Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ex Pat advice thread

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    You looking to buy or rent?
    Looking at rental prices I would prefer to buy, but I'm not sure how mortgages or whatever work there. If I had to pay cash and move capital around probably wouldn't work, as a lot of it is tied up in real estate producing income. Those are all long term holds I set up to never touch really.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    I'd consider St Thomas islands. Been there more times than I can count. It's a great island. Bumped into Brad Pitt there at a bar, true story. Taller than you would think. Always thought he was this really short guy.
    So you were bumping Brad Pitt. Not many people can say they've had anal sex with Brad Pitt. Congratulations!
    POKER FAG ALERT! FOR BLOW JOB SEE SLOPPY JOE THE TRANNIE HO.

Bronze
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simply1 View Post
    You looking to buy or rent?
    Looking at rental prices I would prefer to buy, but I'm not sure how mortgages or whatever work there. If I had to pay cash and move capital around probably wouldn't work, as a lot of it is tied up in real estate producing income. Those are all long term holds I set up to never touch really.
    Benefit to renting is you can easily leave if you don’t end up wanting to settle there. Be a nomad, maybe it takes two or three moves before you find your forever home.

Not quite the same scenario as yours but I did own a vacation home in the Caribbean for 12 years so I do know the pitfalls of ownership. Insurance and maintenance costs are unreal & you’re always waiting for the storm of the century to flatten you.

Now, we just travel somewhere different each winter on 2-8 week rentals.

If I’m you I’d rent for sure… short leases if possible. Good luck

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NaturalBornHustler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Texter View Post

Aruba is too expensive for the OP and a windy desert, did you even read the OP. You can’t play golf in that kind of wind.

Dude is on a limited budget.
    I'm not on a "limited budget". you peasant. I just don't like wasting money on shit I don't need to. And deal with all the nonsense that comes with living on an island. Wouldn't be where I am if I blew money like you fucking degens do. Oh and the winds at the TPC are just as strong, I mean it is literally on the fucking Caribbean. I can play in anything.

I don't want to blow unnecessary money living on a tiny fucking island that needs every God damn thing brought in by a fucking boat. I know the poors like to blow the money they don't have going there on a vacation they can't afford, but I' doing this (almost) year round not for a week.
    You are begging for advice on a cheap place to retire on PFA and I’m the peasant…haha. Panama is still the answer, good healthcare, good golf, good country club style living….or head to Thailand, plenty of golf. Why would you choose to play golf in a wind tunnel when you don’t have to.

Load Metric
    I just had a flashback to a recent stay on the Dominican Republic.

I did a AirBnB kinda thing. I’m walking downtown and looking at the new construction and nicer homes. Daydreams of being an expat like you and Micon.

I would see guys sitting on a painters bucket at the end of the driveway with a rifle.

I wrote about going to the super market and running my cart over a private security guards foot in the parking lot and this kid was holding something that looked like an assault rifle. Maybe that belongs in tgulls brush with death thread.

Great wind surfing and I’m an island guy but nothing long term

You should check out Haiti and get in on the ground floor

Thread Information