Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dodgers get themselves into hot water, promoting Catholic-hating LGBT activist group

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Dodgers get themselves into hot water, promoting Catholic-hating LGBT activist group

The Dodgers have a tough assignment performing for a Los Angeles market. Sure, the team has been successful for the past decade (except for the postseason), and sure the fans are less critical than certain east coast markets like Boston, New York, or Philly.

However, the Dodgers have an extremely diverse fanbase, and Los Angeles is a very diverse city. Ever since "Fernandomania" in the early '80s, which sprung from the success of Mexican pitcher Fernando Valenzuela, the Dodgers have had an extremely large Hispanic fanbase. That continues to this day, and was especially prominent at the game I attended last night, where it was "Mexican Heritage Night", and I was in the noticeable minority as a white guy.

But it goes beyond racial diversity. Being from LA, there's pressure on the team to take on modern woke values. It's not so easy for the Dodgers to just snap their fingers and do this, as it's likely to offend a lot of their older, more conservative season ticket holders, along with many of their culturally traditional Hispanic fanbase, which is becoming increasingly Republican over time.

After giving a clear nod to the 2020 BLM stuff, the Dodgers and MLB dialed back their involvement from that angle, and you don't see a trace of it anymore. (The moving of the 2021 All Star game from Atlanta to Denver was particularly obnoxious and nonsensical, but that was the last we saw of MLB and its idiotic foray into BLM social justice.)

But back to the Dodgers.

The have an LGBT night in mid-June. That by itself is not controversial in 2023. LGBT acceptance is now mainstream in 2020s society, and having a night celebrating LGBT people is not likely to cause a lot of controversy, even if it ruffles the feathers of some of the older conservative fans.

This year's LGBT Pride night is actually the 10th one they've held, so it's not exactly a new thing.

Unfortunately, this year they accidentally invited The Sister of Perpetual Indulgence. The problem? This is an extreme LGBT group with an obnoxious anti-Catholic message, and in fact their members dress up as nuns in clown face.

The "Sisters" -- who are all biological men, and many are not even trans -- dress up as sexualized versions of nuns, often wear clown makeup, and often engage in or encourage lewd acts. The group's motto is "Go and sin some more", a parody of Jesus' command, "Go, and sin no more".

Many people objected to the Dodgers inviting this polarizing group to LGBT Pride night, as the group mocks a particular religion, and can be considered just as hateful as a group mocking LGBT people.

I agree. I'm not Catholic nor any kind of Christian, but it's absurd to have a night aimed at tolerance and inclusion of one group, while mocking another in the process.

Imagine if the Dodgers had invited a group of mock Muslims, who showed up wearing plastic dynamite vests and proclaiming themselves to be terrorists. There would be an outrage, and rightfully so. Mocking Catholicism is no different. The "Sisters" should have the legal right to do so, but it should not be celebrated by a baseball team supposedly looking to increase tolerance and reduce hate.

The Dodgers have since backed off from this, and now both sides are angry at them. The left is mad that they buckled and rescinded the invitation to the "Sisters", and the right is mad that the invite occurred in the first place.

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1658908923213262848

This was likely a case of where the Dodgers didn't properly vet who was invited, and tasked the invite list to some woke staffer whose job it is to set these things up. This is why big corporations need to have better oversight regarding their own marketing and promotional efforts, and force a review by upper management when anything controversial is attempted -- under the threat of firing if such a review is not requested by the organizers.

Load Metric
    Amazing how the right has become everything they champion against.

LOL at a jew rushing to the defense of a global pedophile ring over a faggot in a clown costume. LOL at getting triggered by beer commercials etc.

Irony is dead.

Comments

dwai:
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloppy Joe View Post

LOL at a jew rushing to the defense of a global pedophile ring over a faggot in a clown costume. LOL at getting triggered by beer commercials etc.

Irony is dead.
    Sloppy Joe been on fire yall

Blog Entries
    Load Metric

Irony is dead.
    No, the difference is that I don't want the "Sisters" here cancelled. If they want to mock Catholics at demonstrations, parades, shows, or online, have at it.

This was an event supposedly to promote pride and inclusion, so it doesn't make sense to invite a hate group to it. Same concept as not inviting gay-bashing groups to participate a Christian night at the stadium.

The beer commercial backlash is just because corporations are now assisting in the woke propaganda machine, presumably because they have seen that conservatives suck at boycotting, whereas the left is very good at stirring up Twitter outrage. I support these backlashes because it will push corporations back where they belong -- into apolitical territory, except in matters which directly affect them.

Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post

Irony is dead.
    No, the difference is that I don't want the "Sisters" here cancelled. If they want to mock Catholics at demonstrations, parades, shows, or online, have at it.

This was an event supposedly to promote pride and inclusion, so it doesn't make sense to invite a hate group to it. Same concept as not inviting gay-bashing groups to participate a Christian night at the stadium.

