Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move over Bud Light... now Miller Lite is facing the music for woke propaganda ad

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Move over Bud Light... now Miller Lite is facing the music for woke propaganda ad

On March 7, Miller Lite quietly posted a new woke ad, where an angry-looking feminist chided the entire beer industry for having "sexist ads featuring women in bikinis". The theme of the ad was that women "were the original ones brewing beer" (something which is apparently historically inaccurate), and therefore the beer industry needs to make up for its supposed disrespect to them in recent decades.

The woman claims that Miller Lite is "scouring the internet and buying back" all of the objectifying ads of all beer brands (not just theirs).

What would this look like? How would this work? How can you "buy back" old sexist ads? Are they offering money to those running nostalgic advertisement websites and YouTube channels to take them down? How can they buy back property of other companies?

This isn't explained. Instead, they show a bizarre sequence where the "bad shit" (offensive ads) are turned into compost to grow hops, which are then sent (for free?) to present-day female brewers.

Uhhhhhh..... what??!

That's not how composting works. I guess this is some kind of joke, but it's being treated completely seriously, and there's no humorous tone to the claim at all.

In fact, they even put up a link, millerlite.com/badsht2goodsht, where you can help "donate back" any sexist stuff you can find, and join the effort. Again, what?!

The link is no longer active, and it wasn't saved from archival services due to the site's age-checking portal, which halts access until you certify that you're 21+. (Since bots doing archiving can't enter anything, there's no archive of what was actually on that page once you get in.)

This obnoxious and strange ad wasn't known until over 2 months later, because it didn't last very long. Shortly after the backlash to the Dylan Mulvaney Bud Light ad, Miller realized they fucked up, and they yanked down this internet-only ad before anyone took notice.

Except someone did take notice, saved it, and now it made it into the hands of conservative commentators everywhere. That's how I have it to post above.

So I guess it's not just Bud Light making idiotic ads pissing off their existing market base. Imagine telling Miller Lite drinkers, who tend to be overwhelmingly young and blue-collar males, that they shouldn't enjoy seeing women in bikinis. How does that sell more beer? Posting an ad like this wasn't likely to move the needle on woke drinkers or female drinkers of the beer, but it was quite likely to piss off a lot of existing male customers.

In fact, the woman they chose for the ad comes off extremely unpleasant. Rather than presenting this as an uplifting, positive message for women, she's full of anger and blame, and will probably remind male drinkers of angry teachers or college professors scolding them years ago.

Horribly bad marketing.

Even if you agree with the message that the bikini ads were sexist, it's still horribly bad marketing.

Miller Lite hasn't commented yet. I'm sure they want this to go away, but now conservative social media is pushing for another boycott, similar to the (surprisingly effective) one against Anheuser Busch products.

Miller Lite's best approach here is to put out a statement, walk this back as a mistake, blame it on a marketer out of control, and kill the story before it keep growing.

Load Metric
    Is this commercial even real? I can't imagine any product equating their brand to "shit". Take the woke symbolism out of it, who on earth would use the word shit 10 times in an advertisement for human consumption. I have to believe this is a deep fake. Nobody would ever sign off on that.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    I guess Miller did put out a statement, and it was defiant.

Brewer Molson Coors, who owns Miller Lite, said:

This video was about two things: worm poop and saying women shouldn’t be forced to mud wrestle in order to sell beer. Neither of these things should be remotely controversial and we hope beer drinkers can appreciate the humor (and ridiculousness) of this video from back in March.

This was a dumb statement, because the video wasn't released with a humorous or ridiculous tone. It seemed to making some kind of serious point that Miller was going to financially support modern female brewers with some kind of effort regarding composting previous sexist ads. If this was a joke, it wasn't funny (or clear) at all.

I also don't recall women being "forced to wrestle" at any point. This was in reference to a somewhat controversial 2003 ad, where two women were arguing "Taste Great" and "Less Filling" regarding Miller Lite, and tearing off each other's clothes. Some said this was sexist, but in no way were any women "forced" to do this. This was an acting job where the women voluntarily signed up, and were presumably paid fairly.

It is bizarre to me how the woke left defends sex work as "real work", and wants to both fully legalize it and remove the shame from it, yet finds it "sexist" when sexy women are used to sell products.

