wife calmed him down and told him to just politely decline, which he claims he did. He then took to Twitter to rant about it.

The reactions to this are mixed. Some agree with him, some think he's correct about the high price but shouldn't take it personally, and some think he's a rich entitled asshole.

Even though I don't care for Deeb, I'm in the middle on this one. The price was WAY too high (even with the recent inflation), and I think it's likely she quoted high because she knew Deeb was a rich poker pro, and figured she could gouge him. But you know what? That's business. If you don't like the amount a service person charges, you just politely decline and move on. Failed attempts at forming a business arrangement should not be taken personally. It looks like Deeb took it personally and had to be convinced by his wife not to insult the woman.

LOL @ the chumps who say that's a fair price, and some even said they pay something similar. Stupid. Nobody should be making $80 per hour for cleaning houses. That's so much higher than the going rate anywhere (especially someone working for themselves). It doesn't matter how rich the client is. That should not affect the price being charged.

People saying things like "You have a million dollar weight loss bet" or "You play so many high stakes events" are missing the point.

By the way, this is exactly why I never say I'm a poker pro when dealing with any service people or businesses. It gives the impression that I'm free with money and don't value it, which is of course the complete opposite of the truth. Instead, I say something like, "I work with computers", and unless they're fans of 8th tier poker personalities, they don't know any better. However, Deeb can't really do this because he's a much bigger name in poker than I am.

Comments

Mission146:

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: our 8th tier poker personality is god lol

Load Metric
    She should charge $200 an hour to clean that fat fuckers house. Which you know it's filthy as fuck.

He has no chance of winning this bet.

Comments

tyde: stupid fucking memes again holy shit you are one stupid motherfucker

Load Metric
    Maid service is vague and I can’t read Deeb for specifics. My friend owns a cleaning/maid service.

Not industrial outside a few offices, but very large homes. Idk how big Deebs house is. These are all 5k square foot and above summer homes on a lake that are 1.5 million and upward in an area you can buy a nice home for $150k outside this private lake community. During the year, you could get these done quick, but they don’t want it year round. In the summer it’s kids and grandkids and just a mess.

She needed like 5 hours and 3 or 4 workers, quote for 5 hours at x price, she’s a perfectionist so she quoted for 5, took 7, and still had to pay her workers and ended up working for minimum wage. She was cheap and excellent at the same time, which you can’t be.

She, in a matter of months given she was good and cheaper, had more jobs than she could do, not enough workers who worked like her, and I told her she’s insane if she doesn’t start quoting much more. She had a bunch of headaches and after spending $100 on supplies for each job, was at times working for free. She thought she was growing a business, but she was just getting more and more jobs she wasn’t going to make any money on. You can be excellent and pricey or average and charge what she was. You can’t be a perfectionist and cheap. Idk what Deeb was looking for, but it’s possible this lady if she came recommended already has more work than she needs, and spends a lot on supplies, and just quotes high and leaves it up to the prospective client. Plus maybe she does in 2 hours what someone else will do in 4. It just depends on who referred her to him or his wife or if she was just random.

Load Metric
    Those xxl underwear have to be nasty and for that reason 80 an hour is a bargain.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    Huge huge $$ making industry in So Fla.

I have two women come in a week for 1-1.5 hr and they get $130 and that is slightly under market rate.

Cleaning ladies are in huge demand. I told my wife if i get laid off in the next few years and only have a few more to go towards retirement Im going to open a cleaning business.

Comments

NickyPipes:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

LOL @ the chumps who say that's a fair price, and some even said they pay something similar. Stupid. Nobody should be making $80 per hour for cleaning houses. That's so much higher than the going rate anywhere (especially someone working for themselves). It doesn't matter how rich the client is. That should not affect the price being charged

Can LOL all you want buddy but its the market rate in So Fla. i mean Im sure i could get someone off the street with no experience/reputation but lets not forget these people are in your home. I Dont want just anyone in there.

Now - doest it make sense that its that much and is there a opportunity? I think so.

Load Metric
    You think something costs too much, don't buy it.

Lol fat poker cuckolds taking a grievance online, we all deal with this, especially the poors.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Gold
    Load Metric
    Totally unrelated question, is Deeb Jewish?

ANyhow

I talked to Bernie and we agree a cool hundred an hour is fair, that dude's almost certainly a pig.
    “They have surpassed all nations in impertinent fables, in bad conduct and in barbarism.”—François-Marie Voltaire

Silver
    Load Metric
    Everyone move to America. 20 miles from London cleaners charge £15-20 an hour .that’s $19-$25. Using their own car and cleaning products.
    Edit . That’s white English women … who probably didn’t trouble the tax man
    cmoney :It would be nice if Mexico could simply get human feces out of its drinking water

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Huge huge $$ making industry in So Fla.

I have two women come in a week for 1-1.5 hr and they get $130 and that is slightly under market rate.