The beer commercial backlash is just because corporations are now assisting in the woke propaganda machine, presumably because they have seen that conservatives suck at boycotting, whereas the left is very good at stirring up Twitter outrage. I support these backlashes because it will push corporations back where they belong -- into apolitical territory, except in matters which directly affect them.
    Conservatives now care about pride and inclusion and excluding hate groups?

The Catholics murdered gays for centuries and molest children with the efficiency of a factory line. They should be able to take all criticism without arousing the ire of conservative Facebook trigger groups.
    PokerFraudAlert...will never censor your claims, even if they're against one of our sponsors. In addition to providing you an open forum report fraud within the poker community, we will also analyze your claims with a clear head an unbiased point of view. And, of course, the accused will always have the floor to defend themselves.-Dan Druff

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Conservatives have reluctantly accepted these pandering "inclusion nights", but once they turn into platforming hate groups, the hypocrisy needs to be called out.

You can't have it both ways. If you're going to go the touchy-feely route of inclusion and love, you can't invite hate groups to deliver the message. If you don't want to have these pandering nights at all, that's also fine.

I don't give a shit about the Catholics themselves. They indeed have covered up a lot of the pedophilia in their ranks for a long time, and in fact pay for disgraced priests to live out their retirement, off the radar. This has never been properly shamed nor fully addressed in mainstream culture.

I will call out hypocrisy, though. If you want to have a night about loving gays and trans people, you can't mock Catholics at the same time.

Comments

ftpjesus:

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    As predicted, neither side is happy. Now the left is giving the Dodgers all kinds of shit.

LA Pride, another gay organization, cancelled their appearance, out of support for the Sisters.

https://twitter.com/lapride/status/1659355674500038656

Now it has come out that a Catholic Rights group pressured Commissioner Manfred to intervene in the situation. Some are now theorizing that Manfred browbeat the Dodgers into disinviting the Sisters:

https://twitter.com/PicazoKatherine/status/1659672035621220352

I hope this is a lesson to the Dodgers and all other sports organizations that performative political pandering has a potential cost. For quite some time, corporations believed that parroting left-wing values will win tolerance points, and satisfy any potential agitators in the woke social media mob. They assumed right wingers were too passive or not organized enough to mount any kind of sizable objection or boycott.

Now they see how this can blow up if you put yourself in the middle of a situation like this. There's no need for LGBT Pride night in the first place (what does that have to do with baseball?), but if you're going to have it, the groups being invited need to be carefully vetted to not have a history of offensive or extreme behavior. Otherwise you find yourself in a position like this.

Instead of this stupid Pride Night, the Dodgers should have just made some donations to respected and non-controversial LGBT advocacy groups, and been done with it.

Maybe all these various 2023 backlashes will finally force corporations out of fake political/social activism.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    The new elephant in the room.
    You said
    “For quite some time, corporations believed that parroting left-wing values will win tolerance points, and satisfy any potential agitators in the woke social media mob.”

Sounds bad because it is. Shit statements smell

Unravelled. “For quite sometime” undefined.
    Corporations have been caught in a lie? Please

Corporations have left the building. Millions are poverty stricken

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    You said
    “For quite some time, corporations believed that parroting left-wing values will win tolerance points, and satisfy any potential agitators in the woke social media mob.”

How is it a shit statement?

Corporations shouldn't get involved in these type of issues.

I do not want to see corporations pushing right wing values either. I just want them to deliver the product or service they're selling, and that's it.

If they wish to engage in charitable donations or efforts behind the scenes, aimed at helping marginalized groups, that's great. But if the goal is only pandering, it's going to backfire when it's a controversial or potentially controversial matter.

There is always a cost to a corporation publicly taking on a political or social cause.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Druff View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by limitles View Post
    You said

How is it a shit statement?

Corporations shouldn't get involved in these type of issues.

I do not want to see corporations pushing right wing values either. I just want them to deliver the product or service they're selling, and that's it.

If they wish to engage in charitable donations or efforts behind the scenes, aimed at helping marginalized groups, that's great. But if the goal is only pandering, it's going to backfire when it's a controversial or potentially controversial matter.

There is always a cost to a corporation publicly taking on a political or social cause.

You’re confusing the international efforts of many to profit wildly with a conscious thought
    You have no say as it stands
    You do not throw an alliance under the bus

To be clear you are making horrible insulations
    with no proof. Left, right doesn’t matter
    Assuming you are right? How do we clean this up?

You just fingered all media as “controlled” so who do you look to for support?
    Keep in mind politics are no longer identified by U.S borders
    Your fifty fifty shit show is no longer in play

The best thing said for democracy is “far many more will compete for the top rung”
    limitles
    r.i.p. BGC
    Last edited by limitles; 05-19-2023 at 04:41 PM.

Load Metric
    Stop being a fan now or you're just some whining faggot.

Comments

lol wow: dear god

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    That's the problem here.

I have been a fan since 1976 and always looked forward to baseball season.

Short of the Dodgers doing something shitty to me personally (very unlikely), I can't bring myself to give them up.

I felt the same way about MLB bowing down to the BLM scam in 2020.

They got scared of the left wing cancel mob here, and backtracked. This will be harder for conservatives to boycott, because it's not like there's competition. Unless you count the Angels.

