Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How good is your password?

Load Metric

How good is your password?

I have been using this site and love it for on the fly password changes when working with clients. I tend to find most people use a password of the following form:

one letter of the alphabet, sometimes capitalized to thwart hackers (x or d or X or D seems to be the most common)

their name plus wifi, or their computer's name plus wifi

pet name (I have come across three moose passwords which I found funny as my mom made the fourth)

something very similar to the wifi name (a recent one was rabbit wired for the wifi, the password was rabbitwired I mean come on)

and for the most part those passwords are pathetic with no capitalizations no number switches and the biggest one-NO SPACES! Every single person I've worked with has been SHOCKED I use spaces, like someone told them years ago password's have a rule book and spaces aren't allowed. They are and they make the whole thing MUCH MUCH easier.

So the problem becomes finding a password that your average computer goober can remember and feel comfortable with that also is tough to crack. For that here is a site I use and find it convenient, http://howsecureismypassword.net/

and the results from my gmail password

It would take a desktop PC about 3 trillion years
    to crack your password
    SHOW DETAILS

I made it super easy to remember using a phrase with spaces that sticks in my mind.

For example, try "Better To Be Lucky" - 16 quadrillion years to crack your password

You can mess around with variations but my advice is to use passwords that you will easily remember, can type on the fly (meaning using all sorts of symbols and crap just makes it harder to enter on your ipad or iphone, the fluff isnt' really needed)

like, "Poker Fraud Alert" takes 234 trillion years to crack is simple and easy to remember and fast to type.

fin
    Quote Originally Posted by sonatine
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    It would take a desktop PC about
    105 trillion years
    to crack your password

Banned
    Load Metric
    REAL TALK MY PASSWORD IS GONNA TAKE YOU 359 billion sexagintillion years

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by lewfather View Post
    REAL TALK MY PASSWORD IS GONNA TAKE YOU 359 billion sexagintillion years
    Same amount of time 408 will take to make a decent post.

Banned
    Load Metric
    Name:  Wigan+Arsenal.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  51.2 KB

Load Metric
    Great scam to steal passwords

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Takes a hundred zillion years to crack the password, or one well-named website to get you to give it up voluntarily.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike View Post
    Every single person I've worked with

Im sure they were more surprised that you managed to set aside time for them in between managing that friends gym, meeting the Navy interviewers, going to state funded mental health clinics, failing to protect your dinner from cats, taming black widows, scamming your elderly cat collecting neighbor, and burrowing through garbage cans for cigarette butts.

Load Metric
    I have been using this site and love it for on the fly password changes when working with clients.
    I love how you use the word "client" like you're a Harvard educated lawyer with an immensely successful practice. When in reality you are an unemployed fool with a room temperature IQ who in reality knows about 1/10 of what he thinks he does about computers. Please stop referring to the 98 year old across the street who gave you $5 for getting his homepage set to hotmail as a "client".

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike
    Anyway, I have to go, I have to go hang out with some dude and his cat and pretend to be earning the money he pays me when I am basically just playing computer games, setting up a vpn and troubleshooting whenever shit doesn't work. This hardly seems like work, and that makes me love it.
    You are a piece of shit Mike. Scamming your "clients" like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Strucker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmksmkn View Post
    Does anybody know if u can get a work visa for playing online poker in the UK
    I have had Issues with credit cards in Europe
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyde View Post
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Muck Ficon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 408Mike
    Anyway, I have to go, I have to go hang out with some dude and his cat and pretend to be earning the money he pays me when I am basically just playing computer games, setting up a vpn and troubleshooting whenever shit doesn't work. This hardly seems like work, and that makes me love it.
    Name one single instance where I've ever said I enjoy playing video games. You won't find one, why? Because I don't play any.

The inference you mongs failed to catch is that doing computer work is not work to me, it's actually something I enjoy doing, and from a mental perspective it's the same as playing video games.

and fuck you wiganer, what solid gold have YOU contributed in your half decade on the forums?

thought so
    i was pretty butt-hurt when mike said he didnt want to fuck with my home game because i was trannie-bombing threads, but ive definitely come to appreciate mike as a poster and a person and feel genuinely that the last thing on earth he deserves is a dime-store bipolar fruitcake like marty threatening him.