Comments

Mission146:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    Is this commercial even real? I can't imagine any product equating their brand to "shit". Take the woke symbolism out of it, who on earth would use the word shit 10 times in an advertisement for human consumption. I have to believe this is a deep fake. Nobody would ever sign off on that.
    It's real.

The repetition of the word "shit" was one of many things criticized about it.

The ad was not a deep fake or a hoax. I found in internet archives that the URL I linked (which was made just for the ad) did indeed appear on March 7, yet no longer works. That is consistent with the entire story.

Furthermore, Miller Lite has commented on it, as you can see in my update post.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tgull View Post
    It's real.

The repetition of the word "shit" was one of many things criticized about it.

The ad was not a deep fake or a hoax. I found in internet archives that the URL I linked (which was made just for the ad) did indeed appear on March 7, yet no longer works. That is consistent with the entire story.

Furthermore, Miller Lite has commented on it, as you can see in my update post.
    Well since its real, the product should be boycotted. Not for wokeness, the fact the word shit is used time and again about their product. Who on earth thought some mildy unattractive woman talking about shit would be well received? Who would want to consume a brand where its talked about literally with shit? Total fail.You would never see this with say McDonalds. Could you imagine McDonalds having a quarter pounder commercial with that chick talking about feces?

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    BTW, you can't compost most of the old print posters and cutouts.

Anything on glossy or colored paper cannot be composted due to toxicity.

The ad makes zero sense but takes itself very seriously.

Platinum
    Load Metric
    Miller lite is shit, slightly less shit than bud light…but shit is shit.

The commercial could have been effective if it was done in a spirit of fun but that just seemed super negative.

Men are sexist pieces of shit basically.

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: shit is shit rep

Jayjami: Your assessment of beers is correct

Gold
    Load Metric
    Listen pal you shouldn’t be sitting around watching “beer” “ads”

Comments

Baron Von Strucker: yup

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by NickyPipes View Post
    Listen pal you shouldn’t be sitting around watching “beer” “ads”
    Listen pal, I don't drink beer, and I don't tend to watch ads if I can help it.

This was unearthed by conservative media this week, and I felt it was an interesting discussion topic.

Gold
    Load Metric
    BTW, you can't compost most of the old print posters and cutouts.

Anything on glossy or colored paper cannot be composted due to toxicity.

The ad makes zero sense but takes itself very seriously.
    Yea, it mocks anyone into sustainability. Mailing stuff to them for them to do what? It is condescending. It is a lot of things.

I don't really care about the woke angle. Women have been around just as long as men and if there is an ad aimed at women then so be it.

Basically some marketing dbags sat around thinking .. 'what demographic should we reach out to?' and this was the result. Hippy women BUT only the dumb ones.

Load Metric
    at least it's not faggot trannies

if they want to rewrite history and put women ahead and you believe it you're an idiot but my god thank God it wasn't some ugly faggot tranny with his big fag tranny dick hanging out

Comments

splitthis: Lol

Banned
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by dwai View Post
    at least it's not faggot trannies

if they want to rewrite history and put women ahead and you believe it you're an idiot but my god thank God it wasn't some ugly faggot tranny with his big fag tranny dick hanging out

DWAI FOR MOD

Name:  078D808F-F3B4-4A79-BE86-148C98538AA0.png
Views: 458
Size:  257.7 KB

Comments

dwai:

Load Metric

This video was about two things: worm poop and saying women shouldn’t be forced to mud wrestle in order to sell beer. Neither of these things should be remotely controversial and we hope beer drinkers can appreciate the humor (and ridiculousness) of this video from back in March.

This was a dumb statement, because the video wasn't released with a humorous or ridiculous tone. It seemed to making some kind of serious point that Miller was going to financially support modern female brewers with some kind of effort regarding composting previous sexist ads. If this was a joke, it wasn't funny (or clear) at all.

I also don't recall women being "forced to wrestle" at any point. This was in reference to a somewhat controversial 2003 ad, where two women were arguing "Taste Great" and "Less Filling" regarding Miller Lite, and tearing off each other's clothes. Some said this was sexist, but in no way were any women "forced" to do this. This was an acting job where the women voluntarily signed up, and were presumably paid fairly.