Cleaning ladies are in huge demand. I told my wife if i get laid off in the next few years and only have a few more to go towards retirement Im going to open a cleaning business.
    I agree. I pay $180 for a bimonthly cleaning and they are usually at my house for 2 hours or so I’d guess. To be honest they don’t do that great of a job, I’m routinely dissatisfied but I am also not going to spend a few hours a month cleaning the house. Very worthwhile expense if you have the budget. I try to remove as many of these small tasks from my life as possible. I am not “cooking dinner” pal

By the way Druff, how much money the client has certainly should impact price. What type of chump business owner would show up at some mansion and not charge higher hourly rates than some one bedroom? I am not sure you would be the best at running a cleaning company pal

Comments

Starbucks Spunk Bucket: lol @ "cooking dinner"

Load Metric
    $80/hr for a really good cleaner is worth it, but another way of looking at it is she deliberately quoted him a high rate because she didnt like the vibes she was getting and was hoping he would turn her down, and if he didnt she wanted enough to deal with whatever drama she sensed brewing there.

my house cleaner in vegas would basically deep clean a 1500 sq ft house every 2 weeks in about 2 hours, id have gladly paid her $80 an hour if she asked for it.
    "Birds born in a cage think flying is an illness." - Alejandro Jodorowsky

"America is not so much a nightmare as a non-dream. The American non-dream is precisely a move to wipe the dream out of existence. The dream is a spontaneous happening and therefore dangerous to a control system set up by the non-dreamers." -- William S. Burroughs

Load Metric
    I live in the city (renting), but I own a 2 family house in an exclusive suburb 30mins north of Boston. Because I can't make it up there instantly when it snows, I'm charged 200$ every 3inch+ snowstorm for a landscaper to plow and salt our driveway. If I could make it up, it would take me one hour to do the same task with a shovel.
    I called numerous companies for snow removal quotes, and this was literally the lowest price; it's assumed I'm wealthy because I own in Lexington. (Thanks micon.)

I shovel the exact same snow for my own elderly landlord, who has a longer, wider driveway, free of charge. If she had to pay someone else, 75-100 would get the job done.

Location and perceived wealth is a completely legitimate concern when pricing a job for a customer. Because I understand that, I have zero headaches regarding my situation. Of course, I'm not a fat fuck, which I assume makes a person cranky. And cheap, obv.

Comments

Sanlmar: Minutemen

Load Metric
    $80 is about the number.

Our business had cleaners. The lead cleaner was an insane perfectionist. I hooked her up with a single friend of mine that works out of his house. He’s the laziest fuck that ever walked the earth.

I know several men and women who work out of their house doing an honest 25hrs/wk (lol 2020’s) and they have cleaners. The Jew in me can not comprehend hiring someone to do what I can easily do.

These cleaners are insured, use their own vehicle, use their own supplies and vacuum etc. $80 prolly doesn’t leave a huge margin.

My wife continually brings the subject of a cleaner up and I can’t grab a toilet brush fast enough. Not kidding. In fact, I recently bought a hand held Bissell steam cleaner that I use on kitchen counters and bathroom surfaces. If you have any cleaning questions I’m your guy and a cheap fuck.

Now Vegas ain’t Massachusetts so maybe $80 skews high. I’m sure Deeb is as lazy and slovenly as my single friend. Being a slug is gonna cost you I guess.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntmissioner View Post
    I live in the city (renting), but I own a 2 family house in an exclusive suburb 30mins north of Boston. Because I can't make it up there instantly when it snows, I'm charged 200$ every 3inch+ snowstorm for a landscaper to plow and salt our driveway. If I could make it up, it would take me one hour to do the same task with a shovel.
    I called numerous companies for snow removal quotes, and this was literally the lowest price; it's assumed I'm wealthy because I own in Lexington. (Thanks micon.)

I shovel the exact same snow for my own elderly landlord, who has a longer, wider driveway, free of charge. If she had to pay someone else, 75-100 would get the job done.

Location and perceived wealth is a completely legitimate concern when pricing a job for a customer. Because I understand that, I have zero headaches regarding my situation. Of course, I'm not a fat fuck, which I assume makes a person cranky. And cheap, obv.
    2 family in Lexington you brilliant bastard. Premium rent and premium tenants. I can imagine how well you’ve done.

Winning

We are gonna get murdered with snow. You gotta find a high school kid and buy a snow blower for him. Leave a note in a local Planet Fitness. Leave notes in neighbors mailboxes.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    In a strong field, he is the most unlikeable person in poker IMO.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Daly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

LOL @ the chumps who say that's a fair price, and some even said they pay something similar. Stupid. Nobody should be making $80 per hour for cleaning houses. That's so much higher than the going rate anywhere (especially someone working for themselves). It doesn't matter how rich the client is. That should not affect the price being charged

Can LOL all you want buddy but its the market rate in So Fla. i mean Im sure i could get someone off the street with no experience/reputation but lets not forget these people are in your home. I Dont want just anyone in there.

Now - doest it make sense that its that much and is there a opportunity? I think so.
    Doesn't sound like that's the market rate, from what you're saying.