Load Metric

Name one single instance where I've ever said I enjoy playing video games. You won't find one, why? Because I don't play any.

The inference you mongs failed to catch is that doing computer work is not work to me, it's actually something I enjoy doing, and from a mental perspective it's the same as playing video games.

and fuck you wiganer, what solid gold have YOU contributed in your half decade on the forums?

thought so
    To be fair, when you were on radio you spent like 20 minutes talking about how much you loved video games and how beating them in 1 day was a goal of yours as a child

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasep View Post

thought so
    To be fair, when you were on radio you spent like 20 minutes talking about how much you loved video games and how beating them in 1 day was a goal of yours as a child
    Mike is a meth addict and his mom used to feed him pennies. His memory probably isn't the best.
    you're more consumed with accumulating wealth than achieving spiritual enlightenment
    Getting a little surf and turf tonight. In my world that is Sea Bass with a nice lobster tail on the side. And grilled asparagus. It's nice having money.

Load Metric

thought so

Careful Jasep, if you feed 408mike's pathological need for attention, next week he will be starting a poker forum and radio show and generally doing half assed imitations of the rest of your life wherever hes still allowed to post.

Load Metric

thought so
    In all fairness you have a very good point.

I presume too much at times, I tend to think people follow me closely enough to know what's going on in my day to day.

Video games died for me at around age 25, no particular reason why, and I still own at racing games when I get to play, but I don't go out of my way to do so.

Load Metric

Mike is a meth addict and his mom used to feed him pennies. His memory probably isn't the best.
    Stop the slander jackass. When you have proof I am one thing or another, then talk. Until then, shut the fuck up please.

My memory is sick good but it's like a computer, it will do anything within it's capabilities perfectly if it's given the right command. If I learned how to control it, I'd be a human hard drive. As is, I can glance at a box of matches that just hit the floor and guess to a close (~20 or so) number how many hit the floor. That's not bad, not great, but not bad.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe Diddly View Post
    Takes a hundred zillion years to crack the password, or one well-named website to get you to give it up voluntarily.
    So try using a password on the site with the same number of characters number substitutions spaces and see what it tells you?

My intention wasn't so much to help you guys, it was more targeted at the average joe who has joe88 or joe1977 for his/her password. You know, people like family, friends, your church or whatever, there are a surprisingly large number of people out there without a clue what they should be doing. If you try to help them by saying their password is weak, they assume you mean it should be like fje9432jwpf-0 =a0f jfvjw9 .k, or something like that, which is really unnecessary. Really good really easy to remember really easy to type passwords can be had and that kind of help is realy appreciated by a lot of people, that's been my experience anyway.

case in point- your password is lewfeather, after reading my post you decide to try out Lew Feather to see if it makes that big a difference. Try it out and see. (9 hours vs a thousand years)

Your dad asks you to help harden his system but he's got a bad memory and hates to write things down. Sky High Tuna, would that be a worthy password in this situation? I'd like to think so, but to make sure, test it out. (9 million years for the record)

You get me?
    Last edited by 408Mike; 09-24-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Load Metric
    It might be, the owner of the site might just be ssh'ing into every computer on every network his port scanner could come up with after his IP address harvester turned out the goods this afternoon.

Or maybe the guy is smart enough to realize anyone dumb enough to enter their password and then not go back and change it after would probably not be worth cracking in the first place.

well, there are those who would do so just for the big payoff of knowing what people try to hide, but nevermind them.

Your password won't save you anyway, and you'll never know they were there.

Load Metric
    Last and I'm out for a while, it's not hackers you are trying to thwart (usually) it's bots. Lots and lots of bots hammering away at your gmail your home pc your router I mean the list is vast but not as vast as the amount of fucking bots making mincemeat out of kelly101 or something. Lots of people have X for a password because they give up on being able to remember anything good, unaware good passwords aren't all that diffcult to create.

Load Metric
    What a great thread. I mean this whole time passwords confused me. Thank you Mike, this has been a real eye opener for me. SPACES in a password?!? You sir, are a pioneer!

Thread Information