It is bizarre to me how the woke left defends sex work as "real work", and wants to both fully legalize it and remove the shame from it, yet finds it "sexist" when sexy women are used to sell products.
    DISAGREE WITH:

I can't believe that I'm going to take the opposite side and defend the (content of) commercial. If you read long enough, then you will see that I oppose a lot of the message, so I'm only defending the superficial content.

First of all, the commercial starts with an obviously fake, 'fact' that you called out as being an obviously fake fact. What gender was the first beer brewer? How could anyone ever fucking know!?

Because the commercial starts with such a ludicrous statement, that should be an indication that it is intended to be humorous. At least, for those wishing to be objective, it would indicate an attempt at humor.

Something doesn't necessarily have to actually land to still have the intent of humor.

The next thing we note is that the word, "Shit," is used almost a dozen times. I suppose more than a dozen if we count written instances. Would a commercial meant to promote a serious idea use the word shit a dozen times? I don't think so. I thought Conservatives were usually concerned about the context of things? You guys really think Miller should be cancelled over this? What a bunch of woke ass pussies.

She smells the goddamn fertilizer! She smells the goddamn fertilizer and you're telling me nothing is meant to be funny!? Come the fuck on, Druff, you're better than this.

Beer commercials also have a long history of attempting to be humorous.

Given all of the above, anyone who sees this commercial as anything other than an, arguably poor, attempt at humor, is seeing what they want to see and is just looking to get their rocks off by being outraged at something like a bunch of woke ass pussies.

The next aspect to note is that the commercial is clearly meant to target women.

I don't think Miller Lite, "Realized they fucked up," after the Dylan Mulvaney ad; I think Miller realized that a commercial, which would normally be disregarded as objectively silly, would be the subject of righteous outrage by conservatives after the Dylan Mulvaney ad. Essentially, this ad only becomes a negative for them because of the Dylan Mulvaney fiasco; not because it's an ad that would have independently attracted ire on its own.

An argument could be made that this commercial was also meant as something of a poke at stereotypical feminists, but I'm not confident enough to make that argument. I think it might have been the intent, but if so, wasn't clear enough.

AGREE WITH:

First of all, angry female teachers and college professors are hot. I won't have it otherwise. If you don't think so, then your dick doesn't work. Who doesn't like emotionally tough women? Come on, man!

That out of the way, I do agree that this isn't an ad meant for their usual market, but that by itself isn't a negative.

Again, if not Dylan Mulvaney, which isn't Miller's fault, then none of you would even know about this ad.

That said, they shouldn't use verbiage about women being, 'Forced,' to do stuff. As you mentioned, they were paid actresses. My memory may be off, but didn't they also go around the country to Miller events to do their staged, "Great Taste; Less Filling," fight? They were on so many commercials I do know that.

I don't know that they, "Made bank," because even Union commercial actresses don't necessarily make a ton, especially by the standards of if you're living in L.A., or something, but there would have been any number of women falling over themselves to get that gig, so nobody was forced to do anything and that verbiage is absurd, not even comically absurd, even if it was meant in jest...which is debatable.

I would also think that some attorney could actually build a case around that in favor of those Great Taste, Less Filling girls; Miller Lite literally put out a commercial admitting they were forced to do it.. I mean, if publicly admitting that you forced women to mud wrestle couldn't, technically, constitute strong evidence against a company, then I don't know what does. I don't see a disclaimer!

If I had to guess, they were going to target this internet ad to sites that would mostly appeal to women.

I grant that the humor misses the mark and some of the suggestions about, 'Forcing,' women to do this or that are ridiculous, but this simply wasn't a commercial intended for the core market. I imagine that the core market was not meant to see it, nor would have seen it, but for the Mulvaney ads.

Anyway, if this is going to get you woke ass weeping little daffodils to drink from local breweries because this ad, that you weren't the intended target of, pisses you off---and not the fact that Miller Lite is deer piss---then, I guess, all the better because you're still choosing local breweries instead.