It's a lot easier to boycott a certain beer and just order a different brand.

Zero chance they would honor a group mocking Muslims or Jews. However, Christianity is seen as an easy target, and is the one form of religion you can mock without cancellation.

Comments

Kuntmissioner: Christianity had a good run

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    This was especially dumb because the Dodgers don't need the hard left wing fanbase.

Their huge Hispanic contingent doesn't care about LGBT shit, and even the older liberal season ticket holders aren't completely on board with all the modern craziness.

Then there's the independent and conservative sports fans who think all of this is pandering BS.

They need to just stop kissing ass to the woke left, and they'll be completely fine.

Load Metric
    SO I guess the Dodgers would rather kiss the ass of the hateful LGBTQ group and risk alienating a bunch of their catholic and oh yeah Hispanic fna base with this shit.. Dodgers apparently missed the memo that Hispanics and Blacks dont tolerate this shit for the most part.. Its why Mayor fake breastfeeding Bootygig got thrashed in the primaries in 2020

Load Metric
    After the Sisters were removed from the Dodgers’ Pride Night, LA Pride dropped out of the event in solidarity.

The Dodgers understandably simply could not play baseball without the support of LA Pride. What would fathers tell their sons? This is Southern California after all.

I wonder what role that loser Andrew Friedman had in this debacle

It is a source of some kind of Yankee pride that they were the last to succumb to this nonsense. They resisted for years.

I don’t support all the other political bullshit surrounding sport either. The Memorial Day camouflage, Pentagon flyovers and Raytheon advertising is similarly inappropriate at a family sporting event. The Pentsgon pays baseball for that horseshit - so there is that. Sometimes brand image is more important than short term profit.

Black Lives Matter and all that should be fought in the streets not on the diamond or football field.

You won’t see that in a hockey arena.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanlmar View Post
    After the Sisters were removed from the Dodgers’ Pride Night, LA Pride dropped out of the event in solidarity.

The Dodgers understandably simply could not play baseball without the support of LA Pride. What would fathers tell their sons? This is Southern California after all.

I wonder what role that loser Andrew Friedman had in this debacle

It is a source of some kind of Yankee pride that they were the last to succumb to this nonsense. They resisted for years.

I don’t support all the other political bullshit surrounding sport either. The Memorial Day camouflage, Pentagon flyovers and Raytheon advertising is similarly inappropriate at a family sporting event. The Pentsgon pays baseball for that horseshit - so there is that. Sometimes brand image is more important than short term profit.

Black Lives Matter and all that should be fought in the streets not on the diamond or football field.

You won’t see that in a hockey arena.
    There was a "service member of the game" honored at the Dodgers game I attended last week. They've been doing it for awhile. As you mentioned, the military pays for this as a recruiting tool.

Whatever. That doesn't bother me. The service member being honored has his moment under the lights, and basks in the adulation of the crowd. I clap for the person, too. We need a military, and that military needs voluntary recruits, or otherwise it's draft time. As long as recruiting isn't dishonest, I'm fine with it, and it actually fits with baseball, because of its history as the "great American pasttime". There's an underlying patriotism to baseball. That's not why I go, but it has never bothered me.

But all of these other causes they've recently taken up... what the fuck? And I'm not just saying that because these are left wing causes. I wouldn't want to see "Get Tougher On Crime Night", or any other conservative themed cause pushed. All of this shit doesn't belong.

As much as you like to hate Friedman, I doubt he had anything to do with this. He's on the side of player development and acquisition. This was some woke department tasked with community outreach. They made a dumb mistake inviting the Sisters, and probably got overruled by team management, only for the powers-that-be finding themselves beaten down by the woke Twitter mob and reversing the decision.

This is actually worse than just leaving the Sisters invited and ignoring the concern. Here they actually fixed the mistake, then made it all over again, all within a span of days.

Shameful.

Blog Entries
    Load Metric
    If you want to hate on Friedman, though, look at the horrendous bottom of the lineup, the paper-thin bench, and the bullpen full of no-namers and castoffs.

Then remind yourself that this is the team with the highest attendance in MLB, and has the #2 TV market.

Load Metric
    Persecution is one of the signs of the end times.

‘Pride’ goeth before a fall.

Monsters can’t have the rainbow. The rainbow signifies that God will not reflood the world.

What’s coming is worse than a flood. Be ready.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

Ronald Reagan

Load Metric
    All men's sports should be boycotted until transgender men are allowed on the teams. Just look at what transgender women have done for women's sports. They've taken it to a new level of competition. Records being broken left and right.

If transgender men were allowed to compete in men's sports they would do the same thing, break all the records. The trannies would break all the baseball, football, basketball and hockey records. And of course they would be the best men's boxers and mixed martial artists. It's shameful that men's sports teams discriminate against transgender men.

If the Dodgers want to win they need transgender men on the team.
    POKER FAG ALERT! FOR BLOW JOB SEE SLOPPY JOE THE TRANNIE HO.

Thread Information