Thread: Self-driving cars legal in both California and Nevada

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Self-driving cars legal in both California and Nevada

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/tech/i...nia/index.html

However, they are not allowed to operate right now without a licensed driver behind the wheel to take over in case of problems.

They have driven 300,000 miles total on Nevada roads so far.

Personally I think it would be freaky seeing a car driving itself, and I wouldn't feel comfortable around it.

As easily as humans can make mistakes, computers can be even worse, because they cannot make reasoned decisions in unusual situations. They are only as good as their programming.

I do think that technology to prevent accidents (such as not letting you steer into another vehicle or an object) could be very helpful to save lives. I just don't like the idea of the cars driving themselves.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/tech/i...nia/index.html

However, they are not allowed to operate right now without a licensed driver behind the wheel to take over in case of problems.

They have driven 300,000 miles total on Nevada roads so far.

Personally I think it would be freaky seeing a car driving itself, and I wouldn't feel comfortable around it.

As easily as humans can make mistakes, computers can be even worse, because they cannot make reasoned decisions in unusual situations. They are only as good as their programming.

I do think that technology to prevent accidents (such as not letting you steer into another vehicle or an object) could be very helpful to save lives. I just don't like the idea of the cars driving themselves.

That's a slippery step towards something that just does not feel right. I don't see the benefit. These cars might be less likely to partake in a getaway from a bank robbery, other than that it's just Google trying to own the earth.

Load Metric
    I think these should be required by people who are convicted on multiple drunk driving arrests. You know dam well they are not going to stop driving forever and the statistics are there to prove they are likely to repeat as offenders. People are going to have to drive for work/school/food/etc. This may be a good thing in the future to mandate/change the law etc.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/outreach...1995/TT085.htm

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by TUFFTURF View Post
    I think these should be required by people who are convicted on multiple drunk driving arrests. You know dam well they are not going to stop driving forever and the statistics are there to prove they are likely to repeat as offenders. People are going to have to drive for work/school/food/etc. This may be a good thing in the future to mandate/change the law etc.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/people/outreach...1995/TT085.htm

Now that you mention it the elderly would fit right in here. Most don't know what day it is and can't turn their head around to see if traffic is coming

Load Metric
    Gallo told me yesterday that he thinks in 10 years, 50% of the cars on the road will be these types of cars.

Im a bit skeptical. I dont see that many people giving up control (and being at the mercy of a computer that could break/short circuit/be overrun by tiny computer viruses created by Al Gore).

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK Star View Post
    Gallo told me yesterday that he thinks in 10 years, 50% of the cars on the road will be these types of cars.

Im a bit skeptical. I dont see that many people giving up control (and being at the mercy of a computer that could break/short circuit/be overrun by tiny computer viruses created by Al Gore).
    I read an article last week that said by 2040 they will be the norm. People will be like "Dying behind the wheel? LOL that is so primitive."

Here is an article from earlier this week.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/eco-nomi...-over-by-2040/
    "You run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole; you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."

Load Metric
    We trust our lives to computors now so why should driving be any different?
    (•_•) ..
    ∫\ \___( •_•)
    _∫∫ _∫∫ɯ \ \

Quote Originally Posted by Hockey Guy
    I'd say good luck in the freeroll but I'm pretty sure you'll go on a bender to self-sabotage yourself & miss it completely or use it as the excuse of why you didn't cash.

Thread Information