Load Metric
    Hey, you guys should all subscribe to cable and watch Lifetime all day to see if you can find any commercials to get pissed about! LMFAO

Load Metric

Best part of this is you know that the casting director for the commercial was given notes from miller light like "woman, 30ish, attractive but not TOO attractive... downplay sexiness with a sweater".

(Also not all feminists defend sex work. There are plenty that view it as demeaning and simply "playing into the patriarchy", or whatever. I've known a few like that where the rest of their beliefs still fall into "woke left")

Comments

Mission146:

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by gut View Post

Best part of this is you know that the casting director for the commercial was given notes from miller light like "woman, 30ish, attractive but not TOO attractive... downplay sexiness with a sweater".

(Also not all feminists defend sex work. There are plenty that view it as demeaning and simply "playing into the patriarchy", or whatever. I've known a few like that where the rest of their beliefs still fall into "woke left")
    I mean, fuck those ones (specifically), right?

Let's assume that they are correct and sex work, indeed, "Plays into the patriarchy." Should these sex worker women not have the right to profit by, "Playing into the patriarchy," if that is how they wish to make money? Again, I'm not saying it does play into that, but even if it did, shouldn't that be the choice of the sex workers to do so? Women are supposed to have the right to choose their own paths, right?

Also, where are these women who would complain this when it comes to offering these sex workers alternative employment that would pay the same amount of money they're making? I think I hear crickets.

You don't lift women up by choosing an entire category of women and demean what they do for a living.

It's not my cup of tea, personally. I don't even morally agree with sex work, but my morals don't matter and people should not have to live according to my moral set. I personally prefer that all manner of sex be given voluntarily, and freely, because both participants wish to do so, not because one of the participants needs, or perceives themselves as needing, to do so in order to make bills.

At the same time, there are a great number of guys who simply couldn't get pussy any other way, so I guess I should account for that. Of course, the prevailing attitudes about women, in certain circles, most certainly isn't helping the prospects of those guys so situated.

At the end of the day, I think the ultimate principle is freedom of choice: You either believe in it, or you don't. If you are a woman who doesn't believe that other women should have the right to choose their own path, whatever that path may be, then I would argue that you are not socially liberal at all and, similar to some Evangelical types, are demanding that all women live according to your personal standards for them---which is oppressive and wrong.
    Last edited by Mission146; 05-18-2023 at 08:24 AM.

Load Metric
    Its sad that the right have turned into as big of snowflakes as the left, ready to cancel things at any moment. They've lost their libertarian roots.

Is the commercial cringe? Yes
    Does the beer industry have a history of sexualizing women? Absolutely.
    Is that a bad thing? Depends who you ask.

But the fact that people are up in arms about this is pathetic. Who gives a shit?

When companies made a shitty commercial in the past we just laughed about it. Now everyone is acting like someone just drew Mohammed.

Comments

Mission146:
    PokerfraudAlert acknowledges that our message board is on the unceded, unsurrendered Territory of Donkdown.com who's presence stretches back to that of Neverwinpoker and the Lithuanians. As such we acknowledge the great role that Tony G, Jewdonk, any many other Lithuanians have contributed to our community.

Load Metric
    "sexist ads featuring women in bikinis".
    I’m not an expert, but I believe this is called marketing to your target audience.

Load Metric
    Imbrace the gayness.

Bud Light is now 100% GAY.

Gold
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by BetCheckBet View Post
    Its sad that the right have turned into as big of snowflakes as the left, ready to cancel things at any moment. They've lost their libertarian roots.

Is the commercial cringe? Yes
    Does the beer industry have a history of sexualizing women? Absolutely.
    Is that a bad thing? Depends who you ask.

But the fact that people are up in arms about this is pathetic. Who gives a shit?

When companies made a shitty commercial in the past we just laughed about it. Now everyone is acting like someone just drew Mohammed.
    Many people are looking for reasons to be offended or up in arms as you put it. They like being in constant state of agitation. What Miller did here was dumb but not offensive. What Bud did wasn't offensive either. I'm pretty sure anyone old enough to drink a beer can handle seeing a couple trannys without losing their composure. Target going after children; now that is offensive! This is all just to distract the right from what is taking place in many/most schools, including colleges, which is far more radical than some guy with a mental illness being featured on a beer can.

Comments

Mission146:

Thread Information