You said you pay $130 for two women to spend about 90 minutes at your house. That breaks out to each woman making $43/hr.

From Deeb's story, it seems the woman herself is charging 80/hour. When you have multiple people doing it, obviously the hourly rate is higher because the work gets done much faster.

Load Metric
    Deeb is clearly going about this wrong. Hire himself some illegal Mexicans and theyll do it for much cheaper just make sure he doesnt leave anything of value out that sticky fingers might grab. He should be able to get somebody for 15-20/hr without a problem and thats still above min wage.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I don't understand a lot of you defending the $80/rate.

She has every right to charge it, and if Deeb doesn't like it, he shouldn't get angry. He should just decline and hire someone else. That's business. You'd think that Deeb would know this, as his own family has run a small-medium business since he was born (google "Ted's Fish Fry").

However, he's correct that this is an outrageously high rate for a sole woman cleaning houses. If you worked full time at that rate, it would equate to $166k/year, which would be an astoundingly good rate for a maid in any market. Even if you subtract some money for cleaning supplies, downtime between clients, and whatever, she's still clearing 6 figures at this rate if she works a full schedule.

Now, if you live in a market which has far more clients than available housecleaners, sure, then supply/demand applies. It's the same reason Uber charged $100 to go two miles after the recent Metallica concert in LA. But much like Uber couldn't charge $100 for a 2-mile drive during anything but super-high-demand periods, a cleaning woman cannot charge $80/hour in a normal market and get many clients.

I also don't understand the logic of, "Well, Deeb is probably a slob, so the woman needs to charge more." Not necessarily. If he's a slob, the job will take longer, so she doesn't need to charge extra to account for that.

The only excuse to charge a very high rate is for a "first time cleaning", where the place requires a massive amount of intense labor to get out deep dirt buildup. But after that first cleaning, a weekly maintenance cleaning shouldn't continue to be such a high price, even if the customer is a slob.

The simple explanation is likely the correct one. She knew Deeb was a rich poker pro (this is confirmed due to her knowledge of his weight loss bet), and she thought he would be dumb enough to pay it.

Cubic Zirconia
    Load Metric
    The price might be too high, but what matters is the total cost of the cleaning. A young, fit woman who works very quickly is going to finish much faster than an older fat lady. She's also not getting $80/hour just for cleaning. She has to buy chemicals, equipment, gas, a vehicle, vehicle insurance, licensing, bonding/insurance, along with spending time to buy all of these things.

We also have to speculate about the state of this man's house. I'm sure you get a higher quote if there is a bunch of shit piled up on the floor, furniture, and counters and the maid is expected to do more than just actually clean surfaces. This is going to make anyone assume the house will be more nasty on average in the places that matter when they come to clean.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    When I lived in Vegas, I had a girl coming out from out-of-town, and I hadn't had my apartment cleaned in awhile. I was embarrassed to let her see the apartment that way, so I quickly went onto Craigslist and advertised for housecleaners.

I settled on one who seemed decent, had references, and was very reasonably priced. I didn't post the rate I was looking to pay. I simply posted an accurate description of the job, and then asked anyone interested to send me what they'd charge.

Anyway, she no-showed. I checked my e-mail and had nothing. I then realized I never got her phone #. I e-mailed her, and got a response about an hour later that "an emergency" came up, and she was "sorry". Ugh. The girl I invited was coming the following morning, and it was getting later in the day.

I ran back to Craigslist and reposted the ad, but modified it to state that I needed a same-day cleaning. Well, I got a woman responding who seemed decent enough. No references, but she wrote well and offered a good price. She said she'd bring her own supplies, too.

Well, I thought this one was no-showing also, as she was like 30 minutes late. However, I had her phone number, and when I called, she said she was running behind and would definitely be there. Fingers crossed. She sounded middle-aged.

Well, indeed she showed up. She looked mid-40s and had kind of a methy look to her, which I wasn't thrilled about, but she had no idea who I was, and my apartment was an ordinary one with cheap furniture. In fact, that's exactly why I wasn't worried about hiring some random off Craigslist, because there was no indication to anyone coming over that I had money (and in fact, it looked like the opposite).

But then a second woman came in behind her, who looked very different. It was a really hot chick in her early 20s!

The older woman introduced the young one as her daughter, who would be "helping" clean my apartment. To their credit, they did a good job, I gave them a little extra over the agreed upon amount, and they left.

But I was sitting there really wondering how a hot early 20s girl in Vegas was so low on life options that she had to clean apartments with her methy looking mom for peanuts. Just seemed like someone who looked like she would have a lot more options than that, especially in Vegas.

I was curious enough to where I went back to her mom's email and grabbed the name on it, and looked it up on Facebook. From there I found the daughter, and then googled her name. I saw a few arrests on her record, including one for brutally beating up another girl, so I guess the chick had issues. She was quiet and polite when doing the job, though.

I have to imagine that, about 15 years later, she and the mom probably aren't doing that great.

Comments

Sloppy Joe: Lol

Thread Information